• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rock Paper Scissors! (Edmonton, AB) - NEW LOCATION - April 27th, 2013 - Edmonton, Alberta

brningpyre

Smash Lord
Japan:

Mark, you said you were going to talk with a travel-agent aunt about cheap tickets. How did that go? Brandon agreed to talk with his family's travel agent about it as well.

I want to set a (soft) deadline of the Sunday after the tourney for buying tickets. I'll be on my computer the whole time doing videos anyway.

---

BC Carpool:

We'll leave on Friday morning (April 27, 2012). I need to confirm everyone who's going.

So far, I've heard that Jack, Mark, Brandon, and Darren want to go. That makes for a full car.

Frio

Smash Champion
Im done my exams on the 26th so im gonig to BC for sure, the tickets were a bust on my end.

brningpyre

Smash Lord
They're coming right now, baby.

EDIT: I'm encoding Losers' Finals right now. Cheered out loud when Jamie killed Luke's pika. **** yeah.

EDIT2: Done encoding all the vids. The remaining ones are uploading right now (currently 50% through Winners' Finals).

lilseph

Smash Ace
Japan:

Mark, you said you were going to talk with a travel-agent aunt about cheap tickets. How did that go? Brandon agreed to talk with his family's travel agent about it as well.

I want to set a (soft) deadline of the Sunday after the tourney for buying tickets. I'll be on my computer the whole time doing videos anyway.

---

BC Carpool:

We'll leave on Friday morning (April 27, 2012). I need to confirm everyone who's going.

So far, I've heard that Jack, Mark, Brandon, and Darren want to go. That makes for a full car.
I work Sat and Sun so hopefully you guys are still up to working things out (or maybe even figured it all out by then) . I'm off at 6:15 on Sunday.

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
hey Keith it's been awhile but did you still have those friendlies from the tourney me and Te-Jay were at? If you still had our :falcon: v :mario2: i'd appreciate you sending them to me so i can upload them

thx

:wolf:

T-block

B2B TST
running the stage selection procedure after character selection shifts the stage choice towards the median of bias with respect to the characters chosen

running it before character selection will aim it towards the median of bias with respect only to the players, but that requires that each player is familiar with the other in order to reach an outcome that i would consider "fair".

so i disagree with it quite strongly actually, unless the japanese have a reasoning that eludes me.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I suppose it's not a big deal for a community like ours, but yeah, if used at a national level tournament it seems like it doesn't do much better than just going random.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
If we just start putting our own spin on the ruleset, we won't be even going by Japanese at all. More like Alberta inspired by Japanese ruleset.

Keep the stagelist the way it is and don't strike from the whole list of neutral/CP imo.

brningpyre

Smash Lord
If we just start putting our own spin on the ruleset, we won't be even going by Japanese at all. More like Alberta inspired by Japanese ruleset.

Keep the stagelist the way it is and don't strike from the whole list of neutral/CP imo.
This is my thinking. We're going to keep the 35 ledge grab limit as a change, though. I don't expect it to be an issue, but it could, nonetheless, completely destroy matches or entire sets.

The line of thinking behind the stage-then-character choice is (imo) to take the stage out of the equation for people that play multiple characters. It's trying to make the choice of stage matter less, which I can agree with.

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
yo can you guys post your ruleset when it's finished and everything?

i'd like to see if BC would try it

T-block

B2B TST
i don't see how it makes the stage matter less

if anything, it increases the potential for a stage to impact a match

for example, under this system, i'm sure we would see plenty of diddy on FD on game 1, whereas under the prior system that almost never happened.

brningpyre

Smash Lord
You're right, I said that completely wrong. You're picking characters based on the stage, instead of picking stages based on the character.

This benefits people who play multiple characters, obviously. I don't think we'll see any kind of Diddy/Falco on FD a lot, though. We all generally know what each other play, and I think most people will avoid FD.

T-block

B2B TST
let's run a thought experiment

there is some character for whom FD is far and above the best stage in the game.

now let's say there is another character for whom SV is far and above the best stage in the game.

would we still consider this system fair? what if you came up against someone who co-mained both of these characters?

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Not surprising, imo. A lot of people use that word to refer to a Japanese person/thing and it is never said with malice.

ganonlink

Smash Journeyman
im probably not going to get too much practice in this week due to taking my buddy out for his 18th birthday. so if anyone is up for some mid week practice, contact me :p.

also Keith. are you going to make another FB event page for this? maybe we can do that free entry thing for the newbs this time?

:phone:

lilseph

Smash Ace
im probably not going to get too much practice in this week due to taking my buddy out for his 18th birthday. so if anyone is up for some mid week practice, contact me :p.

also Keith. are you going to make another FB event page for this? maybe we can do that free entry thing for the newbs this time?

:phone:
I might take you up on that since I have 3 days off in the middle of the week. >.>

Top Bottom