• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate And Discuss Their Chances: Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

@DakotaBonez: Is this for King K. Rool's final score or Ridley's? Because Ridley is the character up for prediction today before he is up for voting tomorrow.

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
K.Rool: pretty much all the stuff I said in the first topic. He has done more for the series then dixie any franchise with more then 2 characters should have an antagonist. K.rool has great potential as a fighter and with alt costumes. He has a huge fan base Want: 4.2/5

nominations
Lloyd Irving x3
Paper Mario x2

jigglover

Smash Lord
Plusle and minun x4
Kamek x1.

Onto K. Rool now. I have to say I haven't played a game with K. Rool in it, so I don't know about his significance in the Donkey Kong series. To put it straight, I think Sakurai would be stupid not to put both Dixie and K. Rool in SSB4; on one hand he dissappoints the dixie fans, on another he dissapoints the K. Rool fans. They both have a high chance of being clones but since K Rool will probably be a clone of Donkey Kong, Bowser, Captain Falcon and Ganondorf mixed, I'd say he wouldn't actually be a clone, so marginally, I think K. Rool should get in over Did - uh - Dixie. I give him a 3.42/5.
I give Ridley a predict of 4.38/5

Barbasol

Smash Ace
Ah King K. Rool, I know him most fondly from the cartoon, actually.

Well, from a design perspective looking at what we have for a character, I see a Dedede/Bowser hybrid. He will definitely be a heavy-weight, likely with quicker jabs and some oddball attacks like a crown toss or blunderbuss. I don't actually see him adding a whole lot in terms of diversity to the roster, both aesthetically or moveset wise, and I'm not sold on DKC getting a third character.

Popularity-wise, he's a Smash community favourite. But that's really about it. From a general gamer's perspective, he's just a villain that's been in several DKC games. I'd have to say he probably is rather overrated in his chances.

He's a cool character though, and I would have no problem seeing him make it. :)
I, and I'm sure this will probably end in some scoffing, give King K. Rool a 3.9.

Nominations:
Dark Samus x2
Kamek x1
K.K. Slider x2

Prediction:
Ridley 4.45

jigglover

Smash Lord
Ah King K. Rool, I know him most fondly from the cartoon, actually.

Well, from a design perspective looking at what we have for a character, I see a Dedede/Bowser hybrid. He will definitely be a heavy-weight, likely with quicker jabs and some oddball attacks like a crown toss or blunderbuss. I don't actually see him adding a whole lot in terms of diversity to the roster, both aesthetically or moveset wise, and I'm not sold on DKC getting a third character.

Popularity-wise, he's a Smash community favourite. But that's really about it. From a general gamer's perspective, he's just a villain that's been in several DKC games. I'd have to say he probably is rather overrated in his chances.

He's a cool character though, and I would have no problem seeing him make it. :)
I, and I'm sure this will probably end in some scoffing, give King K. Rool a 3.9.
Thank you! Somebody else who believes that K. Rool will be a clone/ not diverse enough to be on the character list/ both!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Thank you! Somebody else who believes that K. Rool will be a clone/ not diverse enough to be on the character list/ both!
Who cares about that

Smash is about getting together the group of the best/ most awesome nintendo characters and having them fight

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
Nominations

Dark Samus x2
Mewtwo
Isaac
Dixie Kong

Voting & Discussing

King K. Rool

Personal Bias: 4.35
Likelihood: 3.95

He would make such a great character with his quirkiness & "dirty fighting." He has an arsenal of moves & gadgets to choose from that would make him a very interesting fighter. The only argument against this deranged krocodile is that he wasn't in DKCR. Something so trivial wouldn't stop a king, would it? After all, Ganondorf is known to not make an appearance in a couple of LoZ titles.

He also has competition with Dixie Kong for the 3rd DK slot, however most agree that they want to see K. Rool first. Dixie Kong was originally programed for SSBB, but was removed due to complications. Sakurai may want to continue her development for SSB4. It is also possible that neither King K. Rool nor Dixie Kong will be playable in SSB4, or the complete opposite; they could both be playable.

Despite his obstacles, King K. Rool is one of the highest wanted characters for SSB4.

Prediction

Ridley: 4.75

:phone:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I give King K. Rool a 4.8 score. Being one of Donkey Kong's major antagonists, he really needs to show off his fighting capabilities.

yani

Smash Lord
I'll give K.Rool a 4.5. Easily one of the most wanted newcomers for Smash, as well as being the longtime antagonist of the highly praised DKC series makes him one of the best choices for Smash. Sakurai seems to love DKC, so that's always a plus.

Master_Morrison

Smash Cadet
hmmm well that is tough one seeing as there are many people that would argue he has been cut out of the recent dk game but i actually like him but moveset wise i think ssb4 team will be more creative seeing as it wasnt the last lazy team that made ssbb
but i would love to see dixie in because she has been my favorite dk character
i think his likelyhood would be a 3.9 in my book
and i would love to nominate:
Ninten
Rosalina
Micaiah(we need actual magic users in this game and from these game series lol its not all about sword wielding lords)
Ivy(Soul Calibur)
Morrigan(darkstalkers)

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
SSBF, I edited my post to include my K. Rool likelihood/want votes and Ridleys prediction vote.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I give K.Rool a 3.5.
I would have given him a 3, but there have been some convincing arguments around the boards as of late. I would prefer funky kong, personally.

VOTES
Shy Guy - 3
Chaos (Sonic) - 1
Funky Kong - 1

Ridley prediction? S. or 5/5. whichever is higher.

D

Deleted member

Checking if my sig works, sorry about double post.
The thing I've noticed about signatures is that depending it only shows up if your post goes above what your character count is for your signature. Sucks, giving that it confirms that if you want your signature to show up all the time, it needs to be very short.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
@DakotaBonez: Is this for King K. Rool's final score or Ridley's? Because Ridley is the character up for prediction today before he is up for voting tomorrow.
Argh why must ya gotta make it so complex man? Today's about K. Rool! Forget it. I'll stick to nominating.

Takamaru x5

...unless there are no nominations today...

Also signatures don't show up when you use quick reply instead of the post button.
I'm sticking with my likelihood score for K. Rool of 4.1
I'm predicting Ridley's likelihood will round out to 3.35

This is just as awkward as the last game. @_@

D

Deleted member

You'll get the hang of it DakotaBonez. Trust me, it's a lot simpler than the last format.

And yes, there are nominations every day.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Time for copy paste.

Ah, King K. Rool. In all honesty, he's the only character that I would be absolutely shocked and disappointed if they were to not be playable. He's got a plethora of potential for a moveset, with his crown, klaptraps, a Blunderbuss, a helicopter pack, cannonballs, boxing moves, and a giant machine that can wipe away an entire island. (Off topic, but now that I think about it, could the Subspace Cannon be a reference to the Blast-o-Matic?) He's got support stateside and in the land of the rising sun. Virtually nothing stands in his way. People may bring up DKCR, but the backlash of not including K. Rool is evident to his popularity. Plus, Diddy Kong missed Jungle Beat, and was still in Brawl. Not to mention his crazy psychotically funny personality.

I'd certainly give him a 4.9 for how much I want him. I will also predict that tomorrow, King K. Rool lands a 4.5 on average.

As for nominations, I'll put in 5x for Muddy Mole.

Did I do it right?

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
You're supposed to predixt for Ridley instead of K. Rool...
Which I guess makes sense because we're voting for Ridley tommorow. If we voted for Ridley today then you could predict his average by tallying up everyone's votes.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Much like Opossum, I shall copypaste what I have written out last time for King K.Rool.
(-l´l-);

It's quite evident that he's a major DK-character to yet make an appearance, and his character as a balanced funny but still ruthless and fearsome villain should already be given a spin for Smash. Unless Sakurai really doesn't care of completing DK's roster, he already seems pretty likely and has loads of popularity in the west. On the other hand he's not as big as Dixie on the east, but he's a noted character anyway there too. But it's still up to Sakurai to complete the DK-roster and if he feels like so.
Want: 3.78.
Likelihood: 4.45.

My prediction for Ridley: 4.76

Noms:

Saki x2

Toad x2

Starfy x1

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Whoops. In that case, I predict a 4.3 for Ridley. Sorry about that...

DarkSouls

Smash Apprentice
Kremling's pretty cool guy. He fights monkeys and doesn't afraid of anything.

I give King K. Rool a 4 for want and a 4 for likelihood.

I like King K. Rool, but I didn't play any of the games with him, so I feel a bit of indifference. It's like how a lot of people who aren't Metroid fans feel about Ridley. Still, I wouldn't mind another DK character, and his moveset potential is decent, so I gave him a 4. Plus, more villains is always appreciated, since the SSE really could have used some more recognizable antagonists.

I give him a 4 for likelihood, which is a bit generous. For all we know, we may not have another Donkey Kong rep in the next Smash game, and the big two, Donkey and Diddy, have already been put in. However, King K. Rool is still one of the most important characters in the series, and he also is very popular. I think fan demand might get him in, but we'll wait and see.

Want: 4.0
Likelihood: 4.0

For Ridley, I predict a 4.4. I like the number 4. :reverse:

Nominations
Dark Samus x 2
Pokemon Trainer
Zero Suit Samus
Krystal

D

Deleted member

Given that a fifteen minute break is not enough to make the process to a new day, I will extend Day Two until sometimes after 11 PM CST. Sorry for the delay.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Between Japan, Europe (his creators' country of origin) and America, K. Rool is quite possibly the most unanimously desired newcomer worldwide, and plays a major role in his franchise (he also has great moveset potential, but if we're not accusing characters of having no potential, I'll refrain from doing the opposite).

K. Rool wasn't in DKCR? Diddy wasn't in Jungle Beat. DKCR still gave the DK series the spotlight, justifying the inclusion of the series' villain.

Dixie provides competition? On what planet does a third Kong become playable over the main villain? This is one instance K. Rool's villainy is a reasonable argument, since most series' third representatives are villains. Dixie isn't more popular in Japan,

No, that is Mewtwo and Roy. Outside of those two, I have probably seen the most requests for Mega Man and K. Rool.
(seriously, people, stop using "he's not that popular in Japan" as a half-arsed argument)

let alone in America, and was only ever planned as a duo character. If the only reason her duo character status is an advantage to her is that it means she has a moveset planned, we should be considering the likes of Toon Zelda and Plusle & Minum as shoo-ins. A duo most definitely won't happen now, since it limits the representation Diddy provides. Alone, he represents DKC1, 2, DK64, Diddy Kong Racing, and many others, while a Diddy/Dixie duo represents DKC2 alone.

K. Rool gets a 5 for both want and likelihood. I fully expect his pre-release reveal between the time Diddy and Dedede were revealed for Brawl.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I give K. Rool a 4.5 for want, and a 4.375 for likelihood

My prediction for Ridley is 4.375 as well

I nominate:

Geno x2
Sukapon x2
Tom Nook

deuxhero

Smash Journeyman
Can I just vote for Ridley now?

Ridley:
Want: 4/5
Chance: 4.5/5
I think he is highly requested, and Brawl's addition of gliding and having a character that alreddy "flies" during his dash (Metaknight) mean the flight isn't a big problem. He's really the only viable new addition to Metroid, as the other contenders are from a finished sub-series. On the other hand, he is too big.

Nominate Kalas x5

D

Deleted member

Sorry for the delay, got off-tracked.

The day was winding down. The pressure was intense and the battle ground was heating up. After a day of heated debates, the votes were cast for King K. Rool.

With sixteen votes, King K. Rool achieved a high standard of 4.24. As for want, he achieved a 4.36 with ten votes.

King K. Rool was pleased. People did not doubt him and people loved him. That meant that no one was going to be mauled for their disobedience. He left, happily planning his revenge against the Kongs who made his life so miserable.

As he left, another beast came. Unlike K. Rool, he was not funny but was deathly serious. He induced fear into the people with him flying into the scene. The hearts of the audience pounded as they asked, would the one that came to them kill them?

This purple-like dragon had high expectations. He was the one that lead the space pirates to terrorize the galaxies. He was the one who mercilessly killed Samus's parent and made Samus an eternal rival of his.

He was Ridley.

Day Three has began! Voting for Ridley lasts until 12:15 AM CST on July 24th, 2012. You may predict the score Takamaru gets tomorrow as he has the most nominations.

I am giving Ridley a 3.5 in likelihood and a 2.5 in want. Also predicting that Takamaru gets a 4.06.

Will explain later as it is late in night.

@deuxhero: Now you can vote for Ridley. Just repaste what you have and I'll count it.

I nominate Mega Man, Mach Rider, Krystal, Lucario, and Mii

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Ridley was one of the chraracters I thought would be a shoe-in for Brawl. He has everything going for him: popularity, fan base, uniqueness, and epicness. He fulfills all the criteria that Sakurai goes by when deciding characters. However, I was saddened by his playable absence in SSBB. That being said, the Rid-meister has several things going against:

1. Ridley getting three strikes against him as a playable character. A fourth might be immenent.
2. Sakurai's argument against Ridley (hard to program and slow)
3. Metroid's lack of representation in Smash.
4. Ridley, while extremely popular, doesn't have the same amount of popularity in Japan compared to the West. Still requested though.

However, despite people claiming the dragon would be much too big and awkward, the Ridley thread has and continues to successfully counter-argue those points. Let's hope that the powerful space pirate makes his debut playable appearance in Smash 4.

My final score for Ridley is:

A Likeliness Score of: 4.35
A Want score of: 4.90

As for Takamaru, I predict a score of 3.90

My nominations are:

Dark Samus x2
Palutena x1
Nightmare (SoulCaliber) x1
Dixie Kong x1

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Oops, missed out on K.Rool (guess we're not doing the debate day then the voting day), ah well he got about what I would have given him anyway.

Since we're redoing Ridley, I won't get into a small discussion about him.

Likelihood: 3.5

jigglover

Smash Lord
I'm giving Ridley a chance of 4.65 and a want of 4.35, he has a lot of potential, but Nintendo will probably make him into a clone of charizard. Still, that would be OK since charizard won't be playable in SSB4 anyway. Well, he might, but that is pretty ulikely.

Show your support for Plusle and Minun! Vist: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=325551 now!

Nominate
Plusle and Minun x5

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
Nominations

Dark Samus
Isaac
Dixie Kong x2
Mewtwo

Voting & Discussing

Ridley

Personal Bias: 5
Likelihood: 4.75

Ridley is just plain awesome, to play as this ulimate villain would give me chills. He enjoys the pain & suffering of others; especially Samus's. He would rather wreak havoc with his own claws rather than sending his minons to do all the work, unlike Ganondorf & Bowser. Ridley will forever be Samus's eternal rival.

As a fighter, he has one well-known lame argument against him. Ridley has always been known as a large fearful beast in Metroid. Unlike Bowser, Ridley's size rarely fluncuates. I can understand how it might seem awkward for Ridley fans if he is scaled down so he can be grabbed by Samus. But size in smash games are hardly accurate compared to their video game counterparts. In fights, Ridley relies more on precision rather than body size. He wouldn't be a character that would use his shear size to fight with like Bowser or K. Rool; he would use his tail, claws, & energy attacks. Despite his frame, I see him a lighter & nimble compared to larger characters in smash. Metroid is one of Nintendo's most recognizable franchises & Samus looks quite lonely up there by herself. Ridley is & will always be the best 2nd character for Metroid. He doesn't have any competition from anyone else.

Prediction

Takamaru: 3.53

jigglover

Smash Lord
*Read above
This last comment is so true. On the note of size, I swear that Olimar used to think that grass was trees he was so small, now he's as tall as diddy kong. Just say that if someone starts using size as an excuse.

BTW. Who's Takamuru.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I give Ridley a 4.25 score. If Bowser can be resized, Ridley should be no big deal to resize either.

@jigglover: Takamaru is a samurai from the Japan-only title, Nazo no Murasame Jō. He also appears in the Wii version of Samurai Warriors 3.

yani

Smash Lord
I'll give Ridley a 3. A pretty darn popular character who should easily be the next Metroid rep. Sakurai is also aware that people were concerned as to whether he was planned for Brawl or not.

Shulk x 5

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
Its not only about the Bowser resize but Olimar too. I mean isn't he supposed to be like ant size? Maybe a bit bigger? Ridley is without a doubt the proper 2nd person that we need from metroid.
likelihood: 4.1
oh yeah Takamaru:
Want: 2.2
likelihood: 3.2
(I changed it from 3 to 3.2 because of his game in Nintendo Land)

Nominations: (you guessed it)
Lloyd Irving x3
Paper Mario x2

jigglover

Smash Lord
Thanks Mario and sonic guy.
Kisamefishfries, we're not voting Takamura today, that's for tomorrow.

Super smash bros. fan. I've thought of a good idea surrounding your game. On the day that we vote for a character, say, Ridley, (like we are now,) then you should put a link to the character's support thread on smash boards so that we can read through it and see if it sways our vote or not. If you want, then PM me and I'll find all of the support threads for nominated characters in the OP in the current order and send them back for you.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Ridley

Want- 4.12
Likelihood- 4.26

I believe that Ridley deserves to be a playable character due to the potential and popularity. But the popularity in Japan is much smaller, hence why the scoring is a tad lower then what's preferred.

As for Takamaru, I predict 3.79.

EDIT: Nominations are Starfy (x2), Palutena (x2), and Zoroark

deuxhero

Smash Journeyman
Ridley:
Want: 4/5
Chance: 4.5/5
I think he is highly requested, and Brawl's addition of gliding and having a character that alreddy "flies" during his dash (Metaknight) mean the flight isn't a big problem. He's really the only viable new addition to Metroid, as the other contenders are from a finished sub-series. On the other hand, he is too big.

Nominate Kalas x5

D

Deleted member

Like supporters have said, Ridley fits all four criteria. He's extremely popular, is definitely unique, and can easily fit in and contribute to the balance.

However, while there's no denying his popular and uniqueness, we have to ask ourselves, does Sakurai see him fitting into the game?

This question can go either way. Of course the size argument is garbage and has been destroyed over and over again, but if he does get in, he is going to be difficult to program (probably the hardest that isn't a third-party) and Sakurai may show hesitant towards adding him because of how hard it would be to get him to fit.

This one question decides Ridley's faith in this game. If Sakurai sees a challenge like this as worthy (and there's a good chance he does), he'll be in, no doubt about it. However, the possibility does exist that Sakurai sees him as too complicated to add and he won't be in if that's the case.

Either way, this is likely Ridley's last shot at the roster. If Sakurai doesn't put him in now, he likely won't consider him again. While I am not particularly interested in him, I do hope he gets for the supporters because he is one of the most deserving characters not in a Smash game yet and like King K. Rool, Mewtwo, and Little Mac, it wouldn't be a Smash 4 without him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom