• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Saffron City - East Coast Regional MELEE Monthlies! ON HOLD indefinitely

Hax

Smash Champion
chops u keep deading me man i thought we were permapartners and then you ditch me for jesus.. and now that jesus isn't going you wanna team with me smh

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
my car is still in the shop, so i won't be there to take everyone's money.

[scientology]

Alukard

Smash Hero
can't go sorry aziz gf johns and now G bailed last minute so the trip there and back will be running me too much money and time as is ... i really tried to make this ... dam real life !

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Me and kurt are SOOOO gonna get lost <3

but it's ok cuz I have WRITTEN directions : ]

Alex Strife I got your numbah so just in case an emergency HAPPENS D:

(It's scary getting lost in NY, funnily enuff I got lost up in china town with my mom) ;-;

UltimaScout

Smash Lord
So like.. I'm totally out a team partner. Anyone need a teammate? Someone who can solo mid without my constant supervision. I'd be happy to help with occasional ganks, but I need to farm too. Let me know plz
Team with me. You know I'm good for it. :laugh:

If Cactuar can do it, you can too. (There's my attempt at a motivational speech)

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
I'm sick... but I hope by the time I reach the venue theres more than 10 people there -_-

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
Alright, so... after today there's not going to be anymore Saffron's. I'm convinced that people don't want to take the extra effort to want to come to these and make our locals larger than they are. Either that, or people or too reliant on rides/housing or would rather go somewhere else for a tourny. I know unforeseen circumstances can occur like sickness/car issues etc. but I see it far too often where people are too reliant. I AM NOT pointing to any particular one person either so don't misinterpret anything I say. I'm not sure if people just don't care about the game, or they'd rather support something else but whatever it is, I'm not gonna think about it anymore.

If people want, there are No Johns and Tunes and whatever tournies there are OOS. I think I'm done caring for now about having these events as I'm sure others are too.

ALSO, please unsticky this.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Crismas: People came, just not nearly as much as there should've been. Props to all those who came from PA though :)

StriCNYN3

Smash Journeyman
So does that mean saffron isn't canceled then since people actually did show up? That'd be kinda sad if it were. Wish I would have came to support =/

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
So does that mean saffron isn't canceled then since people actually did show up? That'd be kinda sad if it were. Wish I would have came to support =/
Random question but, I was wondering where you got your name from? I'm reading for my physiology class right now, and strychnine is a type of poison. Just curious.

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
Probably. Back when I played Unreal Tournament, I was strychnine/hexagram/enlightenment. I miss those days.

135/35 and 155/55 Low Gravity Instagib, get at me.

PK Webb

Smash Champion
fun tourney...alex i need to see the bracket so i no who is who =).....vids r basically done upload them tommorow=)........i need a effin mic tho.......and nando is toooooo gud ***** took my dollar and smiled @ me.....evil muthatrucker......shout outs lata on the result thread

LLDL

Smash Hero
Random question but, I was wondering where you got your name from? I'm reading for my physiology class right now, and strychnine is a type of poison. Just curious.
Yeah thats where he got it from

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Good **** guys. I had fun. I JUST GOT HOME OMFG.

Yeah I'm sorry to hear Crismas about this being the last Saffron. Me and Kurt tried to come all the way just to support you guys, at least once. : ]

(This one guy in the last china bus was not ASIAN and it took him 2 HOURS instead of 1:30 that ******* lol)

BUT OMFG ALL THE TRANSIT I TOOK TODAY LOL

I had so much fun though. Especially with teams and such. (Friendlies I mean)

I would have entered teams but I didn't have enough to enter, meaning I needed it JUST to get back.

Also I kinda was dissapointed for almost beating ONE set... but I messed up at the end. LOL FAIR.

I'm really hungry now! I only had cereal at 5:00 am a donut at 7:00 and burger king like after singles lol.

Shoutouts later everyone. : ]

And thanks Alex for the props. : D

otg

Smash Master
I hate to say it, but I called this. John, I know we've been talking recently about why the Tristate melee scene is ****ing up right now and frankly you should've seen this coming. I saw on facebook you said "melee let you down" but **** that, it has nothing to do with Melee.

I agree that people are waaaay too reliant on rides and housing... and frankly that is a huge problem. This conversation has come up in the ATL North boards before and it doesn't end well due to the endless johns from people about how hard/unpractical it is for people in the city to get cars which is besides the point but w'e.

Frankly, the Tristate Melee scene was at a high point when ONLY the No Johns were happening. Not Saffron, and then the next week MAD, and then the next week Eggms, and then the next week DIP and then some new tourney that ****ing prog is running now, and then some tourney that so and so now wants to run. It's too much. No one has the money or time to commit to all of those.... when it was scarce it gave people more incentive to ACTUALLY come out.

This idea that more == better has just made the scene ****ty the last few months, and now that school is back in session, people are probably going to be LESS likely to want to go out on a saturday now then ever before and commit a whole day to this ****ing time consuming game. The reality is if we want things to change, people need to bow out and stop hosting all these ****ing mediocre events that only like 10 people go to and then we all ***** and wonder why melee sucks nowadays.

/rant

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I hate to say it, but I called this. John, I know we've been talking recently about why the Tristate melee scene is ****ing up right now and frankly you should've seen this coming. I saw on facebook you said "melee let you down" but **** that, it has nothing to do with Melee.

I agree that people are waaaay too reliant on rides and housing... and frankly that is a huge problem. This conversation has come up in the ATL North boards before and it doesn't end well due to the endless johns from people about how hard/unpractical it is for people in the city to get cars which is besides the point but w'e.

Frankly, the Tristate Melee scene was at a high point when ONLY the No Johns were happening. Not Saffron, and then the next week MAD, and then the next week Eggms, and then the next week DIP and then some new tourney that ****ing prog is running now, and then some tourney that so and so now wants to run. It's too much. No one has the money or time to commit to all of those.... when it was scarce it gave people more incentive to ACTUALLY come out.

This idea that more == better has just made the scene ****ty the last few months, and now that school is back in session, people are probably going to be LESS likely to want to go out on a saturday now then ever before and commit a whole day to this ****ing time consuming game. The reality is if we want things to change, people need to bow out and stop hosting all these ****ing mediocre events that only like 10 people go to and then we all ***** and wonder why melee sucks nowadays.

/rant
Honestly, me and swift iirc made a few post on this subject a few months ago.

IMO 3 tournaments every 2 months is a pretty good quantity.

What we need are more quality tourneys (lots of hype/attendance) and not a large quantity.

I think this if gonna be overlooked again because for some reason people think just cuz Socal can do it, means we should be able to do it.

I mean I'm talkin to friends in MW and they have larger tourneys than us. Last 2 my friends talked about had 35/45 entrants.....

Seriously every week is just too much stop running tourneys so often, and try to organize tournaments to get max hype/attendance.

CanISmash

Smash Lord
Elmont LI, Queens. Philadelphia during semesters.
you gotta be reliant on rides depending on the venue location.....

seriously the closer it is to easy access to nyc transit subway , the more reliable attendance you get.

the trip philly took out there I would never do in a million years. a hour and a half bus from philly to new york then a train to port authority then a bus to jersey city... just not gonna work.

you guys need better venue locations, web2zone was the best of the best when it came to that.

PK Webb

Smash Champion
i gotta agree wit otg on that one.......maybe 1 tourney a month and it can rotate between no johns and saffron

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
As as people TO for money/job the ideas we have about spreading it will never happen...people sadly need money from TOing cause its their job :(

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
Saffron came right after No Johns, it was an idea to get more Melee activity to happen in the area like Alu did with No Johns. Saffron's venue was GOOD CHOICE because of the location, NO ****ING RIDES NEEDED TO GET TO THIS ****ING VENUE! I'm so sick and tired of it. YES I know I don't get to go to No Johns all the time, YES I know I've never even been to a Tunes because those venues are more reliant on needing a ride then being at this venue. I wanted Saffron to thrive because of how easy it is. If you lived out in other parts of Jersey the chances were high that you'd have a car ANYWAY to get to this venue.

And not for nothing, I always do my best to make it out to fests in NYC. I would go anywhere for a fest as long as I wasn't overly exhausted from work/gym/life and I wouldn't mind taking buses/trains/whatever the hell. Whether I'm there or not is whether I know about the fest or not and I def. live in NJ. So I'm just leaving this as is, no more Saffrons. You guys can travel out to Nanuet, or go to Mass Madness or Tunes where you all NEED RIDES. I'm done.

PS: I do agree with you Max.

Thank you to those who came yesterday, and major props to those in PA who came. That's very strong dedication and you guys were awesome! I will make sure I return the favor when you guys host something.

Top Bottom