• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Ooooh wait nvm... I got our set mixed up with the one with Delta. Delta took his SD card and put it in the Wii to save them.

I still think ours were saved though, but to the system memory. Whoever's Wii it is would have them. I think I remember saving them.

I would really like to see my set with Ikon also, I played the DDD matchup VERY well in that set iirc.

Though yea I also really can not wait for the Delta set. I demonstrate perhaps the best use of ROB's side B, the Yoshi matchup. It's a time where you can legit use the move over and over properly, and it works.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Wario? 45:55
Snake?45:55

:phone:
Snake is 40:60 our disadvantage.
Wario is 45:55 our disadvantage.

R.O.B. should be higher on the tier list? Meta Knight is a tournament dominating character, so good luck with that. No one represents him which also matters. He is a solid middle tier, and his MUs are decent, but against the top tiers though, man look at them and conclude. R.O.B. can only go down, sorry but it's true. It sounds better if we say that characters below R.O.B. rise above him instead... =/

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Rob doesn't do anything for any important matchups and has several things that suck like abusable recovery, laggy moves and unreliable killmoves and horrible blindspots and stuff.
Oh and like the crappiest shield ever. At least Yoshis doesn't poke lol.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Yeah, but it's kinda true, Rob get poked by pretty much anything and his OoS isn't really good either unless you have a gyro or something in your hand.

8Bitman

Smash Master
I'm sorry for asking this, but I never understood frames.
I know what they are and understand the concept but I never knew the frames and such of any characters move sets.

Is there any link that anyone can give me to show me the frames of every characters' move sets, or at least R.O.B's???

I need help punishing and I know this would help me a ton in the MU's I have trouble on.

Smash Lab is currently working on frame data for all characters. Right now we are done for the most part, and are preparing them for public release. Because we are mainly doing this in tiers, you should expect ROB's data to be released sometime in the near future.

8Bitman

Smash Master
Alright, thank you soo much Indigo! ^_^

Yeah I have seen a thread that had R.O.B's moveset, hitboxes, and frames, but they weren't in a video format. I take the ones they are making are going to be in a video format???

Again thanks, I am going to study it like crazy when it does. Also as in near future do you mean some time this Summer?

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
8bit, we have some of the frame data in a thread floating around and another few bits and pieces of it in the ROB guide.

Alright, thank you soo much Indigo! ^_^

Yeah I have seen a thread that had R.O.B's moveset, hitboxes, and frames, but they weren't in a video format. I take the ones they are making are going to be in a video format???

Again thanks, I am going to study it like crazy when it does. Also as in near future do you mean some time this Summer?
Oh man, sorry for not seeing this earlier.

Yeah, hopefully sometime this summer. Although I'm not too sure what you mean by a video format... if you're wondering if there are going to be videos for each action detailing hitboxes and frames, then maybe not. Right now the best bet would be images. Though I could maaaybe work something out. I kind of can't record stuff, so I'm not making any promises. Sorry.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
A guy named Marcus does crazy footstool stuff on R.O.B. with almost every character on the rooster. Can't think anything but going straight down to spot number 19. I've always thought that so you can't call me biased, and yes; I'm a huge pessimist. Poor R.O.B. with his crazy footstool animation and big size (blind spots). We can't blame him for being floaty though.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Do you have any advice in defending my self as rob? I keep getting pwned by donkey kong pros :(

Don't approach; they will just grab out of shield if you hit their shield, and we all know how good R.O.B. is on poking, (Sakurai: *Laughs*). Try to space and tilt much. Once you get Donkey Kong in the air you can start racking damage. Yeah.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
If the opponent doesn't DI, does a fresh dash attack combo into anything?

I tried my best to test it in training mode by myself on MK mashing jump and I got these results.

0%
- Dash Attack > buffered Dash Attack: couldn't jump, registers as 2 consecutive hits
- Dash Attack > buffered jab: couldn't jump, registers as 2 consecutive hits

40%
- Dash Attack > buffered dash SH rising Fair: couldn't jump, registers as 2 consecutive hits

85%
- Dash Attack > BDACUS: couldn't jump, registers as 2 consecutive hits
- Dash Attack (hitbox closest to ROB) > buffered jump canceled Up smash: couldn't jump, registers as 2 consecutive hits

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
the opponent being able to DI kind of ruins everything

it can combo into a lot but it all requires good reaction seeing where the opponent goes

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
R.O.B. dropped 3 spots more on the tier list; saw that comming. And in my honest opinion Pit should be above R.O.B..

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
so is there any way of not getting wrecked by shuttle loop when trying to get back to the stage?
There are ways, you just have to know how to zone it out.
I really think b-reversals help here.
Also, if you recover high while flying backwards, you can get mk going one way and this start bairing to switch momentum very quickly. And if you know how to b-reverse the gyro, you could even get another juke in if you see the opportunity arise. I canse upload a video of me doing this if you like.

If the opponent doesn't DI, does a fresh dash attack combo into anything?

I tried my best to test it in training mode by myself on MK mashing jump and I got these results.

0%
- Dash Attack > buffered Dash Attack: couldn't jump, registers as 2 consecutive hits
- Dash Attack > buffered jab: couldn't jump, registers as 2 consecutive hits

40%
- Dash Attack > buffered dash SH rising Fair: couldn't jump, registers as 2 consecutive hits

85%
- Dash Attack > BDACUS: couldn't jump, registers as 2 consecutive hits
- Dash Attack (hitbox closest to ROB) > buffered jump canceled Up smash: couldn't jump, registers as 2 consecutive hits
I'm curious about this too. I can give my thoughts later once I analyze it more.

Yeah, pretty much Breversals. They're the best for recovery trixies, seeing as ROB's basic recovery is pretty straightforward. Your best option would maybe be Breversing your UpB as it has the best momentum out of the four, but it's not always very realistic a choice, so go with Breverse gyro charge cancel. Though like st0ngers said, above or below, preferably below, since ROB gets pretty much ***** by anything and anyone from below.

Eric, chibo summed it up. DI :c Brawl "combos" are more about reading and successful preemptive action. There aren't many "set" combos, or at least that I know of. edit: aside from locks, but ROB doesn't have very many of those

You've got a point there, but man, I've been ****ed over so many times when trying to go over anyone that I honestly prefer going below.

Dair hits on F20, and Nair on F18 (then takes longer to reach below ROB, though the hitbox closest to him is transcendent), while Uair hits on F7.

But w/e, like you said, it's preference. Each one has its pros and cons.

webshooter

Smash Rookie
Every time I try to z-catch my gyro mid-air, I end up airdodging and catching it, which sometimes costs a stock(hard to explain, don't ask). Simply put, how do I z-catch 100% of the time without airdodging? Sometimes I catch my gyro without airdodging and sometimes i airdodge.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Yeah, pretty much Breversals. They're the best for recovery trixies, seeing as ROB's basic recovery is pretty straightforward. Your best option would maybe be Breversing your UpB as it has the best momentum out of the four, but it's not always very realistic a choice, so go with Breverse gyro charge cancel. Though like st0ngers said, above or below, preferably below, since ROB gets pretty much ***** by anything and anyone from below.

Eric, chibo summed it up. DI :c Brawl "combos" are more about reading and successful preemptive action. There aren't many "set" combos, or at least that I know of. edit: aside from locks, but ROB doesn't have very many of those
If you turn around ROB, when recovering high, you can get over the stage easier (without being low to the ground and without wasting fuel) then, when you get enough backwards momentum, you can bair to b-reversed gyro.

As for the Brawl combos, of course DI can cancel it out, but leave nothing out. If we can remember what we can follow up with, with all sorts of DI, then we can better our dmg.

What's up ROB mains?

I have a couple of questions I want to ask and I'd like you guys to help me answer them. They're all related to Norfair by the way.

1) How does your character fare with just the stage? Does your character benefit from the layout and the numerous hazards or do they normally hinder you?
2) How does your character generally fare on this stage against certain matchups? Does he excel in a lot of them and only has a few bad MUs, or is he generally bad on this stage against a large portion of the cast?
3) What are some general strategies for your character on this stage? Controlling the center? Stalling? Staying mobile?
4) Overall, would you say that this stage is mostly good for your character, mostly bad, or depends?

Thanks in advance!

This mass survey across most of the character boards is admin approved.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Yo. Sorry grim for not responding. As far as I'm aware, the banana infinite is possible, but I am uncertain as to how it's done and it might be only doable on FD due to platforms. If I find the real answer soon, I will both respond here and send you a msg to let you know.

@Twinkie, I'll respond with what I can in a few hrs. Having dinner with dad atm

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Every time I try to z-catch my gyro mid-air, I end up airdodging and catching it, which sometimes costs a stock(hard to explain, don't ask). Simply put, how do I z-catch 100% of the time without airdodging? Sometimes I catch my gyro without airdodging and sometimes i airdodge.
Timing based as far as I know.

What's up ROB mains?

I have a couple of questions I want to ask and I'd like you guys to help me answer them. They're all related to Norfair by the way.

1) How does your character fare with just the stage? Does your character benefit from the layout and the numerous hazards or do they normally hinder you?
2) How does your character generally fare on this stage against certain matchups? Does he excel in a lot of them and only has a few bad MUs, or is he generally bad on this stage against a large portion of the cast?
3) What are some general strategies for your character on this stage? Controlling the center? Stalling? Staying mobile?
4) Overall, would you say that this stage is mostly good for your character, mostly bad, or depends?

Thanks in advance!

1.) I personally don't like the layout of the stage because my ROB isn't very fond of playing on the ledge. But if you asked just about any other ROB main, they would probably say that they make those 6 ledges their home and would have it no other way. On the topic of the numerous hazards, rob isn't very mobile in the air besides from what momentum he gets from his b-reversals which are more-so for juking than getting the heck out of dodge. Plus, he's a big target (dat badonkadonk). So I can see him struggling with the stage hazards to a point.

2.) Seeing as ROB doesn't necessarily have a bad stage, how we fare on a stage is entirely dependent on the MU. Despite being an avid tourney goer for almost 3 years now for Brawl, I've only been cp'd to Norfair as ROB (he's all I play) probably only a handful of times. And the only two chars that come to mind that have taken me there is Wario and G&W. If anything, it prob means that there's a better stage to take ROB to (like Brinstar, Rainbow).

3.) My general strat would be to stay under the opponent since the stage is kind of sectioned off into layers. ROB is a total mess with someone below him due to his dair. It's not particularly wise to often attack on his way down so seeking refuge to a ledge is usually more practical. Using the gyro to force chars to certain parts of the stage is always a plus too. A gyro in the center of a platform pretty much controls that platform. So, for once, ROB can feel like Snake with "full" stage control lol.
When a stage hazard is approaching, I generally like to keep it cool and not fight close up until it passes. If it's a lava-fall, whether horizontal or vertical, I might throw out a laser or gyro to put them in a sticky situation. But that's about the gist of contact I prefer to be in during these moments.

4.) I would say it depends on playstyle preference. I for one would never take a character here due to my love for the ground game. I'm a very flashy ROB and I don't feel like I can do as much on this stage. I know some ROBs who like it, and other who don't.

Hope this helps.

@Eric

Thankyouuuuuuuu
Anytime<3

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
What's up ROB mains?

Thanks in advance!

1. I think ROB does well on it. Multiple ledges helps with recovery keeping it versatile. Harzards aren't too much of an issue, since ROB can navigate around the stage however he wants.

2. It's better in some and worse in others. Characters can can easily attack higher platforms from lower ones (Snake) will be tougher for ROB since it takes advantage of his bottom blind spot even on normal ground play. I find the layout though also helps shield ROB from some projectile campers like Toon Link. Overall, it's not too changing in general. MK's up air to nado kills could be a course for concern though.

3. Limiting stage options with gyros + lava. Using the platform layout to score easier fsmash and usmash kills. Recovering low.

4. It's tough to say one way or the other. It being legal makes ROB no worse, but it's not like amazing for him to have either. I would possibly CP it in one or two matchups, though I feel a lot of that is to abuse the lack of knowledge of it from my opponent. I don't mind being CP'd there, except from Snake, I would say that's the only matchup that truly irks me on there.

The impression I'm getting is that Norfair is a good stage for ROB in the sense that the features of the stage don't really hurt ROB (it doesn't make him any worse), but on the other hand, the stage has nothing spectacular for him either. It would be "just another stage" for ROB, that he can work with. Since he has no overwhelmingly good or bad qualities, I would imagine that the stage depends on what character ROB is fighting against, kinda like how you put it Chibo. You would only take like 1 or 2 characters there.

Would you guys agree that it "depends" then? I would also imagine that ROB would be controlling the bottom platform too.

Also, thanks for responding, Chibo!

Top Bottom