• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rematch - A hypothetical remake discussion.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Lolz.
I'll try and get it working... I'm pretty good I guess.

I use anyone :p But my order of preference is something like:

Yoshi > Ness > Luigi > Pikachu > Mario > Fox > Donkey Kong

I don't really like anyone else that much xD

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
I hate to say it, but I think we wont see have a remake or new sequel in a long time. Blame the brawl n00bs who hacked the game to the point where u can do almost anything on the game depending the disc size and what the brawl engine allows you to do. Nintendo probably saw it already and I guarantee they were mad because they messed up there "masterpiece". If you wanna game worth hacking why wont they just hack the old versions of Smash like 64 and melee. I mean why **** with Nintendo latest smash game. Hack a prequel of the game, I'm sure Nintendo won't really give a **** if you was hacking a game released 9 years ago.
Why would Nintendo even care?

dandan

Smash Lord
europe as about 20 people connected during the day.
we have a total of about 180 players (some less active than others though)

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Id like either peach or zelda because theres not one girly fighter in 64. Yeah samus fights like a man
Peach maybe but I don't like the idea of Zelda in 64 for some reason.

I think D3 is heavy too right?
Dedede is weird in that he's heavey like DK but floats like Kirby.

no one knows who pit is so I don't feel like he should be included because it's all people we know in 64, which is nice
Good point.

and Peach is a girl and no one likes to hit girls. I actually cringe when I have to fight peaches in Melee.
This is just stupid though.

As far as characters, I'd honestly like megaman (perhaps as a samus clone in the mario/weegee sense?) Mewtwo, Banjo Kazooie, and Hector from FE.
Megaman needs copy abilities IMO but yeah, Samus would be an ok starting point to work from for him. Mewtwo would make a nice addition, despite my dislike of pokemon. BK would be great but are nolonger possible. Hector I don't know but I'd say go for Marth first as he's a smash regular.

@Ciaza
I got it all set-up fine as far as I could tell, as soon as I tried to play a match against someone, PJ64K crashed.
I have this problem too and repeat attempts caused my computer to crash and get the blue screen of doom so I do not want to try again. It seems to be a Kailleria thing as PS1 emulators have the same problem for me.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Well, I'm the best in SA.

I tried to get online set-up but it crashed every time.
Big words if you've never played the online peeps, who are, I believe, the de facto 64 community of Australia. You'll have to excuse their skepticism, but I know about six guys who considered themselves the best in my city/state until I played them. Obviously you're a competitive Melee/Brawl player, and that lends force to your arguments, but generally it's not done to proclaim oneself unequivocally the best in an area without first playing the "scene" there. Just trying to clear up what the Aussies might be thinking.

Also, did you really like Keys to the Kingdom? I thought it was OK but not much compared to Abhorsen and that jazz.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Oh, there skepticism is definitely warranted. And I am only the best out of those I have played (the Melee and Brawl players).

Not really sure how I could show my skill without getting a video of me playing or setting up online (do any of you guys have MSN? Then you could talk me through it...). I can do all the techs like DJC, Z-Cancel, breaking shields, parry, etc...

Yeah I read Keys to the Kingdom, never read Abhorsen though.

Battlecow

Play to Win
You should. Or else Shade's Children. Both far better than K2tK (I just made that up. But it should be the LOTR of K2tK.)

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Big words if you've never played the online peeps, who are, I believe, the de facto 64 community of Australia. You'll have to excuse their skepticism, but I know about six guys who considered themselves the best in my city/state until I played them. Obviously you're a competitive Melee/Brawl player, and that lends force to your arguments, but generally it's not done to proclaim oneself unequivocally the best in an area without first playing the "scene" there. Just trying to clear up what the Aussies might be thinking.

Also, did you really like Keys to the Kingdom? I thought it was OK but not much compared to Abhorsen and that jazz.
I played a random guy from my dorm the other day. Beforehand I warned him like: "Dude, I'm pretty good at this game, just so you know". He was like "yeah yeah I'm really good at this game"

Yeah that didn't last for long :laugh:

And usually these people never want to play me again :(

The Star King

Smash Hero
Everybody who isn't aware of the competitive community thinks they're hot **** at Smash. If I had a nickel for every time someone was convinced they would wreck me...

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
the way it is around here is

Me: Are you good at smash64?

Them: I used to be when i was younger

Me: Wanna play?

Them: Sure

...4 stocked

Them: Do you play brawl?

Blade689

Smash Journeyman
the way it is around here is

Me: Are you good at smash64?

Them: I used to be when i was younger

Me: Wanna play?

Them: Sure

...4 stocked

Them: Do you play brawl?
I once bet a guy to a 99 stock game and the looser had to drink a shot for every life they lost past a gap of 3...... the guy took 7 shots before I lost one of my lives. He gave up when he hit 12 shots, I gotta give him credit for taking that many shots so quickly. The best part was that he said "the 3 life gap is to get that rhythm of killing back on your side", and I just kept repeating that line while he lost lives.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
If P64k still fails just come online to the chat. We have some capable people who are willing to help you out with the problems.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
I'll wreck you KINGSTAR.

I've been training and my body is ready

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
OH

MY

FREAKING

GOD

imagine metaknight in ssb64.

****ING

UNSTOPPABLE

edit:
this is something I DO NOT want.

edit edit:

I played a random guy from my dorm the other day. Beforehand I warned him like: "Dude, I'm pretty good at this game, just so you know". He was like "yeah yeah I'm really good at this game"

Yeah that didn't last for long :laugh:

And usually these people never want to play me again :(
i hate that so much.

they always quit in the middle of a match and i have to go "dude why'd you quit."

edit edit edit:

I feel like melee and smash64 have a steeper learning curve then brawl.

in brawl, noobs can win by just spamming projectiles or being really cheap.

in smash64, noobs like that get 0 to death comboed.
in melee, WAVEDASH WAVEDASH WAVEDASH TECH CHASE 0 to death comboed.

i guess that's why i don't like brawl.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
imagine metaknight in ssb64. ****ING UNSTOPPABLE
edit:
this is something I DO NOT want..
Lack of control during his specials might set him back a fair way. I have a feeling he'd end up getting balanced or even nerfed into oblivion if he ever made it into Smash again.

This is likely to start an interesting discussion on how to balance MK in 64 without destroying him competely, which I look forward to.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
mk does exist in smash 64. It's pikachu

Broken recovery: Check
Best off stage game: Check
Very good u-air: Check
Long range tilt: Check
0 bad matchups: Check
A quick powerful n-air: Check
A useful but not completely broken f-air: Check
A great d-air: Check

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
mk does exist in smash 64. It's pikachu

Broken recovery: Check
Best off stage game: Check
Very good u-air: Check
Long range tilt: Check
0 bad matchups: Check
A quick powerful n-air: Check
A useful but not completely broken f-air: Check
A great d-air: Check
You forgot a few categories that do not apply to pikachu.

Takes virtually no skill to use: No check
Four different recovery moves: No check
Spam B and win: No check
Ultimate camper: No check
5-jumps + 2 glides: No check

So close but pikachu is no Metaknight.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
All of those do apply

Takes virtually no skill to use: Yes, hello Up tilt and n-airs. With the exception of Kirby, Pikachu is one of the easiest to use correctly. Also Pikachu with a little bit of skill can beat a Kirby who has a little bit of skill. Same applies to MK vs a Snake user. If you want to think about it more like brawl, Diddy in brawl is like Fox in smash 64. Both of them take tech skill but people don't bother and just pick MK. People don't bother to learn Fox and just use Pikachu since Pikachu is by far the best.

Four different recovery moves: Who needs 4 somewhat broken recovery moves when you have 1 recovery move that is practically invincible at both the beginning and the end. Both of them have broken recoveries, trust everyone in the smash 64 community.
Pikachu has by far the best recovery of any character in any smash game. The only reason why MK <<LOOKS>>> somewhat better is since you can't combo that well (or almost at all) in brawl so MK can be knocked off and just recover again.

Spam B and win: Spam up tilt and win. or do any aerial into an up tilt. Same with MK with d-airs into nado or similar.

Ultimate camper: Yes, Pikachu is the best camper in smash 64 easily.
Fox's lasers: Pikachu's aerials say HAHAHAHA...no.
Kirby's up tilt: Pikachu has enough priority to hit Kirby through it.

So yes.

5-jumps + 2 glides: Ok, you found one difference. Congrats, but our recovery is still better than yours.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Koro has convinced me.

would like to add on this:

in brawl, alot of characters (noting there is 35 of them) have alot of start to end lag on most of their moves.

for metaknight, all his moves come out fast.
for pikachu, all his moves come out fast.

for metaknight, he has one of the strongest Fsmashes in the game, and the hitbox is ridicoulous.
for pikachu, he has one of the strongest Fsmashes in the game, and the hitbox is ridicoulous.

could continue on but basically your metaknight is basically our pikachu.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Don't forget that both pikachu and metaknight are much smaller than everyone else which makes them much harder to hit when you factor in disjointed hitboxes.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Pika's 64 recovery isn't better than MK's recovery in Brawl lol. It's downright unviable to edgeguard MK at all, and if MK survives, he will make it back to the stage guaranteed. Though it requires a lot of prediction, at least edgeguarding Pikachu is somewhat possible.

Brawl recoveries really good in general.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Pika's 64 recovery isn't better than MK's recovery in Brawl lol. It's downright unviable to edgeguard MK at all, and if MK survives, he will make it back to the stage guaranteed. Though it requires a lot of prediction, at least edgeguarding Pikachu is somewhat possible.

Exactly.

I find it ******** when people say that Pikachu in 64 is worse than Metaknight in terms of recovery. You have to take in account the game itself. Recoveries in Brawl are, in average 10 times better than recoveries in Smash 64. So it's comparing two characters of those two games in that aspect is pretty stupid.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Suggested so far:

Characters:
Bowser
Mewtwo
King Dedede (not convinced he's a good idea)
Pit (maybe but with a different Up B please)
Peach
Meowth (seems crazy but could work)
Zelda (not sold on it and transformations in 64?)
Megaman
Hector (not well known enough IMO)
Mathew (same, plus I think these two violate the "must have appeared before the gamecube" rule)
Metaknight (stop whining about him people, they nerfed Kirby in the later games and they could easyly do the same to MK)

Stages:
Metallic Mine (would take a lot of work and probably not be worth it)
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville (could work if it weren't so recent)

Looks like we could do with more stage suggestions. I'd say give Ness and Falcon home stages, my choices being Onett and Big Blue.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I thought Animal Crossing was for the Gamecube, but after doing some research apparently it was originally for the N64 (Japan only), but was ported to the Gamecube because of decreasing N64 sales. I had no idea lol (also it was released in Europe 3 years after the Japan release wtf)

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668

It's downright unviable? Every character from bottom to top has a move that punishes all of MK's recoveries.

I will say this again. The only reason why MK's recovery looks so broken is since you can't combo MK (as in you hit him once, that is it and then he recovers again.

It is due to the game as King Funk said. Smash 64 doesn't have a ledge that catches you from 6 feet away.

On another note, I call that stage Meta Crystal...as the soundtrack states that is the name. http://www.kirbysrainbowresort.net/multimedia/sounds/cate-higherconsoles.html

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
Harvest moon 64 is animal forest XD every time you turn on the console you need to put the hour XDDDDDDDDDDDDD

i call it Metal cave

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Name: Yoshi
Stage: Yoshi's Story (64)
Costumes:
P1 - Green Yoshi
P2 - Pink Yoshi
P3 - Light Blue Yoshi
P4 - Yellow Yoshi
Party - Super Happy Yoshi (Glows and colour changes over time, egg becomes Easter themed)(?)
Specials
^B - Egg Toss (Works like before but doesn't disable jumps if airborne)
0B - Swallow (Works as before)
vB - Burring Ha! (Works as before)
Air Moves
^a - Tail Whip Flip (Works as before)
0a - Simple Kick (Works as before)
<a - Two Footed Back Kick (Works as before)
>a - Headbutt Flip (Works as before)
va - Flutter Kick (Works as before)
Ground Moves
^a - Backward Head Tilt (Works as before)
0a - Twin Kick (Works as before)
</>a - Low Kick (Works as before)
va - Crouching Tail Spin (Works as before)
^A - Strong Head Tilt (Works as before)
</>A - Strong Headbutt (Works as before)
vA - Strong Tail Spin (Works as before)
>>A - Ramming Attack (Works as before)
Throws
[R] - Bite/Tounge Grab (Tounge Grab works as before but is either optional or range based and replaced by a Biting grab when not used)
>R - Forward Spit (Works as before)
<R - Turning Spit (Works as before)
Ledge Moves
0 - Tail Spin (Works as before)
Miscellaneous Fixes
None

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
you know whats the biggest easter egg in brawl?

the combo meter.

However in all seriousness, meta cave is the correct name iirc.

Olikus

Smash Champion
A better recovery for ness shouldn't be too much to ask for.

And maybe a birthday hat for DK to spice it up a little.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Yeah, Ness needs better reovery but it should come from his jump, not his PK thunder, so as to make him a slightly more begginer friendly character.

I don't see any reason not to give DK a hat and I'm dissapointed that Melee Pikachu had loads but no birthday one.

Battlecow

Play to Win
No, the PK thunder recovery is beginners' favorite thing. None of their buddies ever punishes it, they're super-happy when they learn how to do it, and it boosts their confidence, bless their little hearts.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Name: Luigi
Stage: Mushroom Kingdom 64
Costumes:
P1 - Green Plumber Outfit
P2 - White and Green Costume
P3 - Light Blue Outfit
P4 - Red and Pink Costume
Party - Rainbow Luigi(?)
Specials
^B - Uppercut (Works as before)
0B - Green Fireball (Works as before)
vB - Mario Tornado (Works as before)
Air Moves
^a - Backflip Kick (Works as before)
0a - Basic Kick (Works as before)
<a - Back Kick & Flip (Works as before)
>a - Forward Drill Kick (Works as before)
va - Downward Drill Kick (Works as before)
Ground Moves
^a - Spinning Uppercut (Works as before)
0a - Punch Punch Kick (Works as before)
</>a - Spin Kick (Works as before)
va - Low Spin Kick (Works as before)
^A - Headbutt (Works as before)
</>A - Strong Punch (Works as before)
vA - Handplant Spin Kick (Works as before)
>>A - Spinning Fists (Works as before)
Throws
[R] - Grab (Works as before)
>R - Spin Throw (Works as before)
<R - Backward Whirlwind Throw (Works as before)
Ledge Moves
0 - Recovery Kick (Works as before)
Miscellaneous Fixes
None

Top Bottom