• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

PEACE7

Smash Champion
What should I learn asap if I start using rob again like any chaingrabs if any locks what mu's to learn at's and pretty much anything that would affect my gameplay with rob by a lot

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Learn to use your Gyro well. Think of it like Diddy Kong, Rob is only a half of his potential without the proper use of it. It's Robs best tool in many situations, learn to abuse it.
And learn to recover smart, it sucks when you run out of fuel.

LordByronXIII

Smash Rookie
Hey guys. I hope to challenge my local Mario champ to a match this week (we have a weekly campus tournament) as it will be the last chance I get before he graduates, and I cannot find the Mario matchup info anywhere. Could you guys help me out. Just direct me where I need to go, or if there really isn't any guide out there, could ya'll give me some tips? He also plays Luigi and I can't seem to find any info on that matchup either. HELP! Thanks in advance

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Hello R.O.B. boards; just a question. What do you think about the R.O.B. MU and why? Thanks in advance!

LoL kidding; I've asked every character this question, just to see what they have to say about the R.O.B. MU. =P

Also what is "frame advantage on shield" and "shield stun" etc.? Could you give any specific examples?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Frame advantage on shield: If you hit a shield with an attack with this, you can move before your opponent gets out of his shield. I don't think Rob has this property in any move, but neither does most of the cast anyways.

Shield stun: I think it's when you get hit when shielding. The amount of stun is how long you are stuck in your shield before you can release it. An example is Powershield, it doesn't have shieldstun.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Pretty sure -LzR- covered it.

@ LordByronXIII: You'll just have to dig around man. I'd say that MU coverage is old but IMO what will help you a lot is learning how to not fall for mario's spacing into fsmashes and figuring out how to gimp the plumber

:phone:

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Frame advantage on shield: If you hit a shield with an attack with this, you can move before your opponent gets out of his shield. I don't think Rob has this property in any move, but neither does most of the cast anyways.

Shield stun: I think it's when you get hit when shielding. The amount of stun is how long you are stuck in your shield before you can release it. An example is Powershield, it doesn't have shieldstun.
K, thank you. Think I'll understand it now.
But what if you have a -10 frame thing on shield? LoL sorry, hope you'll understand what I meant there.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
It means the opponent has 10 frames to do whatever he wants to us before we can act.
It's called "unsafe on shield".
Sweetspot a knee into a shield and see how it works.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Sorry for double post but how can you cancel your charging gyro to an U-smash for instance?

Also, I want to see R.O.B.'s frame data and hitbox guide of every possible attack now! =P

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
How do you "sheild cancel" och "jump cancel"? Also how do you ledge walk?

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Stop being a d*** -LzR-.
I've been playing since game release and I'm not the best with SWF lingo. IIRC, shield canceling is exactly how it sounds; you will cancel the gyro charge by pressing shield. Then to jump cancel u-smash, you will hold up and press jump and A so fast that instead of registering an u-air, it will instead register an u-smash.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Sorry Mister Eric. I mean't no offense. I just said it. It's just that I find it interesting how he is asking soo much common knowledge now, maybe it's because of the tourney thing but whatever. Knowledge is power.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Sorry Mister Eric. I mean't no offense. I just said it. It's just that I find it interesting how he is asking soo much common knowledge now, maybe it's because of the tourney thing but whatever. Knowledge is power.
Very true.
But try to keep in mind that we all have different backgrounds.
Some of the greatest smashers are the "dumbest" lol.

@Tyler_ACE: Are you still wanting a wavebounce explained to you? If so, check this thread out:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=177509

by the way, I also feel that players should check out this thread before asking general (not specifically about ROB) questions here. You probably easily find an answer with a little browsing or with our newly fixed search bar.
the thread:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=266590

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Well yes, if ccst has any similar questions, he can just pop in by msn and I will explain them quickly to him :D

But yes, this game requires way more knowledge and stuff than tech skill or anything. You gotta know what things do and what they don't in order to know your options.

@ccst, if you are interested, try this: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=227773

Bertroll

Smash Cadet
I got a couple questions that I really could use second opinion in:

1st- when it comes to projectiles and camping / distance, have any of ya'll had noticed / come upon interesting observations regarding the laser recharge. I can never really decide if i want to charge gyro or just go for another laser if i have the opportunity. Or when the best time / place to shoot such projectiles. of course in the midst of closer spacing rob has a decent moveset to work with but in conjuction with gyro / laser baiting it can be very effective. Im wondering if laser is a good idea to use in midst of close combat (since it has aite kb with close range laser to face) or it is just a distance sniper. kills offstage using laser is common but at the same time we have such excellent moves to chase and gimp so idk if maybe we should first try to go out and gimp (maybe according to MU's but that should be clarified then eventually) or to chill on stage and edgeguard / snipe and gimp relatively in teh shallow waters near the stage before the players eventually reset / die. fully charged gyro is a great way to gimp offstage atm with its speed and path / bouncability aswell. perhaps give me some input on this?

2nd- can reading a spotdodge grant a bair punish everytime? bair lasts a while but at the same time i think some chars can shield / punish bair much easier but it works on other chars at times idk i kinda wanna know more / if someone can test cuz i dont have anything rly to do that.

3rd- spotdodging, bad habit to do it near the edge as we know. But when is it a good time to do it? fear with snake sometimes grants us a spotdodge room for air and punish but if the snake is smart he will wait for that. also i know our spotdodge goes in the z axis? when is that most helpful it looks like z axis for upper half of body so what kinda common approaches / attacks could affect such an exclusive area? I was thinking maybe reading metaknights glide attack with a spotdodge kinda depends id rather smack em in the face but if i aint got the time n i needa react idk if powershield / spotdodge is better his glide attack is hella effective on rob with it's mindgames.
also, double spotdodge? yes? no? hmmm it's an alright mixup but for what kindd of situation ?

4th- we need better ways to gain back control of the stage lol if only gyro / laser can shoot downwards lol. rob has awkward falling speed, and sometimes a very aggro person can catch rob and juggle him for a chunk of damage while caught in the air. it makes itdifficult when you are killing jumps and trying to just get back on stage and some breathing room. There are ways to get around this but in general its difficult and a tricky gimmick book to get back and nair gets really damn overdone maybe trying to shoot laser right before instead of fair? mixup? side b?

5th- does anyone have any early dair setups for rob? such as an early read / airdodge after blahblahblah attack can put rob in a perfect spot to dair and read the tech etc. Idk dair interests me i want to know if theres more effectiveness than i know of out there i seen some interesting dair maneuvers but its only once in awhile it has a really good bounce to it.

6th- Up b, can someone please test and see if double fair out with up b is faster than double fair normal jump? ex. Up b-> fair--upbcanceled>Fair

-LzR-

Smash Hero
1: Whenever you have time and space, you should charge a gyro. It can bait an opponent as you can shieldcancel it. It also gives you a damn good projectile and while it's charged, you flash and your opponent has to worry about it.
About lasers, check out your opponent... Does he constantly powershield your laser? Then go for sniping for easy kills instead of spamming it. Think of laser more like Pikachus thunder horizontally, then you should do better with it.

2: You are better off spamming dtilt or sneak in a grab instead of bair in that situation. No reason to stale bair.

3: Robs spotdodge is I think the best on in the game if you look in framedata. But a smart player can easily catch onto your spotdodging and you get punished hard. Try to be smart with it or you get punished. Even a triple spotdodge can surprise the opponent, they wouldn't expect anyone to do it 3 times in a row.
For beating MKs glideattack... You shouldn't... Try to avoid it IMO.

4: You mean a juggling situation? Try an AT called "WaveBounceGyroCancel" aka WBGC.
What it does? It makes you charge a gyro, instantly stop and makes you change directions as if you were Wario. I use it in every single match I play and it helps me in a lot of ways and helps our poor mobility.
It's not so easy to do, but I try to explain the best I can...

In order to do it, you must not have your gyro fully charged or in the stage. What you do is input a direction to build up momentum then you must press downwards diagonally in that direction you are moving and the input it again downwards behind you. This needs to be done fast. While you do it, hold your shield button. This allows you to stop it without airdodging. I have used this to quickly move into a nice bair position or something, I think it's Robs single most important AT to use.

5: Dair sucks, most of the time. It's only good for getting early kills when you can use it well which is hard. Trying to tech chase isn't going to work as they can move before you are finished with the move as it lags a lot. Try to avoid dair most of the time.

6: Upb has a little lag before you can do anything out of it. Jump doesn't really have any so I would say I am almost sure jumping is faster.

Hope it helps.

Bertroll

Smash Cadet
not at all bro. I was really hoping for a more technical response that has some testing done behind it with certain character setups n advantages. WBGC can get read and trust me it's a good technique but its not efficient enough I already have decent resetting techniques that work but when it comes to mk chasing it can make things really difficult specially when it comes to priority rob has a good advantage with recovering high / low depending on spacing but ehh i was jus wonderin maybe its more of a question of which attacks are best to reset vs edgeguarding approaches / common moves by X character. the laser response was really off what i intentionally meant by the question since i already got a good grasp on spacing and laser mechanisms except for "spamming" it which i never really did but wonder if laser has any good setup's / distance spacing when used intentionally in close range ? i guess i should look more into the data first before to see its advantages disadvantages over other moves. bair response didnt rly help its not a matter of staling but mix up with certain chars weight it can smooth into a nice follow up that is only achievable at lower %. bleh overall sry that didn't help lol. i know how to play rob bro it's just sorta concept questions in regards to i guess certain mu's maybe. maybe the 2nd up b fair feels faster or something because it is falling? idk up b sorta disadvantages and advantages we can only attack out of it to cancel and i wonder if the next attack out of that has any sort of special benefit / advantages... but ye anyone else can help / look up some things? ima start readin the q&a i guess for maybe possible inspiration.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I already told you what I know and spend a lot of time writing my response. I will not bother doing it again if you are gonna answer me back like that.

Bertroll

Smash Cadet
sorry i hurt ur feelings lol i got it figured out i wish i had a testing program / partner to sorta analyze and spread out the options in one's arsenal ~_~ but nevermind with the questions i think i know where to find the answers i want now

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Yea, I won't be able to dish you frame data atm (which should be a great concern to everyone). But I did just get into the smash lab and I will be looking extensively into ROB's game whenever I get out of school (in mid May). I will write up some responses for you unless you don't want them. As you (rudely) expressed with -LzR-, you seem to be much more interested in frame advantage and the such. But I do have a few non-framey tid bits I'd like to share with you. And if you don't find them useful, someone will. I will post this tomorrow most likely.

edit:
Nvm, I got more time:

I will try to answer your questions to the best of my ability.

1.What's so neat about ROB's projectile game is that it makes him mighty
flexible. You have the options to mix things up. Do you go for face shorts?
Sure. I do it. I find that a lot of times that I'm in someone's face and
momentum is definitely in my favor, that people will get very defensive
and begin to spam dodges so they can quickly get out of your shower of fairs.
Well why not throw out a move that has a hurt box that comes out a good bit
slower than the fair. Something you might have to keep in mind tho, a face
shot is a gtfo move. So if you think that you can keep stringing fairs, do it.
But if you have a good read on the dodge and you want to blast them in the face
just to add some more dmg and hope you get them off stage, do it.

As for the crucial decision, "should I laser or should I gimp now?" It's entirely
situational. You should probably consider if your laser is fat. If it's a character
like Snake, you should consider will your laser eat through their second jump
as they will prob use it pretty quickly in order to get a better vertical recovery.
I mix it up depending on where I'm at and what my goal is. If I have the opportunity
to shoot to kill, I usually shoot because I usally don't miss (unless they dodge of
course). If I'm super close to the ledge and I just knocked them off the stage, then
that situation is just screaming for a gimp. I mean, I can't really tell you a strict
path to take, berto. These types of feelings just come with practice and experimenting.
Find out what's working the most and what isn't.

2.) I would never try to backair punish a spotdodging D3. And I don't normally bair punish
spot dodges, but it might not be a bad idea if you have the timing down. I would just work
with someone on this. Get them to mix up spotdodges with different chars and see if a.) you
can react fast enough and b.) is it worth the risk of getting that close (you know if we ram
our heads into an MK, he's just going to nair or up-b the beep out of us if he shields it.

3.) This is something, I believe, that needs looked into more. I normally like spotdodging moves
such as a Lucario's dair after I've upward shielded about 1 or 2. The last hit of dancing blade if
it's spaced well. If it's not spaced well, then shield grab him before the last hit. If he hits you his
multi hit dancing blade (which I think is the green one) then SDI through and punish him if you can.
I'm trying to be a little less spotdodgy dependednt as it's becoming more and more the norm to read and
punish. But just like you, I'm interested in researching on how useful ROB's spotdodge rly is through
frame-by-frame study.
Double spotdoding can be a good mindgame. I would like to know how many frames he's vulnerable for in-between
spotdodges though.

4.) Yes this can be a pain. As you've probably already have seen, Ocean demonstrates a way to snag a free top
while forced to the edge at 0:08 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsSPnnZ_rq8
On top of that, I've been playing with side-bing back onto the stage. As you may or may not know, when rob
inputs a jump and side b at the exact same time, he gets a lot of air. To try to take advantage of this, I've
been dropping down from the ledge inputting jump (I use Z) and B at the same time and get rob to land exactly on
the stage with a few multi hits and the quick last one being good knock back for if they try to punish. Also,
this is a little not what your asking for but I find it important:
If you turn ROB's back from the stage and you're recovering high, start dairing and gain the good deal of backwards
momentum you get from this. This will save you a lot of fuel. And although you may disagree, you're going to have
one heck of a time convincing me that B-reversals aren't good at resetting. Yes it's readable, but do it to where
you're baiting reads. It's the best b-reversal (down b) in the game imo. Why not take advantage of it. I like hanging on
the ledge, inputting a jump, buffering a b-reversed down b, and then buffering a b-reversed up-b to get you going back
towards the stage with good momentum.
Try it.

5.) I'm quite interested in dair setups also. The dair maneuver that I use is running away from the opponent, b-reversing an up-b (being in fuel-mode is crucial)
and inputting a dair as you fly backwards and upwards (by holding up form up-b) from your opponent. I almost never get punished for it and if I hit,
then it's profit. This surprise attack can sometimes trigger a spotdodge which the dair is slow enough to eat through.

6.) I would say it's mighty the same but I will test this for you when I'm able to or unless you find out before me.
Something I do like to take advantage of is rob's hovering ability by pressing up after I use a fair and hover just high
enough above the ground to perhaps trick the opponent into thinking im landing and when they try to punish, swing out one
more fiar.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
i still dont know how to do it properly out of gyro charge. i do it but it's like slower than it should be
w.e

Thedude3000

Smash Rookie
I want to know if if it possible of doing a glide toss why the gyro, but without fire the gyro. In fact, I want to know if a glide toss is possible from while I gyro charge and if yes how?

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
do what out of gyro charge? I didnt read erics long post, but I could probably help u out lol
I don't think it's anything to do with my post but I think you should read my post tho. >.> i think my idea of conserving fuel with a backwards dair is pretty useful
and my use of up-b dairing out of a reverse up b.
I think Chibo is referring to shield cancelling gyro into a jump cancelled up-smash.

I want to know if if it possible of doing a glide toss why the gyro, but without fire the gyro. In fact, I want to know if a glide toss is possible from while I gyro charge and if yes how?
here you go!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiChxW8yCmo

nah actually it's an april fool's joke. but it would be cool tho :p

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Useful stuff Mister Eric. I definitely have to play with WBGC to Upb. The momentum sounds crazy.
I just love that Robs crappy mobility is not a problem when we have several tools to remove the weakness :) Kinda like MK can use nado or glide.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
yea i was referring to usmashing from it

i know how to usmash oos perfectly

and obv u can cancel gyro charge with shield, but the regular way is laggy
isn't there a way to speed up the whole process? or during that awkward lag time from charge to shield, can u cancel it to usmash?

idec, i just so what works

-LzR-

Smash Hero
You can perform your move so fast you can barely see your shield. In a sense its unpunishable.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
eric, while ur rising with dair out of up-b, it uses fuel the whole time. same with bair
yes i know.
you only rise it for the reverse up-b > rising dair tho

when you turn your back towards the stage and dair, you do not rise it, nor use fuel.

edit:

i have a really bad habit of being too vague whenever i try to explain things. main reason i dropped being an education major lol.
so yea, bear with me <3

Thedude3000

Smash Rookie
haha i didnt even knew the was an april's fool, well thx anyway, still I have some difficulties with the TAC thing, when you change the way your character is facing and when you cancel the frame by attacking and the attack is done directly. I wonder if you have any tips for this, cause its bothers me a lot specialy for the up-B.

(BTW i am playing with a Classical Wii controller, i know that its weird cause everybody uses gamecube controller but i like mine better so if its about the button configuration i can change it.)

aqua421

Smash Apprentice
Can anyone give me some helpful advice against D3? I keep getting grabbed too easily. Do I want to space with bair instead of fair?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Well the MU sucks and you really won't be able to avoid the grab much as Rob. You must camp all the time. Try another character for real.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Or actually give him advice on the MU. Picking up new characters for certain MU's is dumb. Learn the MU as the character you want to play.

But yeah, you want to camp. Let him come to you, you know he wants the grab, so bait it and punish accordingly. Dedede is slow, and a big target for lasers and gyros, and he has a hard time picking up the gyro off the ground. If you're gonna try spacing with fair, make sure you don't land right away, jump or up B to land in a safer spot, or you'll probably get grabbed.

Top Bottom