• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Read THIS before asking how to do something - Terms and Advanced Tech

greenblob

Smash Lord
I noticed a lack of team tatics on here, so I'll list the couple that I can come up with from the top of my head:

Jigg's pound save--Pound always shoots the person you hit vertically and to the opposite direction you're facing, so it's useful in saving your teammate.
Ness' heal--kinda obvious, but if you're playing Ness and your teammate has an energy-based projectile attack, he can heal you

ant-d

Smash Lord
Pressing Down can cancel your dash into a turn...

If you press down and then "left/right" you can turn around no matter what dash frame one is in.

To put it another way: There are some frames when dashing where you cannot turn around quickly. If you press down then turn around, you will turn no matter what... It's awesome. It's very good for running in and then turning around to avoid attacks, when otherwise you would not be able to turn around.

The original poster should make the terms BOLD or something so they are different from the text that follows...

Thino

Smash Master
Fox can dash and slide into edgehog if you turn in the opposite direction when you're near the edge , much faster than dash , stop ,turn around , and SH into edgehog

Sensei

Smash Lord
I just noticed there isn't any description on pivoting here. Well pivoting is possible in SSB64. You can dash in one direction and then smash the other direction while holding A. You immediately do a smash attack the direction you were evading from. You can can do tilts, neutral A, and even B attacks also but they are more difficult to execute. Basically to do tilts or other attacks besides the smash attack, you dash one way then you press the opposite direction on the control stick for a moment so you turn around but not enough so that you start dashing again. After the frame animation of turning around is complete, you can do any attack. "Smash" pivoting is easier in SSB64 than in Melee, but to do the other attacks while pivoting is harder in SSB64 than in Melee.

moogle

Smash Ace
I've been gone for a while... sorry. :p I have another big post. >_>

More terms to include:
----------------------------

Tech chasing - Predicting which direction an opponent will tech, and grabbing or attacking them as soon as they recover. If your opponent is knocked to the ground, they have 4 choices: tech roll left, tech roll right, tech up, or don't tech. If you can correctly predict what your opponent does, then you basically can get a free hit or grab. This is one aspect of the game (ssb64 and ssbm) where an experienced player can really abuse a not-so-experienced player.

Jump out of a shield - You can jump in the middle of shielding. Even Yoshi can do it (he can't in SSBM). This is just another option you have while shielding, but oftentimes it's better than rolling or simply letting go of your shield.

Joystick jump - Goes higher than a full c-button jump. Most useful in Break the Targets / Board the Platforms, but it also has uses in maneuvering around stages, such as Hyrule. This only applies to the first jump; double jumps go the same height whether you use the joystick or a c-button.

Slanted jumps - If you're holding left or right when you jump, you don't go as high. Most useful in Break the Targets / Board the Platforms, but it also has uses in maneuvering around stages, such as Hyrule. This only applies to the first jump; double jumps go the same height whether its slanted or not.

Platinum Kirby's list (posts 69, 70, 71 in this thread):
--------------------------------------------------------------

Jigg's and Samus' teleport dash: I came back to edit this one. To do the teleport dash, you dash for a while in one direction (longer than an initial dash), then you press in the opposite direction and then jump. If done right, Jigglypuff will slide about 4 character lengths in the direction you were originally dashing (Samus goes about half this length). Now, for the timing: you press jump very, very quickly *after* pressing in the opposite direction. Isai does it twice at about 0:55 in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD9SGxu0cXk

Ness' extended second jump - don't know

neutral A->throw moves (I call them jab-grabs) - Luigi, Mario, Ness, and Pikachu (I think that's all) can jab an opponent then immediately grab, at the speed that a second jab would have come out. An easy application for this is if you trap someone against a wall with Pikachu's jab-jab-jab (and if they don't know how to DI out), then you can finish it with a jab-grab.

Fox SH Double Laser - Fox can shoot two lasers in one short hop, if you have quick hands. :) A slanted SH double laser is much more difficult, since slanted short hops are shorter than normal short hops.

DK's Punch Cancelling - You can cancel a fully charged Giant Punch by pressing Z at the right time, as he's reaching his arm back, I think. Also, this is widely known, but you can cancel the charging animation of DK's Giant Punch anytime by pressing Z.

Kirby's dashing cutter - Do Kirby's up-b on the ground, then immediately hold left or right, and you'll slide along the ground before launching into the air. Kirby can slide a character length or more.

Platform dropping with Z - You can fall through a platform by holding Z and pressing down, instead of having to tap down twice.

Infinite Throw Trap - Grab someone with DK, and let them wiggle out. Then grab them again. It comes down to your reaction time vs. theirs. Some characters are better at escaping than others (but I don't know which).

Extended quick attack - When doing Pikachu's up-B, if you let go of the control stick, rather than continuing to hold left/right/whatever, then Pika travels farther. Letting go of the stick preserves your momentum from the quick attack, but holding a direction kills it.

Sliding off an edge - If you do a move (such as Link's up-B), and land perfectly on the edge of a platform or something, then you recover instantly. Yes, this works on some B-moves, unlike Z-cancelling. It works for Link up-B, Fox up-B, Pikachu up-B, probably more B moves (but not all), and all aerial A moves (even if you miss the Z-cancel).

Maybe not worthy of inclusion:
-------------------------------------

Fall through a platform after an up-B - When you up-B (everyone but Yoshi/Jiggly), if you hold down, then you'll go right through any platforms, such as the three platforms on Dream Land.

Falling Pound - I sometimes use this as an attack with Jiggly, just to mess with people. Pretty much no one uses it, so no one expects it.

Fastfall during Pound - You can fastfall in the middle of a Pound, right after you hear "Puff!" and before the animation finishes. I dunno how useful it is, but I'm curious how many people know about this.

Ness down-B sound cancel - Not useful. :) The sound of Ness's down-B is cancelled upon landing, similar to the animation of Fox's down-B being cancelled upon landing. But... cancelling the animation is much more useful than cancelling the sound. >_> Again, has anyone else out there noticed this before?

Additional info:
-------------------

DI - maybe spell out "Directional Influence (DI)". I didn't see it at first, and I was going to complain that it wasn't on the list!

Rising Pound - Unlike SSBM, Rising Pound does *not* help with purely vertical recovery.

Crouch Cancel - Yes it does work in SSB64, but it is much weaker than SSBM's crouch canceling.

Initial Dashdancing - You can also initial dash multiple times in the same direction. They call this "Foxtrot" in SSBM.

Button Sliding - I was looking for this too, but didn't see it at first. But it's trapped inside rokimomi's quote. Make it more visible

Pivoting - Sensei has a good description. Post #85 in this thread.

------------------

Pressing Down can cancel your dash into a turn...

If you press down and then "left/right" you can turn around no matter what dash frame one is in.

To put it another way: There are some frames when dashing where you cannot turn around quickly. If you press down then turn around, you will turn no matter what... It's awesome. It's very good for running in and then turning around to avoid attacks, when otherwise you would not be able to turn around.

The original poster should make the terms BOLD or something so they are different from the text that follows...
I was pretty sure you could not dash cancel like that in SSB64, but you're the frame data guy. I'll try it when I get home. Though.. I was quite certain that you cannot do something like "dash -> dash cancel -> down smash." It's possible in SSBM but not SSB64. Though something like "dash -> dash cancel -> dash the other way" could still be possible in SSB64.

And like antd said, it would be useful if you bolded all of the terms, Wenbobular.

I'm tired of typing. -_- This was all from memory, so it might not be right.

ant-d

Smash Lord
I was pretty sure you could not dash cancel like that in SSB64, but you're the frame data guy. I'll try it when I get home. Though.. I was quite certain that you cannot do something like "dash -> dash cancel -> down smash." It's possible in SSBM but not SSB64. Though something like "dash -> dash cancel -> dash the other way" could still be possible in SSB64.
Good post.

Yeah I found this by 'accident' when making my Ness video. I wanted to immediately turn but I couldn't, so I guessed that maybe holding (really, tapping) down for 1 or 2 frames then turning would work. And it did. I tried to do a smash attack other than upsmash and I don't think it worked. I'll test it now..

Edit: You can't smash. You can jab though, but that's it. I should add, the timing seems to randomly change from pressing down for 1-2 frames. I think this would be very very hard to pull off normally.

Also, Ness can cancel his double jump without performing an aerial attack. Much like Yoshi, Double jump extremely fast and hold backwards while doing so, Ness will cancel both jumps and remain on the ground. Uses? I don't know, but it can be done. Maybe the sound and 'lights'(whatever it is) act as a mindgame of sorts.

It's like a wavedash, check it out:
Ness-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZBh9HkRsGA

Yoshi-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0HVB4_IjXM

ant-d

Smash Lord
This is unrelated but is asked quite often:

The fastest way possible to break out of Yoshi's Egg (Neutral B Move) is to alternately smash Up+A, Down+B, Up+A, Down+B OR Left+A, Right+B, Left+A, Right+B.

I believe all characters have the same break out time. I could be wrong but I tested on DK and Fox, who are quite different.

Smashing only (Up-smash, Down-smash repeat) = 10 frames slower
Button mashing only (A,B,A,B) = 12 frames slower
Circle (360 rotations) = 21 frames slower

(that's 10, 12 and 21 frames slower than Smashing and Button mashing at the same time)

For Jigglypuff's Sing:

The fastest way possible to wake up (Up+B Move) is to alternately smash Up+A, Down+B, Up+A, Down+B OR Left+A, Right+B, Left+A, Right+B.

That is really the only way worth doing. The other methods are 35 frames slower.

Edit: Oh yeah, you have to do it very fast, like DI.

ant-d

Smash Lord
If they escape within 47 frames then that is the only way to do it.

Escaping DK's Throw Trap:

To escape DK's Clasp, use the normal escape method: Smashing and pressing alternate buttons/directions. You can escape in 8 frames.

To escape the ITT you have to start by pressing Right+B as soon as you are on DK's back (you'll get some percentage), then follow that with Left+A etc... DK cannot grab you again if you do this. If DK grabs, it will go through you. If he turns around, you will be free to grab him. Even if the DK is perfect he cannot grab you.

If you cannot do the above method, then you should do the escape procedure, and mash A once you escape the first hold. If the DK player is 1 frame off then you will hit him before he can grab again. This method is easier but if the DK is perfect he will be able to grab.

1 frame off:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5731459134922078284

DK Can't Fthrow:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5888230683216723819

^The same for Kirby and all other characters

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Dear lord. I go away for like a week, and look what happens. I'll try to update when we get to the weekend, synonymous with I have a crapload of homework and I'll get to it whenever possible :psycho:

rokimomi

Smash Lord
I can finally understand the yoshi and ness wavedash things. Yoshi's second jump is canceled when you touch the ground, and when he does do his second jump, he goes a bit down then up, so it cancels. With ness, his second jump goes in a somewhat of a half circle back, so when he touchecs the ground, it cancels, and its easier to do his on the slant of sector Z. Well...I still cant do em well. But, ill....find...a way.

Thino

Smash Master
those "wavedash" things you're talking about are prety useless in a battle since you cant really attack while you're doing them. its better to jump cancel normally

rokimomi

Smash Lord
They last a split second. Probly, only for mind games, otherwise useless. Yet another thing like, jiggs wavedash. Maybe everyone has one and SSB was the origin of the wavedash? Or maby Im jus babling.

Zodiac

Smash Master
New semi advanced techniqe.

Sheild Dashing- hit the control stick over hard and then hit Z/Sheild just a little then you would for a roll. and your performs a move similar to the wavedash, however its fast then normal dash of most characters over short distances and hold the same properties and upsmashing or up-b'ing out of sheild, jsut as long as you hold down the sheild button, and also sheilding grabing.

Less complicated

Sheild Dashing- let the initial dash animation start then hold down Sheild, it looks similar to a wavedash but only up-b,upsmash, or sheild grab can be performed right off the bat out this tech.

They last a split second. Probly, only for mind games, otherwise useless. Yet another thing like, jiggs wavedash. Maybe everyone has one and SSB was the origin of the wavedash? Or maby Im jus babling.
Wavedash like thing in ssb- let the initial dash animation start and then nail and hold the sheild button-it goes fast than a dash over short distances like explain above and is useful for getting away from somone.

and it dosnt work for wave shine.

ant-d

Smash Lord
Attack on the run
You can Up-B or Usmash in the middle of a dash.
Actually, you cannot. Think about it:

So why can't you F-smash or D-smash "in the middle of a dash".... the simple answer is because you also cannot Up Smash. It wouldn't make sense if this were the case.

What actually happens is:

Run, Jump, then cancel the jump with an Up Smash. It is impossible to Up Smash out of a jump.

It appears that the Up Smash is out of the dash but it isn't. It is out of a jump.
If you perform a perfect Up Smash while running you will not Up Smash.

moogle

Smash Ace
I don't think you could do a jump cancelled down smash (in 64 or melee), even if you press up on the first frame, and down+a on the second frame. There's something special about up smash.

ant-d

Smash Lord
why is this not true for other smashes as well? or is it?
'Up' has priority. You can Up Smash out of shield for example. It's because 'Up' is to jump.
It makes sense. Maybe I'm not the best to explain it.

The game doesn't know if you are jumping or Up smashing until you press 'A', right?
So, to the game, Up is both the beginning of Up Smash and the start and end of a jump.
So when you jump the game doesn't know what you are doing. It only decides when you press A (or B).
Like most games, there is 1 frame of delay between most moves. It just so happens jump begins after 1 frame too. So jump and Up Smash get blurred even more in the physics. The game cannot logically decide. If jumping took 5 frames to begin then you could not Up Smash in the same way.

The programmers left it in... I guess it's better this way.

Edit: Moogle is correct. You cannot perform other smashes this way. The reason: because up is jump and is also Up Smash. Left/right and down are not up.

moogle

Smash Ace
ant-d... You said pressing up+A on the same frame while shielding/dashing doesn't up smash, right? What happens if you're shielding/dashing, and you press jump (c-button), and one frame later press up+A? If that results in an up smash, then I'll believe jump canceling exists in 64. :p If not, uhh... I'll think about it more.

Thino

Smash Master
hey !! yoshi shouldnt be able to grab the edge during his second jump , thats weird
even if you can't see the animation , you can hear it

@moogle : acccording to what antd said , if you press C button , the game will think you jumping already , unlike jumping with up

but lets wait what antd will say

ant-d

Smash Lord
ant-d... What happens if you're shielding/dashing, and you press jump (c-button), and one frame later press up+A? If that results in an up smash, then I'll believe jump canceling exists in 64. :p If not, uhh... I'll think about it more.
Yes, it will Up Smash.

Somewhat related -
The jump cancel isn't conscious because:

1. You cannot see it (it's only a single frame of jump animation, although you can delay it up to 4 frames)
2. No one (I say no one...) is fast enough to press Up and A at the same time while dashing.

Mastahwolf:
BTW, the game doesn't care if you use C-button or Analog stick. It only effects height. The rest of the physics are the same. I didn't add in the first post that the game will still view Up (after pressing a C-button) as a jump (because of the double jump).

moogle

Smash Ace
Ok, cool. In summary:

64/running/up-smash
64/running/up-B
64/shielding/up-smash
64/shielding/up-B
melee/running/up-smash
melee/running/up-B
*melee/shielding/up-smash
melee/shielding/up-B

7 of these 8 work "automatically," all in the same way... the running/shielding is jump canceled by the pressing of "up" as part of an up-smash or up-B. The exception is up-smash from a shield in melee. I dunno why they changed it, but you gotta press jump (up/X/Y) separately, and then do up-smash (up+A or cstick up). Theoretically you can do any of these 8 things in this way (jump first, then do a separate up-smash/up-B). But in melee, they chose to disable the "automatic" way of up-smashing from a shield.

New question: can you JC anything else in ssb64? You can JC grabs in melee (to do a standing grab while dashing)... though I don't think JC grabs would help at all in ssb64, even if they're possible.

mooseproduce

Smash Ace
OH MAN! I was just thinking about this the other day, and I'm not sure if it's been answered:

Can you, while running, hit Up on the analog stick but then suddenly smash the stick back downwards and then hit A to do a downsmash?

Thino

Smash Master
OH MAN! I was just thinking about this the other day, and I'm not sure if it's been answered:

Can you, while running, hit Up on the analog stick but then suddenly smash the stick back downwards and then hit A to do a downsmash?
u can do only Upsmash that way

You cannot perform other smashes this way. The reason: because up is jump and is also Up Smash. Left/right and down are not up.

rokimomi

Smash Lord
Wow i just picked up ssb64 yesterday and im better than I use to be... : / Since ssbm adv. tactics are harder than 64's I mastered this stuff in 10min :DDDD
You can also view it as that because its so much easier, us 64 players are closer and closer to perfect play. I can note a few players in ssbm that get close, but 64 smashers all have the desire to perfect. We almost look like were using TAS but then again, there is a point where it stops.

eD3N

Smash Rookie
Hi everyone,ive been playing ssb64 for a LONG time.Basically,I discovered it on 64 but never really got interested in it much.Then I heard about emulators(long time ago) and decided to replay it for old time's sake.I was playing a mmorpg at the time(on a amateur private server) and the server crashed alot,everytime it would crashed i'd start up smash and play a 2-3 mins game until the server was back on.I always played on pc,but it became boring because when we would play against me and my bro on the keyboard,the keys didnt respond 100% of the time.A few weeks ago I realised my sis had a n64 she hardly ever plays and got the idea to get me teh real smash bros :D.This time,it was different,I increased my skills alot more than with the keyboard(I used to never shield/dodge).I felt like checking out if anyone was still playing this baby and found this place!

I only played melee once at my cousin's and it felt so different.I watched alot of videos of melee(couldnt find any of 64) and I always told myself:"bah too bad you can't do this on ssb64" until I found this place,I never knew about ledgehogging(or whatever the name is,basically grab the ledge so the other player can't) but I did learn on my own some of the basic stuff like canceling link's down+a recovery time and pressing L after falling to quickly get up.

My question is,how the freakin hell can you shorthop consistently in a fight?Even in pratice mode I can't chain more than 4-5 shorthops.I have to concentrate so my thumb lightly presses the c button,in a real fight I don't have time for that.I know most of you guys play on pj64 where you can just set the sensitivity of the buttons so that you shorthop easily but on a real controller I find it much harder.

Any of you guys could give me some advice for the shorthops?Sorry for the huge block of text,ive been reading stuff in here for a while but never bothered to post before.

Thanks

Sensei

Smash Lord
My question is,how the freakin hell can you shorthop consistently in a fight?Even in pratice mode I can't chain more than 4-5 shorthops.I have to concentrate so my thumb lightly presses the c button,in a real fight I don't have time for that.I know most of you guys play on pj64 where you can just set the sensitivity of the buttons so that you shorthop easily but on a real controller I find it much harder.

Any of you guys could give me some advice for the shorthops?Sorry for the huge block of text,ive been reading stuff in here for a while but never bothered to post before.

Thanks
Shorthopping is easy once you get it down. You just need to practice it. I use a N64 controller on the PC by using a usb adapter and I can shorthop easily on both console and PC. There really isn't any secret to do it. All you have to do is just press the C button and let go before you character leaves the ground so you can preform a shorthop. You don't have to press the button a certain distance down...you can press it as hard as you can if you like, just as long as you let go before the dude jumps, you'll shorthop.

ant-d

Smash Lord
I posted this at GFAQs:

Maybe you'll find this interesting.

Grab-
Player 1 always wins with grabs. So if P1 and P2 grab at the same time, P1 will always grab. P2's grab will go through P1.

Death-
If two players die "at the same time" the winner is decided by percentage. Two players can't be in the same place, so one will die before the other.

Suicide-
Two players can suicide at the same time. P1 still has priority so P1 always loses. The Player with the least priority will win. ie P4.

Samus Up+B-
It has priority over 'A' attacks as can be seen with the chart below. However, as Fox's shine is the same (B) it doesn't have priority over it. They are the same so neither will hit.

This is the order of button priority:
[Start]
B
R
A
Z
L
C

I guess start button doesn't really count.

I'm talking here about true priority. That's when the attack will not only make you invincible, but will also hit the opponent.

eD3N

Smash Rookie
Shorthopping is easy once you get it down. You just need to practice it. I use a N64 controller on the PC by using a usb adapter and I can shorthop easily on both console and PC. There really isn't any secret to do it. All you have to do is just press the C button and let go before you character leaves the ground so you can preform a shorthop. You don't have to press the button a certain distance down...you can press it as hard as you can if you like, just as long as you let go before the dude jumps, you'll shorthop.
Ah I see,so its all about pressing and releasing as fast as possible.The dude jumps pretty much instantly after you press,so it isnt that easy to do.

Top Bottom