• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Who needs Mario when we got Baby Bros.? Jk.

But really, every character should get a baby counterpart.

But really, really, I'm happy that Dillon's getting a sequel.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
But really, every character should get a baby counterpart.
Some sort of baby spin-off Super Smash Bros. game?

Hmm... well let's get Super Smash Bros. Xtreme Volleyball, Super Smash Bros. Kart, Super Smash Bros. Swoon, Super Smash Bros. Puzzle Fighter, and Super Smash Bros. vs. Capcom out of the way first. Then we'll worry about the babies, especially for the Yoshis health.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
A like button. Woah.
Great, now this place is like Reddit.

There were a lot of characters like that, but nobody exactly screamed "definite shoo-in". There were doubters for pretty much everything, but some were more logical then other.
Pretty much, though its more that a lot of people tried to create doubt for someone else favorite characters. Krystal fans tried to do this for Wolf.

Welcome back, guys!

The recent Nintendo Direct revealed a ton of games that could be repped in SSB4 as stages, stickers, or trophies. Here's few questions in regards to Dillon. Do any of you think the Dillon's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger raises Dillon's chances as being playable at all? After seeing firearms being used in the trailer, do you think Sakurai would change his mind on the "no bullet shooting guns" policy?
I don't think so. If Dillon was in, it would have been decided for now. Also, Dillon doesn't use guns so this is not an issue.

I think Dillon is a dark horse. Could happen. Not expecting it.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Dillon could be a unique character. But I fear the dev team may think he might be obscure for some (but, then again, we had Lucas in Brawl...).

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Obscurity is not exactly a problem, especially since the Average Joe is only familiar with Mario and Pokemon characters. Super smash Bros. appeals to the Nintendo fans first, and the average people second.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Obscurity is not exactly a problem, especially since the Average Joe is only familiar with Mario and Pokemon characters. Super smash Bros. appeals to the Nintendo fans first, and the average people second.
This.

We get obscure characters all the time. Dillon has a decent shot.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
This.

We get obscure characters all the time. Dillon has a decent shot.

The obscure characters (obscure to Nintendo fans, not the average gamer, because as Habanero said, they already aren't familiar with a larger portion of the roster) we have gotten in the past have all be retro (or have got in through extenuating circumstances). Non-retro series are usually added due to their overall impact, prominence, and popularity, which Dillon isn't at the level of some other currently non-represented series. Dillon's shot isn't non-existent, but I'd hardly call it "decent".

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I suppose you're correct.

I do remember Sakurai saying that he's found the right target audience of Smash... whatever that means.

Speaking of Sakurai... check this out: http://www.gamespot.com/news/sakurai-some-game-stories-honestly-irksome-6403908
I swear, I have no idea what goes on this man's head. The thing that irks me is the criticism of story elements in RPGs. To me, story is part of the overall experience in an RPG so I accept something like Aerith's death as part of the game. Likewise, being stuck in an unwinnable battle is just part of the overall experiences. I feel he's being way too critical of other games while praising his own works.

Maybe it's just me, but it's that kind of arrogance that has really irked me with him.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
I would call it decent. He does have a few things going for him. He is a character that gets a lot of praise on his design for one. So people generally think he looks cool. That's welcome in smash. Also I remember reading something about how Sakurai was looking for new, cool faces too.
He's also a really good representative of the eShop, or more loosely DLC, which Nintendo has just gotten into lately. So that might help as well.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I swear, I have no idea what goes on this man's head. The thing that irks me is the criticism of story elements in RPGs. To me, story is part of the overall experience in an RPG so I accept something like Aerith's death as part of the game. Likewise, being stuck in an unwinnable battle is just part of the overall experiences. I feel he's being way too critical of other games while praising his own works.
What do you mean? Games are meant to be played. he's just saying the gameplay should fit into that. Not sure what the issue is.

Maybe it's just me, but it's that kind of arrogance that has really irked me with him.
He's not arrogant. You don't like him, so you project negative connotations onto him.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Yeah, it's almost like we've gotten a whole new thread, in a way, since we're no longer at 800-something pages.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Well, it's gonna take a while for me to get used to this...
Anyway, I think Dillon's chances are decent; if not a character, I can easily see him as an Assist Trophy like Little Mac and Saki. I personally want Dillon in a lot, but not at the expense of, say, Palutena and K. Rool.

Huh, can't see who's viewing the page now. I miss that.

D

Deleted member

Why can't I multi-reply? What's with the Reddit-like "like" button? Why can't I collapse text anymore? What's up with my old posts, they're all scrambled? Trophies? WHAT!! I also got a referral for swearing
you would think that because of our new ownership we'd do away with that stupid rule
? JUST WHAT IS GOING ON HERE??

Anyway... That aside.

Year of Luigi huh? Just in time I say. I also liked how there's a second Dillon game on the way. I dunno, but I feel he's the most recognized eShop character, I think this might affect his Smash chances, which would be cool I think. Oh, for WiiU & 3DS owners, I get a serious Steam vibe from the eShop, can anyone confirm this?

So, what were you guys doing while the site was down?

I actually got a lot of stuff done... Oh btw Sonic Generations is awesome. Especially with those mods. If only more game were on PC.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Sort of where I'm at right now. Pretty much only expecting the bare essentials at this point.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
I got to finishing Skyward Sword, played SSF2, checked the site, played Brawl, played SSF2, Brawl, checked the site...
Yeah, I feel that Pushmo and Dillon's Rolling Western best represent the eShop. Maybe Dillon as a character/assist trophy and a Pushmo stage? Also, I came up with a way to impliment the Poltergust into Luigi's moveset. I don't want to get rid of what I replaced, but it further seperates Luigi from Mario.
I gave Luigi the Poltergust as his standard B move. I originally used the following concept for Toon Link's Gust Jar. Basically, you can do two things. After pressing B, the Poltergust turns on. Now, you can either suck in or blow out. (Blow out being > and Suck in being <. This changes with the direction you're facing.) Sucking in can act as a grab of sorts, while Blowing can be used for edge guarding in a way that F.L.U.D.D. could not; by blowing air to push opponents back. It also deals a bit of damage.
Thoughts? I like the concept, but I don't think it will ever replace the Fireball. But on the other hand, the Fireball is one of Luigi's few "clone" moves. I considered >B, but I really like the Luigi Cannon...

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I've been rather out of the loop, but I know he has an Eshop game, and I hear it has a sequel coming? I wouldn't hold my breathe, but I can see him as one of the edgier additions. He would probably make a cool level though, for sure.

And thanks, nice to be back :-)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Big monkey kung fu demonstration yesterday, studying for exams and seeking career counseling. I hope to have a video of the demonstration sooner or later.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Why can't I multi-reply? What's with the Reddit-like "like" button? Why can't I collapse text anymore? What's up with my old posts, they're all scrambled? Trophies? WHAT!! I also got a referral for swearing
you would think that because of our new ownership we'd do away with that stupid rule
? JUST WHAT IS GOING ON HERE??

Anyway... That aside.

Year of Luigi huh? Just in time I say. I also liked how there's a second Dillon game on the way. I dunno, but I feel he's the most recognized eShop character, I think this might affect his Smash chances, which would be cool I think. Oh, for WiiU & 3DS owners, I get a serious Steam vibe from the eShop, can anyone confirm this?

I actually got a lot of stuff done... Oh btw Sonic Generations is awesome. Especially with those mods. If only more game were on PC.
Huh, I agree with ManlySpirit for once.
I can multi-reply just fine. Click on the "reply" button under each post you wanna quote. It'll show up in the field where you type a quick response out below.

Smooth Criminal

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
You guys suck at this new site thing.

Smooth Criminal

P.S. I wasn't doing much, in all honesty. Hanging around, playing Smash with my roommate on occasion. Working. *shrugs.* I was in the IRC chat a few times, but nothing notable really happened there.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Huh, I agree with ManlySpirit for once.
Sometimes he spews crap, but he sometimes spews logic. Basically he's just like any of us.

Also related to the Dillon thing, but I would main Dillon, Takamaru, and Pit at the same time with the basis around a cultural/historical theme. It's probably my inner historian talking, but whatever.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Nobody knows the maximum resolution for a signature here?

I want dillon to make it. He seems so aesthetically able, and his game just SPITS out a move set for him. Like Loz did for link. Slashes and rolls, ya know?

nessokman

Smash Lord
We could really use another mother rep.After all, mother always gets a lower amount of trophies.Claus/masked man would be ideal.

Lucas, ness, and claus/masked man would be perfect representation. :D

I don't get why people think lucas is so obscure, after all the translation patch for the Mother 3 ROM got a crap load of downloads, and alot of uber famous let's players have played it. Hardly obscure.

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
I don't get why people think lucas is so obscure, after all the translation patch for the Mother 3 ROM got a crap load of downloads, and alot of uber famous let's players have played it. Hardly obscure.
When Brawl was released Mother 3's translation patch was still in development

IAm2Sarcastic4U

Smash Journeyman
THE METROID SERIES BETTER GET ITS LONG OVERDUE 2ND REP (Zero Suit Samus doesn't count in my opinion) BEFORE MOTHER GETS A 3RD ONE!!! :mad:

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Awakening really is amazing. The 3DS is like my favorite console now, they're dedicating so much time and effort to making their fans happy/money.
I love this new RPG and how it's got graphics similar to the first super Mario rpg.
Also, the last ranger ****chyea.
Decent sig resolution anybody?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
The more I play Awakening, the more I warm up to the idea of Chromikins being playable. I'd be fine if he manages to be unique from Ike and Marth with several attacks based on the weapons he can use than just the Falchion.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Good to see the site back as well as a few other people. Am on Winter Break for the next week, so I'll mostly be blasting through the games on my to do list. Can't say I'm liking the new site at the moment, haven't really figured out how to navigate everything yet, kinda bummed to see no active user box/icon, also am curious to see whats going on with the social groups (if we even have that feature anymore).

Quick Thoughts:
Chrom: Is definitely not up there with Marth/Ike, but I am now currently betting on him now along with Roy. Honestly I'm seeing him as the next Lucas.
Dillion: Him getting a new game is a bit of a good surprise, haven't played the original, but I think he's guaranteed an AT spot at the very least now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom