• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

Egitor

Smash Cadet
I realize that. Chozen though, unlike you, is a R.O.B. abandoner and therefore fails. That leaves the foundation of this thread to be your diminished trolling!

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
ahahaha, I like this guy!

Your training regimen sounds fine to me. Glidetossing is the single most important AT to learn, and playing against live people is the best practice, especially people who are better than you.

Oh and if you get bored, I suggest reading through the video thread as well. Most of it is a bit more off-topic but there is also some good advice buried in there.

Egitor

Smash Cadet
I must say it's quite odd, I have the feeling I know some of you pretty well after reading hundreds of your posts, though you all have never heard of me before!
Random...

Video thread sounds like a good idea, yeah, I already checked out a bunch of those video's (especially since many were already posted here) and read through OS' stickied guide on these forums so I'm well under way of taking in all the info here!

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
It takes crazy dedication for sure.

Egitor if you ever wanna just chat with us, Sudai, ipitydatfu, and I are frequently on the ROB chat (http://xat.com/RoboticUnion), and lately Nacker and Mr. E (who is friggin hilarious btw) have been on a lot too.

Egitor

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, got a question!

I currently play with Wiimote + nunchuck, which clearly has it's drawbacks. My button configuration is standard, except that I have turned tap-jumping off (reasons: up+B control and easier time short-hopping for me). I've sat down yesterday and done some glide-tossing in training mode and after that with some CPU's to see if I could easily incorporate it into my game after I mastered the move.

I tried a hundred times but I couldn't get it into my finger's to glide and throw upwards. I'm fairly sure it's possible even with a wiimote but so far I'm not managing it.

I'm fairly sure I'm nowhere near tournament level in my game (yet) but it made me wonder whether I should get myself a GameCube controller in order to properly execute this technique.

What are your thoughts on this?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
You are technically able to do this, but it'll take twice the practice it takes us using a GCN controller. Just make sure you press Z+> or < Then immediately rotate Up and do ^+A. Again, that's very hard on the Wii + Nunchuk setup, but that's how you do it upwards.

Sudai

Stuff here
Alternately, you could set your DPad to smashes and use that.

If you need to talk to someone about WiiMote-Nunchuck set-up, I suggest trying to contact Ultimate Razer. He's the only person I know of that uses that set-up and places well in tournies.

basilioyugi

Smash Cadet
which player can i use, i main olimar and my secondaries are ROB
i find playing rob vs rob a very frustrating match , rob pwn olimar

what player can i use, i got a normal king dedede and i have alot of free time by now, what character is good against rob, or which are rob hardest matches

btw king D3 is in my dp because i like him but playing with him i dont know if its effective against rob

Sudai

Stuff here
On a n00b level, ROB ***** Oli.

On a medium level, Oli ***** ROB.

On a pro level, it's actually close to even.

It's ********. : (

basilioyugi, just pick up MK or learn the match-up vs ROB as Olimar.

Egitor

Smash Cadet
Plenty of info on Olimar vs R.O.B. in this thread, too. It's been discussed at least five times!

Sudai, you get a muffin for the dpad tip! You have just eliminated my two control problems (more control in the air while doing aerials and glide-tossing up and down) in one go, kudos!

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I find that the better both players are, the more the matchup tips in favor of Olimar. He just gets better and better and camping and becomes virtually impossible to approach. It sucks :(

Deadweight

Smash Ace
Ok, I am having the hardest time landing KO moves on people, I got the camping game down **** near perfect...but yesterday at a practice tourney each match i would get the opponent to 100+ percents, and then id lose all momentum entirely, I've been trying to be more patient this tourney, and not go aggressive for kills, and just look for openings to punish... and although it sounds good in theory I just can't seem to capitalize quick enough. A friend of mine suggested a glide toss down -> upsmash was a good kill move, but I haven't tested it yet and I was wondering if there is anything else i should be trying.
Thnx in advance
~Dedw8

Egitor

Smash Cadet
I tend to just get people off the stage and edgeguard, no matter at how high % they are. Just gets easier to knock them off and keep them off, later...

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Hey guys, got a question!

I currently play with Wiimote + nunchuck, which clearly has it's drawbacks. My button configuration is standard, except that I have turned tap-jumping off (reasons: up+B control and easier time short-hopping for me). I've sat down yesterday and done some glide-tossing in training mode and after that with some CPU's to see if I could easily incorporate it into my game after I mastered the move.

I tried a hundred times but I couldn't get it into my finger's to glide and throw upwards. I'm fairly sure it's possible even with a wiimote but so far I'm not managing it.

I'm fairly sure I'm nowhere near tournament level in my game (yet) but it made me wonder whether I should get myself a GameCube controller in order to properly execute this technique.

What are your thoughts on this?

Get a gamecube controller, just because it is overall way better.

And there is no such thing as not being tournament level, heck, getting last place is a level in a tournament. ;)

Don't get discouraged from going to a tournament just because you think you don't stand a chance. They are a lot of fun, you learn a LOT, meet many good smashers, and your skill really does go through the roof. It's the best place to get better.

Sudai

Stuff here
If you're comfortable with the WiiChuck, keep using it. It's not impossible to do well with it, it's just a matter of finding a control scheme you like and getting used to it. I've seen people do well with every controller (except for Stand-Alone Wiimote..that's just bad). If you came from high level Melee, 98% chance GCC is the way to go, but for people that are fresh to smash, or are just coming into the competitive scene, any controller works. IT'S ALL COMFORT!!!

Egitor

Smash Cadet
Had a chance to play a friend of mine (Fox main) yesterday, took all the advice with me and beat the **** out of him ;)
Thanks for the tip guys, I'm visually improving!

Guilhe

Smash Ace
I’m looking for basic information on R.O.B. Robo-Burner. How many times you can interrupt it, getting hit while performing it makes it lose fuel?

Sudai

Stuff here
Can cancel it as much as you want, even when you're out of fuel.

Getting hit does not reduce your fuel amount.

Oddly enough, I don't think we actually covered either of those in this thread. O.o

Deadweight

Smash Ace
Ok, I am having the hardest time landing KO moves on people, I got the camping game down **** near perfect...but yesterday at a practice tourney each match i would get the opponent to 100+ percents, and then id lose all momentum entirely, I've been trying to be more patient this tourney, and not go aggressive for kills, and just look for openings to punish... and although it sounds good in theory I just can't seem to capitalize quick enough. A friend of mine suggested a glide toss down -> upsmash was a good kill move, but I haven't tested it yet and I was wondering if there is anything else i should be trying.
Thnx in advance
~Dedw8
^ Can i get more help with this plx

Egitor

Smash Cadet
Can cancel it as much as you want, even when you're out of fuel.

Getting hit does not reduce your fuel amount.

Oddly enough, I don't think we actually covered either of those in this thread. O.o
Nope, wasn't covered before. Good information though.
I would certainly not recommend getting hit though, since you don't get fuel back (where other characters do get their up+B back after being hit). That and not being able to air-dodge are the weaknesses behind R.O.B.'s incredible recovery.

^ Can i get more help with this plx
I've gotten two types of KOing down. First and for me easiest is edge-guarding. Both forward and back throws cover a lot of ground, meaning you can use those to easily toss an opponent off the stage and start edge-guarding.

The second is maybe a bit easier to do in coexistence with camping. Basically you don't use one of the 'potential' kill moves at all until your opponent is at a high percentage so you can easily KO. For example you could save up your forward smash and use that to KO after camping him to 150%.

I personally prefer the first method since it's a lot easier to keep the pressure up that way, thus keeping the pace of the match to yourself.

LOL I laughed so hard you almost made me drop the LASAGNE on my lap.
Fixed.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Snake is the only one. Which makes ROB a good secondary to MK since Snake is MK's only somewhat tough matchup.

It's kind of a slap in the face to us though since any ROB main worth his salt hates MK with a passion...

Jamnt0ast

Smash Journeyman
would it be appropriate to post a picture of myself next to a snow sculpture or ROB that I made? Or is this considered "off topic" for the ROB boards.

Sudai

Stuff here
I think I've seen it as well, I could be wrong though.

It'd be off topic here though and I don't wanna get in trouble for not modding people that need to be modded...so..go make a thread for ROB related pictures? : D

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I think it'd be semi-appropriate in the video thread... they're just moving pictures after all.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Not that it matters, but ROB also probably has some more favorable low-tier matches than MK due to his weight and projectile camping ability. Snake's just the only upper-tier character, maybe Diddy as well. :p

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Snake is the only one. Which makes ROB a good secondary to MK since Snake is MK's only somewhat tough matchup.

It's kind of a slap in the face to us though since any ROB main worth his salt hates MK with a passion...
As Snake my hardest matchup is actually DDD, then ROB, then Meta Knight. It might be me just alone since ROB is my alternate that I find DDD to be harder as Snake than ROB.

Not that it matters, but ROB also probably has some more favorable low-tier matches than MK due to his weight and projectile camping ability. Snake's just the only upper-tier character, maybe Diddy as well. :p
I think ROB has a better matchup against Falco then Meta Knight as well. I would say Meta Knight's fight on Falco is even, somewhat around 55/45 on Meta Knight's favor or even a flat 50/50... and ROB's matchup on Falco to be 60/40, although it takes a little bit more know-how on ROB's part vs a Falco. A Falco can be a bit tougher for ROB if you don't master the matchup, but I think once you know exactly what you are doing it keeps tilting in ROB's favor more and more.

Top Bottom