• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

buenob

Smash Lord
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ34M-Bdo6k

that's a vid explaining sonics side/down b moves that my friend put up... really freaking useful...

a lot of sonics mindgames is that he is unpredictable in the fact that his moves look really similar... after watching that, I now have no problem dealing with sonics

M.K

Level 55
I have a quick question...

I can glide toss with relative ease, but I can only go forwards. How do I glide-toss my gyro TOWARDS the opponent but rolling AWAY from them?

M.K

Level 55
Roll with the Joy-Stick pushing away from the opponent and then C-Stick throw the gyro towards the opponent.
Oh, alright, sounds easy enough.
Is there a thread on this board that lets me get critique for videos of my ROB? I really want to know what I am doing right/wrong!

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
If you want to do that, just post in this thread, but if you really want attention, make a new thread, although I'm really recommending the first option, but the latter isn't too bad.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
1.) Don't play scrubby players
2.) Don't Dsmash so often, good players will get around it
3.) TILTS

e: oh yea 4.) Glide Toss

M.K

Level 55
XD He's not gonna be too happy to hear that. Admittedly he doesn't play Falcon much, but ****, I'm playing to win!

Sounds good. I usually try to spot dodge-->D-Smash, but I realize that it's situational at best.

3.) TILTS
I try!
So let me get this straight....FTilt is for spacing, DTilt is for tripping/trapping, and UTilt is for juggling?

I usually do, but I guess I didn't in those matches :dizzy:

streetracr77

Smash Journeyman
3.) TILTS

=(
He was playing me.
My Captain Falcon = crap.
Unfortunately, those were the only matches we had of his Rob playing.

A tip for MK:
Use more tilts!

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Use nair too as a killing move, Falcon should not live to 220%. Perfect the timing for it and its a great move. Either that or you need to save one of your other killing moves to get the job done, I think fsmash is an easy one to save.

More lasers too.

emergency

Smash Journeyman
I went to my first big tourney and got destroyed by a MK. v_v

But everything else went pretty well.

I also got destroyed by a Ness. v_v

Help.

buenob

Smash Lord
ness is really gimpable, and rob is great at gimping, so try to force him off the edge, then he has a _really_ hard time... if you don't just kill him, he'll take a lot of damage

when he's recovering from far away, top/laser is the best... as soon as he's close and under the stage just drop down and stay above him, his thunder will hit you and he will die.. it's worth the damage :)

as for MK, he's got a lot of good moves, but if he can't set himself up to use them, they're useless... if you can properly space a MK, they generally default to whornadoing to get in... not only can you hit him with your kill moves through it, it's easily shielded and punishable...

that said, you _really_ have to know how the tornado works and be comfortable with what you can/can't do around it or you're gonna get bent over

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I small piece of advice: If you playing MK turn off tap jump. It's not too important, but if you're DIing out of MKs nado, you might end up double-jumping by accident setting youself up for another move and stripping you of the ability to punish his nado.

Sudai

Stuff here
You were in hitstun when you executed the DAir. Any move that would normally alter your momentum when used won't alter your momentum if it's used during hitstun.

_Kadaj_

Smash Hero
Throw that P***y at me? B***h I think Im Babe Ruth
Re: me.

Sad.

But true.

I'm trying to play Kadaj as often as possible and only recently has it paid off...usually I'll be mad stressed from work and then I'll head over there expecting to let off some steam and have fun getting better and working on my ROB...but then he starts having "fun" and talking **** and while it's all jokes, I'll be honest: he has a very obnoxious way of wording that he doesn't even realize it gets under peoples skin...so for the longest time, I'd play him [and he'd be the ONLY good person I had to play :(] but I'd get so frustrated with him that the fact that he's REALLY good didn't help either...that was the last thing I needed after all that bull**** stress I deal with at work.

but lately, he's toned it down, and I've finally been able to enjoy it and improve :) I still have relatively VERY little high-level tournament experience, so my mindset isn't always as focused as it needs to be, and then I go into auto-pilot-squander mode and I don't play as well/intelligently as I know I can.

*shakes fist of envy at JCaesar for living in such a **** area*

*shakes fist of anger at SoVa for being such a SHlTTY area overall*
i love you toasty!!!! :)

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
I'm still not used to being considered good at all.
lol. You offer some of the bet advice on ROB, why wouldn't you be considered good?

I may make a list of my own opinions on the matchups soon, but I gotta warn you, some of mine are pretty different from the general consensus.
I would appreciate that JCaez, so far a lot of the things you have said in other threads have benefited me, so I value your opinion. Good ****.

Plus I'm desperate for any and all advice on matchups, as there is an obscenely large number of characters whom I have yet to really play against.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar

Teh Future

Smash Master
Hey guys do you want to clear up some of this snake nonsense? Honestly I keep seeing people say ROB is a Snake counter but seriously, I played a snake the other day and got 2-0'd in a tourney set that we played. It seems like people say you can just out camp him but when I hit him with five lasers and a gyro and he hits me with two grenades, Im at a higher percent than him LOL. I was pretty much matching him blow for blow but snakes just got too much power so I died way before he did with ROBs killing problems + snakes BS wieght I dont understand how anyone puts this as ROBs got an advantage.

buenob

Smash Lord
right, so i think the major problem is snake is a beast, and if you go blow for blow with him you will get *****... lol... snake lives to ridiculous percentages when played properly too, so robs lack of KO moves doesn't help either

where rob DOES shine is that if you play a ranged game properly, snake has nothing on him... if snake is holding a grenade you can shoot him and it will explode (you have to hit the grenade) and he'll take a tonne of damage... learning how to avoid grenades is also key since it's easy to nade-spam with snake

on the level both rob and snake are pretty even... they both have good moves to get the other person away in close combat, and they both like to control the match, but where rob is _way_ better than snake is off the ledge

once snake is off the ledge, he shouldn't get back onto the ledge unless he's at KO percentages and has recovered high off the screen... the top or strong lazer will break him out of his up-b, same with a good fair, uair racks up damage and snake will go nowhere so you can follow it up with robs booster and chase him more, and of course nair/bair is great too

snake at lower percents can easily be gimped by rob... a couple good fairs and then when he's below you it's pretty easy to hit him with the dair spike... the snake/rob matchup is all about keeping snake off the level and killing him that way

a lot of snakes tricks rely on his opponent wading in through the grenades to attack, only to be aaa combo'd or ftilted if they space their approach wrong, and rob can just sit back and laser, but that assumes you know how to deal with his grenades in the first place

Teh Future

Smash Master
"if snake is holding a grenade you can shoot him and it will explode (you have to hit the grenade) and he'll take a tonne of damage... learning how to avoid grenades is also key since it's easy to nade-spam with snake"

Yeah thats what I thought but every time I tried to do this... he dropped the grenade... Result? he gets hit by my laser or manages to powershield it. Then he picks up the grenade and throws it at me, and it explodes with like perfect timing. Ive never seen anyone do that before but it worked retardedly good and it was really frustrating me.

People always act like gimping is a big part of brawl, but it seems to me thats its really not. When youre facing a person who knows what they're doing they know how to recover with their chatacter and with most of the cast it makes them nearly ungimpable. idk maybe im just bad at gimping people, but I dont really think thats the case

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
getting snake off the stage is the hard part--it could take a while if the player is smart. once he's off, things become much easier, and start tasting like cake.

which kind? iunno. what flavor do you like?

I prefer cheesecake.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
If he's dropping the nade when you laser him, just aim at his feet.

"Counter" is a bit strong but I'm confident that ROB has the advantage. Just don't get close to him. You really don't have to. If he approaches, your ftilt outranges everything he can do. If it's a shield-happy Snake (which most are) just grab a lot. I dunno the exact %s where it's guaranteed, but dthrow->uair works very nicely in this matchup and racks crazy damage. And whenever you get the opportunity, toss him off the edge. Snake is one of the easier characters to gimp.

Snake is cake.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Ya I find Snake pretty easy to beat, especially if you can get under him like JCeaser said. Dthrow is really nice because Snake is weakest when attacked from below (landing more than one or two hits from Snakes dair is tough) and ROB has utilt uair and usmash to punish people above him.

buenob

Smash Lord
maxxx your love of the robot is contagious, i definitely pleasure my buddy every night... and the best kind of cake isn't even cake.. it's pumpkin pie

and well, snake easy to beat? try playing Ally... there's nothing easy about snake, but rob definitely has at least an even matchup with him... if you go into the match with the mindset of getting him off the edge and racking up damage // spiking, you've at least got a good gameplan... next is just mindgames into getting him there

edit - while snake does have a weakspot below, his dair attack has way more range than you think it does and comes out pretty quickly, so watch out for that... also, if you're far enough below that you'd have to dj to reach him, his bair comes out too quick for you to react when he fast falls it, and he's also got the C4 tricks... personally, i find a well timed nair can catch him, but you definitely have to mix up your attacks when snake is well above you... oh yeah, a lot of top snakes now are using the nikita to cover their descent... watch out for that, because going blow for blow with snake's explosions isn't a good option

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
Only when you're dashing under a platform that you know your opponent is going to have to land on. The fact that it won't hit anything right next to you makes it pretty bad in the first place.

Then again, I seem to have terrible luck against some of the other ROBs here... They get me with Upsmash or dacus way more than they should

buenob

Smash Lord
i find the difference between a running usmash and the dacus is minimal, and really isn't worth it... now glid-toss to usmash >: )

usmash is basically there for when you make them forget you have it, or after a dash-attack hits when they're at medium percents

buenob

Smash Lord
lol my teams partner plays GAW with me, but he's a yoshi main at heart... I fear that tongue like no-ones business...

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
If he approaches, your ftilt outranges everything he can do.
LOL @ you pretending like you ever use physical attacks XD

<3

but for real...you gotta be careful, because ftilt WILL beat whatever he could throw at you...but you'll get wrecked if you're predictable about it because all he has to do is wait, powershield the ftilt, and then ftilt combo you. Actually, eff the predictability thing. He really just have to stand just in range of your ftilt and wait...he'll even hold a grenade. If he's good at powershielding [most good players are in general], he doesn't have to do anything but wait. Whatever choice you make, he's got a viable/safe option.

Snake only loses up close if he makes the first move.

Now....as for camping him? lmao enjoy...it's good times ^_^

I say it's even.

Top Bottom