• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Saltus Combo (testers wanted) *please read thread*

Status
Not open for further replies.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
From the locked thread in tactical:

Hm, so I figured I'd get a bit of frame data on this.

Frame advatnage after hitting MK with a fresh ftilt @ 40%: +8

This advantage is really +10 when you take into consideration that his fastest option (airdodging) takes 3 frames to come out. So the ftilt -> footstool seems to be guaranteed. If MK ASDI's away though you'll have to dash for one or two frames before you jump to get in footstool range. I wonder if ASDIing away and jumping could mess this up? Things could get pretty tight here frame wise.

Now for the rest of this string. Let's look into MK's "stun time":

-Time spent falling after footstool: 10 frames (this is variable of course, and depends on how high he is off the ground when footstooled. )

-Stun time on the ground: 26 frames (on the 27th frame he can perform one of his tech options, which gives him immediate invulnerability)

Total time stunned: ~36 frames.

So MK is made immobile for ~36 frames. This will once again be more or less, depending on how high off the ground he is when he's footstooled.

And finally the last piece:

The time it takes sheik to footstool and fastfall to hit with a bair:
~42 frames. (this is will change slightly depending on how high she is when she footstools MK).

So MK is stunned for ~36 frames and it takes shiek ~42 frames to hit with the bair.... Yeah, I don't see how this works . In fact I couldn't get it to work a single time, even at varying percents. Sometimes Sheik would be within 1 frame of hitting MK, but then he would use a tech option and gain instant invulnerability. And yes, I was fastfalling at the right time.

To sum this up: from what I've seen MK can simply hold left or right to get out of this. Granted if done perfectly at a certain percent this may work, but it's far too finicky to be of use in a tournament setting. Even if this did work though the fact that it relies on a hit that can both be SDI'd and ASDI's makes it kinda bunk :/.

Of course I may be missing something here; if I am please correct me . On that note I'd encourage others to dink around with this and see if they get the same results I have. Also sorry for the bluntness of this post, I'm tired :C

True or not true?

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Pretty sexy if you can get this off consistently. Maybe MK isn't that invincible.

.AC.

Smash Lord
btw can you buffer a jump from the ftilt to somehow make it safer/faster?

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
holy ****! 50 people viewing sheik boards!

Savior, if i were you, post THIS thread on your video description. The more people that see this the more people who will work on this.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Depending on whether the 6 frame window to avoid it is REAL or not...

Sheik can get the ftilt chain to around the 80%, jab, grab, and perhaps finish off MK with a dacus... If there was an application to increase the damage by even 10%, then I'd think it could be a death combo.

Chain camping is already problematic for Meta Knight.
When you consider this is just one full set of needles, and positioning yourself on any stage with reasonable safety with the chain...

Approaching Sheik gets dangerous.

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace
mess up sheiks footstool by di-ing forward. im not convinced until you show someone smash diing towards/away/up/down your attack.

Dai Tian

Smash Journeyman
Wow. Just... wow. I was just starting to believe that something like this would never be found for vBrawl Metaknight too. Time to keep an eye on this haha.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNKoS4v8-84

From messing around, I noticed a few things...
1. It's hard to be in range. I pretty much relied on point blank ftilts the whole way through.
2. At 70% the fourth ftilt sent too far up for me to get a footstool. Apparently it's the height for a double hit usmash, though.
3. Strong bair doesn't work at all against Meta Knight. Sadface. So much for a possible workaround on Battlefield.
4. Fourth ftilt seems to be able to combo into - grab, ftilt (which combos into an aerial), double-hit usmash.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
have a human play and try it.
A human did play and try it.

When I test I always go to FD and set the timer to 3:00. That way I can record anything that comes out. I thought some of the testing looked cool so I recorded it.
When everyone was asking for a video I just went in and used the test vid. So you are watching test footage.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
No, that's Wario. I'd be extremely happy if we could grab release MK into an ftilt, but it only leads into side hit usmash, dash attack, needles, boost grab, or DACUS.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Have the human try to Smash DI the bair away and see if he can SDI it out of ftilt range. Or SDI IN to Sheik so that Sheik misses the ftilt.

That's how Wario escapes Peach's footstool infinite. He can SDI away enough that she can't pivot grab, so she has to dash grab and then it just becomes a chain grab and not an infinite.

Also, have the human mash up on C-stick during the ftilt > footstool stage, or mash A for nair. And have the human be trying to roll after landing.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I love how there's the "THIS DOESN'T WORK" person in every discovery thread.

Sukai

Smash Champion
Oh dear.
I was misinformed.
This isn't an infinite, it's a lock, or a combo loop.
Aside from that, intriguing to say the least. If a Meta Knight screws up between 36 and 70%, best take advantage.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
A lot of times, it doesn't work.
The frame data says it doesn't work, and it even LOOKS like it doesn't work (MK finishes his bounce animation, he SHOULD be able to roll, just like frame data suggests).

Just because we hope it works doesn't mean it does. And the fact that it's extremely impractical and will only work on FD kind of puts it in the same boat as the Sheik Chain Jacket, Peach Bair Trap, and Peach Wario Footstool Infinite as a cool thing that'll never happen in tournament.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I've decide to wait a week before I change my style to this as if this is true then sheik main focus has been clearly established now and doing this makes all other methods for racking up damage for the most part .... obsolete.

You all have one week to clearly disprove this combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom