• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Robin Needs Some Serious Buffs ASAP

On a scale of one to 10 (with 10 being the highest.), how dumb to you think I am?

• Total voters

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
[collapse=Issues]
Firewall exists, you know. Apparently that's good.[/collapse]
Ehh...Fire Wall and Arcfire have differences beyond one being faster than the other. Arcfire, for example, can trap the opponent and activates in the air while Fire Wall is...well...a wall.
[collapse=Issues]
tbh I've always felt that Robin's aerial game is pretty good. LSUair and Nair are great tools that you are probably underutilizing. Also, tomahawking exists[/collapse]
I think he's more talking about landing, which Robin is pretty bad at. It's better with stages that have platforms, though.
[collapse=Issues]
Anyone reading this, can you link me to a YT video of a Robin using Firewall effectively? I've never been good at it[/collapse]
Check with @ Raziek Raziek , I think he has some tips.

Last edited:

Casey Chase

Undine~
3DS FC
1521-4138-1029
Ehh...Fire Wall and Arcfire have differences beyond one being faster than the other. Arcfire, for example, can trap the opponent and activates in the air while Fire Wall is...well...a wall.
tfw trying to be sassy but you get taken seriously and demolished. Shows how much I know about Robin customs lmao
I think he's more talking about landing, which Robin is pretty bad at. It's better with stages that have platforms, though.
Our interpretations are so different. When I saw "Give him something besides nosferatuing someone sheilding while bodying you." I think of trying to attack on shield, not landing. You might be right though.

Thegreenblur

Smash Cadet
. When I saw "Give him something besides nosferatuing someone sheilding while bodying you." I think of trying to attack on shield, not landing. You might be right though.

That's what I meant. Hehe, sorry for being cryptic about what I said. I should really have worded that more carefully.

Last edited:

-Xeroskia.

Octoling Wizard
NNID
ColeXero
Switch FC
3334-3736-0319
Alright, so I'll go right out and say that I don't own the game yet and I've been away from these forums (and the BFC forums, now called SSB Fight Club, nice adaptation DDM) for a hell of a time. I mained Yoshi in Brawl, but Robin has definitely been my main focus for this game since his release trailer. I've gotten a decent amount of hours playing him at Xanadu starting in June, but not much at all in terms of lab time/training mode so frame data flies right over my head; all I know is what I've seen in other discussion/match-up threads, videos, and personally experienced...and a hell of a lot of stuff is laggy lol.

Anyway, now that that's out of the way.. Robin's a cool character and I love his unique gameplay that they brought. The only thing that kind of sucks with using him is his speed being hella low in almost every regard, and that while he has nice tools, they don't seem to be what the meta is pushing for tournament character viability. Which is apparently air mobility, throw follow-ups, and good OOS game; bonus points for having a fast projectile with hitstun. (looking at you Sheik)

I'm not so great with keeping up on forums live, so I'll just get everything I wanna say out there and try my best to stay in any sort of follow-up discussion.

Some ideas I had for Robin buffs were these:

1. Small, but noticeably less lag after casting Arcfire. (maybe an animation speed increase overall, but not a projectile speed increase)
  • In my short time experiencing this game (which is fun as hell, even when I'm getting bodied lol), I've gotten punished for using this even when I thought I was safe from over 2/3's FD distance by speedy characters Sheik, Fox, and Falcon. It's pretty laggy and that was one of the things I realized hella quick. I felt limited to using it in edge-guard situations or for blocking other character's weaker projectiles, like Ness, Peach, and Olimar. I saw some cool videos for working combos, but in practice they were pretty inconsistent or hard to set-up reliably and in the end felt too risky with that end lag in most character match-ups.
  • My favorite part is that it goes off on shields, but if it burned from the very center of the flame, instead of jsut the edge, I'd be a lot happier. But I can deal; it's a really fun move to use and sadly there's only 6 per tome. I'd asked for a little bit less knockback (more suction) on the small hits, but that's just selfish quality-of-life that I'd want personally and I'm not experienced enough to know how good that is in the long run for balance perspectives.
2. Small increase in grab range, pummel speed, and up/forward throw damage. (Possibly along with a visible grab range?)
  • This might just be my newbie-ness, but Robin's grab sucked for me. I absolutely despised it immediately, but I've gradually learned to deal. It seemed like it had no range...not that I'd even be able to see it in the first place.. and for whatever reason had almost tether grab lag on it, but I had no throw combos or kill throws beyond back throw at the edge of the stage at like 130% with me having a little rage. I really felt like they forgot to give this guy "magic grab" strength ala Ness or just gave him the worst grab in the game to balance out his "powerful magic spells".
  • Adding on to that, everytime I would get a grab, I'd be so surprised I wasn't already jabbing or getting hit that I'd accidentally pummel. Once. And if that happened while they were under 60%, they could probably get up to make a sandwich, eat it, then come back in time to casually mash out before I could get a throw off. I might be exaggerating with my limited knowledge, but I'm not sure why he'd get such terrible pummel lag if his throw had enough issues with it. At least it does 3%...nice magic powerz.
  • All I ask is maybe visible grab range like Greninja has, along with a slight size increase to let our dash grab be even more of a threat with that jog of ours, and a 1-2% damage increase on forward and up throws. Down throws can pressure read setups and they tend to have low damage anyway, and back throw isn't terrible so I'll leave it as is. I would really like up throw to also be a good kill option for Robin if we can't follow it up anyway, and forward throw to at least give good damage if it will never kill. More selfish quality-of-life stuff, but I'm hoping to get some opinions from you knowledgeable gentlemen, heh heh.
3. Small speed increase on all tilts, and range increase on U-tilt.
  • With my hate for Robin's grab increasing, I looked to his tilts to help me out when i was getting pressured and it was a struggle to find good uses in a pinch. Down tilt was the fastest, but had the least useful range. Forward tilt had the most range, but the least helpful knockback and speed. And U-tilt...oh god U-tilt. I love this tilt to death but I haven't been more letdown than every whiff it made in prime situations. If the sword swing just had the sword more horizontal it would easily be Robin's best tilt. When it hits, I love it and it really works for me even though it's a bit slow, but the closeness needed for it to hit is more hurtful than helpful especially for combo'ing. It's tough man. I also wanted to give the same slight animation speed increase to Robin's N-air to come out and hit both sides a bit quicker, but that's just me being selfish again. N-air is already pretty decent in it's own right from my experience and videos I've seen.
4. El Wind and Nosferatu no longer put Robin into freefall when used/on-hit + slight increase in aerial mobility while recovering from El Wind.
  • So I saw something about Robin's off stage troubles and it seemed that having no upward hitbox on his recovery made his return pretty vulnerable. Since giving Robin a body hitbox during the move would be just weird, I thought this would be the next best idea, along with a creative boost to his aerial bag of tricks. Also Nosferatu putting you in freefall on hit is dumb, especially since it was probably for Nosfera-ciding, which is almost pointless to try at this point in the game. You can't even grab the ledge again if you use it as a mix-up for trying to get back on stage; that hurt the worst for me personally.
  • Anyway, back to El Wind, I wondered why Robin flew into the air then proceed to drift lazily without an option to even use aerials, which seemed like a really cool idea since Sonic, Mega Man, and Bowser Jr. had similar (albeit faster) up specials that did practically the same thing. It'd even be pretty cool with helping us get down if we recover high since we can at least throw out a last ditch aerial, and a cool option for gimping and tricks off-stage or chasing our own Levin U-air hits on-stage.
  • The bonus effect I suggested could also be a slick way of giving a small positive adjustment to Robin's somewhat average aerial mobility so he can escape pressure a little better than he can (and I use this loosely..) currently. Since I don't think changing base values for speed specs is something that Nintendo would do, I noticed that some recovery specials alter aerial speed or mobility until they land on the ground and that value could be the one they adjust since it won't be in effect all the time, just the time that matters. If no speed change, it's cool all the same if we at least get to use aerials to cover ourselves. Maybe a chance for D-air to get some use.
These are just some things I wanted to throw in the mix for discussion; sorry for the wall but I like to be thorough when it comes for balance ideas, or I could've just said:
"tl:dr less laggy Arcfire, not-sucky grab, faster better range tilts, and totally not say anything about El Wind because 2manywords."
...which I'd expect to be countered by "Robin sucks up close, git gud nub scrub".

Nice to meet y'all, and I've been lurking waiting to get the game before entering the discussion threads and all, but I'm getting tired of watching as our character gets ignored further. Hopefully our character forum isn't too dead yet.

Last edited:

Thegreenblur

Smash Cadet
Alright, so I'll go right out and say that I don't own the game yet and I've been away from these forums (and the BFC forums, now called SSB Fight Club, nice adaptation DDM) for a hell of a time. I mained Yoshi in Brawl, but Robin has definitely been my main focus for this game since his release trailer. I've gotten a decent amount of hours playing him at Xanadu starting in June, but not much at all in terms of lab time/training mode so frame data flies right over my head; all I know is what I've seen in other discussion/match-up threads, videos, and personally experienced...and a hell of a lot of stuff is laggy lol.

Anyway, now that that's out of the way.. Robin's a cool character and I love his unique gameplay that they brought. The only thing that kind of sucks with using him is his speed being hella low in almost every regard, and that while he has nice tools, they don't seem to be what the meta is pushing for tournament character viability. Which is apparently air mobility, throw follow-ups, and good OOS game; bonus points for having a fast projectile with hitstun. (looking at you Sheik)

I'm not so great with keeping up on forums live, so I'll just get everything I wanna say out there and try my best to stay in any sort of follow-up discussion.

Some ideas I had for Robin buffs were these:

1. Small, but noticeably less lag after casting Arcfire. (maybe an animation speed increase overall, but not a projectile speed increase)
  • In my short time experiencing this game (which is fun as hell, even when I'm getting bodied lol), I've gotten punished for using this even when I thought I was safe from over 2/3's FD distance by speedy characters Sheik, Fox, and Falcon. It's pretty laggy and that was one of the things I realized hella quick. I felt limited to using it in edge-guard situations or for blocking other character's weaker projectiles, like Ness, Peach, and Olimar. I saw some cool videos for working combos, but in practice they were pretty inconsistent or hard to set-up reliably and in the end felt too risky with that end lag in most character match-ups.
  • My favorite part is that it goes off on shields, but if it burned from the very center of the flame, instead of jsut the edge, I'd be a lot happier. But I can deal; it's a really fun move to use and sadly there's only 6 per tome. I'd asked for a little bit less knockback (more suction) on the small hits, but that's just selfish quality-of-life that I'd want personally and I'm not experienced enough to know how good that is in the long run for balance perspectives.
2. Small increase in grab range, pummel speed, and up/forward throw damage. (Possibly along with a visible grab range?)
  • This might just be my newbie-ness, but Robin's grab sucked for me. I absolutely despised it immediately, but I've gradually learned to deal. It seemed like it had no range...not that I'd even be able to see it in the first place.. and for whatever reason had almost tether grab lag on it, but I had no throw combos or kill throws beyond back throw at the edge of the stage at like 130% with me having a little rage. I really felt like they forgot to give this guy "magic grab" strength ala Ness or just gave him the worst grab in the game to balance out his "powerful magic spells".
  • Adding on to that, everytime I would get a grab, I'd be so surprised I wasn't already jabbing or getting hit that I'd accidentally pummel. Once. And if that happened while they were under 60%, they could probably get up to make a sandwich, eat it, then come back in time to casually mash out before I could get a throw off. I might be exaggerating with my limited knowledge, but I'm not sure why he'd get such terrible pummel lag if his throw had enough issues with it. At least it does 3%...nice magic powerz.
  • All I ask is maybe visible grab range like Greninja has, along with a slight size increase to let our dash grab be even more of a threat with that jog of ours, and a 1-2% damage increase on forward and up throws. Down throws can pressure read setups and they tend to have low damage anyway, and back throw isn't terrible so I'll leave it as is. I would really like up throw to also be a good kill option for Robin if we can't follow it up anyway, and forward throw to at least give good damage if it will never kill. More selfish quality-of-life stuff, but I'm hoping to get some opinions from you knowledgeable gentlemen, heh heh.
3. Small speed increase on all tilts, and range increase on U-tilt.
  • With my hate for Robin's grab increasing, I looked to his tilts to help me out when i was getting pressured and it was a struggle to find good uses in a pinch. Down tilt was the fastest, but had the least useful range. Forward tilt had the most range, but the least helpful knockback and speed. And U-tilt...oh god U-tilt. I love this tilt to death but I haven't been more letdown than every whiff it made in prime situations. If the sword swing just had the sword more horizontal it would easily be Robin's best tilt. When it hits, I love it and it really works for me even though it's a bit slow, but the closeness needed for it to hit is more hurtful than helpful especially for combo'ing. It's tough man. I also wanted to give the same slight animation speed increase to Robin's N-air to come out and hit both sides a bit quicker, but that's just me being selfish again. N-air is already pretty decent in it's own right from my experience and videos I've seen.
4. El Wind and Nosferatu no longer put Robin into freefall when used/on-hit + slight increase in aerial mobility while recovering from El Wind.
  • So I saw something about Robin's off stage troubles and it seemed that having no upward hitbox on his recovery made his return pretty vulnerable. Since giving Robin a body hitbox during the move would be just weird, I thought this would be the next best idea, along with a creative boost to his aerial bag of tricks. Also Nosferatu putting you in freefall on hit is dumb, especially since it was probably for Nosfera-ciding, which is almost pointless to try at this point in the game. You can't even grab the ledge again if you use it as a mix-up for trying to get back on stage; that hurt the worst for me personally.
  • Anyway, back to El Wind, I wondered why Robin flew into the air then proceed to drift lazily without an option to even use aerials, which seemed like a really cool idea since Sonic, Mega Man, and Bowser Jr. had similar (albeit faster) up specials that did practically the same thing. It'd even be pretty cool with helping us get down if we recover high since we can at least throw out a last ditch aerial, and a cool option for gimping and tricks off-stage or chasing our own Levin U-air hits on-stage.
  • The bonus effect I suggested could also be a slick way of giving a small positive adjustment to Robin's somewhat average aerial mobility so he can escape pressure a little better than he can (and I use this loosely..) currently. Since I don't think changing base values for speed specs is something that Nintendo would do, I noticed that some recovery specials alter aerial speed or mobility until they land on the ground and that value could be the one they adjust since it won't be in effect all the time, just the time that matters. If no speed change, it's cool all the same if we at least get to use aerials to cover ourselves. Maybe a chance for D-air to get some use.
These are just some things I wanted to throw in the mix for discussion; sorry for the wall but I like to be thorough when it comes for balance ideas, or I could've just said:
"tl:dr less laggy Arcfire, not-sucky grab, faster better range tilts, and totally not say anything about El Wind because 2manywords."
...which I'd expect to be countered by "Robin sucks up close, git gud nub scrub".

Nice to meet y'all, and I've been lurking waiting to get the game before entering the discussion threads and all, but I'm getting tired of watching as our character gets ignored further. Hopefully our character forum isn't too dead yet.

Pretty much what I've been talking about. Just some buffs to his grab game and make Arcfire better. But Elwind and Nosferatu not putting you into a free-fall? Ehhhh idk. I dont normally get screwed over by that. But having better air maneuverability after using Elwind? YES PLEASE! My god, I have to recovery right below the edge or damn near close just to make it back. And Sometimes Robin misses the ledge and lands on the stage instead. Overall I agree with most of the things you said here (apart from him being slow. i know it sucks but I think it helps out Robin by forcing you to play him right. But better rolls would be nice)

-Xeroskia.

Octoling Wizard
NNID
ColeXero
Switch FC
3334-3736-0319
Pretty much what I've been talking about. Just some buffs to his grab game and make Arcfire better. But Elwind and Nosferatu not putting you into a free-fall? Ehhhh idk. I dont normally get screwed over by that. But having better air maneuverability after using Elwind? YES PLEASE! My god, I have to recovery right below the edge or damn near close just to make it back. And Sometimes Robin misses the ledge and lands on the stage instead. Overall I agree with most of the things you said here (apart from him being slow. i know it sucks but I think it helps out Robin by forcing you to play him right. But better rolls would be nice)
Yeah, my up-B idea was really just a quality-of-life thing; I wanted it because...well similar up specials had it so why not ours. Plus we could make up some neat stuff with that as an option, who knows; apparently the game Robin has right now isn't working out as well as it could.

But other than that, yeah. I haven't had as much time as I'd like to play the game, but I didn't see too much wrong with Robin other than "meta viability" issues. It's just the things that make top tier characters top tier seemed to just be things that Robin didn't do well at, or could do better at if he was just faster or more ranged in certain attacks. He's awfully hot and cold in a lot of situations from my experience. I don't know much about his rolls and dodges, but while I wish they were faster, I don't know much about his frame data and all that. Same for his Levin aerials; I'm ok with them, but I wish they had a touch more range, a teeny bit faster to come out or recover from on landing, or a touch of a different angle on some hits. Or if they're D-air, all 3 and more...

...still, damn U-tilt makes me so sad sometimes lol.

Last edited:

aceorduece

Smash Rookie
I'm a Robin main right now, and I agree that Robin needs some buffs. Personally, I would not get rid of the Durability System as that is set for a potential balancing issue that I actually agree, and with buffs, it would make much more since to keep them on here, however, I would shave off a few seconds to reduce the pressure of fighting because of it. I would strongly suggest increase the travel speed of Thoron and ArcFire, increase the range of Thunder and ElThunder, slightly increase his/her dash speed (not faster than Ganondorf, but closer to it), reduce startup lag for forward smash, reduce the knockback of both down throw and forward throw, reduce the knockback of ArcFire for better consistency/trapping potential, and slightly reduce the landing lag of nair, above other things.

Last edited:

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
Personally, I would not get rid of the Durability System
Thank you for not thinking it needs to be gone.
I would strongly suggest increase the travel speed of Thoron and ArcFire, increase the range of Thunder and ElThunder, slightly increase his/her dash speed (not faster than Ganondorf, but closer to it), reduce startup lag for forward smash, reduce the knockback of both down throw and forward throw, reduce the knockback of ArcFire for better consistency/trapping potential, and slightly reduce the landing lag of nair, above other things.
I disagree with a few things.
Thoron travels fast enough (Speed Thoron is fine for speed, you shouldn't be trying to kill with this anyways).
I'd say Arcfire needs decreased ending lag more than faster travel speed and it's plenty consistent.
Down throw's end lag is bad, which is why it can't true combo anything. Its knockback is fine.
Nair's landing lag is fine.

aceorduece

Smash Rookie
Thank you for not thinking it needs to be gone.
I disagree with a few things.
Thoron travels fast enough (Speed Thoron is fine for speed, you shouldn't be trying to kill with this anyways).
I'd say Arcfire needs decreased ending lag more than faster travel speed and it's plenty consistent.
Down throw's end lag is bad, which is why it can't true combo anything. Its knockback is fine.
Nair's landing lag is fine.
No it's not. Thoron is just too easy to see coming and even with forward throw, a player who knows of the combo will easily DI out of the way. ArcFire is not consistent and not reliable in much higher levels as it's able to be pinpointed by higher skill players, it can be escaped and DI'd out of still, and loses it viability in later percentages, and down throw does not have that much end lag and the true reason it can't combo is because of the fact the knockback gives the opponent enough time to DI or spot/air dodge. Also, Nair could benefit a little better with slightly less landing lag as speed/rushdown characters, as well as shielding opponents, can immediately catch Robin afterwards and punish it. The changes listed are just to reduce the pressure game on Robin. They are not huge changes that will suddenly make the character OP by any means. Robin's abilities and movesets are just way too reliant on the skill level of the opponent, and he suffers tremendously because of it. I love the character, but Robin is heavily flawed and is severely lagging behind because of all of the buffs every character has been given, and Robin has received nearly close to nothing. Including the Durability System still present (being shaved off of just 2 seconds), Robin could use some of these, as Ike has been buffed considerably to being upper-mid tier now, as well as Link.

Last edited:

-Xeroskia.

Octoling Wizard
NNID
ColeXero
Switch FC
3334-3736-0319
No it's not. Thoron is just too easy to see coming and even with forward throw, a player who knows of the combo will easily DI out of the way. ArcFire is not consistent and not reliable in much higher levels as it's able to be pinpointed by higher skill players, it can be escaped and DI'd out of still, and loses it viability in later percentages, and down throw does not have that much end lag and the true reason it can't combo is because of the fact the knockback gives the opponent enough time to DI or spot/air dodge. Also, Nair could benefit a little better with slightly less landing lag as speed/rushdown characters, as well as shielding opponents, can immediately catch Robin afterwards and punish it. The changes listed are just to reduce the pressure game on Robin. They are not huge changes that will suddenly make the character OP by any means. Robin's abilities and movesets are just way too reliant on the skill level of the opponent, and he suffers tremendously because of it. I love the character, but Robin is heavily flawed and is severely lagging behind because of all of the buffs every character has been given, and Robin has received nearly close to nothing. Including the Durability System still present (being shaved off of just 2 seconds), Robin could use some of these, as Ike has been buffed considerably to being upper-mid tier now, as well as Link.
I'm might not have played too long, but Thoron is already a pretty good move as it is. It's the fastest moving charge special I can think of while still being powerful in both damage and knockback. It takes a while to charge and has a little start-up but I'll take that any day; it just needs planned use and that's perfectly fair. If people are DI'ing forward throw in such a way to dodge Thoron, you're probably not using Thoron at the best time. Short hopping or even full hopping and using it as a mix-up worked pretty well for me if they dodged immediate use often, plus it catches air dodges or you can even mix it up Arcfire at mid-low %'s to block an option and get more time to think without using up Thoron. Just theory, I've only done it a few times without knowing for sure.

I agree that Arcfire's a bit inconsistent, but it at least resets the opponent instead of putting you in a bad position. But this move is probably the one that needs the most attention to how the opponent plays to get safe use.

If you're getting punished OoS when using N-air, you're probably too close. We're not Fox or anything, so I wouldn't think it's a good idea to go jumping at people on ground with our N-air.

I agree that Robin is a character that suffers from being too limited to reliably out-play highly skilled players with "better" characters, but I don't fully agree with all the changes you suggested. Landing lag decreases and less escapeable combos aren't a way to reduce pressure, they just increase safety and security with our attacks. Robin would still take pressure just as badly as before and I just don't think increasing his offensive presence so directly is the way to go just yet. Just my opinion.

aceorduece

Smash Rookie
I'm might not have played too long, but Thoron is already a pretty good move as it is. It's the fastest moving charge special I can think of while still being powerful in both damage and knockback. It takes a while to charge and has a little start-up but I'll take that any day; it just needs planned use and that's perfectly fair. If people are DI'ing forward throw in such a way to dodge Thoron, you're probably not using Thoron at the best time. Short hopping or even full hopping and using it as a mix-up worked pretty well for me if they dodged immediate use often, plus it catches air dodges or you can even mix it up Arcfire at mid-low %'s to block an option and get more time to think without using up Thoron. Just theory, I've only done it a few times without knowing for sure.

I agree that Arcfire's a bit inconsistent, but it at least resets the opponent instead of putting you in a bad position. But this move is probably the one that needs the most attention to how the opponent plays to get safe use.

If you're getting punished OoS when using N-air, you're probably too close. We're not Fox or anything, so I wouldn't think it's a good idea to go jumping at people on ground with our N-air.

I agree that Robin is a character that suffers from being too limited to reliably out-play highly skilled players with "better" characters, but I don't fully agree with all the changes you suggested. Landing lag decreases and less escapeable combos aren't a way to reduce pressure, they just increase safety and security with our attacks. Robin would still take pressure just as badly as before and I just don't think increasing his offensive presence so directly is the way to go just yet. Just my opinion.
No. Too many people opt out of using Thoron and use ArcThunder over it. I use Thoron often as well and has killed reliably for me many times, however, it's not as reliable as it should be, and the travel speed does not make it a viable option in serious play because not only is Robin's startup frames obvious giveaways for when the move is activated and how, but too many people are saying it is very easy to just block and dodge. Even after seeing its full potential, nobody fears it. I'm not saying it should sail the stage in half a second, but just a small boost in travel speed would definitely help him in the long run. His speed, frame animation for the end of Thoron, and air game will still make him still difficult to control, so there are still things he already has to balance himself.

You also don't have to be close to get punished for using Nair. Nobody is saying the lag has to be instantaneous either, by a few frames would not possibly hurt. I've had too matched both as Robin and against Robin too many times and defeated the likes of Captain Falcon, Ness, Shulk, Sonic, Luigi, Olimar, Zero Suit Samus, etc., but a good player knows how to get around and read Robin too easily. Most of my victories are from playing as Robin, so I'm not some new person just getting into Smash Bros. for the first time. You also are proving helping to prove my point that Robin's skill set is mostly dependent on fighting opponents who don't know the character well enough, and that's a problem, especially with so many characters getting buffs and now they are getting the better of Robin, and God forbid you actually deal with someone who knows Robin well, or just knows there own character nicely.

Also this line right here: " Landing lag decreases and less escapeable combos aren't a way to reduce pressure, they just increase safety and security with our attacks. Robin would still take pressure just as badly as before and I just don't think increasing his offensive presence so directly is the way to go just yet."

I highly beg to differ. Characters like Ike, Falco, Roy, Shulk, and Link have more than proven the effects of reducing control lag and time has opened up more options for the characters to use in fighting and created a much stronger niche for the characters, just as it did for Mr. Game & Watch for Brawl. He won't have the security like the other characters, but he will be more comfortable in combat while dealing with his limitations, and improvising adaptability which is what his character is all about. I'm not sure why you are questioning my credibility as a Robin player in general. He's my absolute favorite character, but he's not as good as people keep trying to convince you. He needs buffs because he's been mostly ignored. He will not become OP, and I am not underestimating Robin at all, as I'm one of his biggest supporters and defenders, but he is far from what you can consider viable right now with the extreme lack of supervision Robin has been getting lately. The changes are to be relatively small and will at least put him on par with Ike. Nobody fears Robin anymore, and his gimmick has begun to wear off.

I'm not sure if tiers matter to you or not, but I will note Robin has been dropping lower each time within the many tier lists for a reason. During the initial release until the Wii U version came out, Robin was voted as a top tier character, but as time has passed, he been going down lower and lower.

Last edited:

Thegreenblur

Smash Cadet
No. Too many people opt out of using Thoron and use ArcThunder over it. I use Thoron often as well and has killed reliably for me many times, however, it's not as reliable as it should be, and the travel speed does not make it a viable option in serious play because not only is Robin's startup frames obvious giveaways for when the move is activated and how, but too many people are saying it is very easy to just block and dodge. Even after seeing its full potential, nobody fears it. I'm not saying it should sail the stage in half a second, but just a small boost in travel speed would definitely help him in the long run. His speed, frame animation for the end of Thoron, and air game will still make him still difficult to control, so there are still things he already has to balance himself.
What are you talking about? Thoron is great for surprising your opponents while they're close to the uppermost blast line. This has given me great success and has killed at surprisingly low percents. If Thoron is getting you killed you're using it wrong. And Thoron IS easy to block if you use it on the ground. Here's a word of advice; DONT! Use Thoron in the air. You use Arcthunder, and Elthunder to put on the pressure on the ground.

Also this line right here: " Landing lag decreases and less escapeable combos aren't a way to reduce pressure, they just increase safety and security with our attacks. Robin would still take pressure just as badly as before and I just don't think increasing his offensive presence so directly is the way to go just yet."

I highly beg to differ. Characters like Ike, Falco, Roy, Shulk, and Link have more than proven the effects of reducing control lag and time has opened up more options for the characters to use in fighting and created a much stronger niche for the characters, just as it did for Mr. Game & Watch for Brawl. He won't have the security like the other characters, but he will be more comfortable in combat while dealing with his limitations, and improvising adaptability which is what his character is all about. I'm not sure why you are questioning my credibility as a Robin player in general. He's my absolute favorite character, but he's not as good as people keep trying to convince you. He needs buffs because he's been mostly ignored. He will not become OP, and I am not underestimating Robin at all, as I'm one of his biggest supporters and defenders, but he is far from what you can consider viable right now with the extreme lack of supervision Robin has been getting lately. The changes are to be relatively small and will at least put him on par with Ike. Nobody fears Robin anymore, and his gimmick has begun to wear off.
NO Robin does not need combos. You don't need a 50% combo like Marios or Luigis combos to be feared. You can easily be feared for just doing your job right. Robin could easily be feared if he played a good Projectile and Defensive game. Thats all he needs to be a huge threat on the battlefield.

I'm not sure if tiers matter to you or not, but I will note Robin has been dropping lower each time within the many tier lists for a reason. During the initial release until the Wii U version came out, Robin was voted as a top tier character, but as time has passed, he been going down lower and lower.
Robin hasn't gotten worse (aside from that unnecessary nerf his Elwind Jab recently received) Its just players have been getting better. Robin was said to be amazing during the 3ds days because, well its the 3ds and people weren't used to the controls. Robin has also stayed relatively the same while other characters got buffed exg: Ike, Marth/Lucina, Link etc.

Last edited:

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
Umm...Are you talking the Japan tier lists, Reddit tier lists, or Eventhubs tier lists? Those are the only consistently updating ones I've seen.
Because Japan's placed him consistently low tier, most Reddit voters are really competitive players, and Eventhubs is Eventhubs.

Nah

Smash Champion
@ A aceorduece What exactly do you mean by "travel speed" for Thoron? The bolt itself travels fairly quickly. It has 20 frames of startup though.

aceorduece

Smash Rookie
What are you talking about? Thoron is great for surprising your opponents while they're close to the uppermost blast line. This has given me great success and has killed at surprisingly low percents. If Thoron is getting you killed you're using it wrong. And Thoron IS easy to block if you use it on the ground. Here's a word of advice; DONT! Use Thoron in the air. You use Arcthunder, and Elthunder to put on the pressure on the ground.

NO Robin does not need combos. You don't need a 50% combo like Marios or Luigis combos to be feared. You can easily be feared for just doing your job right. Robin could easily be feared if he played a good Projectile and Defensive game. Thats all he needs to be a huge threat on the battlefield.

Robin hasn't gotten worse (aside from that unnecessary nerf his Elwind Jab recently received) Its just players have been getting better. Robin was said to be amazing during the 3ds days because, well its the 3ds and people weren't used to the controls. Robin has also stayed relatively the same while other characters got buffed exg: Ike, Marth/Lucina, Link etc.

So answer two things for me:

As the meta game grows differently, why does Robin (or can not) received a buff whereas Zelda has received plenty?

More importantly, an abundance of Robin players have been losing this season more so than before, so how badly do you think I am trying to change Robin's fundamental aspect of supposed to being slow and tough to control, yet hard hitting and reliable?

Please just trust me on this. I LOVE Robin, but he needs buffs. This same situation happened with Zelda and people swore she was still amazing in both melee and Brawl. Please just believe me on this. Why is everyone trying to dismiss my case as if I'm some random scrub who has never played the character before? Nothing critical will change of Robin fundamentally. Robin has too limited a move pool for this update and is losing out because of it. He has potential, but he's not going to reach it without changing him. I'm not saying this to, but just VERY minor changes that would stop people from blitzing Robin and giving him a solution to the rushdown play style against more experienced players.

As for Thoron, please believe me that it's simple to dodge as using these tactics against someone on For Glory do not work as well on someone you would exclusively find on sites like Smash Ladder or in some local tourneys where the players actually have a much stronger grasp on the game's concept. With that, something must happen with Thoron, either reduce the startup lag for the move to execute a little faster or make the move travel quicker and keep the 20 Frames of Startup Lag.

Umm...Are you talking the Japan tier lists, Reddit tier lists, or Eventhubs tier lists? Those are the only consistently updating ones I've seen.
Because Japan's placed him consistently low tier, most Reddit voters are really competitive players, and Eventhubs is Eventhubs.
Yes, I am talking about all tier lists, American, Japanese, Reddit, player input, etc. There is an obvious trend happening and Robin is moving lower. That is my point to saying that. Please, just hear me out, as the changes are not huge ones.

Last edited by a moderator:

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
The thing is, what happened is that he was placed high tier in the 3ds era, then quickly went to bottom mid/high low. There was no downward trend, people weren't used to him. Now they (mostly) are, so now he's basically generally seen as low mid tier.

aceorduece

Smash Rookie
@ A aceorduece What exactly do you mean by "travel speed" for Thoron? The bolt itself travels fairly quickly. It has 20 frames of startup though.
Just the time it takes a projectile getting from point A to point B. I was trying to give Robin changes without removing his weaknesses, but your idea is miles better than mine.

The thing is, what happened is that he was placed high tier in the 3ds era, then quickly went to bottom mid/high low. There was no downward trend, people weren't used to him. Now they (mostly) are, so now he's basically generally seen as low mid tier.
Actually, he's starting to be seen lower than that now, more like mid-low tier now. This is also why he should get some buffs. They are very minor aesthetic changes though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
@ A aceorduece : Please refrain from double-posting. Edit your posts rather than making a new one (if nobody has posted in between).

We're more lenient on double-posting if the thread has been quiet for like 24 hours or something, but posting in quick succession is against site rules.

I won't be issuing an infraction for it, as you're clearly very new, but please keep it in mind for the future, and make sure to edit instead of double-post! :)

Thegreenblur

Smash Cadet
So answer two things for me:

As the meta game grows differently, why does Robin (or can not) received a buff whereas Zelda has received plenty?.
Me and some other people have already stated why we think he hasn't been getting buffed. to quote myself here "The few people who still play Robin do fairly well so they dont see a reason to give him a buff"

As for Thoron, please believe me that it's simple to dodge as using these tactics against someone on For Glory do not work as well on someone you would exclusively find on sites like Smash Ladder or in some local tourneys where the players actually have a much stronger grasp on the game's concept. With that, something must happen with Thoron, either reduce the startup lag for the move to execute a little faster or make the move travel quicker and keep the 20 Frames of Startup Lag.
Again, if you're consistently missing with Thoron you're using it wrong. And this is coming from someone who plays against people who regularly go to tournaments. They have been hit by the strategy I had stated in a previous post numerous times and still get hit by it. Its hard to doge. (which Im not going to restate. its literally a few posts above this one)

@ A aceorduece : Please refrain from double-posting. Edit your posts rather than making a new one (if nobody has posted in between).

We're more lenient on double-posting if the thread has been quiet for like 24 hours or something, but posting in quick succession is against site rules.

I won't be issuing an infraction for it, as you're clearly very new, but please keep it in mind for the future, and make sure to edit instead of double-post! :)

Btw thanks for cleaning up the thread :grin:

Last edited:

aceorduece

Smash Rookie
Me and some other people have already stated why we think he hasn't been getting buffed. to quote myself here "The few people who still play Robin do fairly well so they dont see a reason to give him a buff"

Again, if you're consistently missing with Thoron you're using it wrong. And this is coming from someone who plays against people who regularly go to tournaments. They have been hit by the strategy I had stated in a previous post numerous times and still get hit by it. Its hard to doge. (which Im not going to restate. its literally a few posts above this one)

Btw thanks for cleaning up the thread :grin:
I don't miss Thoron. It's just not as rewarding in scenarios as it should be. I left no implication of how I play, so why are you juts assuming my play style without even knowing how I play? I've already explained the majority of my wins are from playing Robin alone. I've beaten good Little Mac, Captain Falcon, Ness, Shulk, Fox, Luigi, Mario, Sonic, and Zero Suit Samus players, however, they lose simply because they don't know the matchup well enough. I do play good Robins and I beat them with my secondaries as well as my own Robin. I am well versed with Robin's potential, but now everyone else's potential has increased, so now Robin is having a harder time. If I had the recordings still, I would definitely show them to you. My only point is Robin still needs more tools now with the constant update changes in the meta game, as he is getting nothing. I'm still new to this site and its rules, and it seems I'm in trouble for not knowing how to use the thread, but I'm just trying to say that Robin DESERVES better fighting tools for this constantly changing meta game. I can understand if you don't like me because you think I'm saying he's a bad character overall, but that's not what I'm saying. If I thought he was, I would have suggested changes to his dash attack. Otherwise, there are still a lot of people mocking Thoron. That was the purpose of the travel speed, but someone already suggested instead to reduce some frame data of its startup, as the startup for the move is 20 frames long, which already concluded as being much better. I never said I ever quit using Robin either. He's still in my list of mains, but you can disagree with me all you want. I feel in my heart Robin DESERVES a few buffs in the meta game, simply because of the fact that the fall is not his fault, and neither is it the players.

Last edited:

QuantumKiller

Smash Cadet
NNID
ShreckIsDreck
3DS FC
1435-5574-6890
Guys I know this is not really all on topic but imagine if you could jump-cancel/dash-cancel spells. It would be the best buff ever haha, I only wish ;_;.

Astellius

Smash Ace
@Ace, I'm not sure what you're talking about, as I didn't see anyone assume anything about your play style, and I didn't see anyone saying anything about you personally or whether or not you like Robin. Mostly, people have been stating things in the conditional, i.e., "If this is happening..., then..." Mostly, people have been trying to offer suggestions or help out if something is happening. This is all in good spirits, so try not to take it personally, okay? Also, the moderator specifically said you're not in trouble, he was just providing you with notice of the rules.

Chances are, all the people speaking in this thread are Robin loyals.

aceorduece

Smash Rookie
@Ace, I'm not sure what you're talking about, as I didn't see anyone assume anything about your play style, and I didn't see anyone saying anything about you personally or whether or not you like Robin.
Every time I mentioned ArcFire or Thoron, everybody kept telling me if "I" am doing this or that in a certain way, I am simply playing the character wrong. The things I mentioned were supposed to be very minor tweaks that serve to at best reduce the effectiveness of rush down and reduce the pressure most Robin players face. I know too much will make him too strong, which was why I suggested very small, but noticeable changes, just like how Ike has been treated as they paid more attention to his moves and made him much more viable with it, especially since Robin hasn't been checked in a long time. It actually saddened me more that almost everyone were willing to turn a blind to Robin's faults and simply blame the players for the lowering Robin statistics. If the change was supposed to be big, like reducing Robin's landing lag with neutral air, I would say change it drastically, as Robin is not the only character I've been working on. At most, frames should reduce between 3-5 if no indication is made. Now someone commented on the Startup Frames from Thoron, and I agreed that that is the better idea to stick with by reducing a few frames. Doesn't help that I suddenly got in a grudge match against Little Mac defenders on Youtube that also greatly overestimate Little Mac's approach options (not saying he's bad mind you) and underestimated Robin and players who constantly try to bait Little Mac's defense. I understand opinions, but it's fact that things like that happen. As for ArcFire, I feel the frame data of the pose, as well as travel speed of the attack, should speed up slightly. The same with the nerfing of throw knockback "growth" of forward and down as they still will need a jump or at least slightly increase their hitstun times, but at least he would have a better chance to do the follow up they need instead of just hoping the opponents doesn't know the matchup well and not DI like an average player would.

Last edited:

Thegreenblur

Smash Cadet
It actually saddened me more that almost everyone were willing to turn a blind to Robin's faults and simply blame the players for the lowering Robin statistics.
I of all people know Robin has faults. I'd go as far as say I think hes a bad character. But I stand by what I said about how you use Thoron. Its fine the way it is now and anyone who consistently misses is using it wrong. Robin needs other changes such as changes to Arcfire. Grabs, Arials etc. Thoron is literally the least of Robin's worries as Thoron can be relied on almost all the time if used correctly (unlike other faults Robin has) We aren't turning blind eyes to Robins faults. We're just saying the one change you want is a change he doesn't need. if you take it as us turning a blind eye to Robin's faults well frankly that's your problem.

Silverfox117

Smash Apprentice
I of all people know Robin has faults. I'd go as far as say I think hes a bad character. But I stand by what I said about how you use Thoron. Its fine the way it is now and anyone who consistently misses is using it wrong. Robin needs other changes such as changes to Arcfire. Grabs, Arials etc. Thoron is literally the least of Robin's worries as Thoron can be relied on almost all the time if used correctly (unlike other faults Robin has) We aren't turning blind eyes to Robins faults. We're just saying the one change you want is a change he doesn't need. if you take it as us turning a blind eye to Robin's faults well frankly that's your problem.
I dont want to be that guy, but I would prefer if Thoron would you know kill like ten percent earlier, but that is legit the only thing I would change about it

aceorduece

Smash Rookie
. if you take it as us turning a blind eye to Robin's faults well frankly that's your problem.
Sorry. Could you please just stop making suggestions on how to use Thoron for a minute? I know how to use it, but it needs to be more reliable and either just reduce a little amount of startup lag or make it travel a little quicker because it still depends too heavily on whether or not the opponent knows the matchups or not, just like how they fixed his Wind Jab issue before 1.6 as well as ArcFire, but I recall you were telling me how Robin doesn't need a buff, but that's your opinion, and that's alright. I'm just a little sick of fighting about it right now.

I dont want to be that guy, but I would prefer if Thoron would you know kill like ten percent earlier, but that is legit the only thing I would change about it
That's not a bad thing either.

-Xeroskia.

Octoling Wizard
NNID
ColeXero
Switch FC
3334-3736-0319
Alright, we're clearly all passionate Robin mains, but let's keep it cool in here..

Sorry. Could you please just stop making suggestions on how to use Thoron for a minute? I know how to use it, but it needs to be more reliable and either just reduce a little amount of startup lag or make it travel a little quicker because it still depends too heavily on whether or not the opponent knows the matchups or not, just like how they fixed his Wind Jab issue before 1.6 as well as ArcFire, but I recall you were telling me how Robin doesn't need a buff, but that's your opinion, and that's alright. I'm just a little sick of fighting about it right now.
If multiple mainers are saying that they're able to do something with Thoron and you're not getting the same results, there's some kind of difference in usage there and there's bound to be a person or two that asks about your method. We're not trying to say you're using it wrong or poorly, but other people have found other ways around what you're saying and it's probably better to ask about those before continuing to push your idea through the disagreements. I'm pretty sure we're not taking sides or anything like that.
Thoron has plenty of ways of making it work for what it is, and plenty that ..well, don't. Things that work all the time, whether the opponent knows the match-up or not, are called cheap and/or broken.

Yes, there's been times that it hasn't killed when I hoped it would, or times where I lost the charge because I got stuffed during the start-up. But, of all the times that I've used it and it didn't work out, I've never thought to myself "I wish this move was better". It was almost always "Ok, that wasn't the best time to use it".

Astellius

Smash Ace
Could you please just stop making suggestions on how to use Thoron for a minute? I know how to use it, but it needs to be more reliable
We're making suggestions about how to use Thoron because, for me, I find Thoron to be very reliable without any modification. Of course, it *could* be better, but that, logically, is always going to be true. I think the point we're getting at is this: Is the point of disagreement a result of an inherent limit on Robin's potential, or is it the result of unrealized and/or unmaximized potential on the part of the player? The answer to this will likely correspond to whether we think it is necessary to buff Robin vis-a-vis this point, or whether the buffs are simply something we would like or want.

Basically, the indication is that multiple players find Thoron to be very reliable and produce great results, so that runs contrary to the argument that Robin actually needs a buff here, both as a practical matter and as a logical point. Great results are practically obtainable with Thoron. Sure, better results might be achieved with a few less frames of start-up, or if it killed slightly earlier, but those of us who are saying it doesn't need a buff are thinking that Thoron is great as is, and so any buff would just be extra icing on the cake.

shane3x

Saint of Swords
For myself Thoron wouldn't my first area of any potential reviews, I'd be looking at some other things such as

• A small tweak to Arcfire
Being a move with a predictable path and not being the fastest thing in the world, using the move creates a good opportunity for a rushdown player. Of course the robin player can always arcfire better but considering his overall speed in terms of movement and attacks I think a small tweak here so maybe some combination of a small number of frames faster and/or less endlag would go someway in improving it's use against rushdown characters.
  • Grab's
  • Nosferatu
Mostly just to improve how robin plays and her tools in certain situations as opposed to trying to change the fundamentals of the character.

Last edited:

Astellius

Smash Ace
I think that Robin's grab needs work because it has certain inherent and bad limits due to a very short reach and a lot of lag. Robin isn't an "in-your-face" type of player, but the grab requires you to be pretty much touching the opponent.

I like to do a shield grab if I throw an Arcfire and my foe jumps or passes it immediately and tries to attack me, but this can be dangerous simply because the foe's attack knocks me away a minimal amount in my shield, or they use an attack with wider spacing. I'm then in a bad position because (1) I'm now going to suffer an easy punish, and (2) I'm knocked out of an area I was trying to control. Robin's grab range is so short and very laggy, and it can easily make Robin vulnerable to punish.

Since Robin has limited mobility overall, and a lot of lag with Arcfire, an otherwise decent Arcfire attack can leave Robin with just two options (shield and hold), or (shield, suck up the first hit, shield grab). Given the limit lag and mobility limitations, and then the limitations on grab, this can be a difficult position for Robin. Just some length on the grab would be helpful, that way, when Robin's shield is hit and gets puts back a trivial amount, the counter grab is still a viable option that doesn't whiff. That grab whiff leaves so much lag, I expect to be punished if it misses.

Last edited:

Zio~

The Underdog
NNID
Fabri1794
3DS FC
3711-9383-8936
I personally don't use his projectiles for attacking, most of them are for covering options and force your opponents to some certain situations. I usually attack with aerials and tilts and it works quite well for me. The one thing I think Robin needs a buff is his grab and his mobility.

Casey Chase

Undine~
3DS FC
1521-4138-1029
I personally don't use his projectiles for attacking, most of them are for covering options and force your opponents to some certain situations. I usually attack with aerials and tilts and it works quite well for me. The one thing I think Robin needs a buff is his grab and his mobility.
The reason why Robin's mobility is so bad is because of said projectiles...

aceorduece

Smash Rookie
We're making suggestions about how to use Thoron because, for me, I find Thoron to be very reliable without any modification. Of course, it *could* be better, but that, logically, is always going to be true. I think the point we're getting at is this: Is the point of disagreement a result of an inherent limit on Robin's potential, or is it the result of unrealized and/or unmaximized potential on the part of the player?
Maybe I should rephrase it to, please stop telling me how I should use Thoron, because I know how to use it and use it well. I clearly said that because, I know what Thoron can do, and to say you can't or shouldn't use it in the air is not good advice as it's very reliable in the air, and many of his kills for Thoron comes from miss timed aerial dodges as it is both an extreme pressure tool and a somewhat unpredictable KO move if used in the air, but can be read properly, however, it can just lose a couple of startup frames, which is not a huge change, not to mention just telling me if I do this or that, you simply aren't doing it right, which is not my point at all, and it seems you are blaming me for whatever issues Robin has because of a suggestion and I'm just a bad player, apparently. The biggest reason I made that list was solely because of the constant character upgrades, and yet Robin has not yet been touched, and it is affecting him in battle. I simply just wanted to justify my reasoning so no one will think I don't know Robin or what I'm talking about like people did to the original poster.

If multiple mainers are saying that they're able to do something with Thoron and you're not getting the same results, there's some kind of difference in usage there and there's bound to be a person or two that asks about your method. We're not trying to say you're using it wrong or poorly, but other people have found other ways around what you're saying and it's probably better to ask about those before continuing to push your idea through the disagreements. I'm pretty sure we're not taking sides or anything like that.
Thoron has plenty of ways of making it work for what it is, and plenty that ..well, don't. Things that work all the time, whether the opponent knows the match-up or not, are called cheap and/or broken.

Yes, there's been times that it hasn't killed when I hoped it would, or times where I lost the charge because I got stuffed during the start-up. But, of all the times that I've used it and it didn't work out, I've never thought to myself "I wish this move was better". It was almost always "Ok, that wasn't the best time to use it".

The only change was to make the startup animation slightly shorter, which is about a few milliseconds sooner. It would in no way be a significant change, or even a noticeable one, and would not make him broken in the slightest. I never said it was a bad move to begin with, just that with all the changes since the beginning of the game, Robin is having a harder time. It's not even near the top of my list either, but it's something incredibly small just for better options afterwards to help with rush down tactics. That's all. I'm not sure where and why suddenly people are thinking I'm saying it's a bad move, because I never said that or even implied it other than saying it needs to be more reliable. This is only because of the enormous amount of lag beforehand and afterward, but I know what Thoron can do, which is why it very minimal to the point you likely won't notice the difference unless you truly looked hard and he'll still have the weaknesses present, like using it offstage results into an SD. I'm sorry, but I will keep my stance with Thoron situation because it seems everybody has gotten the wrong on here.

For myself Thoron wouldn't my first area of any potential reviews, I'd be looking at some other things such as

• A small tweak to Arcfire
Being a move with a predictable path and not being the fastest thing in the world, using the move creates a good opportunity for a rushdown player. Of course the robin player can always arcfire better but considering his overall speed in terms of movement and attacks I think a small tweak here so maybe some combination of a small number of frames faster and/or less endlag would go someway in improving it's use against rushdown characters.
  • Grab's
  • Nosferatu
Mostly just to improve how robin plays and her tools in certain situations as opposed to trying to change the fundamentals of the character.
Thoron is not on my priority list, but what I got was the when someone kept telling me how I shouldn't use it in the air and things like that, which are untrue as it's totally reliable as an air move, and it seems everyone here got the wrong idea that I think Thoron is terrible. At best, I described it a slight, which means just a few milliseconds early, which is not very significant if you think about it, and it is far from the only thing I mentioned. As for ArcFire, I personally just think slightly reducing some knockback on the ArcFire pixels before the final explosion for better pressure like Wind Jab, and maybe slightly increasing its travel speed would help.

We're just saying the one change you want is a change he doesn't need. if you take it as us turning a blind eye to Robin's faults well frankly that's your problem.
As I said, please do not try to tell me how I should and should not use Thoron. The most my change would do is make it come out a few milliseconds sooner, so it's not much of a significant buff at all, in fact, it's almost literally as if nothing happened, and please no more assuming that I think the move is bad. It's solely just me explaining my reason as well as proof that I know my character well enough to justify it instead of just spouting out random stuff and not even having an inkling of what the character is all about. If you still think I'm just saying Robin's Thoron is terrible, then that's your problem, not mine.

Last edited:

Thegreenblur

Smash Cadet
As I said, please do not try to tell me how I should and should not use Thoron. The most my change would do is make it come out a few milliseconds sooner, so it's not much of a significant buff at all, in fact, it's almost literally as if nothing happened, and please no more assuming that I think the move is bad. It's solely just me explaining my reason as well as proof that I know my character well enough to justify it instead of just spouting out random stuff and not even having an inkling of what the character is all about. If you still think I'm just saying Robin's Thoron is terrible, then that's your problem, not mine.
What you quoted wasn't me telling you how to play the character. If I wanted to I most certainly could. All I (and many others) are saying is he doesn't need that change. We get success with Thoron so we feel it doesn't need to happen. What you quoted was literally what I just said here. Now, get back on topic and quit insisting everyone is telling you how to play Robin.

Last edited:

Casey Chase

Undine~
3DS FC
1521-4138-1029
I have a few more things that could help improve Robin a bit.

Utaunt has 100% chance of doing critical damage (50%) and is an OHKO above 20%. It can really tip the scales.
Make Arcfire run-cancellable
Replace Thunder with Needles
Replace Elwind with Vanish
Replace Nosferatu with Bouncing Fish
Remove Robin and replace with Sheik

Seriously though, Robin only really should get few minor tweaks (dumb **** like aerial Nosferatu). Most of the things in this thread would just be icing on the cake.

Last edited:

Nah

Smash Champion

Utaunt has 100% chance of doing critical damage (50%) and is an OHKO above 20%. It can really tip the scales.
Make Arcfire run-cancellable
Replace Thunder with Needles
Replace Elwind with Vanish
Replace Nosferatu with Bouncing Fish
Remove Robin and replace with Sheik
They actually put all that in several patches ago. You just have have to enter the secret code: up up down down lefter right left right A B character select shiek :troll:

aceorduece

Smash Rookie
If Thoron is getting you killed you're using it wrong. And Thoron IS easy to block if you use it on the ground. Here's a word of advice; DONT! Use Thoron in the air. You use Arcthunder, and Elthunder to put on the pressure on the ground.
With all due respect, this is one of the examples I'm talking about. I even said beforehand that I knew of it, but still insisted that I'm using it incorrectly. Maybe you didn't truly recognize it, but that was exactly what you were doing with that comment. Also, Thoron works well in the air, but it's best that you don't use it while offstage.

Again, if you're consistently missing with Thoron you're using it wrong. And this is coming from someone who plays against people who regularly go to tournaments.
This is also another example. Never have I said I struggle with using Thoron in any of my comments, and if you thought I had or assumed that I thought that Thoron is a bad move, I'm sorry, but please as I am asking you respectfully to refrain from doing this and just see what my posts for what they are, an in-depth analysis, and even if it works for you, I am giving credit to smarter, better players who can get around his tricks way too easily without need or pressure, and I am including myself, not to sound narcissistic or arrogant in the least. Just as you have had people on here who seem to agree with you, I have had people on other mediums that agreed with me, after some sound debating, so whatever you seem to think of me, please do not assume just because I am a newcomer to this site does not mean that I don't know what I am referring to specifically.

I never said he needed combos either. I more than agree with you on this matter, however, this was to create just a more reliable, but still risky, way to connect with certain moves in low to mid percentages, which was why I said reduce the knockback (growth) of down/forward throw. I don't want another Link/Charizard/Luigi like combo for him either, but it's clearly too much knockback even for 0%, and if not the knockback, at least very, very slightly increase the hit stun time to make DI'ing a little harder to escape from, but still possible for the opponent to dodge in later percentages, and this is assuming the opponents knows how to properly DI, but make it somewhat slightly harder for the opponent to DI out of it.

Like I said, the reason there is so much for Robin listed is because of the abundant amount of buffs many characters like Ike, Meta Knight, Marth, Zelda, and Link have been getting, and yet Robin has hardly been touched since the beginning of the game. My only point is the metagame is getting unnecessarily harder for him to keep control now and simply needs a boost or some help, like certain other characters do.

What you quoted wasn't me telling you how to play the character. If I wanted to I most certainly could. All I (and many others) are saying is he doesn't need that change. We get success with Thoron so we feel it doesn't need to happen. What you quoted was literally what I just said here. Now, get back on topic and quit insisting everyone is telling you how to play Robin.
Like I said, before, I will stay with my stance to just decrease the startup lag of Thoron. At best, it will come out within just a few milliseconds faster while keeping his end lag, which isn't too significant or noticeable to begin with. To me, it's absolutely the smallest change on the list, whether you think it's necessary or not, but coming out of a few (4 to 5) milliseconds faster will not make him suddenly over powered. I'm simply giving my answer to the unpopular decision, not some huge debate over how Robin is practically the Captain America/Batman of this game and the need for strategy which I'm all too familiar with. With all respect, I respect you're opinion, but it will not change what I think either, as I think it would benefit him just slightly without even coming close to being eventually breakable. My biggest things I want for Robin are as goes:

- reducing the ending lag of all grab forms

- reducing the time of Tome Recovery from 10 seconds to 8 seconds Noseferatu from 40 to 35-30

- slightly reducing the startup lag for forward smash (in Awakening, he never really cocked his sword back before striking) and Nosferatu to slightly increase the chances of hitting an opponent

- increasing the range of Thunder and ElThunder

- slightly reducing the landing lag of neutral air, because he actually gets an almost second long cooldown which can leave him open for that long, but this would surely at the least give him a few more options without it being breakable

- either reduce frame data of down tilt or slightly increase the range just so Robin can attack with something other than Jab Combo

- the throws for forward and down can lose just a little distance

That's all, and I hope you understand I am not asking for a magical Link or another Villager. I want him to keep what makes him unique from the rest of the cast without giving up much.

Last edited:

Thegreenblur

Smash Cadet

You know what would really make Up Taunt Tip Some Mother****ing scales? Make it have a hitbox as big as Palutenas Temple ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Top Bottom