• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
i'd love for Doctor Mario to be back. Just not as his own character slot. Especially if they can edit him as an alternate costume for Mario with megavitamins instead of fireballs

EDIT: nice! post #1000. like a boss

D

Deleted member

ITT: More ignorants that don't understand why making Dr. Mario a simple costume is a horrible decision.

EDIT: Before anyone flips, "ignorant" is not an insult. It would be if I were to say "idiots", but being called ignorant just means you simply lack the knowledge, information, or awareness for a certain subject (this case being the issue of Dr. Mario). It has no bearing on mental capability.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
ITT: More ignorants that don't understand why making Dr. Mario a simple costume is a horrible decision.
This is a bit rude >.>

I think there is now way doc deserves his own spot. I think It's a horrible decision. I think it was a scrambling last minute entry to melee, a deserved cut in Brawl, and a waste of time and thought for Sm4sh. Focus on new characters, plox.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
i get that it wouldnt make sense for Dr. Mario to throw fireballs or use the cape or anything. But regardless, in Melee, besides the effects his moves had, he was almost exactly the same as Mario. In the 4th installment of Smash Bros, i see hardly any room for clones, especially if he is just Mario in a doctor outfit.

I mean hey, i loved Dr.Mario in Melee. He was one of my favorites. However, unless he is completely different, or done differently, there is no reason to include him as a seperate character. I mean he IS Mario in a lab coat basically. I'm not sure how easy it would be for the developers to change the fireballs to vitamins just because of a costume change, but it wouldnt bother me either way. i just want new characters lol

D

Deleted member

Makes pefect sense. It's near impossible to tell sarcasm on the Internet unless it is blatantly obvious.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Yes, let's all leave the horrible cut Melee characters such as Roy and Mewtwo behind and let's concentrate on great newcomers such as Krystal and Tingle.
Those ones already got cut. Most melee characters were cut for good reason. The only one that I feel should be revived is Mewtwo. Stop clinging to the past, soon melee will be two games old and people will ask, 'who's roy?'

I would prefer Krystal to Roy any day.

One's original.

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
Those ones already got cut. Most melee characters were cut for good reason. The only one that I feel should be revived is Mewtwo. Stop clinging to the past, soon melee will be two games old and people will ask, 'who's roy?'

I would prefer Krystal to Roy any day.

One's original.
Of course, because if she uses her staff she will have a 100% original moveset and will never be a semi/clone of Fox.
Also, Fire Emblem Awakening is just around the corner and Roy is a DLC for it, I'm pretty sure that'll get some attention.

Most melee characters were cut for good reason.
Mind telling me what was this reason ?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Mind telling me what was this reason ?
Filler clones. This is more blunt with Dr. Mario, Pichu, and Young Link though. Roy was also a clone, but was worked on more then the other three characters, especially more so then Pichu and Young Link since both were absent in Brawl's coding (Young Link is justified since he was replaced by Toon Link).

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
What Habanero said. If you look at some of the Melee related links in the Directory thread, Sakurai outright states that the clone characters in Melee (Dr. Mario, Pichu, Roy, Y.Link, Ganondorf, Falco) were all added to buff up the roster, which he thought would be better than adding one more unique character (speculated to be Dedede).

As a side note, that focus on the roster is one of the things I doubt we'll be seeing with Smash 4, hense Sakurai originally saying that the roster wouldn't be as big of a focus this time.

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
Filler clones. This is more blunt with Dr. Mario, Pichu, and Young Link though. Roy was also a clone, but was worked on more then the other three characters, especially more so then Pichu and Young Link since both were absent in Brawl's coding (Young Link is justified since he was replaced by Toon Link).
Even though Melee had the filler clones, the only ones who Sakurai actually wanted to cut were Pichu, because he was a joke character, and Young Link who just was replaced by Toon Link.
Dr. Mario, Roy, Falco and Ganondorf also were filler, but they all were meant to stay; Ganon and Falco stayed, while Roy and Dr. Mario were cut due to the time constraints.
So, yeah, if 'most' characters mean only 2, then yes, I agree with you, samusrules93.

D

Deleted member

1. Paris is not the same type of DLC; he's only a Spotpass character.
2. Ike is more than likely returning anyway.
3. Lyn was not a Smash veteran, nor is she a hugely requested character, so no, logic is not the same for her as it is for Roy.

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
So is Lyn, Marth, Ike and Paris

So by that logic Lyn also has a chance and Ike could be returning. And Paris could be a newcomer too.
Dude, Ike is like, the most popular FE character after Marth in Japan; I'd be surprised if he didn't return.
Paris is Spotpass and Lyn isn't a veteran nor is as popular as Roy.

JPW

Smash Ace
don't say those things about Lyn. She's a hell lot sexier than Roy.
And Smash needs more females.

(note: sarcasm. I didn't really care if Lyn gets in. I just want to **** on Roy cause i never liked him. And i amazed by how much everyone else does like him.)

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Smash needs more females! There are plenty of awesome nintendo girls!
I'd say there will be at least 40-50 characters this time, with the original 12 returning, at least one addition to each important series, and will have at least 4 third party characters. Sonic and Snake will return, the Sonic series may get a second character(probably Shadow or Tails)but wont get 3, Metal Gear Solid will not get another character.
The other third parties will most likely be Namco, Capcom, or Square-Enix. Megaman, Pac Man, some soul calibur or tales of symphonia character... Does any one consider Geno Square-Enix?
I'd love to see the return of Mewtwo! Make him faster and heavier but still retain his Floatiness. And give hime more Psychic based moves as well!
Paper Mario & Ridley would be awesome!
Getting back to my point, as far as females go Fire Emblem has many to choose from,
Theres Ashley, Mona, or Kat & Ana from Wario Ware,
Zelda's got Midna, Saria, Malon, Ruto, Impa, Nabooru, and Maple,
Mario's got Daisy, Rosalina, Birdo,
DKs got Dixie and Tiny,
theres also Balloon Kid, Lip, and Animal Crosser and alot more Im sure Im forgetting! They are all good choices in my opinion and Sakurai could pick a few.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Smash needs more females! There are plenty of awesome nintendo girls!
I'd say there will be at least 40-50 characters this time, with the original 12 returning, at least one addition to each important series, and will have at least 4 third party characters. Sonic and Snake will return, the Sonic series may get a second character(probably Shadow or Tails)but wont get 3, Metal Gear Solid will not get another character.
The other third parties will most likely be Namco, Capcom, or Square-Enix. Megaman, Pac Man, some soul calibur or tales of symphonia character... Does any one consider Geno Square-Enix?
I'd love to see the return of Mewtwo! Make him faster and heavier but still retain his Floatiness. And give hime more Psychic based moves as well!
Paper Mario & Ridley would be awesome!
Getting back to my point, as far as females go Fire Emblem has many to choose from,
Theres Ashley, Mona, or Kat & Ana from Wario Ware,
Zelda's got Midna, Saria, Malon, Ruto, Impa, Nabooru, and Maple,
Mario's got Daisy, Rosalina, Birdo,
DKs got Dixie and Tiny,
theres also Balloon Kid, Lip, and Animal Crosser and alot more Im sure Im forgetting! They are all good choices in my opinion and Sakurai could pick a few.
But...girls have cooties. :troll:

Edit: For serious though, what Habanero said.

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman

I made you guys these roster icons for your roster maker/rosters :)

If you have a mild OCD like I do, you probably at some point wanted newcomer icons to match the "blue" of the veteran icons as well as have some of them use "3D" artwork instead of an illustration. I made them so that the rosters posted here looked very "cohesive" alongside the veteran roster icons that exist right now hahah

I searched and looked very thoroughly through the corners of the internet to find "3D" models/renders of newcomers so that they match with veteran roster icons :) The only one I could find one of was Shulk hahah so I tried my best to get him to blend in x]

As far as characters that I made "newcomer" blue roster Icons for, I picked all/most of the top contenders as far as I've seen through the boards/various polls.

But as you can probably tell I threw in some biased picks as well x) Dr. Robotnik I threw in just because :laugh:

They're all individual images so you can "right click" and save them, and put them in your "Roster Maker Images" folder! (They're mostly titled with (3D) at the end of the character's names so they don't overwrite any of Oasis' )

But anyway, I really hope you guys like them/use them/Find them useful!

(Btw thanks to Oasis for the templates!)

Also!

Banjo-Kazooie for fun :)

Hope you enjoy them!

User33

Smash Journeyman
I made you guys these roster icons for your roster maker/rosters :)

If you have a mild OCD like I do, you probably at some point wanted newcomer icons to match the "blue" of the veteran icons as well as have some of them use "3D" artwork instead of an illustration. I made them so that the rosters posted here looked very "cohesive" alongside the veteran roster icons that exist right now hahah

I searched and looked very thoroughly through the corners of the internet to find "3D" models/renders of newcomers so that they match with veteran roster icons :) The only one I could find one of was Shulk hahah so I tried my best to get him to blend in x]

As far as characters that I made "newcomer" blue roster Icons for, I picked all/most of the top contenders as far as I've seen through the boards/various polls.

But as you can probably tell I threw in some biased picks as well x) Dr. Robotnik I threw in just because :laugh:

They're all individual images so you can "right click" and save them, and put them in your "Roster Maker Images" folder! (They're mostly titled with (3D) at the end of the character's names so they don't overwrite any of Oasis' )

But anyway, I really hope you guys like them/use them/Find them useful!

(Btw thanks to Oasis for the templates!)
These are awesome, thanks!

D

Deleted member

@Onyx Oblivion: Awesome. Just make me one for Mach Rider and I'm set.

D

Deleted member

Hmm, what is the original image for that? Also, if you can, do you mind too terribly making a version that is like the Melee redesign?

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, what is the original image for that? Also, if you can, do you mind too terribly making a version that is like the Melee redesign?
I made it myself :c hahah I could provide a higher-res, bigger version of the original image if you really want :)

and sure! I'll give it a shot!

If it ends up not working I'll try to find a High-Res version of the Melee Redesign haha

EDIT:

Since no one has replied, here's the "Melee" version Golden :) (although I prefer the "Classic" look, personally :laugh: )

Hope this works to your liking!

Also, me and my bad photoshop habits, working on the Melee one overwrote the original image I used for the "classic" Mach Rider roster image :[

D

Deleted member

Nice. I rather like the Melee redesign, as it gives off a badass biker vibe.

D

Deleted member

I do have to agree with that. :)

Melee version does look like he'd whip out a chain of some kind and start smashing people with it hahah

:phone:

:phone:
I know, right? It just screams "EAT CHAIN!"
Sadly, some people don't get that....

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Imagine if he had a chain at his side, and he made it explode, link by link, and reform in his grip...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom