• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Display Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GabrieloMiguel
It says 10 newcomer but mewtwo is technically new, also nice size at least for me, and unlocked are the original 12 plus franchises with more than 1 character and not newcomers

Edit: Noxus is there for 2 reasons. The first being I dont like Ridley as a playable character and the second being hes just cool, although any other hunter could do, at least with all the upgrades samus doesn get.

Attachments

Tetraplex

Smash Cadet
Well, I'd hardly call it a realistic roster, but as long as I'm wildly speculating...
Custom Roster 1.png

Possibly some other characters like Viewtiful Joe or Travis Touchdown as DLC, but these I would want on-disc when I bought it.

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
September of '13 or so

My main inspiration for the shape of this roster is Street Fighter Alpha 3. Just pretend Classic Link is Toon Link, since I made the roster before the latter's reveal.

April 21, 2014
???: Hold--I say, hold up.
You mean on a D-Pad?! ...who said that?

AAAAH! MISTY! Have you been hacking into my roster?!
Misty: Hey, have a sense of humor.
Why?
Misty: It's an anti-piracy doodad, ya dolt. Ya knows, to block off anyone trying t' copy the game?
Are you messing with me again?
Misty: Nahp!
Sorry, guys. Terribly sorry, I am. It's just that my favorite Gym Leader over here decided to cause some...deliberate technical difficulties, if you know what I mean.
Misty: "If you know what I meeeeeean." Ha-HA! You sound just like me, man. But I'm gonna be serious; this is some anti-piracy schist right 'ere!
(Sigh) I really don't know how you can both code good, solid copy protection and tear the fourth wall limb from limb. Okay, while Tomboyish Mermaid over here's rationalizing her typical insanity, here's a roster with a pair. :V

Pinkish borders denote hypothetical eShop-only characters. These are Diskun, Dixie Kong, Roy, Sceptile, and Shantae. Other than being a bit over 50 characters (DLC excluded), I decided to go for a far more rational prediction in regards to the main roster. This includes the original Leak Freaks (My own slang for so-called E3 hot picks Villager through Mii) as well as characters that look the most sensible so far.

Personally, I'd like to see what the Daitoryo guy can do if he gets a playable spot.

START

START + DLC

FULL (BAR DLC)

Last edited:

PAPCGyE

Smash Apprentice
My Wish List vs My Prediction list

40 characters:

5 Mario´s: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser and Bowser Jr

4 Zelda´s: Link, Zelda/Sheik, Ganandorf and Toon Link

4 Pokemon´s: Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pkm Trainer 2° Generation and Zoroark

4 DK´s: Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong and K K Rool

4 Star Fox´s: Fox, Falco, Wolf and Krystal

3 Kirby´s: Kirby, Meta Knight and King Dedede

2 Fire Emblem´s: Marth and Lyn

2 Metroid´s: Samus and Sylux

10 Other Nintendo´s: Yoshi, Wario, Ice Climbers, Pit, Olimar, C Falcon, Ness, Mr G&W, Wii Fit Trainer and Villager

2 Non Nintendo´s: Sonic and Megaman

37 characters:

4 Mario´s: Mario, Luigi, Peach and Bowser

4 Zelda´s: Link, Zelda/Sheik, Ganandorf and Toon Link

4 Pokemon´s: Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pkm Trainer 2° Trainer and Mewtwo

3 Dk´s: Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong and Dixie Kong

3 Star Fox´s: Fox, Falco and Krystal

3 Kirby´s: Kirby, Meta Knight and King Dedede

2 Fire Emblem´s: Marth and Lyn

11 Other Nintendo´s: Samus, Yoshi, Wario, Ice Climbers, Pit, Olimar, C Falco, Ness, Mr G&W, Wii Fit Trainer and Villager

2 Non Nintendo´s: Megaman and Sonic

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
SM4SH Speculation Roster (inc. DLC) 3.0 (2) Roster.png

Figured I'd take my shot at a roster. Unlockable vets in red, unlockable newcomers in yellow. The bottom, disjointed line is for post-release DLC.

[collapse=Reasoning behind placements and DLC choices:]
Mario (and related series) takes the top spot since they are the most iconic. Also since they all fit on one row together.

Next comes Zelda and Pokemon, signifying the three biggest series in Nintendo's repertoire, or at least the ones they always include in reveal trailers for Smash games. Zelda and Sheik are still a duo, and the Pokemon Trainer is still the Kanto trainer and thus has the same Pokemon lineup from Brawl (Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard)

Kirby would be the fourth, but due to a tradition whereupon Sakurai seems to like putting Kirby (his own creation) as close to the center of the roster as possible, I opted instead to put the Kirby series on the right so that Kirby would be right next to the random select in the center of the CSS (if not for the random select, Kirby would, in fact, be right in the center of the roster). Star Fox takes the left side, followed by Mii and Ice Climbers as filler positions due to the fact that there wasn't anywhere else to put them with the theme I had developed.

Fire Emblem starts off the fourth row, and this is pretty straightforward - Fire Emblem sword users, check, Shulk, Isaac, Pit = sword users, check. Palutena sits next to Pit and breaks the line, so Samus and Ridley fill the other half of the row, surrounded by fellow captains - namely, Olimar and Captain Falcon. Zero Suit Samus is still included, and the two are now interchangable much like Zelda/Sheik and the Pokemon Trainer Pokemon.

The last row is dedicated primarily to retros. I realize I should have switched Little Mac and Villager for better flow, so that it would be Lucas and Ness for Earthbound reps along with the Villager, another child, beside them (because of his ax and the whole meme that developed from it, I opted to put him underneath the other sword users). Little Mac would then fall alongside Takamaru, his supposed East Meets West rival and former fellow retroite. Wii Fit Trainer, meanwhile starts sits beside them, followed by a three-robot chain of Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B. and Mega Man, who also start begins the 3rd-party reps, namely himself, Sonic, and the Pac-Man ending the roster.

The last row features a total of eleven post-release DLC characters. My reasoning for their inclusion:

Porky because he's a major antagonist in Earthbound/Mother, and while I had previously included the Masked Man on this roster in times past, I am convinced that between the two, Porky would be more interesting, especially as he wouldn't have to rely on PK attacks [so much].

Mike Jones falls beside Porky (the two being under Ness and Lucas for obvious reasons) due to the similarities in both, being that they both use yo-yos. Also, being that he was a Western-only character, it would be good reverse marketing for those over in Japan, in the same lieu of Fire Emblem being introduced to the West.

Chrom because he's seems to be the most-likely Fire Emblem rep to be added after the other three, so he falls here where he'd fall in the same column underneath a fellow RE rep (since the first two spots are taken by Porky and Mike Jones).

Impa because she is the most reoccurring character after the main three, and because as a fellow sheikah, it would be fast and easy to create for her a luigified Sheik moveset (all characters are luigified if taking inspiration from characters already included). So put because she falls in column line with another Zelda rep (since the previous three slots have been taken).

Wonder Red for superhero and awesome potential. After everybody else, there really wasn't room for him anywhere else in the row, so he doesn't really follow after anybody column-wise. There is also really nobody (except possibly Captain Falcon) that he could be a luigified clone of, and he shouldn't be anyways. He would be the most original of the DLC characters (followed by Porky and then Sukapon and Chibi-Robo)

Goku (not the DBZ character) because he's awesome. Personal bias aside, he uses a staff, and has lots of inspiration for a moveset since he's based off of Journey to the West legend. But there's also the possibility that he could be a luigified clone of Krystal (in my roster, I see a trio of Zelda, wielding magic; Krystal, fighting with a staff; and Palutena, fighting with a mixture of her staff/wand and magic, and acting as a buffer in-between the two) due to the staff or possibly even a luigified clone of Palutena. He is placed in his spot for dual reasons: One, he falls in the column with Donkey Kong, a fellow primate, and while he would be better placed underneath Palutena due to her status as a Goddess and his as the Monkey King (as well as better size comparisons with Diddy over Donkey), falling under Pit is a fair compromise.

Sukapon lies beside Goku, the both of them bound by a common, Japan-only exclusivity. As Sukapon is a robot, it would obviously fall underneath another robot, which is why it takes the spot he does over Goku (as Wii Fit Trainer is not a robot). The introduction of Sukapon and Goku, their being Japan-exclusive much in the same vain Fire Emblem was, would serve to bring two awesome characters to the Western Casuals' eyes, the same as Mike Jones would do in reverse. Having come from a fighting game itself, Sukapon has plenty of potential inspiration from its own series, as well as likely being a quick and easy character to model and create due to the simplicity in its design.

Chibi-Robo, also a robot, comes next. I could see him having attacks similar to Pikachu (since both are electricity-based), though on a humanoid body as opposed to on-all-fours, though he would and should not be a luigified clone.

Sylveon next because of being a Gen VI rep (Pichu added for Gen II relevancy, Lucario for Gen IV), though she obviously hasn't been really advertised like Mewtwo's new form or Mega Lucario. Still, she represents the latest in the popular Eevee line, and due to her nature, she could easily be a luigified clone of Ivysaur with a few Jigglypuff Fairy-type references thrown in (as Jigglypuff will likely get retooled a little with new fairy moves). Speaking of, Sylveon falls in line column-wise with Jigglypuff, since both share the Fairy type between themselves.

Sami, of Advance Wars fame, is an interesting case. Originally, I had included her in the main selection in the first form of this roster (her and Isaac were switched in that regard), but found no place for her this time around. That being said, with the advent (in this roster) of Snake not returning, Sami is the only character with enough relevancy to her own series (being on equal footing with Andy as a co-main character in later AW games) and a canonical moveset that would work for her being a luigified clone of Snake, with Advance Wars references in her mvoeset replacing the ill-fitting MGS-based moves Snake has. However, since Snake is not coming back, Sami, even in her lugified state, would be the only thing left of his moveset for those who play as him, and it is for this reason that she falls underneath Sonic (since Sonic and Snake were the two 3rd-party characters in Brawl).

Last, but not least, is Black Shadow. He's here at the end obviously because of Captain Falcon, and he represents a major antagonist role coming from the F-Zero series. Nothing too special in terms of moveset, just the usual form of giving him Ganondorf current moveset and retooling Ganondorf into something more befitting of his Zelda nature (of which he'd have already at release, with Black Shadow coming in later as DLC for those who preferred Ganondorf over Falcon in Brawl). It would definitely fit Black Shadow better, seeing as he and Falcon are from the same series, which would justify their having similar moveset styles.
[/collapse]

A total of 54 roster slots, a nice number. As well as 11 post-release DLC characters (more wishful thinking on my part than actual prediction), for a total of 66, and the Trainer Pokemon and ZZS and Sheik, for a grand total of 70 playable characters. Insanely high, I know. I had to make sacrifices (namely Snake, the only vet cut, and Dillon, who is one of my most-wanted characters and I didn't realize wasn't on the roster until all the slots were full and I had no way to justify his inclusion over anybody else except the Mii. With their inclusion being very likely, however, he had no place, and therefore didn't make the cut (If he was included, he would switch with Ice Climbers due to his status as an anthropomorphic armadillo both fitting visually with the Kirby characters and also the Pokemon characters).

But anyways, thoughts?

No Control

Smash Apprentice
But anyways, thoughts?

Too big a roster I reckon. I don't think we're getting more than 45 characters.

Here's my roster prediction, mostly prediction with obviously my own wants taken into account (haven't made a visual one yet) - newcomers in bold + underlined:

Mario series (5) - Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Toad
Mario spin-offs (2) - Yoshi, Wario
DK series (3) - Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, K. Rool
Zelda series (4) - Link, Zelda, Ganondorf*, Toon Link
Metroid series (2) - Samus, Ridley
Pokemon series (4) - Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Red, Mewtwo**
Star Fox series (2) - Fox, Falco*
Fire Emblem series (2) - Marth, Chrom
Kid Icarus series (2) - Pit, Palutena
Kirby series (3) - Kirby, Meta Knight, Dedede
F-Zero series (1) - Captain Falcon
Pikmin series (1) - Olimar
Mother series (1) - Ness
Punch-Out series (1) - Little Mac
Animal Crossing series (2) - Villager, Tom Nook
Retro/misc. characters (5) - Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., Wii Fit Trainer, Takamaru
3rd party characters (3) - Sonic, Snake, Mega Man

* - de-cloned moveset.
** - returning character cut from Brawl.

Total slots: 43.
Breakdown - 12 from SSB, 9 from Melee, 11 from Brawl, 11 newcomers.
Cuts (4) - Lucas, Ike, Lucario, Wolf.

Thoughts on mine?

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
In my mind this would be the possible roster, the only thing I´m not sure is the exclusion of Toon Link.

.n_n.

10/13/2013

Here is a new one:

19/13/2013

Version 1.3:

.n_n.

DrMcNugget

Smash Apprentice
Mario Series: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Bowser Jr.
Paper Mario Series: Paper Mario
Donkey Kong Series: Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, King K. Rool
Yoshi's Island Series: Yoshi, Baby Mario & Baby Luigi
Warioware Series: Wario
Legend of Zelda Series: Link, Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf, Ghirahim, Toon Link
Metroid Series: Samus, Zero Suit Samus
Kid Icarus: Pit
Kirby Series: Kirby, King Dedede, Meta Knight
Pikmin Series: Olimar
Star Fox Series: Fox, Falco, Krystal
Earthbound Series: Ness, Lucas
Pokemon Series: Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pokemon Trainer 2 (Hoenn), Zoroark
F. Zero Series: Captain Falcon
Fire Emblem Series: Marth, Chrom
Animal Crossing Series: Villager
Professor Layton Series: Professor Layton
Game & Watch Series: Mr. Game & Watch
Ice Climber Series: Ice Climbers
Mach Rider Series: Mach Rider
Wii Fit Series: Wii Fit Trainer
Sonic The Hedgehog Series: Sonic, Tails
Megaman Series: Megaman

Gimj

Smash Journeyman

My roster prediction; don't think I can make it any better.

For those who care, my wishlist:

Pokemon Explanation/Idea:

I think the best way to represent the Pokemon franchise is to have two trainers with three pokemon from older and newer generations. So I thought the best/most fitting of each were Totodile, Grovyle, Charizard and Chespin, Dewott, Infernape. Also, I think the costumes of each trainer should show female/male costumes of all trainers from their generations. So the "Old" Trainer gets male+female costumes from Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow to Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, and the "New" Trainer gets male+female costumes from Pokemon Diamond/Pearl to Pokemon X/Y.

Either that, or one trainer with 6 Pokemon that can be picked in 3s to whatever liking but obeying the "1st evo -> 2nd evo -> 3rd evo rule. This character would have all the male and female costumes from all the games.

chaoswafflez04

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlazingBlaziken4
Well, here's my attempt at a dream/realistic(ish) roster for 45 characters, I had to make some cuts when I decided to just go with 45.

SSB4 Dream Roster.png

Note: ZSS is still included, but not shown.

Key:
Blue – Unlocked Veteran
Red – Locked Veteran
Green – Unlocked Newcomer
Yellow – Locked Newcomer

WARNING: IF YOU DON'T LIKE LONG POSTS INCLUDING REASONING, BE PREPARED FOR WHAT'S COMING.

Cuts:
Sheik – Although she could be returning in the actual game, I cut Sheik because I feel that she isn't really that relevant anymore, only being in a single Legend of Zelda game, while Impa (who I did not include to maintain the roster's size at 45) was in 7 games and Sheik's move set could be given to her if she were to replace Sheik.
Pokémon Trainer – I cut Red because he was a promotional character for FireRed and LeafGreen, which were only 4 years old by the time Brawl was released, and I have replaced him with a spiritual successor to represent the heavily hinted at Ruby and Sapphire remakes, May/Hoenn Pokémon Trainer (Mudkip, Grovyle, and Blaziken)
Lucario – As many others have, I have cut everyone's favorite aura wolf, Lucario, as the 4th generation has come and gone, and we are currently in the 6th generation, where Lucario, despite having a Mega Evolution, is not as relevant as newer Pokémon, and is not as popular as Mewtwo, who can brag about having 2 Mega Evolutions.
Jigglypuff – *Jumps on TV monitor and obtains flame shield* Yes, I have cut one of the original 12 fighters. Despite having a little bit of relevancy again in the 6th generation games with the new Fairy type, I don't really see her returning. Also, Jigglypuff would have not been in Brawl if it weren't for Sonic's inclusion, which allowed Sakurai some time to also include her, Wolf, and Toon Link, who are all only unlockable after Sonic, and she even was the lowest ranked character in the Brawl tier list, meaning that Sakurai may have not really cared for her anymore and just wanted one more character to make the roster a complete rectangle.
Ike – Ike's time in the limelight is up (although he is featured as a DLC character in Awakening), and isn't hero of the month anymore, it's Chrom's turn to shine as he is the notable swordsman of Awakening.
Snake – Sakurai included Snake in Brawl as Kojima is a good friend of his, but Metal Gear games have not appeared on Nintendo consoles as constantly as they used to, and he also seems to lack some support as a returning 3rd party character in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS.

Newcomers:
Toad – First up is the constantly debated over Mario franchise newcomer slot, which I have given to who I personally see as the most likely newcomer, Toad. In Brawl, the members of the "Mario Big 8," which comprises of: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, Wario, DK, and Toad, were all playable, except for Toad. In all of the Mario Kart games after and including Mario Kart 64, all 8 of these characters have been playable in every title, as DK and Wario were not playable in the original, but Toad was. Why Toad over other potential Mario newbies, you ask? Here's a quick summary of Toad vs. others: Bowser Jr.-Toad's been in more games, has been playable in the main series games with more move set potential, and has been around longer. Waluigi-Waluigi is only seen in the side/party/etc. games, and has never stepped foot into any main series games. Paper Mario-Despite having a ton of move set potential and high chances, Toad has been around longer, and the representatives in Smash Bros. really represent the main series.
King K. Rool – Although Dixie Kong may have higher chances now that she returns in Tropical Freeze, K. Rool has had more support than her in the past and may be able to get in with this massive fan support.
Ridley – Ridley isn't TOO BIG to fit into Smash Bros., and besides, Smash Bros. doesn't really follow canon of the main series of all of the games represented in it, so if Bowser can be small, Captain Falcon can fight, and Olimar can be as big as Pikachu, then why can't Ridley be in?
Palutena – Palutena has gained popularity from Kid Icarus: Uprising, can provide another character with a different playstyle with her magic staff o' powers, and more female representation. Also, besides Medusa and Eggplant Wizard really, she's a recurring character that appeared before Uprising, boosting her chances compared to characters introduced in Uprising.
Shulk – Xenoblade Chronicles was a successful game, and Shulk has a ton of support from fans, and good moveset potential to make him different from other swordsman characters in the game.
Takamaru – His game had an attraction in Nintendo Land, preferred over other classic franchises, majorly boosting his chances of being the "revived retro" of Smash Bros. 4. Also, who wouldn't want to play as a samurai?
May/Hoenn Pokémon Trainer – I cut Red/Kanto P.T. in favor of a Hoenn trainer, specifically May because she is more recognizable than Brendan, being in the anime. Anyways, the 3rd generation was not represented in Brawl with a playable character, and now that there may be remakes of those games next year, a perfect promotion for it would be a 3rd generation Pokémon Trainer, similar to how the K.P.T was a promotional character for FireRed and LeafGreen. Now to move on to the Pokémon themselves. Blaziken was chosen as the fully evolved 'mon because it has good moveset potential, Blaziken itself is more popularity than its previous evolutions, and its currently the only one of 3 Hoenn starters to have a Mega Evolution. Grovyle is said to be more popular than Sceptile, and it also appears as an important character in the second Mystery Dungeon games, and it also has more moveset potential than Treecko. Mudkip is an internet meme, and still can work as only its first stage, where it still is able to learn ground type moves, and Blaziken and Grovyle have taken up the other spots anyways for 2nd and 3rd stage Pokémon.
Zoroark – Zoroark was added for representation of the 5th generation, as it had a movie similar to Lucario, who also is a non-legendary that had a movie of his own. Zoroark also can have a unique moveset compared to Mewtwo and Lucario, as it is a dark type, and its ability to transform into other Pokémon may be able to be put to use if they have the time, making it different from other characters.
Little Mac – Already considerably revived with the Wii game, Little Mac has a very high chance of making it into Smash Bros. with that kinda recent game to brag about, and a lot of fan support.

Edit: (Added some more newcomer reasoning, stay tuned for more stuff!)

MetalMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GabrieloMiguel
Well so I thought about the roster making as little cuts as possible, in this case only PKMN trainer left for blaziken and a good size of newcomers
Final Roster.png

Id also expect the starting roster to be like the original 12 plus Pit and Marth

EDIT: Just saving this till release date to see how off I was

RobbyJake16

Smash Rookie
Mario, Peach, Bowser, Luigi, Bowser Jr, Paper Mario, Super Mario 6
DK, Dixie/Dixie, K Rool, Donkey Kong 3
Wario, Wario 1
Yoshi, Yoshis Island 1
Game and Watch, Game and Watch 1
Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Poke trainer, Lucario, MewTwo ( x and y ), Pokemon 5
Kirby, Meta Knight, Dedede, Knuckle Joe, Kirby 4
Samus, Ridley, Metroid 2
Pit, Palutena, Kid Icarus 2
Link, Zelda/Sheik, Ganondorf, Toon Link, Ghiriahim, Zelda 6
Fox, Falco, Wolf, Krystal, Star Fox 4
Marth, Roy, Chrom, Fire Embelem 3
Ness, Lucas, Earthbound/Mother 2
Capn Falcon, Samurai Goruh, F-Zero 2
Pikmin and Olimar, New pikmin character from trio, Pikmin 2
Ice Climbers, Ice Climbers 1
Villager, Tom Nook, Animal Crossing 2
Wii fit trainer, Wii fit 1
Little Mac, Punch Out 1
Isaac, Golden Sun 1
Sonic, Big Boss ( Naked Snake ), Megaman, Pacman. 3rd Party 4

Add it all up, you get 52 characters. I think that's 2 more than we'll get, perhaps 7. Allow some elaboration on my part: Snake eater 3D came out not long ago, it makes sense to include big boss rather than solid snake, as I believe kojima and sakurai both want to keep mgs in ssb active while I believe snake will replace or join raiden in a new playstation sequal for ps4. Pacman is obvious, sakurai is a master troll, namco gets their mascot. Donkey Kong, Kirby, Starfox, Mario, Zelda, Kid Icarus, F Zero, Pikmin, Fire Emblem, Pokemon,and Animal Crossing all see new characters added on to the existing main stays in the series ( Animal Crossing being new all together in terms of playable characters. ). It may seem unlikely Tom Nook will be added with Villager making an appearance and introducing a playable character from animal crossing, but if animal crossing gets playable characters you have to add him. Paper Mario and Little Mac serve as two new classics that fans have always adored, each being able to introduce two unique move sets. Feel free to critique or discuss. Also, Chrom is added in to replace Ike as a modern rep, Marth comes back as the obvious mainstay mascot for the series, and Roy makes his long awaited return.

smasherbound93

Smash Rookie
My roster
Confirmed characters so far...
Veterans/ Mario, Link, Pikachu, Kirby, DK, Samus, Fox, Pit, Bowser, Olimar, Luigi, Peach, Toon Link, Sonic.
Newcomers/ Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Megaman.

Returning Characters (16)
SSB/ Captain Falcon, Ness, Jigglypuff (3)
Melee/ Zelda, Mr. G&W, Ganondorf, Mewtwo, Marth, Ice Clambers (6)
Brawl/ Wario, Diddy Kong, Ike, Wolf, King Dedede, Meta Knigth, Lucario (7).

Cuts/Not Returning (8)
Pichu, Roy, Young Link, Falco, PK Trainer, Snake, Lucas, R.O.B.

The SSB 64 characters are obvious, in fact I'm a bit surprise the both Ness and Captain Falcon haven't been confirm yet.

The Melee veterans/ Peach is there so Zelda must be too, there's no way Ganondorf is cut if there's something smash needs is more villains, Mewtwo is getting more popular right now, Marth is the main of Fire Emblem but i wouldn't mind if he's cut, as Mr.G&W and IC the're pretty unique and respresent an era for nintendo.

In the case for Brawl (the most critical right now)/ I'd say Wario must return i really like his moveset and being the first character with different costumes, Diddy Kong is not one of my favorites but DK needs a ally, King Dedede and Meta Knight will probably return just need to balance them (especially MK) as for Ike, Wolf and Lucario are some of the characters that are constantly in the cut list but Ike is my favorite Fire Emblem hero and seeing that Chrom is base on the looks of Ike is proof of his impact on fans, Wolf is bad guy and as much as i like Falco i prefer wolf to stay and please Sakurai a little more effort on the moves and final smash. And Lucario well i guess i kinda want a battle between him and Mewtwo instead of just having one of them.
Dr. Mario he could be an alternative costume for Mario.

Now the cuts
Pichu, Young Link i don't they will return to smash bros ever, Roy is a fan favorite but Fire Emblem - Fuuin No Tsurugi has never been release outside of Japan, Falco is a hard one because i don't want him to be cut, but i feel is him or Wolf and as i said before I'll go with Wolf to stay. The Pk Trainer was a nice concept but at the end i preferd alone Pokemon, also WTF is that only Charizard is at his third evolution and not the other two you're making an overrated Pokemon even more overrated. Snake ugh pretty obvious, R.O.B as joke characters go he's the least charming of them even WFT is more appealing than him, and Lucas sadly has the same problem with Roy...Mother 3 has not been release in America and Europe i had to admit as an Earthbound fan i felt a bit insulted that he was included in Brawl same with the Japan only Earthbound demo.

So now i have 31 veterans (33 including Shiek and ZSS) and 3 newcomers lets see the rest (no order in particular and honorable mentions do not take part of the list).

1- Bowser Jr. Yeah i know to much Mario characters but he's pretty likable to be here, he can have an unique moveset and can transform into Shadow Mario.
HM- King Boo. Again too much Mario character is his downside, but he is my favorite Mario enemy also him and Bowser Jr. are more useful in the Mario franchise than Waluigi and Daisy which are just filler.

2- King K. Pool. Smash need villains and he's a very cool one others may prefer Dixie Kong but i'm not a fan of her.

3- Ridley. Yeah I'm team Ridley.

4- Little Mac. A cliché by this point in wishlists, but he will be an awesome choice and i love he's design in the Wii game.

5- Issac. Golden Sun is one of the best games on the GBA and same with Little Mac he was an assistant trophy now is time to be a playable character.

6- Zoroark. Lucario, Mewtwo and him in battle will be awesome.

7- Chrom. He is the newest entry in the FE saga and the main character of the most popular FE game this time (i don't want him instead of Ike but only time will tell).
HM- Black Knight/Zelgius. Honestly this character has always fascinate me, but they won't include two characters form the same game (if Ike returns) so there's that.

8- Black Shadow or Samurai Goroh. Either of them are good choices for a Captain Falcon enemy.

9- Pokey. A interesting entry from Earthbound same with Ridley from boss to playable, with unique moves and style.

10-Crystal. Not a fan of her but Smash bros needs more females.

11- Lyn, Lucina or Micaiah. In the need of female characters in smash, Fire emblem feature a lot of them and these seem to be the best options, but to be honest if they include both Chrom and Ike, Lucina and Micaiah have less chance becuse they are from the same games of their male counterparts, so Lyn is best since she is the protagonist of the first Fire Emblem outside of Japan (and my favorite also).

12- New Zelda character. I put this one on blank because i don't know really who will be included, all i can say is that a new Zelda character thats not a different form (Toon Zelda or Toon Ganon for example) or Tingle is welcome.

13- Mii

So that makes 47 characters plus alternative forms (2) and another third party character which i don't really care as long it's not an anime character.

Total. 50 Characters (Now i don't think the roster is going to be this big but is what i would like to see in the next smash).

Kon

Smash Journeyman

I made a few changes.
Total amount of characters: 44
veterans: 34
newcomers: 10

I feel fine now with my roster. Most of the veterans from Brawl are returning.(except Snake)
Talking of the newcomers, 5 out of 10 are from "new" franchises(DRW, Punch-Out, Animal Crossing, Wii Fit, Megaman) while the other 5 are from already in SSB existing franchises(DK, Starfox, Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem)

GreenReaperGod

Smash Lord
My Roster:

Total Characters: 48
No Cuts
Sheik, Zamus, Ivysaur, Charizard, and Squirtle return even though you cannot see them on the roster.
Newcomers (13):
-Toad
-Waluigi (Represents the Sports and Party games, moveset will be based on those games)
-Tetra
-King K Rool
-Villager
-Wii Fit Trainer
-Mach Rider
-Isaac
-Shulk
-Meowth
-Takamaru
-Little Mac
-Megaman
My Roster:

Total Characters: 48
Only cut is Snake
Sheik, Zamus, Charizard, Ivysaur, and Squirtle all return
Newcomers (14):
-Rosalina & Luma
-Dixie Kong
-Toon Zelda & Phantom Zelda (I believe PZ is more than just an assist trophy after analysis)
-Villager
-Ridley
-Mach Rider
-Bandana Dee
-Shulk
-Mewtwo (not really a newcomer)
-Palutena
-Wii Fit Trainer
-Megaman
-Pac-Man
-Mii

Last edited:

AlRex

Smash Lord
(11-8-2013)

I probably won't keep this one for long, though, because I change my mind way too often...

(4-18-2013)
Okay, so I half-lied. I do change my mind a lot, but I am also lazy. Some icons look different, partially because I'm on a new computer.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
11/1713 Roster:

12/20/13 Roster:

01/31/14 Roster:

04/09/14 Roster:

07/14/14 Roster:

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

there we are
waddle dee, pac-man, wolf, Dixie kong, are maybes and yes I forgot too add the mii's to the roster

blue box veterans that are starters

red box veterans that have to be unlocked

green box newcomers that are starters (sonic is a red box not green I dident notice it)

yellow box is newcomers that have to be unlocked

Megaman and sonic will be unlockable

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Ike's appearance marks a brand new roster.

Cuts:
-Snake
-Jigglypuff
-Ivysaur
-Squirtle

Newcomers:
-Rosalina
-King K. Rool
-Shulk
-Bandana Waddle Dee
-Palutena
-Takamaru
-Villager
-Little Mac
-Greninja
-Wii Fit Trainer
-Chrom

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
My predictions:
Every Brawl character + Mewtwo
9 Newcomers:

Villager
Megaman
Wii Fit Trainer

Little Mac (last unrepresented Nintendo Star)
Dillon (3DS Shop)
Saki (Sakurai's interest + Japanese popularity)
Dixie Kong (Tropical Freeze, intent of being in Brawl)
Takamaru (On the brink of a revival due to a lot of mini-games inside other NIntendo games)
Palutena (in the end, she probably has the fanbase to back her inclusion, plus there's a ton more things from K.I.U. that Sakurai could include since he knows its universe so well).

Extras: (maybe)
Pacman (A coin toss at this point)

I feel the newcomers will have several priorities to deal with:
-That they represent new IPs. (Meaning, they'll mostly be main characters)
-That they bring something unique to the moveset pool.
-That they have been suggested a lot.

EDIT: Oh dang... wrong thread. :(

My current roster

48+Mii

3/7/2013

My current roster, still 48+Mii

4/30/2013

There are actually quite a lot of good rosters here.

Some of my top choices for newcomers would be Shulk, Ghirahim, Isa Jo, Micaiah, Matthew, Chrom, Takamaru, Gold, Little Mac, Andy, Sheriff, Bowser Jr, and Mega-Man

6/10/2013

Picture form of my latest roster (pre-E3 roster)

-Red are unlockables
-Not including DLC

6/23/2013

My current roster:

7/14/2013

Current roster

Cuts: Ike, Lucario, Red, Toon Link, and Snake

7/15/2013

I plan on updating my roster tomorrow

A few things I can think of changing now:

-Replacing Matthew with Adult Isaac
-Replacing Genesect with Zoroark
-Replacing PKMN Trainer Gold with PKMN Trainer Red (but with different Pokemon, repping the first 3 Gens)
-Removing the Mii
-Adjusting my DLC section

7/16/2013

7/26/13

8/19/2013

48 (shows DLC ideas too)

9/17/2013

Current Roster (what may be my Official 2013 Roster):

I don't know, I feel better about this one but am not sure yet.

Pokemon got cut down to 4 (removing Zoroark) and Sheriff is added. Three cuts in the end (Wolf, Lucario, and Snake).

While Zelda and Mario have 5 reps, I kind of thought how the main three technically have 6. When it comes to Mario the main Mario cast is from Mario to Bowser Jr. The likes of Donkey Kong, Wario, and Yoshi are part of it but also part of their own franchises, thus not actually counting. One of them is still a big influence in the Mario games though, Yoshi (so I in the end count him more Mario than the other two while still counting him as Yoshi's Island). The Zelda roster is simple, there are 5 characters but Sheik basically makes them 6. As for Pokemon, Pikachu,Jigglypuff, and Mewtwo count as one rep each. The Pokemon Trainer counts as three, thus 6 characters. The Pokemon roster will also be heavily X and Y based (updated look and some moves for Pikachu, Jigglypuff gets a slight Fairy makeover, and the Trainer and Mewtwo have Mega-Evolutions as Final Smashes).

Doing this allows room for Sheriff, thus boosting the Retro reps to 5 (and having 2 new reps as what have been seen in the last two games).

16 Newcomers
10 New Franchises (2 Third Party, 2 Retro, 6 Misc).
6 Total Females (+Genderless Pokemon)

Thoughts?

9/26/2013

Had to update it after the Toon Link announcement last night

DLC Ideas for Last Roster:

12/5/2013

I am currently working on a roster update

M23-X0

Smash Journeyman

To explain the characters a little :

- Rosalina : I know that the n°5 Mario rep is the most unsure. From what I read, Toad, Paper Mario, Bowser Jr, Waluigi and Rosalina are the most plausible characters. I definitely don't want to see either Waluigi nor Toad (not originals), and I would love Rosalina. Smash bros needs female characters, and she can bring a touch of feminity to the game.

- K Rool : No need to explain, it's either him or Dixie Kong. I think that he's the most wanted one, and I can see him completing the fat evil king trio with Bowser and Dedede.

- No Krystal : Even if I would really liked her, Star Fox's franchise is not as popular as old times. So, a 4th rep should be too much.

- Prince Fluff : Nintendo needs to add new characters^^

- Wonder Red : The same as Prince Fluff, this would help the game to become more popular, from what I heard, it's really great.

- New IP : Miyamoto and/or the Pikmin guy were working on a new Nintendo IP. It would help the game itself. What do you guys think ?

- Shulk / Isaac : Definitely possibles. Xenoblade became my favourite game, and it's one of the best game in the world ! With X coming, Shulk has to be in ! The same with Isaac and Golden Sun.

- Palutena : She's really wanted, and Sakurai worked on the last Kid Icarus. So she should be here^^

- Takamaru : I don't know who the man is, but every smash includes a retro character (Samus, Ice Climbers, Pit). So either him on another one will be fine by me.

- Mewtwo : With X and Y out, he has to be here !!!

- Chrom : As the last Fire Emblem saved the franchise, Sakurai needs to thanks Chrom and put him here :p

- Ridley : Same as K Rool, the most wanted character. He has to be playable !

- Little Mac : One of the most wanted character.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
Alright, here is my latest prediction roster:

10 newcomers in total. Just one cut.

Justifications for each newcomer:

DIXIE KONG:
A new Donkey Kong rep is inevitable, and it is clearly going to be either King K. Rool or Dixie Kong. Personally I would prefer K. Rool, but at this point I feel as if Dixie Kong is the more likely of the two.

PALUTENA:
I am almost certain that Palutena will get in. She's shown to be an important character in the Kid Icarus series with lots of moveset potential. With a huge fan following and a plethora of requests, she's bound to get in.

CHROM:
I am very sure that we will get a new Fire Emblem rep, and it will almost definitely be Chrom. He is the face of the new Fire Emblem game, so I'd say that he is deserving.

TAKAMARU:
Both Melee and Brawl got 'retro' characters added, so I expect that Smash 4 will do the same. Sakurai has even stated that he'd like to use this game to add in older characters. Takamaru is definitely the most deserving and likely choice of a retro.

LITTLE MAC:
I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who thinks that Little Mac is almost guaranteed a spot in this roster. He has it all - popularity, relevance, importance; and an all-star status.

SHULK:
With the popularity and relevance of Xenoblade Chronicles, I feel like Shulk is a shoe-in. It was hard choosing between Shulk and Isaac, but in the end I went for Shulk, because I feel like he has more going for him than Isaac.

MII:
I would be very surprised if Miis did not end up in this game. Despite the fact that there is a fairly large opposition to Miis, I think that their chances are fairly secure. In some shape or form, I'm certain we will get Miis.

Kon

Smash Journeyman

Let's have a look:
6 Super Mario characters.
5 Pokémon characters.
4 Legend of Zelda characters.
4 Donkey Kong characters.
3 Kirby characters.
3 Starfox characters.
3 Wario characters.
2 Kid Icarus characters.
2 Earthbound/Mother characters.
2 Yoshi characters.
2 Fire Emblem characters.
2 Metroid characters.
and some One Representant series.

This is the roster I can imagine to be the one of SSB4.

First off a few questions I'll answer to give you an image of why I consider this or that franchise being represented by x characters. I'll also put in some numbers to illustrate some arguments.

Why does the Donkey Kong franchise deserve 4 spots?
The Donkey Kong franchise counts 11 games of the main series(DKC, DK Arcade and DK64) and 13 spinoffs which makes a total amount of 24 games. The Legend of Zelda counts 25 games.(17 from the main series, 7 spinoffs)
DKCR has sold 6,30 million times on the Wii while Skyward Sword only sold 3,67 million times. (comparing the most recent games of the main series and not considering A Link Between Worlds which has around 0,86 million sold copies until now and is only out for a month yet)
I could also take examples from the last official Kirby game from the main series (or from Metroid, Fire Emblem,...); we would get even a huger difference in terms of sold copies. Therefore 4 spots would be absolutely plausible.
Also we have to consider the fact Brawl came out before DKCR. Nintendo couldn't know already right from the beginning that DKCR would sell that well.
One representant may be a tribute to the old games(King K.Rool) while the other would be used to promote DKC:Tropical Freeze which is released before SSB4. (Cranky or Dixie, but to me Cranky seems more interesting as character)

Why 3 Wario characters, 2 Yoshi characters and 2 Kid Icarus characters?
From Melee to Brawl we had a few One Representant series like Kirby, Donkey Kong, Metroid and Earthbound/Mother that got a 2nd representant (and Kirby even got a 3rd too), so it is pretty likely that we will have more One Representant series that may get a 2nd representant. The only ones that could offer enough characters would be the Yoshi series, the Wario series, the Kid Icarus series and the F-Zero series. However talking of F-Zero, a pretty inactive series until now and maybe even for some time in the future too, there is no character from F-Zero who would be a good reason to buy SSB4 or vice-versa buy an F-Zero game beside Captain Falcon. Captain Falcon stays THE face of F-Zero and there is no second one. (no Samurai Goroh, no Black Shadow and no Judy Foster)

The Wario series sells quite well, even though Game&Wario is until now not on the same level as most other Wario games. The Wario series also counts many games and even has two main series: Wario Land and WarioWare. In order to not give the priority to either Wario Land or either WarioWare, it makes sense to give a Wario Land character a spot in the roster and a WarioWare character a spot too. While Captain Syrup seems to be the most important character besides Wario in Wario Land(considering her appearances), for WarioWare there are a few characters that could be added. However as we got already a Fitness trainer, why wouldn't Sakurai want to add a blue-afro-wearing dancer as unique as Jimmy T. is? And I go with Kamek for the Yoshi series so a witch like Ashley wouldn't be a good addition when we get already Kamek. And Mona,... Well. I can't think of any interesting moveset that could work and comparing Mona to Jimmy T., Jimmy looks more interesting ;)

Now let's come to the Yoshi series. The last game from the main series, Yoshi's Island DS sold 2,71 million copies which is better than the last Kirby game sold. Therefore a 2nd representant should be taken into account. Who would be the best option for the 2nd spot of the series? Baby Bowser? Well... Kamek makes more appearances in the games and seems to be the main villain, so it seems more logical to put in the real nemesis of Yoshi: Kamek!

Now let's come to Kid Icarus. It's a franchise reborn thanks to Sakurai on the 3DS with the title Kid Icarus: Uprising. In order to push the game with the release of SSB4, he will need to add another character. Otherwise some SSB-player may think Pit is still a retro-character and so they won't really notice that there is a new game of the series out. Why Medusa? While most people here think the new character will be Palutena, I totally disagree as I feel Medusa being more interesting and being nearly as important as Palutena. Of course, the japanese name of the franchise contains Palutena in it, just as The Legend of Zelda contains the name of Zelda. However I don't think this is an argument that can eliminate Medusa right away. Remember Kid Icarus: Uprising? Medusa will come back, so don't think you have left her behind you ;)

Why did you cut Ike and Snake?
Well, if Sakurai likes Ikes moveset, he can transfer it to Chrom. However 3 bluehaired swordsmen from the same franchise looks a bit strange, doesn't it? Also I think two characters are pretty representative for Fire Emblem. One being the legendary Marth who is the most important lord of the series anyway. And the other being always a character, most likely the lord, of the most recent Fire Emblem game. This is a good way to avoid adding too many swordsmen over more interesting characters and still the recent FE games get supported by SSB4.
Why I've cut Snake? Well, Metal Gear is barely present on Nintendo consoles, so I don't see a need to keep him in the roster anymore. As a guest character for one game he was okay, but that's it.

Punch-Out!, Dillon's Rolling Western and Takamaru?
Punch-Out! reborn on the Wii needs to get more attention if Nintendo wants to release in the future again another Punch-Out! game. To keep the attention on the protagonist of the series, Sakurai has to put Little Mac in the roster. Also we saw already a stage being a boxing arena and this perfectly fits for Little Mac, just as the Galaxy stage hinted Rosalina. Beside that, Little Mac is one of the most wanted newcomers, he is on so many lists and in so many rosters. Even Sakurai can't miss this wish to get Little Mac in SSB4.

In the Super Smash Bros universe, we have no character who symbolizes the japanese history: the samurai. Nintendo has an eShop title called Sakura Samurai which has the historical japanese setting of samurais. Beside that one, Nintendo has Takamaru, a good retro option for SSB4. In Nintendoland there is even a game called Takamaru's Castle. We can be sure Nintendo hasn't forgotten who Takamaru is/was and therefore he seems also a possible character choice for the samurai representing the samurais of the East.

Speaking of East, let's got to the West. Dillon's Rolling Western plays in the Cowboy/Ranger setting we haven't seen yet in SSB4. The eShop franchise counts two games in almost 2-3 years and is even supported by Nintendo by sharing a Mii plaza puzzle on the topic of Dillon's Rolling Western. Nintendo has all the rights for the game and the characters and therefore there are no real obstacles that could stop the rolling armadillo from entering the roster. I feel like Dillon would be a good addition because of the setting, but also because he has moveset potential and can be very unique.

I think I've talked now on the topic of every newcomer I've added and on the topic of every cut I've made. I'm fine with my roster. I like it as it has many different characters from different franchises.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
11/10/2013

Here's mine

No Cuts

Newcomers
-Roy
-Mewtwo
-Paper Mario
-King K. Rool
-Samurai Goroh
-Ridley
-Isaac
-Shulk
-Ray
-Excitebiker
-Takamaru
-Little Mac
-Villager, Mega Man, Wii Fit Trainer
[COLLAPSE=45 Characters]
If I were to size down my roster to 45 characters, this is what it would look like.
Cutting
-Ray
-Roy
-Lucas
-Wolf
-Excitebiker

[/COLLAPSE]

12/24/2013

Current Roster

Character Changes

Rosalina: I obviously had to update with the confirmation of Rosalina. The obvious replacement was Paper Mario because 6 Mario characters is asking for a bit much and I never really found him too likely anyway.

Duck Hunt Dog: I decided to replace my retro from Excitebiker, to DH Dog. Asking for a complex bike riding character is a bit much given the amount of effort and developement time it would take, so I decided to remove him, despite how much I want him. But the reason I chose the Dog as a replacement was because of his history with Nintendo. He's one of the biggest (if not the biggest) Nintendo All-Star that hasn't been added. He's a staple in gaming and pop culture, and is an icon of Nintendo and the NES era. Even if he's not the likeliest character in most people's eyes, I'd still say he's more than deserving of a spot.

Dixie Kong: With DK being such a prominent series, and Tropical Freeze's promotion I felt that a 4th character would make a lot of sense. I didn't want to take out K. Rool either and Dixie Kong's iconic-ness, and her inclusion to Tropical Freeze made me feel that she still deserved to be added, even if K. Rool's included as well. So to add her, I had to remove someone else. It was between Ray, and Goroh, and ultimately I chose Ray. Samurai Goroh's much more iconic and important to Nintendo, and F-Zero's gone long enough without a second rep so I felt that Goroh was still the better choice.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
My Roster:

Fire Emblem, WarioWare, Donkey Kong, Starfox, Kid Icarus All get at least one new rep.

Green: Confirmed
Yellow: Melee Only Vet (Unconfirmed)
Blue: Brawl Vet (Unconfirmed)
Red: Newcomer (Unconfirmed)

Louie G.

Smash Hero
1/10/14
An "experimental" roster. Added Krystal and Waddle Dee, and removed Dixie Kong and Pac-Man.
Experimental Roster.png

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
4/3/2013

Hi there, I'm AEM and this is what I'm seeing in Sm4sh Bros.
CURRENT PRE-E3 2013

CHANGES FROM BEFORE:
Removed Layton
Removed Muddy Mole
Removed Toad
Removed Miis
Added Ike back in​
(PRE-Pre-E3 2013)​

Changes from the previous list are:
The Roster now has a total of 50 Characters, 54 including the Miis (Meaning five selectable characters have been put in).
Waluigi Replaced with Toad, Toad is the remaining mainstream Mario character that has yet to become a playable character in Smash Brothers. That is enough to believe he is the next viable character to be placed into the game.
Added Tetra / Toon Zelda, Tetra / Toon Zelda and Impa are the only characters I see making it in the game. Tetra is more of a personal decision, but I added in Toon Zelda too considering that she is a bit more prominent than Tetra.
Added Dillon, Considering that Downloadable Nintendo Titles became a big thing after Brawl with WiiWare, DSiWare, and now the eShop I believe that a character representing the smaller budget titles is possible and that Dillon does that perfectly.
Added Black Shadow, I was going to add either Black Shadow or Samurai Goroh here, I decided to go with Black Shadow because I am fond with the concept of shifting Ganondorf's Brawl Moveset out of him into Black Shadow with a few changes to fit it into Black Shadow's character a bit more. This way we keep current Ganondorf, get a new Ganondorf, and represent the F-Zero franchise with an actual villain.
Mewtwo can turn into Newtwo, whether via Down Special or Final Smash.
Lucario now has a permanent spot on my Roster, Now that we know that Mewtwo perfectly suffices as a Fan Favorite AND a 6th Gen character, I see no reason to remove Lucario anymore.
Ike has been replaced by Chrom, this is something I found iffy in my opinion. However after I found out that Chrom can eventually learn Aether I figured, "Eh, why not? Awakening is popular enough and it's main Lord knows Ike's 'Exclusive' move". So take that for what it's worth.
Added Muddy Mole, Thinking about it, I'm finding a historical Gameboy rep more likely. Muddy Mole has been mentioned by Sakurai in both of the past games. Considering that he wanted more classic Nintendo characters in the game, Takamaru might not be enough to suffice that this time around.
Pac-Man has been replaced by Llyod Irving, While the head Namco Developers have been negative towards adding a Tekken character into Smash, they have been very open to somebody from the Tales Of franchise. I decided on Lloyd because of his popularity, his Gamecube release, and because I've seen that he could work through Super Smash Flash 2 (But that doesn't really have any warrant to it).
Added Professor Layton, Professor Layton, to me anyways, is the most logical Third Party candidate even over Mega Man. The Mainstream Layton franchise has been exclusively Nintendo for it's entirety and it is well over being one of the Best Selling DS Franchies. The creator of the Professor Layton franchise, Akihiro Hino, has expressed interest in seeing Layton in Smash Brothers. Considering that Sakurai and Hino are friends I find it to be very possible.

General list of changes from Brawl Roster:
Dr. Mario returns as an Alternate Costume for Mario (Super Mario Brothers)
Added Toad (Super Mario Brothers)
Added King K. Rool (Donkey Kong)
Added Tetra / Toon Zelda (The Legend of Zelda)
Added Ridley (Metroid)
Added Palutena (Kid Icarus)
Added Little Mac (Punch-Out!!)
Added Dillon (Dillon's Rolling Western)
Added Black Shadow (F-Zero)
Mewtwo returns Reawakened (Pokemon)
Leaf is now an Alternate costume of the Pokemon Trainer (Pokemon)
Chrom has replaced Ike (Fire Emblem)
Added Shulk (Xenoblade)
Added Muddy Mole (Mole Mania)
Added Takamaru (Mysterious Castle)
Added Mega Man (Mega Man)
Added Lloyd Irving (Tales Of)
Added Professor Layton (Professor Layton)
Added Mii (Wii Series)
The Mii is exclusive to the 3DS version, but can be sent into the Wii U version with four save slots. Enough for 1 per person (Assuming the game will stay 4 Player).​

(As of April 2013)

Newcomers on the list include: Waluigi, King K. Rool, Takamaru, Ridley, Palutena, Little Mac, Mewtwo, Shulk, Mega Man, and Pac-Man (Dr. Mario returns as an alternate costume).
The Mii is exclusive to the 3DS version, but can be sent into the Wii U version with four save slots. Enough for 1 per person (Assuming the game will stay as a 4 Player game).

It has a total of 45 selectable Characters (54 total including Sheik, Zero Suit Samus, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard, and the 4 Mii slots individually).

Also I kept Lucario because he's still popular today, even with a 6th Generation on it's way (He'll still probably get replaced anyways though).

12/31/2013

With a new year coming I figured it's time for a new roster.

Nothing ground breaking, just a new style appearance-wise and me looking at the roster in a different light (sort of despite, there only being like three changes).
Change #1: Roster buffed to 47/48 characters from 46 due to Rosalina.
Change #2: Muddy replaced Lip because I feel that Muddy has a lot more to offer gameplay wise with burrowing and whatnot. Would be an interesting ground controlling character.
Change #3: Newcomer icon is there because I couldn't think of anybody else that really fit on the chart. So it could literally be anything from a Zelda newcomer, Fire Emblem newcomer, 4th Third-Party character, another miscellaneous character, or just the Random icon.

Everything else should be self-explanatory, only thing I feel like I have to mention is my lacking of confidence in Isaac specifically. But he's still there because this is the nation of why not.

1/24/2014 (Current Variant)
So the week is over, and I'm now ready to post my latest roster update~

Changes from before...
• Character layout is more similar to Melee now, rather than being in a similar style to the Marvel vs Capcom franchise.
• Updated artwork for Palutena, Isaac, King Dedede, Ike, Muddy Mole, Snake, and Sheik.
• Updated names from Rosalina to Rosalina • Luma and Olimar to Pikmin • Olimar.
• The newcomer slot has been changed into Robin.
• Added a Random slot.
• Selectable character amount is now 48, total playable character amount is now 52.
[collapse="Reasoning for Characters"]Rosalina & Luma: Already confirmed.
King K. Rool: I've mentioned this before, but I have no qualms with Dixie Kong being in K. Rool's place. I just see K. Rool as the more unique option of the two, which is why I have placed him on the roster rather than Dixie.
Ridley: Reasoning for this character has been done to death, I'm sure everyone understands why Ridley can be in Smash.

Palutena: Disregarding the leak, Palutena was already a very likely candidate for Smash For as it is. This new leak only solidifies my stance that she will be playable.
Isaac: Isaac's popularity in the Pre-Brawl Poll will likely have him considered at the very least. He seems like he could be interesting mix of Swordplay and Magic. There also the Djinns from Golden Sun that Isaac could utilize in some way. I'm not big on Golden Sun, but I do see potential from what I've gathered.
Shulk: Xenoblade is a gem and the demand for this game, Pandora's Tower, and the Last Story shouldn't go unnoticed. Shulk wouldn't be in to be as "the people's character" but he would also introduce a new type of playstyle where the character gets better when you do damage with him (ala UMvC3's Frank West) through the use of the Monado. It really sounds like it would be interesting to see work in a game like Smash and I think that's enough to buy me in and want to see him in the game.
Villager: Already Confirmed.
Wii Fit Trainer: Already Confirmed.
Mewtwo: Honestly, I think Mewtwo should have been in Smash since the original one. No reason for him to not come back this time around, he's a "hot" Pokémon right now.
Robin: At this point, I've come to the conclusion that a character that has originated from Fire Emblem: Awakening is pretty much inevitable. So while the popular and common choice is Chrom, I believe the better decision is Robin, the player's avatar. But makes Robin so interesting and better than Chrom, you may ask? Well I have two reasons:

1) Avatar characters may become a staple in the Fire Emblem franchise. You see, the first Fire Emblem to have an avatar (or My Unit) character is Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem ~Heroes of Light and Shadow~. This is the game Marth's design is from. Now after the success of Awakening and how involved the avatar character is in that game (I mean really involved) if there are new Fire Emblem games (which is more probable because of how well Awakening has done) Avatar characters may have found a new home in the Fire Emblem franchise. Which would be better than having a character from one game that we may never see again in a Fire Emblem game's core story *COUGHroy&chromCOUGH*.
2) The Avatar offers up the possibility of being Smash's first Stance character. People often complain how the Fire Emblem franchise is only represented through it's sword users, but Robin can be the first to change this trend by using both a sword and a tomb. Would be a character with another unique playstyle in mind (much like Samus in ProjectM, Phoenix Wright in UMvC3, and Squigly in Skullgirls)
If you add Chrom, you're just adding another sword guy from Fire Emblem. Now there isn't any problem with that, Chrom could be unique if they tried hard enough to make him unique. But I believe Robin has a lot more to offer, so that's why I would much rather have Robin over any other FE character.
Little Mac: I still think Little Mac is probably the most likely newcomer for Smash For, so I believe there's really nothing for me to say here...
Muddy Mole: When it comes to retro characters, anything goes really. Generally I see people go for Takamaru, and I can honestly see why. There is a certain charm for classically themed Samurai characters like him and I can appreciate that. However, I really would like to see something really different from other characters, and I mean something really unique. So this is why I chose Muddy Mole as my personal retro character choice, because he can offer just that. His entire game was revolved around DIGGING UNDERGROUND. No other character in Smash can do that at ease! He'd have some really interesting stage control where he could probably appear underneath you from anywhere in a second or hide under it for a short period of time (ala Rocket Raccoon). He could also summon a large Iron Ball and use it as his personal projectile. Only he can grab and throw it, and it could potentially cause massive damage if it actually it somebody. Making the ground Muddy's home field. I could have gone with Takamaru, Lip, Mach Rider, or even Duck Hunt Dog for goodness sake. But Muddy Mole brings something new that no other character really can, so that's why I find him to be the ideal choice.
Also, this game is going to be on a handheld! What's wrong with having a retro character from a handheld?
Mega Man: Already confirmed.

No Cuts: Only character from Brawl I can see not returning is Snake, but I see no reason for him to go unless Nintendo would rather not have their game advertising games on other consoles right now. But Nintendo went to Konami for Snake in Brawl, so who knows really.[/collapse]

So yeah this is my roster right now! I'd love to hear some comments on it if anybody is willing to give any.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Must be nice to have photoshop. >:U

Anyway, here's my boring prediction. It's extremely by-the-books, and for almost-sure won't be right, but hey, that's what predictions are all about.

Super Mario Bros. - 5
Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Rosalina

The Legend of Zelda - 4
Link, Zelda (Sheik), Ganondorf (Ganon, transforms via FS, similar to ZSS), Toon Link

Pokemon - 4
Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, PKMN Trainer (Totodile, Servine, Blaziken)

Donkey Kong - 3
DK, Diddy & Dixie, Cranky Kong

Metroid - 2
Samus (ZSS), Ridley

Fire Emblem - 2
Marth, Chrom & Avatar

Kid Icarus - 2
Pit, Medusa

Star Fox - 2
Fox, Falco

Wario - 2
Wario (Wario Land revamp), Mona

Kirby - 3
Kirby, DeDeDe, Meta Knight

Retro - 3
Ice Climbers, G&W, Takamaru
Single Representatives - 9
Olimar, Villager, Megaman, Sonic, WFT, Isaac, Shulk, Ness, Captain Falcon

Newcomers - 14

Total - 41

What, no K. Rool?

I have no attachment to or anything against him, personally, but I honestly just don't see him getting in. He's not that important anymore. It's certainly possible, though. If you really want, mentally replace Cranky with him.

Where are Lucas, ROB, and Wolf?!
In the "most uninteresting characters introduced in Brawl" bin. Not only that, they're pretty irrelevant these days, as well, although Wolf is debatable. If I were to put one character back, it would be Wolf. Ness surpasses Lucas by virtue of his seniority.

Shulk AND Isaac?! You fool! You'll destroy the world!
Eh. They're plenty different besides their blonde, spiky hair.

Lucario?
Look at the list, under "Mewtwo". Mewtwo loaned Lucario his space in Brawl because he went to see Lucario's movie, which is old (and crap, as is the entire Pokemon anime).

Etc.?
Not on my list, it isn't! This is just what I see to be most likely. We still have plenty of new characters, around a third of the roster, while shedding unnecessary weight and allowing plenty of room for balance. For reference, the uneven number would be for either Takamaru or Ridley, who would be ultra-mega-super-secret characters, making you think that you've unlocked all of them, then BOOM. (Ridley in US version, Takamaru in JP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom