• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

PEACE7

Smash Champion
Does Rob have a lock on fox of any sort? I remember seeing something somewhere that looked like a lock on him but I have no idea if its true

aqua421

Smash Apprentice
how do i deal with sonic running all over the place and using spin dash? i thought it would be easy for me since i had laser and gyro but it turned out to be harder than i thought but maybe i was just doing it wrong.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Does Rob have a lock on fox of any sort? I remember seeing something somewhere that looked like a lock on him but I have no idea if its true
Completely DI'able, but you can usually string a good deal of (weak) u-tilts on Fox.

how do i deal with sonic running all over the place and using spin dash? i thought it would be easy for me since i had laser and gyro but it turned out to be harder than i thought but maybe i was just doing it wrong.
Laser, to me, is kind of meh in this MU.
By the time ROB gets it out, Sonic has already ran 50 laps around the stage. Not saying don't use laser, but don't think it will shut down his speed.

Gyro, on the other hand, is helpful.

By placing a charged gyro on the stage, you immediately place an obstacle in Sonic's way.
I don't have any vids up of me vs Sonic (that I'm aware of), so watch this one of Chibo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Cl9k_bb5lA
Notice how he starts out placing a gyro on the stage?
Yeah, he can get over it, but then you know which route he has to take to get to you. Sonic can really test your reaction time.
The best thing about this MU is that if you zone Sonic correctly, he "can't" kill you. At least not until a reasonably high %.

Just watch over that video, keep a gyro on the stage, increase your reaction time, work on outzoning Sonic, and keep out fast moves and you should be fine. If you have any questions just ask.

Hope this helps.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Just try it out and see what you can pull off, PEACE7.

and npz.

PEACE7

Smash Champion
Alright Rob is mad fun does anyone know of any setups to get a dtilt lock as you walk like can someone tell me the spacing of it and ways of getting it please and thank you :)

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Alright Rob is mad fun does anyone know of any setups to get a dtilt lock as you walk like can someone tell me the spacing of it and ways of getting it please and thank you :)
Here's something universal to consider:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyFtJDxsqMs

Here's a glidetoss setup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAkLb01tdzQ&feature=channel_video_title

The gyro and backair set up can work quite nicely:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IorjkNqVw5E

Tell me what you think.
Hope this helps =]

PEACE7

Smash Champion
Eric that's watsup thanks man that's exactly what I needed I like the one with the gyro and glidetossing it downwards to dtilt lock its ****

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
npz
haha i pause and scream everytime i miss out on a d-tilt lock.
in friendlies of course xD

PEACE7

Smash Champion
Lol I never pulled one off ill let you know when I do they are just so sexy I understand why you would scream xD

Croissant

Smash Apprentice
Completely DI'able, but you can usually string a good deal of (weak) u-tilts on Fox.

Laser, to me, is kind of meh in this MU.
By the time ROB gets it out, Sonic has already ran 50 laps around the stage. Not saying don't use laser, but don't think it will shut down his speed.

Gyro, on the other hand, is helpful.

By placing a charged gyro on the stage, you immediately place an obstacle in Sonic's way.
I don't have any vids up of me vs Sonic (that I'm aware of), so watch this one of Chibo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Cl9k_bb5lA
Notice how he starts out placing a gyro on the stage?
Yeah, he can get over it, but then you know which route he has to take to get to you. Sonic can really test your reaction time.
The best thing about this MU is that if you zone Sonic correctly, he "can't" kill you. At least not until a reasonably high %.

Just watch over that video, keep a gyro on the stage, increase your reaction time, work on outzoning Sonic, and keep out fast moves and you should be fine. If you have any questions just ask.

Hope this helps.
While I do agree with the gyro on stage blocking his options, it definitely gets annoying when they know how to dash-attack to pick it up... because then they can just spam b-moves all day while holding your gyro =T

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
While I do agree with the gyro on stage blocking his options, it definitely gets annoying when they know how to dash-attack to pick it up... because then they can just spam b-moves all day while holding your gyro =T
Just like Diddy, bait him to pick it up and smack the beep out of him. It's not like he's Falco. Weave through those lasers like a boss.

PEACE7

Smash Champion
Wow I'm so mad I got the dtilt lock going twice on a falco and I ****ed it up by doing a dsmash by mistake <_<

Also how do you shoot the laser while doing upB?

MetalPat

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Cl9k_bb5lA&feature=player_detailpage#t=416s
in this video of chibo/kid, as chibo is recovering i notice he does a b-ivot to get back onto the stage, but i dont see the gyro anywhere.
... plain and simply... wut?

in regards to this, i play TGS sonic quite often so i can agree to this. but more so what ive notice him do is he will spin dash right at the gyro then jump/airdodge out of it and either hold on to it or instantly chuck it into the air.

one of the big things i have noticed that helps alot int he MU is robs pivot grabs. if you get used to it, you can retreat/pivot grab sonic out of his spindash. its really easy to bait and robs grab is already so good :)

on more thing that i have noticed not alot of people know (because they never play sonics) is you can siphon him out of his upB. watching videos ive noticed alot of sonics abuse this and recover low, giving just enough space to land on the stage. but if you space it well enough you can siphon and grab release them to their death >:)

EDIT: please keep in mind this is just my own experiences with ONE sonic. tho we play very very often.
..i kinda hate sonic

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207

MetalPat

Smash Ace
It came out.
It's just a combination of blue ROB + "darkish" quality that makes it hard to see.
ok yeah i can kind of see it.
i guess i mis stated my question though, sorry
what i meant to ask is this.
when i see him do the pivot, he enters the "charging" state of the gyro, but before he lands, it seems like he was able to cancel/get out of the charging state without airdodging. i've watched it several times and that is just how i see it, but again i may be wrong.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
It's called a wavebounce gyro cancel, you can cancel the gyro without having to air dodge, but you don't actually charge the gyro at all.

MetalPat

Smash Ace
It's called a wavebounce gyro cancel, you can cancel the gyro without having to air dodge, but you don't actually charge the gyro at all.
ohhh, see now that you mention it i understand -_-
i learned to do it off the gound, never knew you could do it out of recovery thank you.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
ohhh, see now that you mention it i understand -_-
i learned to do it off the gound, never knew you could do it out of recovery thank you.
You can't do it out of recovery (if recovery means up-b).
He was out of up-b mode once he up-aired. Yeah he does boost up a little after the up-air but that's what happens if you hold up during an up-b aerial.

You may know this stuff already, just clarifying:
If you hit an airdodge immediately out of an aerial down-b, it cancels and you don't airdodge. You would if you waited a few more frames.
The "wave bounce" (b-reversal) happens because immediately after down-b was initiated, Chibo flicked his control stick in the opposite direction (in this case right).

hope this helps<3

Zwarm

Smash Hero
You can also buffer the cancel like I do by holding down L/R while the down B is starting up, so you don't have to time it, since the timing is sorta tight. Fun fact: you can just hold down L/R in the air and press down B as many times as you want, and you'll always get the gyro cancel. It helps get those quick multiple turnarounds, and you can start holding L/R during up B to avoid having to airdodge to hold down L/R. So the input would be up B -> hold down L/R -> aerial to cancel up B -> gyro cancel to your heart's content.

I really hope that makes sense... I'm terrible at explaining things.

SxK

Karakuri Shogun mdl 00 "Burei"
You can also buffer the cancel like I do by holding down L/R while the down B is starting up, so you don't have to time it, since the timing is sorta tight. Fun fact: you can just hold down L/R in the air and press down B as many times as you want, and you'll always get the gyro cancel. It helps get those quick multiple turnarounds, and you can start holding L/R during up B to avoid having to airdodge to hold down L/R. So the input would be up B -> hold down L/R -> aerial to cancel up B -> gyro cancel to your heart's content.

I really hope that makes sense... I'm terrible at explaining things.
I neve knew that. This sounds pretty legit, I'll try and practice it next tome I play.

:phone:

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I don't use it, personally, because I usually don't miss wavebounce gyro cancels, but it was a fun little thing I found when I was learning how to gyro cancel.

SxK

I still miss the timing on that regularly.
However, I have found that setting y to shield and sliding from b to y is really easy. And it keeps you from getting grab released.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I've just gotten used to it because wavebouncing is like second nature to me now, and I just hold down L as soon as I hit down B and as soon as I see it cancel for me, I wavebounce the other way. I practiced it for hours when I learned it initially, lol.

But if the method I found helps you, then be my guest to use it. I can imagine it being much easier that way once you get used to it.

SxK

Yeah, I'm sure that once I practice it more and have better tech skill (looks at blazblue) then I'll be all set.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Street Fighter AE actually helped my Blazblue and Smash tech skill, believe it or not. My Platinum is pro now. (not really, but combos got easier)

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Indeed I do! I used to play Arakune/Tao, but I don't like how their playstyles changed. Plus Platinum reminds me of May, who I mained in Guilty Gear, so it was a obvious choice for me. I play a lot of characters in Blazblue though, tbh. Mu, Tsubaki, Noel, Makoto, Rachel... so basically the girl characters minus Litchi and Lambda, and the blob.

SxK

I tried playing Arakune for a long time, so hard Q_Q
Now I'm learning how to play Bang.
Coz, you know he is a ninja.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I could get his curse combos in CS1, but they're too fast for me in CS2. I've never been interested in playing Bang, he was such a dumb character in CS1. Wall bounce all day.

Funbun

Smash Cadet
How often do you guys use short hop fast fall aerials?

I see this in high-tempo games, usually mixing in a Bair or Fair, but I find this incredibly awkward to input into the controller. (Generally because I move my control stick to the left or right then immediately tap down. Sometimes it just doesn't happen. Maybe I'm timing it wrong?)

Do you guys implement the short hop fast fall (insert aerial here) into your attack routine mix-bag? This is the only move that I find especially difficult with ROB, especially since he's floatier than most other characters. Do you have any tips? Or should I just grind-practice it until it becomes natural for me?

I mean, other practical ATs are rather easy to do, but this one just doesn't click with me. I want to develop my ROB game to adapt to faster opponents, like Marth, and I feel this would be really helpful.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
I recently started doing SHFF aerials after looking to get my R.O.B. ready for real competitive play. I watched a bunch of Chibo's matches to make sure I knew what to use when, then practiced the timing on my own for about an hour before I had it down perfectly.
The way I input N-air is X + A at about the same time (not too difficult since it's the same thumb across both buttons), then FF as soon as possible. As for B-air, it's the same thing but I have the control stick angled so a b-air will come out. As soon as you've started the aerial you can move your thumb over to the C-Stick to follow up with a D-Smash or D-tilt, or just ready your thumbs for a F-tilt. In my experience, if you're playing against someone who doesn't know the R.O.B. MU very well, you can usually trap them with SHFF b-air > d-smash the first couple times you try it, but it gets old and predictable very fast.

tl;dr: Watch a bunch of matches to see how the high-level players use it.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Do we still have an even MU with Marth and Snake? I need to cover those MUs for G&W and Rob would be a good choice if those matchups are true at all.

Nintenpro

Smash Apprentice
ROB-Marth is even, and ROB-Snake is close to even (45-55 imo) but some ROBs say Snake MU is harder (but it always will be easier than GaW-Snake :awesome:)

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Yeah that's what I heard like a year ago. So Robs still beat Marths and Snakes then or where did you get this even thing?

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Most ROBs, from what I can recall, will say that it's definitely in Snake's favor (so my guess at least 40:60). I can see why they get that too, but deep down I feel it's still pretty even. I can elaborate later why because I'm about to get ready for a concert atm. The Snake MU is also one of my funnest MUs too :3

As for Marth, yeah, purddddy even.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Then I guess Rob is a nice choice against Marth and I can possible beat Snakes with G&W anyways when I somehow learn the MU.
What about diddy kong?

Top Bottom