• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rhythm Heaven Fever's Musical Mascot! Marshal (Moveset Added!)

Who do you think is the best Rhythm Heaven rep?

• Marshal

Votes: 81 59.1%
  • Wrestler

Votes: 16 11.7%
  • Karate Joe

Votes: 16 11.7%
  • Rhythm Monkey

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Red Shirt Girl

Votes: 20 14.6%

• Total voters

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
So do you think Chorus Men will act like a trio?
Yes, that is how they were represented in Rhythm Heaven (although I'm secretly hoping he means Marshal). Not too sure how I feel about this though, I feel like I'd rather have a more important/recurring character in the RH slot like Karate Joe, Rhythm Girl or Marshal but it does mean more RH exposure.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
This would be cool and beyond amazing, but I'm still on the short side to believe in any leak. "A Pokemon from X and Y" isn't exactly a spot-on prediction, and while correct, it's not something that nobody guessed. Saying Greninja straight out on the other hand would have allowed it to capture my trust, but I'm still skeptical.
And if they are in the game, how in the hell do you think a character trio going to work? That'll be terrifying in 4-way Chorus Men matches.

Also doesn't the DS game call them Chorus "Boys"? Or was it "Kids"? I might be mistaken with my memory.

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I don't find it unlikely that just like the leak person didn't know Greninja as more than "pokemon from x and y", he only knows marshall as a chorus man from the DS rhythm heaven.

Assuming it's legitimate.

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
add me to the supporter list too

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I don't know why we're complaining that it's Chorus Kids that we're getting. When you think about it, they're practically Rhythm Heaven DS's mascot, and unlike Marshal they actually appear in a minigame. That aside, they're practically Marshal anyway aren't they? Same exact design.
This would be cool and beyond amazing, but I'm still on the short side to believe in any leak. "A Pokemon from X and Y" isn't exactly a spot-on prediction, and while correct, it's not something that nobody guessed. Saying Greninja straight out on the other hand would have allowed it to capture my trust, but I'm still skeptical..
I wouldn't worry about this. The guy likely didn't know who Greninja was beyond being a Pokemon from X/Y, and shockingly a lot of people, though a minority, don't know him.

The same leaker addressed villager as "Animal Crossing Guy", by the way.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
God damn shame indeed, Ouendan/EBA deserves a character slot even!

If only for the greatness that would be in having Jumping Jack Flash be a Final Smash.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'm slowing warming to Chorus Men actually, although I think I'll still feel a little resentful if they get in over my favourites.....

They need their name changed to "Marshall & The Chorus Kids", I think that would be cool they'd kinda sound like a band, with Marshall in the lead role.

Weeginji

Smash Cadet
I've never played a Rhythm Heaven game, but I think I've figured out why Sakurai might have picked them over the seemingly more obvious choices like Karate Joe or the Wrestler. Those two are fighters, so they've got obvious moveset potential, but this is, ironically enough, exactly their problem. Rhythm Heaven is in no way about fighting, it's about music, so of course you'd want to represent that through characters who are inherently musical.

Furthermore, they have a distinct, yet still humanoid design. The Wrestler or Karate Joe could come off as somewhat generic, but the Chorus Men, though simplistic in design, don't really look like anything but themselves. Although, the small amount of research that I've done shows me that their basic design is from an earlier RH game, and that it, apparently, is recurrent. I think this really just makes them better as representatives though, since they only look like something else that's part of the RH series to begin with.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Since we have that Megaman form wet dream as a final smash, do you think we'll see one for Marshal with the Elite Beat Agents, Barbara, and other rhythm Nintendo characters as part of his final smash?

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Since we have that Megaman form wet dream as a final smash, do you think we'll see one for Marshal with the Elite Beat Agents, Barbara, and other rhythm Nintendo characters as part of his final smash?
Why? Those series are completely unrelated to either the Rhythm Heaven franchise or Tsunku, the developer. It would make absolutely zero sense.

At least in my opinion.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I support this.

I think a rhythm based fighter would be something very interesting for this game.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
In the very least, the leak's sparking a good amount of Rhythm Heaven discussion. I do see some who don't approve of the inclusion of a character though.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
In the very least, the leak's sparking a good amount of Rhythm Heaven discussion. I do see some who don't approve of the inclusion of a character though.
I don't have a problem with a Rhythm Heaven character getting repped......just who it may have taken priority over. If anything that's what would irk me.

It's probably the same for many people.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Honestly I think if there was going to be a rhythm based character it would make the most sense for it to be Barbara the Bat. Yeah I know, shameless promotion. But think about it. Unlike Rhythm Heaven which doesn't, sorta, maybe has a main character, Daigasso Band Bros definitely does have a main character. Is Marshal really the main character of Rhythm Heaven?

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Yeah, I'm thinking the leaker might of meant Marshal or something.

In light of the leak, I've warmed up to a Rhythm Heaven character, but its funny how Sakurai ruled Villager out in Brawl due to him "not making sense to fight", but now it appears we might have three characters like that (Villager, WFT, Marshal/Chorus guys), haha.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
I approve of this, wholeheartedly. I hope that leak is true, because I would love some Rhythm Heaven representation.

Here is my moveset idea:
Neutral Special - Glee Club: A chargeable move: Marshall opens his yap and emits a blast of pure vocal energy. The circular sound wave steadily grows and will damage any nearby players. It also meteor smashes nearby players in the air.
Side Special - Built to Scale: Marshal rolls out a square widget piece, which slowly rolls along in the background until it falls off of the stage. The widget itself cannot damage opponents - to complete the attack, Marshall must use perfect timing. When the widget rolls behind an opponent, the player must press the attack button again, which will launch a red widget rod from the foreground! This rod hits directly where the square widget currently is positioned. This rod deals large amounts of damage, but is hard to execute because of the slow-moving widget and tricky timing.
Up Special - Night Walk: Marshall leaps vertically into the air as a pink heart launches above his head. Connecting Marshall with an opponent does a little bit of damage - but the heart above is a deadly but hard to connect sweet-spot. This move is quick and can lift Marshall pretty high, but it has virtually no horizontal control.
Down Special - Screwbot Factory: Marshall snaps his fingers and points beside him: suddenly a large claw descends from above him, out of nowhere! Touching the rod part of the claw does pretty much nothing (it has no hitbox), but if an opponent is hit by the claw itself - they will be caught in its grasp and vigorously spun around, for up to 3 seconds when the attack button is held the full length! This will leave them dizzy and vulnerable.
Final Smash - Karate Man: Suddenly, Karate Joe appears next to Marshall and delivers a flurry of punches! Connecting with his fists is instant death. But... Karate Joe doesn't move, so this attack is very easy to avoid, right? Wrong - because he also punches a plethora of pots, barrels, light bulbs and bombs that fly across the screen, hitting all the opponents in its path!

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I might take over this thread, if the OP doesn't mind. (Of course if OP DOES mind that's a whole different story.)

Also @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 try not to overhype him, please? :p

Last edited:

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
I might take over this thread, if the OP doesn't mind. (Of course if OP DOES mind that's a whole different story.)

Also @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 try not to overhype him, please? :p
I think you could get away with making a new thread for the Chorus Kids if you stuck to the trio-based moveset gimmick.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
It'd be neat to see a rhythm heaven character, but I am a bit biased of whom we should get.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Pikachu isn't the main character of Pokemon either.
Actually he is. Not the main character of all the games, but the main character of the franchise in general.

The Barista from Rhythm Heaven is actually closer to the main character I think. Barista has been consistent throughout the series and maintains a role that oversees the player.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Maybe not. Considering Mr. G&W has that as his "special" gimmick, They'll probably translate Marshal (or the Chorus Kids) in 3D.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
But 2D is one of the series' defining features, moreso than any other series represented in the game.

Well, except for the Wario series, but I guess you could make the case that Wario actually made a lot of 3D appearances in the Mario spin offs despite being strictly 2D in his own games. (Wario World aside) No Rhythm Heaven character was in 3D with the exception of the Rhythm Rally/Air Boarder guys.

It wouldn't bug me if they were 3D (although I'd prefer 2D), since unlike Game & Watch they don't NEED to be 2D.

Last edited:

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I think if there was going to be a rhythm based character it would make the most sense for it to be Barbara the Bat. Yeah I know, shameless promotion. But think about it. Unlike Rhythm Heaven which doesn't, sorta, maybe has a main character, Daigasso Band Bros definitely does have a main character. Is Marshal really the main character of Rhythm Heaven?
I think RH would actually make more sense considering how much more recent and how much more popular the series is (if sales is anything to go by it is the most popular music series Nintendo owns). Not to be a downer for those Barbara and EBA supporters but their series haven't had any recent releases. The last Jam with the Band game was technically 2008 if you are to go by Japanese releases. Rhythm Heaven is also currently tied with Elite Beat Agents for the the biggest music series Nintendo has, it has 3 games while Jam with the Band only has 2.
Furthermore, as I said before while EBA and RH have the same amount of games on their plate the RH series has sold more and is more recent. (Personally, I feel recency shouldn't matter all too much but if we are to go by the newcomers announced at this point it clearly does, sorry).

EDIT: Another thing to point out is 2 of the EBA/Ouendan games were Japanese only...one of which that was released after EBA. Rhythm Heaven has released 2 games worldwide out of the 3 games it has.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
EBA was a release to let the western audience experience the Ouendan games more than anything. Unfortunately it didn't do well.

Ouendan did pretty well in Japan last I heard, but nothing like how Rhythm Heaven did. That said I'm REALLY happy we're probably getting a Rhythm Heaven character as much as I adore EBA as well, and at this point I want another EBA game way more than getting the agents in Smash. Rhythm Heaven Fever is still kinda recent.

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
I think the Chorus Men is actually Marshal because it is easy to mistake the two and Marshal isn't the type of character you would know by name ^^;

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
EBA was a release to let the western audience experience the Ouendan games more than anything. Unfortunately it didn't do well.

Ouendan did pretty well in Japan last I heard, but nothing like how Rhythm Heaven did. That said I'm REALLY happy we're probably getting a Rhythm Heaven character as much as I adore EBA as well, and at this point I want another EBA game way more than getting the agents in Smash. Rhythm Heaven Fever is still kinda recent.
Actually EBA did better than the original Ouendan even though it didn't reach half a million. It sold poorly by America's standards which is why a 2nd one was never made (Reggie kind of explained this). http://www.1up.com/news/reggie-elite-beat-agents-sales

Anyways, I think that if the rumor is true than it actually would only be 1 character (possibly Marshal) especially when you consider the team had difficulties with the Ice Climbers on the 3DS version. Adding a trio seems unlikely at this point. (Heck, there will probably not be any newcomers that are more than one character, IC's being veterans that people have already become attached to is probably the only reason they are going through with it.) TBH, I think the rumor is false so I'm taking this with a grain of salt even though I really do want an RH character.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Yeah that's what I meant, it didn't do well by our standards, on the other hand Ouendan did alright for a niche DS game (yes, even there).

Dunno what I think about a trio character, can't wrap my head around how it would work aside from being like Ice Climbers with one more character, which is kinda extreme.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
They were addressed as Chorus Kids and Marshall in their respective game's credits. No mention of that otherwise. Well, except for Chorus Kids' return in Game & Wario's credits.

I wouldn't rule out a mistake, though. Though the more I think about it, the more Chorus Kids make sense over Marshall.

Top Bottom