• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

ganonspike

Smash Rookie
Yeah my first post! Ok i was watching some combo vids on youtube and I noticed a kinda simultaneous gyro throw wavedash. Could anyone tell me what this is called and how to do it?

Sudai

Stuff here
FYI, it can be done with any item in hand. (Gyro, Bombs, Grenades [not recommended], Turnips, Bananas, ZSS' armor pieces, or anything that spawns from the in game items that you can hold and throw.)

ipitydatfu

Smash Master
lol

i practiced catching and glidetossing with Bob-ombs. was really great practice

oh and ganonspike, the pint of this thread is to literally read it first before asking that kind of question

buenob

Smash Lord
lol 182 pages of @#$^ to wade through is kinda hard, especially for a newcomer who doesn't exactly know where info is...

now he knows :)

ps. I just realized when/where to incorporate ftilts into my game :) no one will care but i felt like sharing my breakthrough :D

emergency

Smash Journeyman
Question!

What attacks outrange Pit's Angel Ring?

I asked Sudai and he said the Forward Smash can outrange it. But that's all he could think of at the time. Any input?

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Well, it's fairly disjointed and flat-out clanks with most attacks that can't hit through to Pit himself. If FSmash isn't the only option, it's certainly the best option still.

Sudai

Stuff here
The problem with FTilt is I don't think it's disjointed enough to make it all the way through the Angel Ring. Only reason I said FSmash over FTilt. Speed shouldn't be an issue because there's a lolot of lag when he cancels it.

NAir and BAir would also work, but at low percents FSmash would set-up for a string. (Credit goes to NL for this one since I saw him do it a crew battle vid against a GnW [so it's gonna work on other people cause that ***** is light]. FSmash > DTilt > FTilt at really low percents. It works.)

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
FSmash > DTilt > FTilt at really low percents. It works.)
whaaaaaa...

also, a reminder at low percents [best used at the edge against someone gimpable :)]
dtilt->dash attack-> fsmash [that's only if they DI the dash attack away from you, and anyone with experience against ROBs who do dtilt/dashattack/utilt-or-smash will DI away from you]

stingers

Smash Obsessed
dtilt -> ftilt is confirmed (right? i've never missed with it)

dash attack -> fsmash isn't

so it'd be silly to call it a combo.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Well, generally you get a few of these situations:

Dash attack -> Fsmash if they DI away from you and you 'tip' them
Dash attack -> Fair if they DI into or up from ROB and you 'tip them
Dash attack -> Multiple Utilts if the DI into or above you and you hit them with your 'body'

Of course, it matters where you hit too. If you hit on the tip of his 'hands' he naturally goes away from you, and he goes up if you hit him in ROB's 'body'.

I'm not sure, but can someone confirm or reject this: If you dash attack at low-medium percents with ROB's 'body', is it a free Utilt?

Sudai

Stuff here
It's all DI based, Gw.

Stingers, I looked and 90% confident no one called it a combo.

I imagine DTilt > FTilt is escapable via SDI+Powershield if it's not escapable normally. It's just really fast. : )

toasty

Smash Hero
dtilt -> ftilt is confirmed (right? i've never missed with it)

dash attack -> fsmash isn't

so it'd be silly to call it a combo.
you're right. it would be silly. good thing no one did. and good thing that it was already said that it was based on DI :)

But anyway...basic question:
a Marth SH-fairs you and does a retreating 2nd fair as he's landing. Some people, in a pressured situation, will feel attacks hitting their shield and upon instinct, they'll wanna grab, even though Marth did a retreating fair which put him out of grab range. You whiff the grab, you eat a tipper, Marth's rejoice and your blood boils.

Good times.

Oh right, basic question:
After shielding both fairs, do you have enough time, keeping shieldstun from the fairs in consideration, to ftilt out of shield before getting hit by the fsmash? Because you only have a few options, otherwise:
-spot dodge; Marth is just waiting for you anyway, so if you don't grab, he'll see you spot dodge, and THEN he'll fsmash you
-roll away; again, Marth is just waiting for you to act after the fairs, so he's fast enough to capitalize on your roll [...maybe not always, I don't know, this might be the best option, my mind's kinda fuzzy right now]
-oh wait! here's a decent option: jump/airdodge away out of shield? or retreating projectiles?

Thoughts?

Sudai

Stuff here
I tend to do a retreating projectile in this scenario. I've had too many FTilts shielded into a dancing blade to do anything different.

As you said, they'll be waiting so spot-dodge is bad.

As for a roll, why roll when a retreating aerial is oh so much safer?

toasty

Smash Hero
I'm just listing typical things instincts may make some players do. Not necessarily me.

But yeah I'll stick to the projectile thing, it seems to work best.

Also...for all the *****-ing and moaning we do about Marth's upB.....why don't we just bait it from now on?
I started to and it's wonderful. All those times where my punishing got interrupted by upB, why don't I just run up, pretend like I'm going to punish, and then shield while he upBs and gets wrecked for it?

AlsoAlso: has anyone else experienced Marth's invulnerability frames AFTER he lands from his upB??? There have been way too many wtf moments for me when trying to punish that...I can't remember if it's been discussed or not, but it's definitely ********.

LOLL Stingers you get a cookie for that reference. That cartoon was so awful and awesome ^_^

Sudai

Stuff here
LOL, I was actually listening to Wacko's 50 states song earlier today. <3<3<3

As for the Marth thing. I thought people -were- baiting his Up-B already? It's the same as an airdodge, imo, except more punishable...and ****ing hurt you too... : (

The problem is, you can't react to an Up-B and after a while of trying to punish them, they catch on and it just becomes mind games.

As for the landing invulnerability, I know exactly what you're talking about, but I think it's just that his hurtbox gets -really- small for no reason.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
some good stuff there (in vid and post) but seriously Pierce isn't that great...in this vid anyway. I know he's gotta rep on the Marth boards and maybe in...what, NY? either NY or NJ, can't remember. anyway. I'd love to see a vid of them when Pierce gets good at the matchup (and just better in general....) because there are, at first glance anyway, a lot of holes in his way of playing against ROB. [o_O @ lack of side-B even though the occasional spam of it CAN get you shieldgrabbed, it's useful in most situations, esp against ROB. and he also needs to learn how to defend the edge [from the stage] when ROB's on the ledge] of course it was a friendly, but stillll

Not knockin NL of course, good spacing and timing as usual. I need to become more familiar with the reverse hitbox of fair.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM0L9Z6GITQ (That is apparently some good Marth player I've never heard of)

There is all the Marth stuff I know. Cuz I can't beat Dr. PP for ****. x_X
Dude ur not supposed to repost stuff in back rooms. Take off my quote plz.

some good stuff there (in vid and post) but seriously Pierce isn't that great...in this vid anyway. I know he's gotta rep on the Marth boards and maybe in...what, NY? either NY or NJ, can't remember. anyway. I'd love to see a vid of them when Pierce gets good at the matchup (and just better in general....) because there are, at first glance anyway, a lot of holes in his way of playing against ROB. [o_O @ lack of side-B even though the occasional spam of it CAN get you shieldgrabbed, it's useful in most situations, esp against ROB. and he also needs to learn how to defend the edge [from the stage] when ROB's on the ledge] of course it was a friendly, but stillll

Not knockin NL of course, good spacing and timing as usual. I need to become more familiar with the reverse hitbox of fair.
Pierce is good. I just kno the matchup better.

emergency

Smash Journeyman
Question!

What outprioritizes a glide attacks (Pit's if you want details) ?

I am just zipping along trying to find good options.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Glide Attack clanks with pretty much everything, even aerials. Best way to beat it is to throw out an attack early, forcing them to eat the attack or clank above ground level while you punish the landing. Or roll behind them as they're flying down.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
i have a quick question for the rob players. Does the laser always push you in the direction the laser is moving, like hypothetically shooting it straight up, would the person go straight up too. Or is it set to a left and right only (example being how pits arrows always pull people up, regardless of direction of the arrow). Because if it follows the lasers path, and since the laser can bounce off at a certain angle. Then would it be possible to weak spike someone with robs fully charge laser, on lets say BF. I know for a fact that if u shoot at a downward angle at the slanted ledge, his laser will go straight down. And as many of u know, there are many times when ur opponent is just below the ledge, attempting to recover.

Has anyone tried to spike someone with ROBs laser. I mean sure there are other ways, better ways to spike them. But can you imagine the look on their face when u spike them with ROBs laser. Oh it would be so much fun. lol.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
i have a quick question for the rob players. Does the laser always push you in the direction the laser is moving, like hypothetically shooting it straight up, would the person go straight up too. Or is it set to a left and right only (example being how pits arrows always pull people up, regardless of direction of the arrow). Because if it follows the lasers path, and since the laser can bounce off at a certain angle. Then would it be possible to weak spike someone with robs fully charge laser, on lets say BF. I know for a fact that if u shoot at a downward angle at the slanted ledge, his laser will go straight down. And as many of u know, there are many times when ur opponent is just below the ledge, attempting to recover.

Has anyone tried to spike someone with ROBs laser. I mean sure there are other ways, better ways to spike them. But can you imagine the look on their face when u spike them with ROBs laser. Oh it would be so much fun. lol.
The direction you fire it does not matter. You'll always go in the same direction, which is either a small stun with like no knockback (uncharged lazer) or up and away (charged lazer). And like Waffles said, it can stage spike, but that's only with a charged lazer.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
aww thats too bad. that would be pretty funny if it did follow the path of the laser.

emergency

Smash Journeyman
Question!

I know in OS' guide for ROB, (Which is somewhat not updated.) What stages should ROB watch out for in general?

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Norfair and Brinstar are probably his worst of the ones that are currently legal in MD/VA. There's probably some other silly stages in other places that he sucks on.

Jamnt0ast

Smash Journeyman
Really JCaesar? I find brinstar to be one of ROB's best stages! You can float under the stage, control it from afar with use of separating the main platform, your gyro creates a bouncing wall when you drop it on the energy tanks. And on the vines you can extend your hitboxes to completely outlast any spot dodge. Use the stage to your advantage, dont look at it as a poor stage just because gimping is more difficult. It is however, matchup dependent. I would pick brinstar vs..... Metaknight, GnW, Dedede for sure, anyone who has an ungimpable recovery or really likes ground movement. Brinstar can shut them down.

Top Bottom