• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A "Rate my bowser" Thread - Post YOUR bowser vids here

WarriorKnight

Smash Ace
New Great Bowser Vids*

Sorry for the long delay ppl. I finally got around and managed to get all these pro vids uploaded in very HIGH quality for all bowser enthusiasts to really enjoy.

Set #1 WarriorKnight (Bowser) Vs. Benteezy (Falco)

Set #2 WarriorKnight (Bowser) Vs. Benteezy (Falco)

Set #3 WarriorKnight (Bowser) Vs. Benteezy (Falco) <-- Great set

Set #4 WarriorKnight (Bowser) Vs. Benteezy (Falco)

Set #5 WarriorKnight (Bowser) Vs. Benteezy (Falco)

All counterpick and regular stages are used throughout all these sets so you can get a general idea how well you can utilize these stages when used against you.

Hope you guys enjoy.

P.S. Stay tuned for me and DJN's double bowser team matches that are full of destruction lol.

Hatacatan

Smash Cadet
Amazing stuff, DJ Nintendo and Warriorknight, I really enjoyed watching your videos! It is awesome to seehow you actually perform combos on your opponents like DJ did at 7:22.
Cool mindgames in those vids.

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
Alright, here are my vids. I can get vids of someone a little closer to my level later, but this should suffice. Any advice from the bowser pros is much appreciated

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0WheV4f97A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6LuwkTkaBg <-Almost won!
I don't know anything about ICs, since Scotland doesn't really have an Icies main, nor am I a pro but I'll throw in my own tidbits.

I'm watching the second match.

General tech skill could do with a polish. Bowser tech skill isn't difficult, but you need to be consistent. A few missed l-cancels, not sure how many of your aerial up-bs were meant to be grounded.

At 0:25 you get thrown and jump out and attempt a back air. When you're being put into pressure in the air, nair and fair should be your default options.

I fair when I know they're approaching my front and they've commited to attacking me at that time. Otherwise, nair gives better overall cover and the hitbox stays out for a while.
You really should only be bairing when you're the aggressor and you're fairly sure it'll hit.

Random Upsmash at 0:36. I'll come back to that.
Random firebreath at 0:46

I'm also noticing there's not much shielding going on. Maybe that's just this match up, I have no idea. This advice might be terrible for this particular match up, but just shielding and seeing how they react is often a good option. For example, at 1:30 you shield and wait for the attack, and it pays off. Then at 1:40 you shield, but just let it go when he approaches you. I'm not quite sure what you were meaning to do there, but it looked like you wern't doing anything out of shield.

2:00 you ftilt nana off... then do nothing for a second and then get baired by popo.

2:20 you ftilt popo off once, twice, three times. Then you just expect the 4th to happen and filt, when he's clearly going higher.

Basically all the above stuff is you need to think more instead of auto-piloting it. Particularly crucial during edgeguarding. Bowser has a solid edgeguard game, but all of his moves are situational, he doesn't have a move that covers all options. You need to watch your opponent more, and think about what they're doing, and think about what you're doing.

Do you watch Bowser when you're playing, or your opponent? You should be doing the latter.

2:54 you try a fsmash lol. But yeah, it's friendlies so it's not that big a deal. I just hope when you're playing serious games you don't fsmash much except when it's guaranteed.

I won't go into detail over the rest of the video but it's pretty much the same thing. Watched the first one too. Random down b that missed the edge, random fsmash on top platform. Fsmash on nana was lulzy though.

Anyway, general overview.

I think you've got the essentials down, but you need to work on a few things.

1. Think more when you're playing. You should have a reason behind every move, not just randomly throwing out stuff.
2. Be less predictable. Particularly when recovering, you pretty much just did up b to the centre of the stage. Try going for the edge, airdodgding etc.
3. The main point, experiment more. Bowser has a lot more than just filt, upb, shffl fair and upair. Try using empty jumps, full jumps, uptilt, shield, WAVELANDS etc. Your bowser is very formulaic currently. If you shorthop 9 times out of ten you do a shffl fair. It's also pretty static. You can run around and move more.

Just in your spare time play around with new ideas, and just put them into effect into friendlies. See in what ways it works, what ways it doesn't.

Sorry for it taking so long for you to take a response man. I don't think I'm the best bowser out there, but someone has to step it up. It'd be good to see more videos from you though, especially against other characters.

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
I have a few friendlies of my bowser from a smashfest a month ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHj9WbOCS98
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ClGlCjChiI

There's a third video on FD where i die twice in like 30 seconds, not worth linking here imo but easy to find if you want a good laugh :p Also, I forgot to mention that these are doubles friendlies
I wish I could say something but I know nothing about doubles haha. If you had anything with singles I could spraff my nonsense for a good bit, but for this someone else will need to step in.

Your bowser looks pretty solid though. That's all I have to say XD

Phiddlesticks

Smash Lord
ill try to get some singles videos recorded, ive really been itching to record some since ive been playing a lot more melee in the past few months. i feel like a lot of the rust has been shaken off since those doubles matches happened too

TheGoat

Smash Ace
Hey thanks a bunch for the advice, I really appreciate how in depth you went to explain everything. Back here my tech skill was indeed very bad, and I need to get that perfectly down; as you said, bowser's tech skill isn't hard to master. I've been focusing more on falco lately, but still. And I need to get less predictable instead of spamming the same aerials and such. I'll take in all of what you said.

As for your vids: I will try and return the favor. Although I'm a very novice bowser, I'll give it my best.
There isn't a whole lot I can say so hopefully more pro bowsers will chime in, but I know crouch canceling is pretty effective against falcon, so give that a shot. Also, you often get punished for missing a grab, you might want to mix in some jump-canceled grabs in there.

Occasionally, you also roll when unnecessary. Like at match 2, at about 2:05 when you come back from the ledge, you just roll and almost get punished for it.

Lastly, DJ Nintendo has some vids of his bowser vs some real good players, including a falcon. So if you haven't done so already, watch some of those and see what he is doing. I hope this helped.

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
Why would you ever jump cancel bowser's grabs? :/

They're both so horrendously slow that you'll get punished if you miss, may as well get that extra range from Bowser lunging when you dash grab, than trying to reach with his little t-rex arms.

But yeah, I'm definitely going to experiment with CC more, and less time in shield.

PNaleek

Smash Journeyman
Why would you ever jump cancel bowser's grabs? :/

They're both so horrendously slow that you'll get punished if you miss, may as well get that extra range from Bowser lunging when you dash grab, than trying to reach with his little t-rex arms.
Lies. Both JC grabs and regular dash grabs are both useful. I use both of them whenever the situation calls for it.

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
Then what situation is a JC grab better for?

From a running position, dash grabs will come out quicker (or at the same time as a JCGrab, if you are frame perfect), lasts longer and has more range. The downside is ~40 frames of lag, rather than ~30 frames.

From a standing position, dash grabs will come out 2 frames (or more) slower, but lasts longer and has about DOUBLE the range of a standing grab. Same lag frames as stated before.

And to address the end lag.

30 frames of lag is still horrendous, you'll get punished either way. Unless you expect your opponent to just run straight into you, in most scenarios they'll be either in, or just outside your grab range. If you miss the grab, you /should/ get punished, regardless of whether you have 30 or 40 frames of ending lag.

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
Watched it, good stuff.

Was YS his or your CP? I wasn't really paying attention >_>.

xGojirax

Smash Rookie
Smooth Bowser...all I can say is that at YS....they should never get back on once knocked off at a decent %. And by decent I mean 50%+

One thing about the Koopa claw. Never let Bowser bite when they are at mid to high % because instant Koop claw throws can be hard to DI. Once they are trained to DI his back throw instant forward throw once they are trained to that back throw. This kinda turns into a 50/50 If you forward throw and they dont DI your U-air Kills them(on Yoshis Story). If they DI forward thinking of getting thrown into an up air...his back throw becomes that more potent. If only the forward throw was not so slow.

I miss smash =(

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Klaw mixups are cool. Regardless of the DI or which direction you throw them, they're still put in a bad position. But I understand how conditioning could get you a few extra free hits or an early gimp. :)

Jonas

Smash Champion
Pretty cool Boozer =)
I'd just like to remind you though to never miss a Klaw opportunity.
Like at 1:25 not only would you not have whiffed a Bair (which would have connected btw had you but delayed your attack a bit), you could also have killed him with a Bthrow. Same again at 5:03 when for some reason you chose to attack him with Dair instead of killing him with a Klaw Bthrow :)

Fair is really good though, but I feel like it should be used for spacing and edgeguarding and stuff (though it's really nice that you jumped over a lot of his whiffed attacks and punished with it), but you often came down and attacked him from above with Fair. It's pretty good since he didnt really make any attempts to shield your aerials, but if he did, you'd want to use more Klaw.

Jonas

Smash Champion
Yup, if you're gonna grab someone with Bowser, better make it running grab :)
Fortress OoS isn't that good if your opponent knows how to space his attacks on your shield, but if he doesn't, whirl away! Certainly better than Bowser Bomb =)

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Hi guys. As you know I lurk all the boards. Behind Falco and DK, Bowser is my pocket. Critique meh boozer plz http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONpIN1grcBs
About those dairs...I'd use 'em less if I were you. The lag time is pretty significant and there are probably other aerials you could be doing. For example, at 1:05, you whiffed a SHFFL'd dair which, even though you L-cancelled it, was promptly punished by his grab. I'd say a SHFFL'd nair would have done the job just as well and it has much less lag time. There were other times too when they they didn't really benefit you that much. At 1:40, you tried to use it as a GTFO move while you recovered back to the stage. Again, I'd say that nair, and maybe even upB, generally do this better. Other than that, I'd say your Bowser looks pretty good. Nice stuff! ;)

Around 3:05, it probably would have been better if you had upB'd out of shield when he came down on top of you and hit your shield w/ dair. Not only would you have hit him successfully, but you could have retreated off that ledge to safety due to the low lag of an aerial upB (which is what grounded upB's turn into when you slide off platforms).

Edit: I'm typing stuff as I watch the set, so there will probably be more additions.

E-102 Gamma

Smash Journeyman
Say, how DOES one record a Melee match? I'd love to post a video, but as far as recording a match and putting it on YouTube goes, I wouldn't know where to start.

From my understanding of it so far, I guess I need a capture card and a laptop/PC near the TV. The latter would be problematic as I don't have a (good) laptop and there aren't any PCs near any TVs that I'd be recording off of. Is there a method that doesn't involve any PCs or laptops?

Edit: My post count is now the meaning of life, the universe, and everything.

Top Bottom