• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I don't think so. Think about it. Pretty much all his bad attributes are either remover or become powerful.
The biggest change is his projectiles, they wreck in wifi.

But anyways, if you play wifi you should already feel bad and die.

Sharky

Smash Master
you act like wifi lag is always at its worst or something, and that you can't do anything about any move. I can still do all the same stuff on wifi I can do offline, it's just a little different. I certainly still have time to dodge stuff like rob's laser or gyro. And if you don't (even a little bit) see a glide toss coming (aka recognize the spacing and the possibility), you're bad anyway so I don't really value your opinion all that much lmao.

EVERYONE gains in wifi, if the move is quick then you don't have time to DI it, which can make just as much of a difference. ROB is still not that good, maybe a half tier better but that doesn't cut it.

Everyone has stuff they can abuse in lag. I don't play wifi that much but damn you're just kind of ignorant and I couldn't resist replying

stingers

Smash Obsessed
actually, everyone loses in wifi. lol.
if you were playing with wifi lag against someone who was playing with no lag, what would happen?

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
you act like wifi lag is always at its worst or something, and that you can't do anything about any move. I can still do all the same stuff on wifi I can do offline, it's just a little different. I certainly still have time to dodge stuff like rob's laser or gyro. And if you don't (even a little bit) see a glide toss coming (aka recognize the spacing and the possibility), you're bad anyway so I don't really value your opinion all that much lmao.

EVERYONE gains in wifi, if the move is quick then you don't have time to DI it, which can make just as much of a difference. ROB is still not that good, maybe a half tier better but that doesn't cut it.

Everyone has stuff they can abuse in lag. I don't play wifi that much but damn you're just kind of ignorant and I couldn't resist replying
Thank you, he doesn't listen to me anymore.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Yeah, because YOUR main is the hardest character in game who is the HARDEST in wifi and who gets THE MOST respect for winning and is THE MOST balanced character in the game.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Yeah, because YOUR main is the hardest character in game who is the HARDEST in wifi and who gets THE MOST respect for winning and is THE MOST balanced character in the game.
flail post is flail.

Tourney this weekend, got some specific matchups Im kinda worried about, if you guys can share your opinion that would be great, although I will dig through the MU discussion a little.
Lolimar
Ness (really)
Falco
Marth
Ok I've put this off long enough I'll give you some of my MU opinions.

The oli MU is very one dimensional: as soon as he gets in the air, capitalize and we win. But how do we do this when they know they don't want to be in the air? Well the secret is that we can actually approach olimar, even though he has amazing anti-approach options because of the risk vs return. The grab/pivot grab may seem amazing, but it has one substantial flaw: during olimar's 'pull back' animation, we are free to mash out of his grab. This means that at low percents, his grabs can be beat depending on how fast/early you mash. Be prepared to wiggle out of grabs and it becomes a lot less scary. His Fsmash is actually quite effective against us, but since we are ready to mash out of grab, approaching with shield is actually a good option. Grab him, fthrow/dthrow him and get him in the air. Now he knows he's in deep doo doo, so he will try to either airdodge whatever we try or challenge our followup with fair. So just keep approaching with shield when he's low to the ground. As soon as you see a opportunity to fair, capitalize and we can kill him as early as 50%. The thrown purple pikimin are the biggest nightmare, kill them asap. Memorize that they have 15hp and try to kill them with two moves like fair > dtlit. Learn to restore your ledge invincibility when hes far off the stage by dropping of the ledge and up-b. This will make ledge hogging considerably easier, and you'll be more prepared for his-get-back-on-the-stage game. Ban Delphino, he gets a lot of purples on that stage. Pictochat is also good for him, but due to it's high ceiling up-smash becomes a lot less scary, which means he will want to throw us into hazards, so be ready to mash. Honestly our best stages against him are FD and SV, that's where I would CP him.

The ness MU is harder than you might expect, I have a lot of experience playing smash64. His fair is really good at shutting down our approaches, and it can combo into itself. DI away and jump/up-b ASAP imo. His up-b can be really annoying when we are too far up to punish him, so try canceling his PK thunder with a fair or nair, airdodging is not as effective as you might imagine. His PK fire can really rack up % if your not ready for it, always expect it when he's jumping at a 45 degree angle, PS and punish with fair. When hes recovering the best way to gimp him is to kill the PK thunder, try to stay above him and cancel it out before he can torpedo himself towards us. At 120% he can now kill us with his Bthrow, this is very important to note. You must avoid getting grabbed at all costs, understand that he wants grab and punish him for it. Ban brinstar, CP him to frigate/Halberd.

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
I really appreciate the help, tako... I just wish I could have seen it before I left for the tourney :/
Anyway, I ended up 2-0 ing the olimar I was worried about, I just played really aggro at the beginning of each of his stocks, trying to prevent him from getting his bearing. Aggressive was much more effective then the cautious/reactive way I played him. My mix-ups were also much better than last time, which made approach possible. Against ness, I beat him on Smashville, he took me to Delfino and beat me, then I just out-camped and timed him out on FD (although I felt like a total ****...)
But yeah, those MU descriptions were spot-on, and even though I didnt get to see them, I really appreciate the help!

smash64

Smash Champion
flail post is flail.

Ok I've put this off long enough I'll give you some of my MU opinions.

The oli MU is very one dimensional: as soon as he gets in the air, capitalize and we win. But how do we do this when they know they don't want to be in the air? Well the secret is that we can actually approach olimar, even though he has amazing anti-approach options because of the risk vs return. The grab/pivot grab may seem amazing, but it has one substantial flaw: during olimar's 'pull back' animation, we are free to mash out of his grab. This means that at low percents, his grabs can be beat depending on how fast/early you mash. Be prepared to wiggle out of grabs and it becomes a lot less scary. His Fsmash is actually quite effective against us, but since we are ready to mash out of grab, approaching with shield is actually a good option. Grab him, fthrow/dthrow him and get him in the air. Now he knows he's in deep doo doo, so he will try to either airdodge whatever we try or challenge our followup with fair. So just keep approaching with shield when he's low to the ground. As soon as you see a opportunity to fair, capitalize and we can kill him as early as 50%. The thrown purple pikimin are the biggest nightmare, kill them asap. Memorize that they have 15hp and try to kill them with two moves like fair > dtlit. Learn to restore your ledge invincibility when hes far off the stage by dropping of the ledge and up-b. This will make ledge hogging considerably easier, and you'll be more prepared for his-get-back-on-the-stage game. Ban Delphino, he gets a lot of purples on that stage. Pictochat is also good for him, but due to it's high ceiling up-smash becomes a lot less scary, which means he will want to throw us into hazards, so be ready to mash. Honestly our best stages against him are FD and SV, that's where I would CP him.

The ness MU is harder than you might expect, I have a lot of experience playing smash64. His fair is really good at shutting down our approaches, and it can combo into itself. DI away and jump/up-b ASAP imo. His up-b can be really annoying when we are too far up to punish him, so try canceling his PK thunder with a fair or nair, airdodging is not as effective as you might imagine. His PK fire can really rack up % if your not ready for it, always expect it when he's jumping at a 45 degree angle, PS and punish with fair. When hes recovering the best way to gimp him is to kill the PK thunder, try to stay above him and cancel it out before he can torpedo himself towards us. At 120% he can now kill us with his Bthrow, this is very important to note. You must avoid getting grabbed at all costs, understand that he wants grab and punish him for it. Ban brinstar, CP him to frigate/Halberd.
He's lying...

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
ok... something's been annoying me non-stop, so I'm finally going to ask.

Can you catch ROB's Gyro when it's shot/thrown at you? I have no problem catching any other item in the game... except the Gyro. I catch items with 90-100% consistency (so fun to do as Diddy with Bananas), but the Gyro I almost always miss.

I know I can simply shield it, but if I can catch it, it would be way more beneficial to me. So... is it possible to catch?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
He means out of the charge, not from a throw. I have never seen anyone do it from the catch and it is possible, then it becomes a crappy projectile.

After it's thrown it's ofc easy to pick up.

buenob

Smash Lord
yes you can catch it... my "friends" catch it on me like 90% of the time...

mind you, they are metaknight, and use Uair to catch it, so there might be something with the hit/hurt box at different angles

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
hi rob boards. im a combo pit/marth main who combo seconds ROB/Fox/Falco. i don't really ever use ROB but i acknowledge him as one of my seconds because i am just naturally in tune with ROB. i don't know why but he has always been a character who i can count on when my others can't win a certain MU be it in his favor or not. which is why i plan to start training him to be my third main soon but i need to a couple things before i get hardcore with my ROB skills and training.

1) wat is the match up #ratio for ROBvsWario and ROBvsOlimar? i don't need to know why he wins or loses yet i just need to know IF he wins or loses.

2) on a scale of 1-these boards be schweet, are these boards really really schweet?

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
R.O.B. vs Wario = 45:55 R.O.B..
R.O.B. vs Olimar = 45:55 R.O.B. (according to me, but people say that it may be 50:50 or even in R.O.B.'s favour).

10/10 of sweetness! Sugar becomes sour.

Welcome! ([^^]

Silhouette

Smash Lord
hi rob boards. im a combo pit/marth main who combo seconds ROB/Fox/Falco. i don't really ever use ROB but i acknowledge him as one of my seconds because i am just naturally in tune with ROB. i don't know why but he has always been a character who i can count on when my others can't win a certain MU be it in his favor or not. which is why i plan to start training him to be my third main soon but i need to a couple things before i get hardcore with my ROB skills and training.

1) wat is the match up #ratio for ROBvsWario and ROBvsOlimar? i don't need to know why he wins or loses yet i just need to know IF he wins or loses.

2) on a scale of 1-these boards be schweet, are these boards really really schweet?
Those MU's are generally slight disadvantage for ROB, I generally agree with ccst's ratios.

These boards have always been schweet.

TeeVee

Smash Lord
R.O.B. vs Wario = 45:55 R.O.B..
R.O.B. vs Olimar = 45:55 R.O.B. (according to me, but people say that it may be 50:50 or even in R.O.B.'s favour).

10/10 of sweetness! Sugar becomes sour.

Welcome! ([^^]

lol...

wario is DEFF not in our favor

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Wario is a weird MU, he overwhelms us over like crazy with his mobility and far better weight and killpower. Somehow the MU still seems good. Kinda weird. It's also hard to not try to use grabs as I always forget that **** doesn't really work against him and I just get fsmashed and die at 100%.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
lol...

wario is DEFF not in our favor
What? That's what I said too? Wario has the favour, so what do you mean?

GwJumpman, that's a really wrong ratio LoL.

But can someone reply to my other post above? It's weird how the laser just disappeared.

TeeVee

Smash Lord
oh alright, you just worded it reallllly weird

you said 45 - 55 rob

making it look like rob was at 55

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
oh alright, you just worded it reallllly weird

you said 45 - 55 rob

making it look like rob was at 55
Not my problem though. "45:55 R.O.B." maybe was written wrong, I should have wrote "45:55 to R.O.B." next time. My bad, but I can't english 100 %. xD

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Yeah, but now (not then) I think we'll have an advantage over Olimar. 55:45 R.O.B..

But anyways, how do you "ledge run" and "glide-toss item throw back" (xD)? I can't the correct names but I'll hope you'd still understand. xD

Silhouette

Smash Lord
Yeah, but now (not then) I think we'll have an advantage over Olimar. 55:45 R.O.B..

But anyways, how do you "ledge run" and "glide-toss item throw back" (xD)? I can't the correct names but I'll hope you'd still understand. xD
You gotta fix how you write ratios, people interpret the side of the ratio the character name is on as their side of the MU.

So "Olimars favor. 55:45 ROB" is actually a contradiction.

I dont get what you mean by "ledge run" but for glidetossing:
-The direction you roll in is the direction you will slide
-but the direction you press the c-stick is the direction you will throw the item

So if you roll to the right, but c-stick to the left. you will "glide-tss item throw back"

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
No no, you all misunderstand me! xD

Once I saw a video where Donkey Kong could glide-toss a beam sword on training mode, but instead of tossing it forward (he went forward of course), he throw it backwards (by "backwards" I mean this: Imagine that you're holding Peach's plucked beam sword in a real battle, and then you press "Z"). Do you get my already bad explanation now?

And Silhouette; try to say "55:45 R.O.B." instead of reading it. Does it make any sense now? To me, it sounds that R.O.B. has the favour, even if "45" stands closer to "R.O.B.".

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Gyro is not a weapon item so it cannot be throwed like that if that's what you mean.
Or you mean throwing it up?

Top Bottom