• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

RESULTS: 4/28/12 University of Advancing our Smash Skills

Blood Falcon11

Smash Apprentice
Tai said he'll upload them eventually. Also, I possibly might do a Project M community combo video featuring combos from the tournament since I'm often bored after school.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Okamiiii - We definitely need to hang out more :) I miss hanging out with you. Hopefully I can come over or something or take some sort of trip with you so we can just hang out again =D Thank you so much for taking me (and Tai) to Chipotle!!! You rock =D

Let's go on a trip to California or Vegas, buddy. :)

5: OkamiBW :sheik:
I love teaming with you! :peach: / :sheik: is my absolute favorite team of all time! I love downsmashing a ton in doubles and getting like 700 damage for the team while you just smack them in the face with fair and GGs. We totes need to practice sometime in Tucson soon! I loved your pose against Kira in Project M. Super hilarious.
We can hang out over the summer after Vegas/CA maybe around May 21st and on? We should do some non-smash non-weed stuff like go to dinner (with others as well if you like) or something.

oksas

oak-sauce
stuff like go to dinner (with others as well if you like) or something.
i smell a date coming

Tai said he'll upload them eventually. Also, I'm possibly might do a Project M community combo video featuring combos from the tournament since I'm often bored after school.

o m gee please do dude. i've wanted to do that but don't have the time to weed through all the videos.

Acubed

Smash Rookie
Hey, Acubed so what exactly is the data for/represent?
Well it's supposed to rank players by their strength, to produce competitive, ongoing, non-tournament standings of players. Like, a league. The upshot is it can produce seeded brackets, I use my own league standings to seed a semester-end tournament for some of the top rated players.

They're ranked by strength, but since there's some uncertainty (what if a player only has one match, that's not very useful information) we rank them by the lowest rank they will be at with 95% confidence if they played more matches. In other words, 19/20 players should increase their rank or stay the same if they play more matches. The score is an Elo-style (chess-style) ranking algorithm adapted for multiple players, the average score is 5000 (it could be 0, but people don't like negative numbers, so meh). Games is the number of games played, this and the score affects where your're placed on the chart (the exact formula is documented on the website). I also record the datetime of when the match started, LastMatchDate is the start datetime of the most recently entered match.

Since I also recorded character selections (including zero suit Samus vs. plain Samus but that's not apparent) I can make a similar list for how much a character selection seems to impact the outcome of those matches, in the same way.

It's not enough just to use the bracket results as a whole, the rules for winning a bracket change (it's often best-2-of-3 for matches except semifinals or finals which can be best-3-of-5 or best-4-of-7 or more), and you have to play with consistent rules in order to apply the ratings. Getting character and stage usage data can also be used for neat stuff and analysis.

Ultimately I plan to start a state-wide league (or beyond), where tournaments can opt to enter their game data towards it, as well as friendly/side match results. Consider this beta testing.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Well it's supposed to rank players by their strength, to produce competitive, ongoing, non-tournament standings of players. Like, a league. The upshot is it can produce seeded brackets, I use my own league standings to seed a semester-end tournament for some of the top rated players.

They're ranked by strength, but since there's some uncertainty (what if a player only has one match, that's not very useful information) we rank them by the lowest rank they will be at with 95% confidence if they played more matches. In other words, 19/20 players should increase their rank or stay the same if they play more matches. The score is an Elo-style (chess-style) ranking algorithm adapted for multiple players, the average score is 5000 (it could be 0, but people don't like negative numbers, so meh). Games is the number of games played, this and the score affects where your're placed on the chart (the exact formula is documented on the website). I also record the datetime of when the match started, LastMatchDate is the start datetime of the most recently entered match.

Since I also recorded character selections (including zero suit Samus vs. plain Samus but that's not apparent) I can make a similar list for how much a character selection seems to impact the outcome of those matches, in the same way.
So...it's like this?
http://ssbpd.com/

Blood Falcon11

Smash Apprentice
Regarding the tournament though Kyle, I will most likely will attend it since it's a couple days after school ends for me.

Acubed

Smash Rookie
So...it's like this?
http://ssbpd.com/
I haven't actually seen that before... It's somewhat similar, but doesn't appear comprehensive enough (you can't use bracket results in Elo ratings, for instance, ssbpd.com appears to).

My initiative is less centralized, more focused around providing tools to individual organizers, and more research focused. As far as I know I'm the only person who's done extensive research into the proper way to rank Elo scores for arbitrarily long lists of players, for any purpose.

It's, more, uh, academic. My favorite example is the BBR Tier List. It's voted on. It's voted on. Now there might be some useful research behind that, but who knows what it is? There's no way to study it, or any way to re-run the experiment and reproduce the results. If this were scientific research, it'd be thrown out without a second glance. I wanna fix that. That's why the website is currently a wiki.

SmashLeague.org (or informally simply SmashLeague) is a project to centerally register and analyze competition data for use in an ongoing league system and regular tournaments. The goal is to host useful tools for organizing tournaments and leagues, to publish their results and track progress of participating players, and scientifically and openly analyze how Smash Bros. games are played.

Blood Falcon11

Smash Apprentice
Where's it at, and I may not be able afford it, but even if I can't, I'll still may be able to come for friendlies if it's not in Tuscon. Is there a thread for it?

Blood Falcon11

Smash Apprentice
Sorry then man. :\ The only way I could get a ride there is from my parents which would take 2 hours just to get there and will end up costing a ****load in gas and time. I really wish I could, sorry. :[ Will I see you at THC though?

Corigames

Smash Hero
Super late Shout-outs:

First of all, thanks for hosting the tournament guys. There was a lot of people in a little space with a bunch of equipment, but things seemed to have gone fine. I think Melee had 2 tournament TVs which made that tourney run slow, but I guess it really couldn't be helped. I had a blast and I feel like after this and Nyte that I'm starting to get to know the Brawlers a bit better.

Aximous:

For srs dood ( I liked like some closure to our currently tied status :3

Sir Wobbleton: I sat down to ask you to teach me ice climbers. :) You showed me the roll desynch :bee: and then proceeded to just kick my *** for a while. :urg: I appreciate both, though.

Silly Kyle: I feel like I'm getting a lot better. I know I had fun every step of the way through this short tournament. I'm so happy we got to play afterwards, I feel like I get way better after playing with you. I secretly still want to move to Tucson.

Angel: Holy crap man, your Yoshi is sooooo cooooooool. It's like playing a different game against you. My missiles fly back at me every time, I can't get low % gimps on you at all, and your movement is hard to follow. I could play you all day, that was incredible. You helped show me a lot, even if you didn't mean to. Glad you're placing as well as you are!

Tai: I had the choice of either you, Kyle, or Okami. I hadn't played you in bracket since THC2, so I wanted to play you again. It went about as expected as my Marth game hasn't improved whatsoever; I really haven't played you at any of the smashfests or other tournies. Next time there's a get-together, I'm going to get some games in with you whether you want to or not. Also, knew that I was getting on people's nerves with my complaints about other characters being really good a couple of months ago. I didn't realize that I was still doing it now. I swear I wasn't intending any comment like that in that sort of way, but I'll be more mindful of it. Anyway, stop losing to Okami, it fills me with the sad.

OkamiBW: Thanks for helping me with the huge-*** TV. Sitting in my living room, it doesn't look that big to me, but carrying it around taught me otherwise. Sorry bout your car and having to help.

Also, play legit matches with AXE >_> What's the point in having standardized rules like "Here's the banned list" or "Here's the game format" if players can just agree to say **** it and do whatever they want? I know you guys want to have fun and maybe your matches can be played however you want, but it just makes me want to not watch your sets which could be 10x more amazing.

EEF: Don't think I said hi. So.... um... hi :reverse:

Coreygames: Movin' on up, getting a little bit better, shining a little bit brighter, smiling a little bit wider.

Prof. Oksas: Thanks for crushing me in some P:M. It's kinda cool, it was just the first time I've ever played a hacked version of Brawl. Didn't play you in anything else, but it's nice seein' ya.

Avenger/Stuff: Don't think I played either of you /sadface. Also, how dare you cheer for Tai over me. :c

Rubyiris: Y U THROW GAME? I hope some of those clothes fit you, let alone suit your tastes. I don't know what all was in there, the condition it was in, or size of any of it, but have at it. Thanks for the bracelet, I love orange.

K9: It's ok dude. I hate losing too. I just got back into Melee and I've already destroyed two controllers because I get bent out of shape. Not sure if there's anything I can tell you, just remember, though, that, *****h, you mah *****h. Also, thanks for helping run this ****.

Kira: POWER STANCE GIVES GREAT POWER!

Tommy Der Awesome Guy: Dude brah, like, yo man. Y U NO play Ganon in Melee? You should. Have I told you that? I think you should. Like. Totally.

Dude.

Jane: Who are you? Do I know you? You... play Melee at all? Melee? No? So I don't know you, and I let you in my house? What's wrong with me?

Cool seeing you, and a pleasure hanging out with you.

Saffy: I beat you up in Melee. You have now been reminded of this. Play Melee more :awesome:

OTHER PEOPLE:
Play Melee and you can receive shout-outs too.

Saffy

Smash Ace
Oh man Cori you ***** me lmao... Your samus is godly. Those were good games. I pretty much only have about 10 hours of melee play-time... Thanks for the friendlies though :p It's really hard trying to adjust from brawl to Melee... Atleast for me I have no idea how M2k does it.
I actually am getting interested in Project M though, it's interesting. :)

darkgirku

Smash Journeyman
this tourney sounds like it was something else! Wish i coulda been there :(
I guess vids will hafta do
Proud of my bros eef n angel though haha =D

next time...

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
9: Rubyiris :falco:
Wow, first of all. You need to chill the **** out. What the **** is your issue?
Don’t be such a hypocritical *****. Sorry I was complaining about broken tactics and moves in Project M, which is still a work in progress. Clearly there are things that need to be fixed. But you don’t need to blow up in my face and be a total ******* and embarrass yourself.

Second, I never have fun when we play. You always complain and say stupid ****. You are unpleasant to be around and have done nothing whatsoever lately to change that. So I’m definitely not going out of my way to smash with you anytime soon. I even went to visit Chris in Vail to smash because he is actually fun to smash with and is worth the drive.
I’m super disappointed in you and I’m tired of your self-defeating attitude. Your negativity in my life is NOT needed.

Peace the **** out and shut the **** up. I'm done with busted-*** crusty hoes like you.
on blast :laugh:

i wanna meet rubyiris if only for the lawls

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Lol Kyle is so ***-backwards it's hilarious.

What have I been complaining about in matches? Or what obnoxious things have I been saying? Real talk
Your memory must be faulty.

:phone:

Hykan

Smash Rookie
Wow, that was quite the exciting tournament for only being my second one! Now that I finally have some time, I'll try this shoutout thingy.

Shout outs! (From the best of my memory!)

Rave- Thanks for hosting this awesome tournament! I was really glad that I got to go, and I had a blast! I was also really happy that I got to face you in my pool, as I was insanely excited to fight another Toon Link main! Our dittos were intense, and I got to learn a lot about how to play that match-up. Hope we can play again soon! I'll come back with a better Samus so we can avoid dittos.

Silly Kyle- Hey, both tournaments you were in my pool and both times you gave me some super intense matches! I'm glad that I improved since last time though so I could at least give you some of a fight! And yeah, thanks to Muffin, I keep learning more about the peach match-up! Watch out for me next time!

Stuff- Your Lucas! It blew my mind! I had no idea he could do half the things you were doing! I may have to say that I had the most fun playing you! It was like every moment was tense, and then suddenly I'm watching you fly across the stage. It always puts a smile on my face! We had some awesome matches, and I can't wait to play more of your Lucas!

Angel- Your Yoshi really impressed me! (both in Brawl and watching you play Melee!) I swear that Yoshi's shield runs off of sheer will power, because no matter what I did, I felt like I wasn't even touching your shield. We had some awesome matches, and I got to learn a lot, so thank you! Hope to play you again soon!

Smiley- Smiley! Fighting your Game & Watch always makes me happy! Plus your tag, man, I swear I can't have a bad match against you. Even when I'm losing horribly, your tag just promises me that everything will be ok. Excellent job kicking my butt, and I can't wait to play you again! Also, I will never forget how you stage spiked me twice on the same stock in the same recovery! Epic!

TommyDerMeister- Your Snake whooped me! I think I was starting to get a hang of the match-up around the last stock of the last match, but no matter how much I thought I was getting it, you had me guessing what to do! I want to fight you again, and I want to see your ice climbers!

GV7- Dat Rob. I enjoyed our matches, and I need to learn a lot about the Rob match-up so I can give you a better fight next time!

KiraFlax- One of these days I'll get to play you! I love the energy that you put into every match! It's always awesome watching you fight!

K9- Ah man, I was hoping to get to fight you this tournament! Curse my brain for getting too tired to stay late! Next time, for sure! I want to get owned by that Falco of yours!

Stevo- Thanks for taking the time to give me those friendlies! I learned a ton about Mario, and I'll make sure to show you a better Mario next time we play! Your DK is also an absolute beast! Next time, I'll see what I can do about giving you some better matches! Also, that epic twice stage spike on the same stock in the same recovery. I will never forget that!

Aaven- Can I fight your Ike next time? :D

Dookdigity (I think that was your username)- Dude! Next time I'll bring some N64 games and we can just have a blast on that! Your Puzzle League and Dr. Mario skills impressed me! Can't wait to play again!

And that's all I can remember at the moment! If I think of more, I'll edit this post or make another one. I can't wait for the next tournament! Muffin and I will be back to see if we can make everyone fear Peoria! >:D

sadpanda811

Smash Cadet
everyone in the tournament was really good i barely beat anyone, but i enjoyed playing with you all. AZ needs some more diddy kongs but we have alot of G&W's. and i hope to see you all at the next tournament that i go to

Top Bottom