• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
YOU KNOW, I kind of wonder if there would be a technical limitation with that ability. I mean, I THINK that I know how it would be handled, at least in a minimalistic way, but I'm hardly an expert so what would I know. I can imagine a problem they would run into is the speed of the animation. IT COULD BE ANIMATED, but for a game like Smash it might be impractical to have an ability that requires so much GOING ON for attacks that rarely even last one second.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Those icons are really nice, Onyx! If you're taking requests, maybe Muddy Mole? I can never find any good 3D-ish art of him...

But yeah, Mach Rider would be quite epic. Post-apocalyptic badass biker with a chain and gatlin gun equipped bike? Nice.

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
Those icons are really nice, Onyx! If you're taking requests, maybe Muddy Mole? I can never find any good 3D-ish art of him...

But yeah, Mach Rider would be quite epic. Post-apocalyptic badass biker with a chain and gatlin gun equipped bike? Nice.

Thank you! :)

Here it is:

MAN. There isn't an image of 3D muddy mole. :laugh:

It took some work, but I made one to use for the Icon!

I really hope you like it considering you're a big supporter! haha

I also hope it works (:

D

Deleted member

@Onyx Oblivion: That was awesome and it's a nice 3-D image you've made.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
@Onyx Oblivian those icons are sweet. i posted in your other thread with these, but i cant find it now. I'd love to see a Paper Mario and a Ghirahim if you have time

D

Deleted member

Might I suggest using the artwork from Sticker Star that gives him a more "realistic" and 3D-ish look?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Those really do look nice, man! Great work!

D

Deleted member

Spydr_Enzo said:
True... but neither series are very relevant at this point in time anyway. When Melee was made, Star Fox was a far more popular series than F-Zero, constituting Falco's inclusion. When the Brawl roster was made, the Star Fox series was still going (somewhat) strong, constituting Wolf's inclusion, although it spiraled shortly after that. Can't say the same for F-Zero.

You're right about that last comment, though. If Smash continues on and the roster continues to grow, three reps isn't out of the question.
I think the window of opportunity for F-zero to get a third rep has closed. Sakurai stated that "we've probably already reached the limit in quanity" in how big the roster will get. He was probably referring to SSB4's mostly final roster when saying that (contrary to what most would think, I doubt he was referencing Brawl as not many embrace the idea of a sub-44 characters roster including transformation), so the increase we get will probably be all we get for a Smash game. I honestly can't see them justifying a third F-zero rep with a roster that looks to be anywhere from forty-eight to fifty-six characters when we don't even know if F-zero will even get a newcomer.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I think the window of opportunity for F-zero to get a third rep has closed. Sakurai stated that "we've probably already reached the limit in quanity" in how big the roster will get. He was probably referring to SSB4's mostly final roster when saying that (contrary to what most would think, I doubt he was referencing Brawl as not many embrace the idea of a sub-44 characters roster including transformation), so the increase we get will probably be all we get for a Smash game. I honestly can't see them justifying a third F-zero rep with a roster that looks to be anywhere from forty-eight to fifty-six characters when we don't even know if F-zero will even get a newcomer.
I agree 100% that this time around we will probably get one new rep at most. That said, as the series goes on it's possible we'll get a third.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Skaurai always says that about the roster. We thought the same thing in Brawl. What Sakurai is saying is characters are not the main focus, but he'll still add a lot because he knows that's what people like. He also knows there is a limited poll of them, and that is why we have comments like that.

As for F-Zero, two characters isn't unlikely. Every game has had two series get two characters. This time, it will likely be DK and F-Zero.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I would be more welcoming of an F-Zero newcomer in general if there was another installment in the series. Not that i dont want one in general, but it would make more sense to have another game similar to GX (which i LOVE), and have Goroh or somebody else have a big role, so that it would be recent. We havent had a new F-Zero in what? 10 years? Then i would say its a sure thing

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I would be more welcoming of an F-Zero newcomer in general if there was another installment in the series. Not that i dont want one in general, but it would make more sense to have another game similar to GX (which i LOVE), and have Goroh or somebody else have a big role, so that it would be recent. We havent had a new F-Zero in what? 10 years? Then i would say its a sure thing
I'm wondering if they're holding out on a new installment because they're worried about GX being a tough act to follow.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It could very well be. That game was great.

Now that i look at my comment, i guess any retro character would discount it, but F-Zero isn't retro, it's just a game that hasnt been given a lot of attention, and probably isnt as well known as many of the other series. It just needs a new game to revive it

D

Deleted member

As for F-Zero, two characters isn't unlikely. Every game has had two series get two characters. This time, it will likely be DK and F-Zero.
For different reasons other than just to expand the series.

In 64, we had two Mario and two Pokemon characters. (with another planned one for each, as well as a planned 2nd Kirby and StarFox.)
With Mario, it was literally because you can't represent the Mario Bros. series without both Mario Bros., and Pokemon because of it's popularity being on the rise.

In Melee, excluding clones, we have Peach and Bowser. Both are important characters to the Mario series and were very popular requests for the game.(Bowser being the top character in Sakurai's pre-Melee poll with Peach behind by one vote IIRC.)
Clones have their specific reasons that do not exactly tie into the series they represent.

In Brawl, Meta Knight and Dedede were both widely requested characters since Melee (Dedede since 64), and Sakurai believed it would be the last chance he had to add both in.
Pokemon Trainer was an idea that he had in Melee that he felt would take too much time and resources to make back then, and Lucario was just someone that made perfect sense.

With F-Zero....honestly the only reason to include 2 newcomers is "to expand the series".

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
For different reasons other than just to expand the series.

In 64, we had two Mario and two Pokemon characters. (with another planned one for each, as well as a planned 2nd Kirby and StarFox.)
With Mario, it was literally because you can't represent the Mario Bros. series without both Mario Bros., and Pokemon because of it's popularity being on the rise.

In Melee, excluding clones, we have Peach and Bowser. Both are important characters to the Mario series and were very popular requests for the game.(Bowser being the top character in Sakurai's pre-Melee poll with Peach behind by one vote IIRC.)
Clones have their specific reasons that do not exactly tie into the series they represent.

In Brawl, Meta Knight and Dedede were both widely requested characters since Melee (Dedede since 64), and Sakurai believed it would be the last chance he had to add both in.
Pokemon Trainer was an idea that he had in Melee that he felt would take too much time and resources to make back then, and Lucario was just someone that made perfect sense.

With F-Zero....honestly the only reason to include 2 newcomers is "to expand the series".
I disagree. Black Shadow is highly requested in Japan and Samurai Goroh makes sense and is a good character overall. With those two, two additions doesn't seem likely.

D

Deleted member

He's not THAT highly requested. He's just more than any other F-Zero candidate, and as others have repeatedly said, it's either to take Ganon's old moveset or just because of his anime voice.

If Brawl didn't have even a passing mention for Black Shadow other than a trophy, which was closer to the end of the anime (2004 vs. 2008, with 2005 being when the roster was being decided upon), it surely seems unlikely to influence Smash 4 at all, which is 2014 at the earliest. 10 years.

Black Shadow doesn't get quite as much requests as previous examples I gave (Meta Knight, Dedede, Bowser, Peach, Lucario, etc.)

There's also to consider that Sakurai may find Goroh not worth it to try making up a moveset for like he did Falcon. Goroh is just some muscular fat guy with a sword; at least B. Shadow has his anime powers to work with and the energy bonding chains and clone spawning from GX.

As much as I would love to see both Goroh and B. Shadow, I'm not going to delude myself into believing both have a chance together. It's one or the other, or neither.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The only way I see both being playable is if Goroh is one of the first newcomers decided upon, and one of the starters used frequently in promotion (unlikely) and Black Shadow is a last-minute semi-clone. And even that is quite the long shot, though I'd say it wouldn't be impossible. Them both having new original movesets I very much doubt.

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
Samurai Goroh would most likely be given his own original moveset, Black Shadow i imagine would take over Ganondorf's previous Captain Falcon replica moveset. Also, what about Deathborn? :troll:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I want to see Black Shadow impale someone on those bull horns of his.

:phone:

ViperGold42

Smash Lord
okay anyone here......change that Megaman fanboys.....give me 1 LEGIT reason why Megaman BELONGS in Smash? If you want Megaman in a fighting game, go play the Marvel vs. Capcom series which has him with more weapons and options and in smash that will get watered down to the basics.

D

Deleted member

@ViperGold42: But only as an alt. in UMvC3. :troll:

But seriously, you could make the same excuse for Snake and Sonic. Look where they ended up.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
okay anyone here......change that Megaman fanboys.....give me 1 LEGIT reason why Megaman BELONGS in Smash? If you want Megaman in a fighting game, go play the Marvel vs. Capcom series which has him with more weapons and options and in smash that will get watered down to the basics.
A third party character with a ton of popularity, requests, and a rich Nintendo history perhaps?

Also, weren't you the guy who wanted Obi Wan a few months back, despite the impossibility? If you want Star Wars characters, go play Soul Calibur, where they can actually, and have, appeared and wouldn't have to be deemed impossible.:troll:

(If this wasn't you I apologize...I tend to mix people up...)

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
A third party character with a ton of popularity, requests, and a rich Nintendo history perhaps?

Also, weren't you the guy who wanted Obi Wan a few months back, despite the impossibility? If you want Star Wars characters, go play Soul Calibur, where they can actually, and have, appeared and wouldn't have to be deemed impossible.:troll:

(If this wasn't you I apologize...I tend to mix people up...)
I think his Clone Trooper avy is a dead give away.

D

Deleted member

Skaurai always says that about the roster. We thought the same thing in Brawl. What Sakurai is saying is characters are not the main focus, but he'll still add a lot because he knows that's what people like. He also knows there is a limited poll of them, and that is why we have comments like that.

I do recall Sakurai stating something like that pre-Brawl in regards to him wanting to change direction, but I don't think he stated that he'd "reached" the limit with the roster pre-Brawl. Would be nice to be proven wrong though.

As for double additions to a franchise, I don't think following pattern is a reliable indicator when we have only three games to look at. Going by this logic, Star Fox should be guarantee four character because it's gotten one each game and Pokemon should be guarantee eight characters.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Samurai Goroh would most likely be given his own original moveset, Black Shadow i imagine would take over Ganondorf's previous Captain Falcon replica moveset. Also, what about Deathborn? :troll:
Deathborn's awesome, but Black Shadow is more widely known and is a recurring villain, not only in games but also in the anime. Plus his(Black Shadow's) name is slightly less Nineties anti-hero sounding.

Even though it would be just as insulting to Black Shadow to give him Ganondorf's old moveset as it was to give Ganondorf those moves originally, I do think that it's possible that will be the only reason some people "want" him included.

JPW

Smash Ace
i actually think Black Shadow could have a unique moveset i have a few ideas for him:

Bull charge: this is basically a running headbut. I thought if that doesn't work a shoulder charge would be fine.

Electric Charge: A Ball of energy that turns into a rope and brings the opponent closer to you kind of like Scorpion's Spear.
In F-zero GX Story Mode when he's facing Captain Falcon he has this ball of Energy built up when he shoots it it becomes a rope and ties up Captain Falcon.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
i actually think Black Shadow could have a unique moveset i have a few ideas for him:

Bull charge: this is basically a running headbut. I thought if that doesn't work a shoulder charge would be fine.

Electric Charge: A Ball of energy that turns into a rope and brings the opponent closer to you kind of like Scorpion's Spear.
In F-zero GX Story Mode when he's facing Captain Falcon he has this ball of Energy built up when he shoots it it becomes a rope and ties up Captain Falcon.
I think Goroh would be better, but with moves like these, and even have a bull/electric moveset, thatd be so great! F-Zero needs a rep for how long it's been in the series

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
i actually think Black Shadow could have a unique moveset
Anyone can have an unique moveset or a semi-cloned one, even the most obvious of the clones, such as Dr. Mario or Toon/Young Link can.

Example for Dr. Mario:

Neutral B- Megavitamins- Same as in Melee
Side B- Virus- Doc will take out a bottle of viruses and will shake it, creating a random colored viruses, not unlike King Dedede does
Up B- Super Doctor Punch- Pretty much the same is in Melee, but coins will no longer pop out of your opponents and the name is also different
Down B- Megavitamin Bottle- Dr. Mario would take out his Megavitamins bottle and would absorb all kinds of projectiles to convert them into more Megavitamins to then shower them in pills, not unlike Mr. G&W's Oil Panic, except that instead of Oil, it would be pills.

Doc could also keep his Doctor Tornado if Mario keeps his F.L.U.D.D.

D

Deleted member

I actually have a "Nintendo Puzzle Collection" themed specials list I will post in Doc's thread later.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
He's not THAT highly requested. He's just more than any other F-Zero candidate, and as others have repeatedly said, it's either to take Ganon's old moveset or just because of his anime voice.

If Brawl didn't have even a passing mention for Black Shadow other than a trophy, which was closer to the end of the anime (2004 vs. 2008, with 2005 being when the roster was being decided upon), it surely seems unlikely to influence Smash 4 at all, which is 2014 at the earliest. 10 years.

Black Shadow doesn't get quite as much requests as previous examples I gave (Meta Knight, Dedede, Bowser, Peach, Lucario, etc.)

There's also to consider that Sakurai may find Goroh not worth it to try making up a moveset for like he did Falcon. Goroh is just some muscular fat guy with a sword; at least B. Shadow has his anime powers to work with and the energy bonding chains and clone spawning from GX.

As much as I would love to see both Goroh and B. Shadow, I'm not going to delude myself into believing both have a chance together. It's one or the other, or neither.
The flaw in your analysis is you are assuming only the top guys get in. As far as request go, the most popular characters are: Ridley, Mewtwo, Roy, Dixie, King K Rool, Megaman, and Little Mac (though he is debatable). Outside of them, everyone else is fair game. There are no more Peachs or Bowsers. Besides the few I just listed, there really aren't many must have characters.

As the series has gone on, the Nintendo series the game draws on have branched out. They went more towards the lesser known series. The strength of the characters determines their inclusion more than anything else. Goroh is a strong character, and so is Black Shadow. I'm sure you'll say "Yeah, but they aren't Meta-Knight strong." But, of course, Meta-Knight, and the other characters you mentioned, are already in the game. We're expanding outwards, which includes the under represented series. We have to get characters from somewhere.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
What about Isaac? Wasn't he pretty highly requested too? Just wondoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom