• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate And Discuss Their Chances: Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Glad that K. Rool did well. Ah, now we're onto Ridley.

Now, Ridley is awesome. That cannot be denied. It just can't. Plus, he fits all 4 criteria to a tee. Who wouldn't want to play as a deadly awesome fire-breathing purple skeletal space pterodactyl who constantly comes back from the dead? Now, detractors always use the size "argument." However, it holds no grounds, as size was never iconic or important to Ridley's character. Even then, resizes can happen.

I give Ridley a 5 in want.
In likelihood, I give him a 4.34

I predict a 3.5 for Takamaru.

Also, chalk up another x5 for Muddy Mole.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'll give Ridley a 4.8 for want, and a 4.5 for likelihood

I'm pretty sure Sakurai is aware of Ridley's popularity from Brawl, and while saying he didn't think how Ridley could be a character while developing Brawl, made the comment he probably could have made it work if he tried.

Prediction for Takamaru: 3

Nominations: Geno x2, Sukapon x2, Tom Nook

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Ridley

Want: 4.0

Likelyhood: 4.3

I just hope Sakurai might not still think as unenthutiastically as before when it comes to adding Ridley, because this might and ferocius beast of purple wickedness deserves to be in Smash for Samus to finally fight against someone familiar only to her. And adding to his vast popularity and importance to Metroid-series overall, this one shall not be missed from being added as the next villain fighter for Smash Brothers 4.

I predict Takamaru to get 3.9 tomorrow.

Noms:

Isaac x2

Starfy x1

Lip x2

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
After doing some things, I am back.
Anyways, Ridley, I never played any Metroid game except for Super Metroid, so Ridley gets :
3 in want
and 3.7 in likelihood
I do believe that Sakurai will put a new Metroid rep in SSB4, so it's probably going to be him, due to him being the most popular and etc., though, we need to consider the fact that Sakurai may not consider him due to being rather 'difficult' to implement, as he is constantly seen flying and things like that.

I predict Takamaru will get a 3.4 tomorrow.

Nominations :
Waluigi x4
Roy

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I give Ridley a 4.8 in want and a 5 in likelihood.

If anyone has a compelling reason Ridley would be excluded, please post it, because the biggest (heh) ones are too exhausting to delve into. I don't consider "Japanese popularity" a good counterargument, since a lack of it did not hinder Sonic in the slightest.

Honestly, I cannot envision SSB4 without him, as that would essentially be...K. Rool, Megaman, and a bunch of C-list protagonists and supporting characters. With Brawl, there were countless other shoo-ins to add to the point where Ridley's omission was tolerable, but that's certainly not the case anymore.

Like with K. Rool, Sakurai's idiocy is the -only- reason Ridley would be excluded. I sincerely doubt this will be the case.

Predicting a 3.5 for Takamaru.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Ridley is one of Nintendo's few legendary villians that aren't playable yet. He went face-to-face with the Hunter (Samus Aran) in most Metroid games and is always revived via mechanics or cloning. He would be another character with a beastly personality and moveset and is VERY popular. He'd be another character to appeal to the American Smash fanbases. I'd give a 5 for want, but his likelyhood would be rated as a 4.7.

:phone:

DarkSouls

Smash Apprentice
However, while there's no denying his popular and uniqueness, we have to ask ourselves, does Sakurai see him fitting into the game?

This question can go either way. Of course the size argument is garbage and has been destroyed over and over again, but if he does get in, he is going to be difficult to program (probably the hardest that isn't a third-party) and Sakurai may show hesitant towards adding him because of how hard it would be to get him to fit.
Smash has already had some pretty tough-to-program characters, Ice Climbers being a prominent example.

Why do you think Ridley will be especially hard to program? We've already had flying characters and we've already had characters with disjointed hitboxes (If the tail is to be a disjointed hitbox). Is it too difficult to combine the two?

D

Deleted member

Smash has already had some pretty tough-to-program characters, Ice Climbers being a prominent example.

Why do you think Ridley will be especially hard to program? We've already had flying characters and we've already had characters with disjointed hitboxes (If the tail is to be a disjointed hitbox). Is it too difficult to combine the two?
I think it more comes down to the answer Sakurai gave to the fans.

As we know, Sakurai stated along the lines of "he'd be impossible, but we may have gotten him in had we put our best effort into it." Of course we can tell that Sakurai doesn't consider Ridley to be impossible, since reading between the lines, you know that isn't the case, but I think what he was really trying to say is that if he gets in, he'll be difficult to implement.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
:O :c :( :urg: :,'( You din't have to tell me! It was fine how it was! (fake cries, rolls over dead.)
lol it is fine my feathered friend

I think I forgot to vote for want for Ridley

Allow this to be my final post on his scores

Want : 5/5
Predicted : 5/5

I don't think they can't not exclude Ridley.

Todays nominations if I still have that
Ray MK - 1
Funky Kong - 1
Shy Guy - 1
Sukapon - 1
Dark Samus - 1

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Want: 2.5
Prediction: 3.5

It's hard to go back after Subspace Emissary.

D

Deleted member

A day of turmoil terrorized the community. Ridley was like a madman, chasing down victims and killing them as the voters watched in fear. They all knew that they had to send in result and without results, Ridley would kill them all.

After twenty-four hours of debating, Ridley received a very strong score of 4.01 and seventeen votes. This was one of the rare cases where he smiled. However, he was seen as slightly less favorable than King K. Rool but Ridley didn't care, as he had a 4.19 with fifteen votes.

He then saw someone that was neutral on him. Ridley picked him up by the mouth, threw him, and burned his corpse in victory. Positive reaction was a must as he was the "Cunning God of Death."

However, much to a person's fortune, deuxhero won the prediction. He happily enjoyed the five extra nominations that he could spend.

After that drama, Takamaru walked gracefully into the area. The crowd cheered on as he walked to the center to be judged. As he threw down his sword, the speculation began; would Takamaru be in the next Smash?

Day Four has began! Today, you will be voting for Takamaru and predicting what Dark Samus gets tomorrow. Day ends at 11:50 PM CST

Edit: Need to include Starphoenix's vote. Wait as I adjust this a little. However, you may vote for Takamaru now (Opossum, wait to see if you still won before you put in ten nominations).

Edit: Starphoenix's vote added. deuxhero wins instead.

D

Deleted member

Too tired right now, but I'll throw in a 4.5 for want, a 2.34 prediction for Dark Samus, and I give a likelihood vote of 4.2 for Takamaru. This will be explained when I'm not dead tired.

I nominate Ghirahim, Lucario, Krystal, Mega Man, and Mach Rider.

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
Takamaru:

Want: 3.9
Likelihood: 4.2

I started supporting him when they included his franchise in "Nintendo Land" for the Wii. (Weak reasoning, I know haha) but this, I feel, is the first logical step into bringing the franchise to western familiarity. I see him being included this time around, despite low popularity.

Prediction for Dark Samus:
Wants: 3.2
Likelihood: 2.7

and I'm kinda confused about the Nomination process? Did it get restarted? I don't see my personal nominations in the current list.

Here they are, if needed (changed from last time, if that's important or not):

Masked Link x2
Chibi-Robo x3

Thank You, SSB Fan :)

DarkSouls

Smash Apprentice
Takamaru? 3 for prediction. He's a retro character, which are always hard to predict; I'm sure few expected ROB in Brawl. He was originally in an old, Japanes-only NES game, which seems like a death sentence; if you look at Smash Bros, the only Japanese-only characters so far were the original Fire Emblem crew, and Fire Emblem is a much more successful series.

However, the character still has quite a bit going for him, which is why he's at 3 instead of something lower. For a character that old, he has a ton of cameos, including very prominent ones in Captain Rainbow and, more importantly, Nintendo Land. These outings might be foreshadowing for a Takamaru reveal. He also has a surprisingly large fanbase in both the West and Japan.

How much I like him? 3.0. I like characters from unrepresented franchises; Smash Bros would get old if it degraded into a Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon fest. Hell, if he gets in Smash Bros and then becomes popular, he might receive a reboot just like Pit did! He also has a sword, and swords are always fun in fighting games. However, I think there are other, more interesting retro characters and characters from unrepresented franchises that could be used.

For Dark Samus, I predict a 3.0.

So in summary...

Likelihood: 3.0
Want: 3.0
Dark Samus: 3.0

Yeah, I'm lazy when it comes to making numbers.

Also...
5 Ray model nominations!

D

Deleted member

@Onyx: Yes, I restarted the game because the last system was so complicated that almost no one could understand.

Also, from here on out, you can nominate five times for anyone eligible every day.

Also, you don't get to predict how well Dark Samus does in want. That is only for likelihood.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
1.5 in want, 4 in likelihood.

He's at the top of the list in terms of characters for Sakurai to revive, with the only other notable one being...Mach Rider? I think Takamaru will basically fill the same role Pit did in Brawl, albeit in a less interesting manner: he'd essentially become Marth with a projectile. But I digress, he still seems decently popular all-around and still gets quite a few mentions despite his most notable appearance being decades old.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I can easily see Takamaru being in the next Smash. He has many things going for him such as recent popularity through Nintendo Land and that new Samurai game that came out. As well, he would have a unique playstyle involving katana-based attacks. However, there are many more retro characters that could also use an revival such as Prince Sable, The Duck Hunt Dog, Mach Rider, etc etc. It all depends on several factors:

1. How important is Takamaru within Nintendos history?
2. What can Nintendo do for Takamaru post-Smash Bros.?
3. What would make Takamaru unique and cause hype for players.
4. Why does Takamaru warrant a revival?

My Likelihood Rating: 3.90
My Want Rating: 2.00

My prediction for Dark Samus: 3.50

My nominations:

Palutena x4
Bowser Jr. x1

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Likelihood: 3.75
Want: 4.5

Pretty sure with all the talk that Sakurai has said about retro characters, it's probably one he's had on his mind for quite a while, Takamaru or not. But if it is him, Sakurai certainly has made it out that he'd be a good fit for Smash in the past, only being a Japanese only character being the reason he's been held back (probably like Sukapon).

Now Takamaru is a character that both Sakurai and the Japanese have been talking about for quite a while now. Nintendo seems to have him in their thoughts with cameos in Warioware and Captain Rainbow, his game (with a localized name, which may have had a possible translation patch) being a part of the 3D Classics line at E3 2010, being playable in Samurai Warriors 3 (which was localized) with his design being created by Nintendo themselves, and now a mini-game for Nintendo Land. Everything is in place to make him Pit #2.

deuxhero

Smash Journeyman
Likelihood: 4.75. A little high, but Sakurai said he would be in if he ever got another game, which Samurai Warriors 3 and Nintendo Land may or may count as. Admittedly, he said it after Melee and he may have changed his mind, but it still says he is quite possible.
Want: 3.5 Neither intrested nor disintrested, but I always do like obscurer characters getting love
Nominate: Kalas x5, Anna x5

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Want: 3, Likelihood: 3.5

Nominate:
Geno x2
Sukapon x2
Tom Nook

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Want: 5. Likelihood: 4.25

He is a rather fresh start of a new breed of swordman who has a more eastern fighting style of magic, ninja tools, and katana slices. He did at least makes a few international appearances (Nintendo Land, Samurai Warriors 3, ect) to gain a cult American fanbase in the Smash community. His game was to Zelda like Kid Icarus was to Metroid. Similar, but harder and more obscure. He is very popular in Japan and would be someone to appeal to them and gain interest for a reboot. He is arguably the best choice of a retro character due to these reasons.

Nominations
3x Palutena
1x Daisy
1x Tom Nook

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Takamaru

Want- 3.45
Likelihood- 3.22

The major hurtles are being obscure and exclusive to Japan. But he's still a perfectly viable characters. In fact the release of Nintendo Land is pretty good timing to support Takamaru.

I'm predicting Dark Samus to be a 1.83.

Also nominating Starfy (x2) and Palutena (x3)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
A 3.5 score for Takamaru. Being mostly a Japan character does seem like a hindrance, but his appearance in the Wii version of Samurai Warriors 3 should make up for it.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Takamaru
Like Pit, Takamaru was banished to the deep pit of obscurity as the Legend of Zelda overshadowed his game. His recent appearance in Nintendo Land hints at strong chances of a new reboot, this along with the revival of Pit hint at increased interest in retro series the likes of Nazo No Murasamejou.
I see his competition being along the lines of the Shin Onigashima franchise.

Want - 4
Likelihood - 4.6

Prediction for Dark Samus - 1.1 (High chance of a dark samus alt costume though)

Nominations

Chibi Robo x5

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I was so close to winning. Why, Starphoenix, why? Joking, of course.

Takamaru? Okay.

He is definitely a retro rep's biggest hurdle. Takamaru's got many things going for him. Amazing moveset potential, popularity...except that he is also currently from a Japanese-only game. Sakurai is very wary about adding Japanese only characters. The Fire Emblem characters almost didn't make it to the American Melee...even after that, the only Japanese-only character added was Lucas, who was from a series that in itself wasn't Japanese only. I'm not sure he'd go for adding a Japan-only retro character.

Now, I know that Sakurai stated that if Takamaru ever gets another game, he'll likely get in Smash, but that's the problem...

You see, in Samurai Warriors 3, they remade his game to fit the gameplay style of the game, iirc. I'm not sure if a remake counts in Sakurai's eyes. He also has a minigame in NintendoLand...where he doesn't appear, to my knowledge. Then there was a minor cameo in Captain Rainbow! He didn't really do anything important, and Captain Rainbow was a flop. I believe Sakurai meant another game of his own series, and in this case, it has yet to happen.

As far as want, I'll give him a 2.3
As far as likelihood, I'll give him a 2.8

It's been said, retros are tough to predict, but seeing as he has competition with Mach Rider and Muddy Mole, for example, he's not at a shoo-in status, in my opinion. There's a good seven or so characters ahead of him in that regard in my eyes.

Nominations: Muddy Mole x5

Prediction for Dark Samus: 2.1

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
Nominations

Mewtwo x3
Isaac
Dixie Kong

Voting & Discussing

Takamaru

Personal Bias: 4
Likelihood: 3.72

Takamaru is one of those characters whose series I would love to be revived. He's a samurai who can utilize ninja & magic abilities, awesome right? :awesome:

He has received many cameos lately & his popularity is continually growing in the East & West. Takamaru's original game, however, was a Japan exclusive; this could hurt his chances. He recently has made an international appearance in Samurai Warriors 3 so he isn't technically an exclusive anymore.

Prediction

Dark Samus: 2.58

D

Deleted member

Takamaru

I think he'll be showing up as a playable character this game.

Takamaru does everything to fulfill Sakurai's four criteria. He fulfills the first criteria because he's highly requested in Japan and is decently popular. Of course he also meets the second criteria as he has a lot of potential to go by. Ninja stars, magic, and katana can all make for an unique and satisfying move set. Him fulfilling the third and fourth criteria should be obvious as well. I don't think Sakurai will have any qualms adding him.

Regarding the Japan-only status, this can be argued. Given that Takamaru has made multiple worldwide appearance and even got a remake of Nazo No Murasame Jo inside Samurai Warriors 3, I would say that he has broken out of Japan-only status and will receive more worldwide exposure.

Like Opossum stated, Sakurai said that if Takamaru were to get a new game, he would probably be in Smash. Since he did not state that a sequel was needed, I would say that a remake does suffice as a new game.

Really, the only major obstacle I can think of that could prevent Takamaru's inclusion is if we get one or two retro reps. If one, I could see Mach Rider getting in over Takamaru since Takamaru has, in a way, been "revived", so I doubt Sakurai will make a new game based off Nazo No Murasame Jo. However, if there were to be two reps, I'd say that given that Lip and Duck Hunt Dog fail to meet the first criteria, that Takamaru and Mach Rider will probably be in together. Right now, I am heavily leaning towards two retro reps.

@PsychoIncarnate: Not to sound picky, but could you please explain why you made the choice you did for Takamaru's likelihood? I don't want to have to skip over your vote.

yani

Smash Lord
I feel like Takamaru has a pretty darn good shot now based on what Sakurai has said as well as his game getting a very unexpected form of representation in Nintendo Land. I'll give him a 3 for likelihood.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Want: 3.5
Likelihood: 4.3

I don't know too much of the character to really care for him, hence my above average score of 3.5, but I do believe we could use a new Nintendo character in the roster to represent a completely different series. As for my likelihood score, sure, he's from a Japan-only game, but that never exactly stopped Marth and Roy from appearing in Melee, and as a result people had an interest in Fire Emblem, so who's to say Takamaru's inclusion won't do the same for the series he originated? Tie in the fact that he's a highly requested character in Japan, and is seeing a rise in interest in other countries (U.S.A. in particular), and you've got a character who has a good shot at seeing an inclusion.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
Likelihood: 4.2
Want: 2.5

The reasons for why Takamaru is likely have been stated. His recent revivals, even if not full-blown games, are probably enough taken together for Takamaru to be considered a resurrected franchise. The original game is loved in Japan, he can have a cool ninja and samurai-inspired moveset, and Sakurai likes him.

Although I'm not really against him by any means, I find other characters more appealing than Takamaru. I've never been interested in Japanese ninja or samurai archetypes, so he warrants a low "want" from me.

I'm not predicting today.

Nominations:
Dillon x3
Muddy Mole x2

D

Deleted member

Going to work now.

There are less than ten hours left to this day.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
@PsychoIncarnate: Not to sound picky, but could you please explain why you made the choice you did for Takamaru's likelihood? I don't want to have to skip over your vote.
He's a one shot Japanese only character. Sure he's made some cameo's over the years but not anymore than Little Mac. And Little Mac's had a lot more games, including a recent revival. He may appear as a minigame in Nintendo Land, but until they have some serious talk over a new title or at least show real interest I'm not buying it. I'm also not seeing the fan demand factor that had Pit held in such high esteem.

Other than some catchy music, his game isn't that memorable, using the zelda engine nowhere near it's potential. It's nice to have a Samurai, quite different than some of the other characters -- sort of. I'd argue even with the European themes, the fighters of Fire Emblem are much closer to Japanese Samurai in fighting style as well as personality, etc. Takamaru even throws Shuriken, which makes you think more of a Ninja than Samurai. Shuriken and Kunai were not Samurai weapons. Samurai were nobles who used sophisticated weapons such as swords and bows. Ninja's used tools and anything else they thought could kill because they were often poor folk used as mercenary killers. Even though he looks to be a ronin, and they are going for a Japanese feel in general...

If they revive it they could probably make the series good. However, on his own merit he doesn't seem very memorable and a lot of his fans and supporters seem to like him because they think he's going to be put in the game.

jigglover

Smash Lord
No no no... Takamura will probably not get in. As stated before, Sakurai does not like adding Japanese only characters, and definately not starting a new japanese-only series. He might be highly requested in Japan, but more people probably buy it in the west (including UK) anyway, so they get the majority. I give him a mere 0.2 for want, and 0.8 for likelihood. Prediction for dark samus is 3.14.
Nominations... you guessed it!
Plusle and Minun x5

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Dark Samus
prediction - 3

Takamaru - still don't know who he is. want - 0, because I don't care about forgotten characters like him in the slightest, I think the way should be instead open to important characters, like waluigi, or an animal crosser.

expect? I'm not even going to vote here, I feel my prediction would have no logical merit seeing as just heard of the guy.

*shrug

VOTES
Ray MK - 2
Shy Guy - 2
Funky Kong - 1

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
Takamaru:
want: 0.5
likelihood: 3.2
He has a decent chance with him having a game in Nintendoland and all but I jsut have no love for the guy.

Nominations:
Lloyd Irving x3
Paper Mario x2

D

Deleted member

@samusrules93: How is Waluigi important?

And Nazo No Murasame Jo being a sister game to The Legend of Zelda warrants some importance to Nintendo's history.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
@samusrules93: How is Waluigi important?

And Nazo No Murasame Jo being a sister game to The Legend of Zelda warrants some importance to Nintendo's history.
To me, leeching off another games engine seems more lazy than an important historical fact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom