• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
as in he was grappling the ledge and then hitting down to detach it right away?

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
I have a question, I don't know if this has been asked before or done before but... Can Samus cancel her aerial grapple for momentum into another attack?

because when I was playing today I kinda short hopped and tried to attack with the grapple, but I accidentally canceled it then slid forward into a fsmash.

I don't play samus much but can that be used or just an odd glitch?

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Samus gets no momentum from using her zair on all neutral stages. Zair is only canceled by landing. I'm sure somebody could find a glitch with her grapple on custom stages, but I'd rather not waste my time on that.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
ok... i don't really know where this question belongs... so i made a samus music video... but it only has like one brawl clip in it at all (and it's the one from the 06 trailer). does that mean that it doesn't belong on this board (or does it not matter so much, instead mainly that it's featuring samus)? if it doesn't belong here, where does it?

sorry for the lame question.

Julz

Smash Apprentice
What do you use to punish multi-hit attacks, like Falco's/Pit's neutral A, fast enough so that they don't have time to defend against it? Also, are these multi-hit attacks used often in competitive play?

0RLY

ok... i don't really know where this question belongs... so i made a samus music video... but it only has like one brawl clip in it at all (and it's the one from the 06 trailer). does that mean that it doesn't belong on this board (or does it not matter so much, instead mainly that it's featuring samus)? if it doesn't belong here, where does it?

sorry for the lame question.
Right here: http://smashboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=188
PM it to me too! I love me some Samus! =^w^=
What do you use to punish multi-hit attacks, like Falco's/Pit's neutral A, fast enough so that they don't have time to defend against it? Also, are these multi-hit attacks used often in competitive play?
Smash DI. Tap the control stick (and C-stick if you want) repeatedly in a direction to escape. Usually, it's up, but some players can DI down to tech the landing. Not sure if you can do this in brawl. Just DI up and jump. If you don't have a jump, just DI away, that's all I can really say.

If you can avoid the attack altogether, that would be even better. You can shield the whole attack and grab as the last hitbox hits (not with Samus, though). For Samus, you would use B-up OOS. Samus' fair is disjointed and may pierce through their attack. Samus' uair is also really good, it can go through Wario's dair!! zomg zomg! Generally, Screw Attack is overall the most effective option, imo.

Multi-hit attacks are heavily used, depending on the character. Multi-hit attacks are very good because they usually have longer lasting hitboxes, multiple hits (duh) so you can hit players as they come out of their dodging animations, and low knockback so you can combo.

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
I noticed when I drop from the ledge and Up-B back to sweetspot, sometimes the screw attack doesn't sweetspot the ledge. Does the Up-B not autosweet spot the edge at certain heights? Just wondering since I've been trying to find other ways to ledge stall aside from letting go and jumping back to grab it or using tether stalls. Advice would be appreciated!

SarahHarp

Smash Apprentice
I think Samus's screw attack only sweet spots when the vertical momentum starts to depreciate. So you can kindof edge stall, but you need to let yourself drop down a little more.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
I noticed when I drop from the ledge and Up-B back to sweetspot, sometimes the screw attack doesn't sweetspot the ledge. Does the Up-B not autosweet spot the edge at certain heights? Just wondering since I've been trying to find other ways to ledge stall aside from letting go and jumping back to grab it or using tether stalls. Advice would be appreciated!
Yes, from what i know, its similar to Falcons up b. When near the edge it can be used as an attack instead of grabbing the ledge, and as SarahHarp said, it will catch the ledge once the vertical rise starts to decrease.

Hive

Smash Lord
was wondering about raigoth bomb..... its not about how you do it or anything, I know how, but I never really get the opportunity to use it in regular combat.... it seems VERY situational....how often should one expect to use it in melee?

Crystanium

Smash Hero
was wondering about raigoth bomb..... its not about how you do it or anything, I know how, but I never really get the opportunity to use it in regular combat.... it seems VERY situational....how often should one expect to use it in melee?
You can use it whenever in a match. I haven't used it in my matches, but I have done a Bomb to d-tilt. Samus' d-tilt seems to come out much faster when you do that.

Hive

Smash Lord
right... I know what your saying.... I love bomb to dtilt too ^^....
Idk, raigoth bomb sounds really kwl in text... but I never really could fit it in to combat... it always seems like there is stuff of higher priority in that situation... :/
I was just wondering if I was missing out on something lol

KingK

Smash Apprentice
I've looked around, but I haven't found anything specifically explaining this.

Could somebody explain to me what people mean when they say "Up+B OoS"?

I gather that it is important for Samus' metagame, but I don't really know what it means.

Thanks.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I've looked around, but I haven't found anything specifically explaining this.

Could somebody explain to me what people mean when they say "Up+B OoS"?

I gather that it is important for Samus' metagame, but I don't really know what it means.

Thanks.
There is a thread on this, which you can find here. Up+B OoS simply means using the Screw Attack Out of Shield.

KingK

Smash Apprentice
Oh okay, I really just didn't know what the acronym referred to. I saw that post, but they only talked about the technique and never explicitly talked about what it was, how you do it, or even what "OoS" stood for.

0RLY

No, you want to do full hop homing missile > smash missile. I find it easier to just claw the Y button to jump then use my thumb to fire a missile. If you dislike clawing, you can change your X or Y button to specials to make the job easier. I don't use this often, as both me and my foe are usually never very far apart. I stick with Samus' preferred spacing: zair's max range to close range.

kown

Smash Lord
SO me (Pit) n Xyro (samus) are teaming up for the next tournry! we havent played much together but i was wondering what your ideas were as far as stage picks and strats should go?

Crystanium

Smash Hero
SO me (Pit) n Xyro (samus) are teaming up for the next tournry! we havent played much together but i was wondering what your ideas were as far as stage picks and strats should go?
I think what is most important in a team is how you both work together. I did very well against a member here at SWF and his brother when we did a team battle online. I was Pit, and my brother was Ness. However, there was another time when I went up against this same person and his brother. I was teamed up with someone else who is also a member here at SWF. We did poorly, because I wasn't familiar with the way he played.

So, here is a bit of advice for you and Xyro. Become familiar with the way both of you play. Xyro, be familiar with the way kown plays; kown, be familiar with the way Xyro plays. This is very important, because you want to be fighting as a team and not against each other. When my brother and I brawled with the member of SWF, we did great, winning three games out of five, because we were familiar with each others ways.

As for advice, I've no information on stages to choose or strategies to employ. Just play smart, minimize risks, and space yourselves. Also, dress nicely so that you can get a sense of self-confidence, and play to win. Remember, Brawl, like any game, knows of no morality. Spam if you must. The only thing Brawl recognizes is winning and losing. Play to win.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
yea thats what im thinking spamming arrows n zair.
Pit's f-tilt is nice. I've used it on my brother whenever we played against each other. I'd use my f-tilt, move away from my brother, and then go up to him and use f-tilt again. Sometimes moving away by walking in the opposite direction is better than rolling out of the way.

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
Anyone ever had the trouble where you try to grapple the edge, but your Samus just air-dodges instead? From what I tested, it occurs when you press Z right after you perform a Fair, Uair, and Dair. Most noticeably the Fair, even if you use Shield+A. Is there something unique about these frames?

EDIT: Thanks for the earlier tip, ORLy. I got that Double Missile working now.

psike

Smash Apprentice
Anyone ever had the trouble where you try to grapple the edge, but your Samus just air-dodges instead? From what I tested, it occurs when you press Z right after you perform a Fair, Uair, and Dair. Most noticeably the Fair, even if you use Shield+A. Is there something unique about these frames?

EDIT: Thanks for the earlier tip, ORLy. I got that Double Missile working now.
I used to have that problem as well- I really don't know why it happens. I usually get better results if I use Sheild + A in the air, it is more reliable (even though it is a pain).

0RLY

To use zair after your grapple, you MUST airdodge before zairing. The zair will come out a tad slower until you get used to the timing.

...man, I can't believe how many times I've heard people say that while I was learning how to wavedash. (._.")

0RLY

Samus loooves platforms, so Battlefield is a great choice. Frigate Orpheon isn't a bad idea, depending on your foe's recovery. Norfair is also a good pick, if your tournament allows it. Lylat is pretty good, if you have good luck with the stage's tilting. The height of Lylat's platforms are perfect for Samus. Only CP this if you're used to the tilting. Lastly, there's Green Greens. Once you get used to this stage, you either hate it or you love it. I'm one of those people who loves it. Samus gets superior ground no matter where she is on the stage.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Samus loooves platforms, so Battlefield is a great choice. Frigate Orpheon isn't a bad idea, depending on your foe's recovery. Norfair is also a good pick, if your tournament allows it. Lylat is pretty good, if you have good luck with the stage's tilting. The height of Lylat's platforms are perfect for Samus. Only CP this if you're used to the tilting. Lastly, there's Green Greens. Once you get used to this stage, you either hate it or you love it. I'm one of those people who loves it. Samus gets superior ground no matter where she is on the stage.
In regard to Battlefield, you need to be careful if you are brawling with someone who plays King DeDeDe. King DeDeDe will surpass Samus in spamming attacks while on Battlefield. He can stand under one of the platfors and spam his Waddle Dees, Waddle Doos, and Gordos. Trying to get near him with the use of Homing Missiles and z-air can be difficult. I just fought someone today who played as King DeDeDe. I lost for another reason, other than actually being KO'd by actual attacks.

0RLY

If you're using Samus against D3, you've already made a serious mistake. D3>Samus in almost every possible condition. I don't think any CP stages can help you in this.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Do you guys belive in Samus future potential?

I soo wish for new discoveries for her.. :(

If there only was a way to perform the multi missile launch from MP2 *wishes* :urg:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Do we have any sweet names for the combos of Samus? <=o)
You know stuff like "Ken combo" for Marth and such things.

At least we've got the "Rohins combo" (downB > UpB).. to save ourselfs with when we're in the bubble of danger ;P

lol, I use to say "Skyfire" when i dubble fair my friends xD *Dddddom, Dddddom*

You guys know any names? <=o/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom