• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy's dair

Scaremonger

Smash Apprentice
Sure, the reliable kill set ups stop working at about 70%, but Fthrow tech chases work on almost any percent.
And Roy can't do that? Marth percent is still a pretty hard thing to get around against good players. It's not easy at all to just tech chase fsmash decent players, lol.

About your last comment, I beg to differ. I find that Marth has his good MU and Roy has his, but Marth has less bad or disadvantageous MU.
And those are?

I just feel that until Roy's metagame needs more time to develop and we need to see more top tier Roys before we start placing him as a high tier.
I hate it when people say this. I'm not going to wait until "the metagame develops" to make opinions on characters. It's counterproductive - if you have that mindset, then the metagame is going to stagnate. The metagame only evolves because people theorize and experiment with characters. It's not just something that magically moves if you wait for it.

I love watching the videos from your region. There's a lot of seriously great players there.
Shut up, baby, I know it.

Last edited:

Kirito-

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheRealKirito
3DS FC
3179-7237-9807
And Roy can't do that? Marth percent is still a pretty hard thing to get around against good players. It's not easy at all to just tech chase fsmash decent players, lol.
True, very true. It isn't easy to just tech chase fsmash lol.

Scaremonger said:
And those are?
:fox::falco::wolf::ivysaur::link2::lucas::zerosuitsamus:
I found these characters to be much easier vs Marth than vs Roy

Scaremonger said:
I hate it when people say this. I'm not going to wait until "the metagame develops" to make opinions on characters. It's counterproductive - if you have that mindset, then the metagame is going to stagnate. The metagame only evolves because people theorize and experiment with characters. It's not just something that magically moves if you wait for it.
Cool, that doesn't change the fact that Seth is the only top tier Roy.

Scaremonger said:
Shut up, baby, I know it.
I love them too :]
Seth is one of my fav players.

Scaremonger

Smash Apprentice
:fox::falco::wolf::ivysaur::link2::lucas::zerosuitsamus:
I found these characters to be much easier vs Marth than vs Roy
I agree with Lucas, Ivy, and Wolf, but not Fox, Falco, and Link. Dunno enough about ZSS to make an opinion on her. I think both Marth and Roy are even with Fox/Falco, and Link is pretty hard for Marth because of similar range + projectile spam. Roy can also have some trouble against Link, but definitely not as bad since he punishes Link harder than Marth does once he gets in.

Kirito-

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheRealKirito
3DS FC
3179-7237-9807
I agree with Lucas, Ivy, and Wolf, but not Fox, Falco, and Link. Dunno enough about ZSS to make an opinion on her. I think both Marth and Roy are even with Fox/Falco, and Link is pretty hard for Marth because of similar range + projectile spam. Roy can also have some trouble against Link, but definitely not as bad since he punishes Link harder than Marth does once he gets in.
I find that Marth's uthrow -> utilt -> uair jugggles on Fox/Falco are more useful than the immediate damage Roy has to offer. Marth is also more agile then Roy which allows him to somewhat keep up with Fox. Not to mention the fact that it is insanely easy to gimp Fox/Falco with Marth if they are not 100% perfect on there recovery (even if they are, you can still gimp).

I agree with what you said about Link, but I've played campy Links that made it hard for Roy to get in, whereas Marth's superior range, and speed greatly helped me. What are some tips you'd give vs Link?

Also forgot to add :ness2: to the list. :p

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
You know, I used to be in the "Roy's dair needs to be a meteor" camp (I even made a thread mentioning it) but after a while I stopped caring about it. Great points were brought up here: Roy already has TONS of kill options, he doesn't need another, especially one that is off-stage and would be a guaranteed kill on-hit.

I would also sorely miss killing people off the top with the sweet spot, so no, I don't want dair to be a spike anymore.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I like Roy's dair as is. It is more like Captain Falcon's in that is sets up for kills move more than to use used like Marth's. Although that is of course real flashy.

Haden

If life is so fair, why do roses have thorns?
Changing Roy's meteor into a spike would ruin his on stage presence in a number of ways. Besides.... don't we already have a Marth?

Top Bottom