• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rock Paper Scissors! (Edmonton, AB) - NEW LOCATION - April 27th, 2013 - Edmonton, Alberta

Crusayer

Smash Lord
KYLE, IF YOU FIND A GRIEF SEED KEYCHAIN CAN YOU GET ME ONE? I'LL PAY YOU BACK.

c

Dragonz7

Smash Apprentice
RON (and Victor), P:M friendlies (pref melee) this saturday? I'll stop by for a bit.

Salty runback

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Woah, what's with that hostility

I'll be there at the tourney regardless anyway. It's up to you whether or not you'll come :V.

Frio

Smash Champion
I ran into David and he actually acknowledge my existence/told me he was going so he better come >:T

Dragonz7

Smash Apprentice
Cool, cool I haven't tried 2.5 yet. Also trying to switch to marth in P:M.

I'm definitely going for a few hours :)

Do you guys usually run P:M side tourney?

Crusayer

Smash Lord
MARTHBERTA IN FULL EFFECT.

If people actually show up for PM, the tournament will start earlier. If it's still the brawl people only, PM tournament will start at like 7 (ie, after brawl is over lol)

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I'll be there for the next tournament.

I bought one more controller and I'm gonna be training myself to stop clawing the analog. So long story short...I won't burn through controllers like I used to.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
So I just bought a Wii to HDMI converter (not true HD but upscales 480p into 720/1080 and from the 100+ reviews, works great). When I get it and if it works the way it should, I'll be bringing another set-up for our monthlies, ASUS Monitor and Wii.

Stephan, if it works (I'll letcha know), you should get one too so the monitor you usually use for Persona/BlazBlue can be used as another Smash set-up.

http://www.amazon.ca/HDMI-1080P-Output-Upscaling-Converter/dp/B007PY3ZPG/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_t_1_PR6X

--

I also got another video capture card that won't dim the screen and has auto-streaming. Gonna test it all out in a bit to see (Roxio Game Capture HD Pro), and if it all checks out, another streaming set-up that may even be in full (sorta) HD.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Are you sure about that upscaling? The fact that it has to process the signal would probably delay the input wouldn't it?

And lemme know if that capture card is good or not. I'm looking to upgrade my low quality dazzle to something a little more crisp.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Are you sure about that upscaling? The fact that it has to process the signal would probably delay the input wouldn't it?

And lemme know if that capture card is good or not. I'm looking to upgrade my low quality dazzle to something a little more crisp.
Actually, according to all the reviews and the description of the product, it's not a true upscaling. It's not even real 720/1080p. In the process of moving from analog into digital, it's just a 480p image on your TV/Monitor, though in that process it's cleaned up a bit to work in a 720/1080p setting. I'd relate it best to what the Dolphin Emulator does. There'll always be delay to some extent on an HDTV, but if this works on the monitors like I'm suspecting it should, that'd mean no input delay that effects us as Smash players.

The settings on your Wii will still read as 480p since it's impossible to make it true HD, but read in that setting through the converter, it cleans stuff up. From what I read, it doesn't help GameCube games much, but there is a subtle difference for Wii games. ...granted that's not why I'm getting this anyways since just using an HDMI for game capture is a sound idea.

--

As for the game capture card, it has component in/outputs and HDMI. No old school composites so your dazzle will still be best for capturing Wii footage on CRTs.

...unless my set-up DOES work and then we can migrate into Monitor/HDMI game capture/streaming territory.

I was a sceptic at first but a LOT of people like the Roxio Game Capture HD Pro (the one that I just got), reviewers and consumers alike. And for $149 and editing/streaming to twitchtv built right in, it's a pretty good price. Lots of video, audio and image options too.

It'll work for XBox, PS3 (need to use component cables into the capture card, then HDMI out into the TV/monitor), Wii, WiiU and PC.

Again I'll let you know how it goes. The Wii test will have to wait until I get my stuff I ordered in.

[EDIT]

Oh, and one more thing. The ability to use your own headset/microphone/whatever while recording for streaming of just capturing is built right in.

Yoshara

Smash Lord
I heard that, supposedly, the wiiU in Wii mode can be used to remove the delay from upscaling.

I should probably just try it.
It didn't feel like there was any delay when I tried it, but you have to remember that there are no GC controller ports on the Wii U, so you would have to use either the CC or the Wiimote and Nunchuck.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I heard that, supposedly, the wiiU in Wii mode can be used to remove the delay from upscaling.

I should probably just try it.
The WiiU doesn't upscale Wii titles, only blowing up 480p resolutions, though in some cases there's a SLIGHT cleanup I see in some titles like for Skyward Sword. Again, I'll letcha know how this one works out too.

^I'm highly skeptical of both of those, but I'm definitely interested in hearing the results.
You'll be one of the first to know. 'Cause if there's like, literally no difference at all with the input delay, this could advance how we record older Smash Bros. games to look better for streams.

brningpyre

Smash Lord
You can use Rockband (for the Wii) to test the delay (and you can rent it from Movie Studio on the south-side if you don't own it). It gives you the lag in ms, and each frame is 16 2/3 ms (I think). As long as the delay is less than 1 frame, it's on par with the negligible CRT lag. As long as it's less than 2-3 frames, it's good enough for EVO competitors.

I'm skeptical, but interested.

Also, Brandon, it's not the capture card that dims the video input, it's splitting the signal without amplification. You can always brighten up the image again at the capture card stage, but you'll lose some picture quality.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
You can use Rockband (for the Wii) to test the delay (and you can rent it from Movie Studio on the south-side if you don't own it). It gives you the lag in ms, and each frame is 16 2/3 ms (I think). As long as the delay is less than 1 frame, it's on par with the negligible CRT lag. As long as it's less than 2-3 frames, it's good enough for EVO competitors.

I'm skeptical, but interested.

Also, Brandon, it's not the capture card that dims the video input, it's splitting the signal without amplification. You can always brighten up the image again at the capture card stage, but you'll lose some picture quality.
Great to know, Keith. I'll definitely have to test it out when I get it hooked up. From what I've read, typical response times for black-white-black in LCD displays are 8 to 16 ms (not the lower gray-to-gray), but hopefully this doesn't factor into the input lag. My monitor's got a 2 MS on gray-to-gray, so if this does check out, woohoo.

And yeah, I know that it's splitting without amplification. That was the problem with the Dazzle. I could use it but would need that amped up splitter like you have. With the Roxio Game Capture HD Pro though, I won't need one of those amped splitters. Using the splitters on my old Dazzle it didn't dim the display on the recorded footage on the computer. just the display on the TV while playing.

[EDIT]

Aaand so far from what I've been reading around, no input lag either, testing on rhythm games and all. Things are looking good.

[EDIT #2]

By a show of posts, who'd be down for hitting up EVO? I looked online (if only briefly) and I saw flights that were going for $399 (now $439) to Vegas, and to stay at the hotel in a 2 queen-size bedroom with 4 people would only cost about $500 in total at the EVO venue.

Top Bottom