• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I didn't say ROB was Snake's worst matchup, just worse than MK.

And Mr. E's probably right about the lower tiers too, but does that really matter? Low tiers just don't play a significant role in tournament play. Not to the point where you would need to consider picking up a secondary.

But for the record, I think ROB wrecks Ike, Sonic, and Yoshi worse than MK does. Maybe Ness too.

Jamnt0ast

Smash Journeyman
jj-
1. I dont know much about ZSS, but with lucas you want to stay in close when you are at low % and camp when you are at high%. You will be able to get quick damage on lucas up close and he cant do any of his wavebounce crap if you are dtilting through his pants. However, once you reach 100%, lucas' retardedly fast and powerful fsmash WILL KILL YOU. so stay away and space with projectiles / fair. Kill with nair when lucas trys to approach you.

2. GnW and MK are ROB's best team partners. Marth is pretty good too.

Ich Bin Awesome

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys have a xat chat? I'm trying to make a universal xat room that is tabbed to all individual character xats with each main owner becoming an owner in this room as well.

To do it the main owner has to tab xat.com/Wifi_Room
(Go to "Edit your Chat", type in Wifi_Room, click get, select it, OK)

So far the Link, Mario, Pit, and Pikachu xats are connected.

jjvirus

Smash Champion
xat.com/RoboticUnion

Im the main owner,I'll be at my moms house tonight that has my xat account thats labled as main owner on the rob chat.

@Jamn: wow if only I knew that saturday XD Thanks lol

Vorguen

Smash Champion
1.I need help with the Lucas and Zss matchup, anyone willing to help?

2. R.O.B.'s best and worst partners for doubles play?
Lucas is pretty easy. Make sure he NEVER absorbs your laser. Try to bait him into popping his absorber (throw a laser into the air or miss him on purpose, and make sure he thinks you are shooting one again)

When he pops his absorber show him what a fully charged gyro feels like. :)

And stay away from his U-smash. Don't roll when you are around him. Rolling is bad to begin with, and if you roll behind him his U-smash will annihilate you.

As for ZSS this is a tough match for ROB, but not impossible. Watch out for her armor pieces at the beggining, do your best to grab them and use them on her or get rid of them fast. She can combo very well and ROB just happens to be one of the easier characters to combo. Don't fight in the air, she is FAST and has a very good aerial game, better than yours. Keep the fight in the distance, because up close she can keep very good pressure on you. Don't get hit by her stun laser either, >.>

As for doubles play, I don't really know, except that R.O.B. is amazing in doubles. Maybe find someone who likes to fight up close and personal, so you can help him with some spam from behind. Seems to work for me in casual friendlies.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
*facepalm* There is no middle laser. Just a weak and a strong (and the one that doesn't fire at all but I assume you're not talking about shooting Lucas with that).

Further proof that even though he is a great ROB player, Nacker is an idiot.

Hey_Its_Nacker

Smash Lord
you KNOW exactly what im talking about douche !

There are 3 different sizes when shot unless im blind / ******** and you dont want to be known as the guy who lost to a ****** do you lol ?

10kanackers

edit: I beat you 10 times in a row the other day . . . that is all .

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
It was more like 5 >_>

And no, I don't know what you're talking about. There are only 2 charge levels of the laser, not counting the one that doesn't fire.

I guess I lost to a ******.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
Why is Overswarm's avatar so awesome?

K-pax Kevin Spacey :D

Real Question: If Marth is so bad offstage against ROB, and its SO HARD to keep ROB in the air with Marth seeing as ROB can just go offstage, why is the matchup 50-50?

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
and its SO HARD to keep ROB in the air with Marth
*head a'splode*

that's one of Marth's strongest points in the matchup, along with edge guarding.

Also. ROB cannot just go off stage, eventually he will run out of fuel or be put in a situation where he can get edge guarded until he's KO'ed or out of fuel.

Not saying this always happens, I'm just saying it's something top Marth players are capable of doing.

Sudai

Stuff here
Real Question: If Marth is so bad offstage against ROB, and its SO HARD to keep ROB in the air with Marth seeing as ROB can just go offstage, why is the matchup 50-50?
Both characters are bad off stage vs each other. Just depends on who's closest to the stage, really.

It's not hard to keep ROB in the air at all. Blind spot below? Just be smart and don't commit early.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
What kill moves do you guys save, if any? Or can you un-stale your kill moves with...say...fairs, ftilts, or dtilts?

Sudai

Stuff here
NAir or BAir depending on the match-up.

You can destale moves, but it's a pain to do it some times and generally better to just stop using your preferred kill move after the opponent gets to a specific percent or not at all till they get to a kill percent.

Egitor

Smash Cadet
I've tried saving for KOs:

Nair. Failed miserably since I need it to not be juggled in the air consistently.
Bair. Failed because I use it far too often to edgeguard or R.O.B.-rocket somebody (like, a forward-striking Bair, I love how it looks)
Fsmash. Failed because I still suck at tilts, sometimes I actually smash when I mean to Ftilt -.-
Usmash. It is a powerful though highly situational move in my eyes. As OS once posted, it's one of the easiest moves to read in the game. The only time I've actually surprised and KOd somebody with this was in an item-enabled game with bunny ears... Weeeeeeeee-Bam!

So for now I don't save moves for KO at all. I'm practising myself on being aware of the 'stale moves' list at all times now so I can properly vary the moves I use depending on the situation. The only moves that get real stale for me are Fair, Dsmash and Lazer anyway. The rest is not on the stale list more than once often.

The ones to try if you want to save a move though, are the top ones listed. If you believe one of the neighbours here who I recently discovered plays Brawl, you can save Uthrow for good kill potential too but what the hell?

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
laser and gyro refreshs moves. Only gyros u shoot out, not the ones u pick up and throw. Just do jabs, tilts and pummels.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Yeah, the best way to recharge your moves is probably to just grab and pummel until they release. Or keep camping.

btw, uthrow is a terrible killing move. Even on MK it doesn't kill till like 150%. It's more of a last resort.

I've really been liking fsmash as a kill move in certain matchups recently. If you know someone is gonna airdodge to the ground near you (Snakes do this all the time), just charge a fsmash and release when they hit the ground.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Doesn't really matter that UThrow is a terrible killing move. I mean hey, it's there if you have to use it. It should also never be stale, since UThrow is absolutely useless except for a late kill. Be glad ROB even has a killing throw, Diddy would love to be able to kill off the top with a throw at 170%. :p

laser and gyro refreshs moves. Only gyros u shoot out, not the ones u pick up and throw. Just do jabs, tilts and pummels.
That's not true. Thrown items, including the Gyro, count as one attack in the stale moves queue for each successful hit.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Mr. E did a huge test on all this stuff a while ago, I believe him. The thread is somewhere on the ROB boards.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
maybe for rob. Someone mentioned diddy only refreshs if u get hit with the banana pull not the banana itself. Meh idk.

blddrake44

Smash Rookie
I've seen people dash and then UpB toward a falling target. When they UpB, they're direction is reversed, but they're momentum is not. When I try to do it, my momentum turns around.

I've been told that it's the timing of pressing the opposite direction that determines the direction of the momentum.

Is that right?

Egitor

Smash Cadet
Good day fine gentlemen, how do you do?(I'm doing dandy myself, I hope you are, too!)
I'm good, thanks!

And drake, yes, it is the timing indeed. I got it wrong a lot at first too. You don't have to mash it in as quickly as you'd think from seeing the manoeuvre. Try to delay your input a little, that's how I got it.

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
I think its been covered before, but Im not going to search in 192 pages... >_>

well where I live, the only tournaments I can find are the ones in anime conventions... usually the only stage that is chosen is FD. last time I had to finght against a diddy that spams banana combos. got beat bad... is it possible to beat it? if not then what would be a good counter? besides ROB I main DDD, Falco, and Olimar (not much practice with him though...) can they cover me against other characters if the only stage is FD?

Sudai

Stuff here
It's completely impossible to beat. No one, anywhere, can beat a diddy of FD.

Are you camping the **** out of him while he has bananas out and properly zoning him when he doesn't have them out so he can't get them out? If you answered no to either of these questions, read through all 192 pages of this thread. If you answered yes to both, read through this thread anyway. It'll serve you well. Promise.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Wow Sudai, scary as always.

Zeph, if you can play Falco well, Falco ***** Diddy, especially on FD.
LOL QFT.

Watch this video, if you are good at Falco or want to know in general what is going on. It's the first random Falco vs Diddy video I found browsing around. Be glad I'm bored and doing your job for you. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHpOuKHfUOk

Top Bottom