• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

LiNKoMAC

Smash Rookie
Basically ROB has a four frame window during the beginning of his forward roll where you can press either Analogue stick+Z, Analogue Sick+A, or a C-Stick direction to cancel his roll into a glide toss. Inputting a toss on frame 1 gives you the best possible slide, and inputting on the other three gives you an okay one. That's pretty much all there is to it.

Though like Cubone said, you have to actually shoot the gyro from the stand first and pick it up before you can glidetoss. Seems like it would be obvious but yeah.
Thank you! That's the answer I needed. Gonna go try it out now! :)

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
Are we ever going to get more "official" frame data from the smash labs... hurt bubble information would be nice too

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Ftilt, it has more range and is safer overall.
Dtilt is only good if the opponent is very close and low on shield.

LiNKoMAC

Smash Rookie
They're both great moves of ROB's. The best advice i can give you...
- If you want a good knock back move or even a decent kill move at a high percentage I'd go with the F-tilt. It's definitely a good gtfo of my face move.
- If you're looking for more of a trap or combo starting move, the D-tilt is perfect. It can also trip. It's easier to read than the F-tilt, and a good opponent will begin to power shield the move through out the match.
Just really depends on what you want out of it...

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
Q: How do I approach Olimar? Like, really... HOW DO I DO IT??? Also, any pointers on the matchup?

Also, are there any videos on how to do the guaranteed upsmash out of grab release on wario? I can set it up beautifully, I just cant get the upsmash right.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Buffer a hyphen? I guess...

And approaching Olimar is kinda impossible, you just gotta get a good read.

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
Why are you approaching?

Hit him with a mid-full charge gyro in the middle of a toss to get him off the ground and get at him or place a gyro right in front of him to shred his pikmin if he tries to toss them and walk up and start tilting...

-LzR-

Smash Hero
You play wifi and you like Olimar, but still have something against Snake, maybe you are a tier *****.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
You must have never played an Olimar in wifi. His moves are already godtier. In wifi, it's basically "download a movies, spin dat cstick" strategy for Olimar.
Other characters who gain a lot from wifi are Snake, Zamus, G&W, Rob and debatably Ganon.

Also MK is ****ing horrible in wifi, Rob is way better there lol.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
The way I play ROB sucks in wifi, and I refuse to change my playstyle to make up for lag, so I don't play wifi, haha. Is ROB really that good? I don't see how he would be any better than offline.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
First of all, his projectiles become OP. Laser cannot be reacted to in time and gyro wreck even more.
You don't call that a serious buff? Suddenly becoming a crazy camper.
Oh and his tilts have somewhat similar effect as Snake, thought not nearly as bad.
And his fsmash is too damn good in wifi if you mix it up!
Dsmash ***** everyone.
He always recovers since he can freely move around with his upB, while foes have less time to react to it to intercept it.

ROB gains absolutely NO NEGATIVE EFFECTS from Wi-Fi! Nothing at all, he is seriously a top6 character there.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Wtf are you talking about. They are a lot easier to hit with on wifi. Nair cannot be reacted to anymore, same about dair too. And his bair also wrecks.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
lol I mean no character is better on ****ty *** laggy wifi then they are offline but ROB doesn't lose much compared to a lot of other characters

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Snake and Olimar are just way better in wifi. And somewhat Ganon, his slow moveset isn't a problem in wifi as you can't react to them anymore.

Also, competitive wifi is like playing coin matches offline.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I used to play wifi a damn lot, I had no other choice. It sucked. Well you learn stuff from it, but 80% of the players there abuse the lag and are scrubs.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Just so you know, I play the boring Wi-Fi because I'm tired of facing my siblings sometimes, no one plays Brawl in Sweden (or at least no scene), and I want to improve my R.O.B. (which I actually do, the timing is harder which makes you rely more on mind games - you can't see your opponent, nor hearing what they input (for example, if they press R/L when hanging on the edge), but Wi-Fi still sucks and fails with it's minimum 6-frames delay). >_> But I've improved thanks to it, better that than nothing. It's a nice option really.

However; -LzR- lies about a few things about R.O.B. in Wi-Fi:

The projectiles are hard to aim, especially when it's laggy. Your opponent can see your laser / gyro, but what happens now? It lags and "freezes" for a short period of time, and congratulations: Your opponent have even more time to react to it.

I can agree with D-smash (which becomes predictable, but unfortunately a good spam move, but you don't improve your offline skills), but F-smash? Oh I forgot, you don't use glide-toss techniques or mix up with stutter-steps, sorry (which is like impossible to do in Wi-Fi). Also timing against Meta Knight's tornado is... freaking impossible (like it isn't hard enough offline). -.-

His recovery may be unpunishable, but have you tried retreating Bairs or trying to stay in the air and camp there? I bet it isn't easy, almost impossible for me to do on Wi-Fi, especially if you want to last longer by pressing B (not lasers, I think you all understands what I mean here).

I hate when people say R.O.B.'s one of the best Wi-Fi characters out there, you can't do a **** there (WBGC is impossible, retreating projectiles fail, your glide-toss timing wrecks, aerials are hard to time to name a few). Look at Meta Knight (tornado), Snake (LoL the best one out there, Tilts, DACUS and grenades), Zero Suit Samus, Mr. Game & Watch, Olimar, Lucario, Ike, Ganondorf and Wolf - the ones who love their C-stick in Wi-Fi and can't get punished in lag (especially Ganondorf and Mr. Game & Watch). I don't understand why a character like R.O.B. (who is one of the most technical characters in Brawl) can be called a Wi-Fi character. In Wi-Fi, the least technical ones buff (okay, maybe not Zero Suit Samus and Ganondorf).

Also, it depends on how laggy it is, but almost everything wrecks when I'm playing Wi-Fi. R.O.B. has no techniques there, but he's the funniest character out there, so what the heck, I'm trying at least. I don't say R.O.B. is crap in (on? Please help me here laggy Americans xP) Wi-Fi, but he's way overrated.

Wi-Fi ruins for almost everyone, that's why Snakes offline "suck", and that Meta Knight's meta game hasn't improved since 08 (no really, he plays the same both offline as online, and has done that for 2 freaking years now, but hey, if it works, why complain?).

Offline on the other hand... <3

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Aiming lasers in wifi is still SO DAMN EASY YOUR MOTHER CAN DO IT.
And I can do WBGC in wifi and all the wavebounce reversal ****, still easy, just tons of times more effective.
Oh and Rob isn't technical at all...

Rob is a very simple character, not technical.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
LoL explain what you meant when you said R.O.B. isn't a technical character + that it's "just tons of times more effective", and if you can do the stuff you just said, then why do you complain on Wi-Fi? I really want an explanation.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
What does Rob really have? A glide toss and 2 simple to use, but very useful projectiles. And good, but straightforward tilts. And his recovery is done by tapping upB. He is not technical at all. All the tricks he can do, others can do too.

And he really is buffed in wifi, but you shouldn't really play wifi at all since you got your bro.

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
Aiming lasers online is a bit different then offline. Especially if you've tried to make a habit of bouncing them just enough to shield poke, or hit them when they're playing on the ledge.

WBGC is still very manageable, Glide tossing too. Spacing to keep them out, which is normally we excel at gets hampered slightly but they lose some of their ability to space us as well.

Snake, Oli, and Ganon get way bigger boosts on wifi then ROB...

Edit: Seen the mention of Nado online.... its so ******** trying to space something against it online :(

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I played MK today in wifi and nado is just weird. It's hard to mash as it's easy to mistime and make it laggy.
And it's really hard to space a nado so it's easier to break.

For Robot: He is way better than MK in wifi play. His tilts have similar effect to Snake's, pretty much unpunishable if the player knows the basics of mixup.
And if you can't aim lasers in wifi, well... I guess you should try Samus as her missiles home :)

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
LoL Meta Knight is a better character than R.O.B. in Wi-Fi, don't be trolling.

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
Tourney this weekend, got some specific matchups Im kinda worried about, if you guys can share your opinion that would be great, although I will dig through the MU discussion a little.
Lolimar
Ness (really)
Falco
Marth

Sharky

Smash Master
you should have come to me about ness lol, I play 1337-0 (the ness he's talking about) in tourney all the time it seems. He gets grabbed easily IMO, I'd try to learn the grab release cg on him to get him offstage for a good gimping opportunity. If you can't get the cg down then down and forward tilt are also guaranteed. Be sure to DI b-throw correctly cause if the first one he uses doesn't kill you you're probably guaranteed to live for a while longer cause it stales a pretty good amount. Be wary of dairs offstage obviously, and pay attention to the way he dances around you with rising aerials and such.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
What does MK get from wifi? NERFS

Tornado is harder to avoid, but it's already hard to avoid and lag ruins the mashing and spacing of it.
His moves are so fast that you can't use your reaction in wifi to abuse them.
All of his moves are already so fast that lag doesn't affect them so they are nerfed.

Rob gets... Pros, just pros, nothing except **** like soft glidetoss is nerfed in wifi.
Rob's projectiles reach the level or Grenades in wifi. Laser, which normally sucks, becomes a feared projectile. Glidetossing is so safe you can literally spam it, you are in your foes face before they can react.
Rob's laggy fsmash is a great killmove in wifi.

Rob's recover is tons better in wifi.

Tell me one thing Rob loses in wifi and what MK gains in wifi.

Top Bottom