• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rock Paper Scissors! (Edmonton, AB) - NEW LOCATION - April 27th, 2013 - Edmonton, Alberta

ChaosDrifter

Smash Lord
kinda last minute but i was told to pass this on in case anyone's interested in attending:

Join us on March 22nd, for our final Innovative Leaders Lecture of the 2011/2012 academic year:

Digital Entrepreneurs and the Future of Fun
Jason Kapalka,’92 BA, ’94 MA
Co-Founder & Chief Creative Officer
PopCap Games

Jason Kapalka is the Co-Founder and Chief Creative Officer of PopCap Games. He started the company in 2000 with John Vechey and Brian Fiete, and it has since grown to over 500 employees worldwide with offices in Seattle, San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Shanghai and Tokyo. PopCap’s hit games include Bejeweled, Plants vs Zombies, Zuma and Peggle, for various video game platforms, mobile devices, and social networks. PopCap games have received numerous awards and honours, and have collectively sold hundreds of millions of copies. Last fall PopCap was acquired by Electronic Arts in a deal worth upwards of $750 million.

Jason was born and raised in Edmonton, and attended the University of Alberta, where he received his BA and a MA in English Literature. He moved to San Francisco during the dot-com boom of the nineties, where he helped create the popular casual gaming site pogo.com. He now resides in British Columbia.

Date:
March 22, 2012
Time:
4:00 - 5:30 pm
CCIS Room L2 200 (Lower Floor)
Centennial Centre for Interdisciplinary Sciences
11455 Saskatchewan Drive
(East of 116 Street)

Reception with light refreshments will be held immediately following the lecture.

This event is open to all students, faculty, staff, alumni and the general public and although the event is free, space is limited, so please RSVP early to guarantee a seat.

RSVP link: http://www.giving.ualberta.ca/Innov... Series/Jason Kapalka/RSVP Jason Kapalka.aspx

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Yes. XD I considered myself a Yoshi/Ike back then, and before the tournament, I did a bit of reading up on the boards to get an idea of which MUs Ike did significantly better at than Yoshi. This was back when GaW was considered terrible for Yoshi, so I told myself I'd use Ike if I came up against a GaW or any other character on the above list. (I think Zelda was one of them, but I don't remember any of the others) So after you 2-stocked my Yoshi with GaW, I saw it as the perfect opportunity to demonstrate my counterpicking skills, so I excitedly switched to Ike...neglecting the fact that I'm supposed to wait until you confirm your character before switching. So you went Falco and shut me down. :x

And that's the story of the time I used Ike in a serious tournament set. :upsidedown:

:005:

T-block

B2B TST
yeah i'm trying to remember my first set with luke too

but i can't recall

i do remember we didn't actually play until like... our third tournament together i think?

T-block

B2B TST
actually i can't help but smile when i think about the first time i played jake

pretty sure he took like 60% from my first bullet seed and i was thinking "this is gonna be easy"

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
I remember my first tourney set, got Bundtcake.

oh man good times.

Sinister, stacked brackets since April 11'.

:wolf:

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
yeah darren lets team :)

peach + wario again?

:009:
Yeah buddy :)
While watching ourvids from last tourney I realized I gotta stop hitting you....
I'll work on that lol

yeah i'm trying to remember my first set with luke too

but i can't recall

i do remember we didn't actually play until like... our third tournament together i think?
First time I ever played Luke was on wifi.
I DESTROYED him.

scrub

:troll:

T-block

B2B TST
yo phoenix people, are your plans fleshed out yet?

it's very possible i'll need to be settled in by apr 29, so you guys should stick around for a few days after

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Yes. XD I considered myself a Yoshi/Ike back then, and before the tournament, I did a bit of reading up on the boards to get an idea of which MUs Ike did significantly better at than Yoshi. This was back when GaW was considered terrible for Yoshi, so I told myself I'd use Ike if I came up against a GaW or any other character on the above list. (I think Zelda was one of them, but I don't remember any of the others) So after you 2-stocked my Yoshi with GaW, I saw it as the perfect opportunity to demonstrate my counterpicking skills, so I excitedly switched to Ike...neglecting the fact that I'm supposed to wait until you confirm your character before switching. So you went Falco and shut me down. :x

And that's the story of the time I used Ike in a serious tournament set. :upsidedown:

Dude I played falco vs you. I am 100% on this... I didn't even play GaW seriously back then.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
I think I'd remember my first tournament match. :x It was Yoshi vs. GaW on Yoshi's Island. I got Nair combo'd a lot, and I died to a charged Fsmash at like, 60% because my DI was bad. You probably played GaW because it was round 1 and you figured it would be a good time to mess around with a secondary (which it was).

Alphicans

Smash Hero
No I didn't. Pika's cg wasn't known back then either >_>.

Jake you must be mistaking this for another tournament. The U3 tournament, I didn't use GaW. I remember our match because I shook your hand mid way through the match thinking it was over. Maybe you're referring to the soukawaii tournament after it?

T-block

B2B TST
No I didn't. Pika's cg wasn't known back then either >_>.

Jake you must be mistaking this for another tournament. The U3 tournament, I didn't use GaW. I remember our match because I shook your hand mid way through the match thinking it was over. Maybe you're referring to the soukawaii tournament after it?
you defs used GW at you3. i remember watching you barely beat jack with GW.

remember i played GW back then too lol

ganonlink

Smash Journeyman
im taking Smolley out for a kind of belated birthday thing on saturday if anyone wants to tag along= going out to the bars and hopefully get some gaming in as well

:phone:

Limeee

Smash Champion
my first match against luke was in doubles with mike against him and mark

IIRC they went double jiggly on us game 2 when we CP'd rainbow cruise

:009:

Top Bottom