• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rock Paper Scissors! (Edmonton, AB) - NEW LOCATION - April 27th, 2013 - Edmonton, Alberta

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Sorry, Keith. I was away for the night. But hey, that itinerary sounds pretty dece to me. I'll look over it some more in a bit here. /gotta sleep for work

Commander Guttz

Smash Rookie
Yo everyone I don't know If you remember me But, I'll be there on Saturday for sure; this is Jordan the DK player, I was around when Snakes roamed the Earth..... are they still?

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Yo Frio (Mark I think?), did you see this pic before?

[Collapse="Chinese Riddle"]

[/Collapse]

Diminisht

Smash Journeyman
Dear Alfishans:

That is all.

Jordan that's awesome, so stoked for this tourney, I think we'll have a pretty large turnout, and to answer your question: not too many snakes left roaming, but they pop up every once in awhile

Taste

Smash Apprentice
quick question to you classy edmontonians.

we're having a small tourney down here mainly to get new people in our scene. I've been approached by a few people who have been asking if metaknight is banned.
In your opinion would metaknight being banned be a plus or a minus in the random participants eyes? We're just trying to make as many people as possible attend.

someone also told me all the Calgary melee players will enter as metaknight if hes allowed and spam b moves.. lol.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
You shouldn't care about the melee players cause they're not gonna stick around for the long term.

Ban MK, because ideally we want the edmonton and calgary scenes to start attending tournaments together, and since we run unity ruleset you guys should too. I don't think it'll hurt new player attendance at all.

Taste

Smash Apprentice
You shouldn't care about the melee players cause they're not gonna stick around for the long term.
Oh I really don't care, that was just kind of an aside.

If anyone else feels differently let me know, but that's kind of how I've been feeling anyway. Thanks.

How about this, for running a small tournament that will run melee and brawl singles/ brawl doubles over the course of about 5-6 hours, what would be a good number of setups to have? Turnout could be completely random. But at least 10 for melee and 15 for Brawl + randoms that walk into play (hopefully a lot).

T-block

B2B TST
it depends on how much exposure they have to the competitive scene

those with absolutely no exposure will probably think it's stupid that meta knight would be banned. if they happen to main meta knight (and he is a popular character even for those who play casually), then you've lost a player.

on the other hand, those who are likely to stick around are probably those who have already looked a little bit into the competitive scene, so they might be more understanding.

so... i don't think it will hurt random participation to have MK banned. combined with what luke just said, it's probably better to leave him banned.

brningpyre

Smash Lord
As for setups for 20-30 people, you'll want at least 6, especially if you want to run singles and doubles in 5-6 hours. The tricky part is getting randoms to get off TV's for tournament matches without having them leave.

The more setups, the better. You can (almost) never have too many.

What are you going to do for stages and rules (other than MK)? It would probably help to simplify things, and have a step-by-step on sheets taped underneath each TV.

Taste

Smash Apprentice
As for setups for 20-30 people, you'll want at least 6, especially if you want to run singles and doubles in 5-6 hours. The tricky part is getting randoms to get off TV's for tournament matches without having them leave.

The more setups, the better. You can (almost) never have too many.

What are you going to do for stages and rules (other than MK)? It would probably help to simplify things, and have a step-by-step on sheets taped underneath each TV.
Exactly what I'm going to do. It'll be Brawl for dummies. Registration area: all the rules will be printed and displayed there as a reference. On every tv : GAME RULES, HOW TO PICK A STARTER STAGE, HOW TO COUNTERPICK A STAGE. Not sure if I'll throw in little things like picking controller port priority or Daves stupid rule, maybe in a 4th optional sheet entitled DID YOU KNOW?

The people I'm working with said they could get 4 setups and I told them I wanted 8. Glad to see my gut was right. We'll be running friendlies hopefully for the first hour before we get into singles. Once singles gets started, the tvs will be labeled, matches will be called and hopefully things will run efficiently (I'm going to suggest the brax are always on display via projector on this website http://challonge.com/dec18singles. As well, the person calling ppl and tvs needs a way to project their voice, via megaphone I really dont care.)

I think by having lots of room for people to sit and observe matches, as well as having doubles second to allow randoms to mingle and find partners (as well as have something to look forward to when they are eliminated from singles) there will hopefully be incentive for people to stick around. If it was my first tourney I would probably look at my competition when I wasn't playing matches (We're going to do double elimination) A raffle for a door prize later on might be smart if we have enough $ to afford it.

As well I'm gonna get myself and the brawlers from Calgary to be on supernice mode. Introduce ourselves to them, make chit chat, get their contact info for future events. All in all I'm very hopeful! If anyone else has suggestions for an event like this let me know.

T-block

B2B TST
if your aim is to attract new players, don't get too caught up in being too serious.

as singles bracket winds down so that you don't need as many TVs, start "fun" setups (allbrawl, duelist, pokemon trainer ffas, etc.) and show them that you're not all about being super competitive.

Taste

Smash Apprentice
Do you mean that to the degree that I should tone back anything I mentioned? And for sure plenty of time for friendlies and causal matches would be good. If we get enough tvs we might dedicate one setup to it.

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
:falcon: has been improving

IM COMING FOR YOU JACK

THE DITTO IS MINE

Taste

Smash Apprentice
Hey couple more quick tourney questions:

Because I don't know how many people are going to show I'm going to run just brawl and melee singles over the course of the 5 hours we have the venue, and let people preregister for a doubles only day we'll be running a few weeks down the road.

Brawl 5 setups, 5 hours

Melee 3 setups 5 hours

what should we cap registration at?

Also, fun side events. Anyone know any?

MeSSi

Smash Ace

Because I don't know how many people are going to show I'm going to run just brawl and melee singles over the course of the 5 hours we have the venue, and let people preregister for a doubles only day we'll be running a few weeks down the road.

Brawl 5 setups, 5 hours

Melee 3 setups 5 hours

i say dont cap registration cuz the more ppl involved in the scene, the better

i like low tier dubz as a side event

gl with reviving calgary ssb scene :)

T-block

B2B TST
u lose when he plays mk tho

k i think i will go diddy

but i havent played so i dont know

but come to the tourney bro

we need a diddy main here
i was a PT main bro

Brawl 5 setups, 5 hours

Melee 3 setups 5 hours

do you really think you're going to hit a cap? o.o damn

if you're doing pools, there's pretty much no way you're going to finish with five setups if you have more than 32 people. even with 32, it's gotta be tight, and you'll probably need to do bo1 pools.

duelist is a good side event to SHOW new players... might be hard for them to actually play it unless they main snake already, but you never know. low tier dubs and stuff can be fun, but if your new players are more casual minded they might not be able to appreciate it - plus people would need to find partners, which isn't easy if you're coming into a scene for the first time.

if you can keep up the hype, crews can be good. find out who is willing, then divide into two pools based on ranking (don't draft).

PT ffas is hella fun, but it doesn't work so much for a side event as it does as a post-tourney activity. four players play PT, random starter... those with the same pokemon are on a team... switching disallowed. as people die, they will change teams and such. soooo funny to see one ivysaur end up against three squirtles, etc.

Taste

Smash Apprentice
Generally speaking, are side events for like any prizes or anything/ have an entry fee? I was gonna have one setup being like a ganon/cf item ffa on ******** hacked stages like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuZm7Fz5QF8

I'm just wondering how much attention I need to give to running these side events as opposed to the main thing.

Thanks for yall help!

EDIT: Also I hadn't planned to do pools. Doing double elimination.

four players play PT, random starter... those with the same pokemon are on a team... switching disallowed. as people die, they will change teams and such. soooo funny to see one ivysaur end up against three squirtles, etc.
That sounds hella fun btw

T-block

B2B TST
it's up to you... gauge your audience. if they're more competitively inclined, then feel free to adopt a $1 entry fee for something semi-serious. otherwise, keep it free to encourage participation. if you want to donate a small prize or something, more power to you.

PT FFAs are the besttttt

JAPAN FOX

Smash Cadet
If he IS hosting, I won't be going tomorrow, so no Extend.

Busy doing stuff at my house lol.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I think after this monthly I'm gonna take a break to pursue BlazBlue. Just a month or two though. Nothing big. And I'll still go to the smashfests and whatnot.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Shouldn't you practice for Japan?
Oh I will. I'll be back playing more Smash then before. I don't touch Brawl to begin with, usually a month at a time for the monthly when I hang out at Jack's anyways.

Besides, coming back to tourneys for April or May will be more then enough time to be on my a-game.

Top Bottom