• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Noob's Question: How do you control whether you shoot a Super missle or Homing missle?
O_o . . . . . . . . !

So youre new to Samus ey? :)

If you tilt the Control stick slowly left/right and press B you fire a Homer.
Can also be done faster by snapping the Control stick, but then you may want to snap it only half way left/right or it will turn out to be a Smash missile..
(Like a Ftilt with the B-button)

If you snap the Control stick left/right fast and press B you fire a Smash missile..
(Like a Fsmash with the B-button)

Oh snap!! I made Missle shootin sound hard! :laugh: lol

How do people ledgehop into Zair? I just end up regrabbing the stupid ledge.
You must be OVER the stage when you press Z.
Drop the ledge by pressing back then quickly jump and move forward then zair...

i1337

Smash Ace
lol the missile thing was useful, i didnt know than (new to samus) :chuckle:

another n00b question lol....

which of samus's moves is the best out of these for killing: up angled fsmash, dtilt, or dsmash?

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
lol the missile thing was useful, i didnt know than (new to samus) :chuckle:

another n00b question lol....

which of samus's moves is the best out of these for killing: up angled fsmash, dtilt, or dsmash?
The vast majority of my KOs come from Dtilt, so I'd have to say that.

For more information, you can read up on the "Most Reliable KO Moves" thread.

Aran

Smash Apprentice
A very VERY underestimated kill move is utilt. If you catch them at the right angle, it'll send them in a diagonal arc that I've killed people with at around 110%, and it REALLY frustrates spotdodgers/airdodgers because of the startup delay.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
dsmash easily has less knockback than dtilt

up-angled fsmash is technically the strongest, killing as low as 110%

utilt is about as strong as a normal fsmash, however the range makes it significantly more useful, although slower

*a rare moment of 0RLy being lazy* ~I'm sleepy, dont' bother me T_T"

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I thought I'd ask first rather than making a topic.

I found out that if you lay a bomb in the air, so when it explodes it is at your feet, you can F-smash an opponent and their trajectory will be downwards+horizontal.

Is this known? It could be a great set up for a spike.

Note: It's very difficult to time, and it can be teched. I'm still testing this out, but I believe it can completely stop momentum, leaving them open for a charge shot.

So far: Stand just within jab-reach of your opponent. At the peak of your jump, lay a bomb. Hit the c-stick in the direction of your opponent to fling samus towards them, and then hit the c-stick in the opposite direction to f-smash. If done right, this should allow for perfect timing.

Alright, so, they fly away too far to be locked in for the charge shot. If only samus had a DACUS. Samus boards, do you know if there is something you can follow it up with?

SaiX

Smash Apprentice
samus' K.O. movements: dtilt, utilt, bair, charger shot (neutral b), fsmash, (hmm, dsmash with high %), and... nothing more :dizzy: .... ahh, i forgot dair :colorful:

0RLY

SinkingHigher, are you talking about fsmashing your foe into your bomb?

You can't follow up a fsmash with anything other than missile spam.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
SinkingHigher, are you talking about fsmashing your foe into your bomb?

You can't follow up a fsmash with anything other than missile spam.
Yes. That's pretty much what im talking about. It's pretty obvious, so i would imagine it has been discovered already. Ergo post not topic.

Am I right in thinking that?

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Is there any way to EAT UP a shield very quickly with Samus?
I not sure but a shield can take a maximum of 70 damage.. or?

I would love to have a good way of crushing the opponents shield.. maybe including the fully charged beam..

Any hints on how to eat shields? and maybe any mindgames to aid it?

samus' K.O. movements: dtilt, utilt, bair, charger shot (neutral b), fsmash, (hmm, dsmash with high %), and... nothing more :dizzy: .... ahh, i forgot dair :colorful:
Maybe nair for a stage spike at times? =)

Xx-M@TT-xX

Smash Rookie
when you use samus grapple beam in the air straight after you jump you can hit the oppenent but i cant seem to do it fast enough i have to jump ff and then use the beam. is there a technique for this ?

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Is there any time the Charge shot ALWAYS seems to connect?
Or at least very, very high posibility?

landing lag maybe?

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
i usually short hop homing missle, landing canceled homing missle, short hop, zair, charge shot. people like to roll back or foward after the zair and end up getting hit a lot.

Aran

Smash Apprentice
I did it once against ORly. It's rare, but it can happen if they're on or close to the edge and underneath it. I think it just stagespikes them off the lip.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Can someone please find a new effective "find" soon? I'm dying to improve my Samus..
She's standing still for the moment =/

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
You must be OVER the stage when you press Z.
Drop the ledge by pressing back then quickly jump and move forward then zair...
But. . . you don't.

Tudor and. . . Hylian, I think, do it all the time from below. Well, just slightly below. They shoot it when touching the stage, and the beam comes out just as they rise above the platform. But they initiate it while Samus' arm is below; you can see the beam come up through the ground.

And being above isn't sufficient, either. You have to be strictly past the lip (if you're close to it vertically), but even then, my game still doesn't like me sometimes, and I just get the "nope, sorry, your grapple DNE" ****ed behaviour as though I had already tethered thrice.

Question:
Where was it actually confirmed that Samus can't super wave dash? There's no reason for it to be impossible in Brawl. Indeed, even the argument: "They know it was a glitch in Melee" doesn't hold water, since it relies on a premise: That the game developers expend any effort to do actual error testing. As the re-emergence of old glitches - and the ridiculous ease and scope of D3's infinites - proves, they clearly %&#$ don't. >:-(

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
But. . . you don't.

Tudor and. . . Hylian, I think, do it all the time from below. Well, just slightly below. They shoot it when touching the stage, and the beam comes out just as they rise above the platform. But they initiate it while Samus' arm is below; you can see the beam come up through the ground.
I have to try that..
---------

Couple of questions

1. Which of Samus's attacks has the most priority? *Wants a list on top 5*:)
2. Up angeled Fsmash higher prio than normal Fsmash?
3. Does her smashes get more priority the longer they're charged?

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
How should I Smash DI against Sheik's moves? Particularly Jab and of course ftilt.

EDIT: another question, a user named "Smash Gigas" once posted this:

For those of us with slow fingers, an easier way to FFZair is to
-UP (Tap Jump) + Y (for instant Double-Jump off ground)-->FFZair.
Problems are, though, it uses your Double Jump, and isn't quite as fast so.... [/rimshot].

SHMC --> FFZair is pretty neat looking.
I must not know something about ffzair, because I don't understand how this would help people "with slow fingers." What is it accomplishing that simply jumping, fast falling, and zairing does not? You don't have to use the same fingers for any of that, not even on the default control scheme.

0RLY

Question:
Where was it actually confirmed that Samus can't super wave dash? There's no reason for it to be impossible in Brawl. Indeed, even the argument: "They know it was a glitch in Melee" doesn't hold water, since it relies on a premise: That the game developers expend any effort to do actual error testing. As the re-emergence of old glitches - and the ridiculous ease and scope of D3's infinites - proves, they clearly %&#$ don't. >:-(
What are the chances? Especially without AR.
I have to try that..
---------

Couple of questions

1. Which of Samus's attacks has the most priority? *Wants a list on top 5*:)
Jab, Dtilt, Uair, Screw Attack, Zair
2. Up angeled Fsmash higher prio than normal Fsmash?
Nope
3. Does her smashes get more priority the longer they're charged?
As evidenced by Advancing Samus' Metagame thread, Samus users don't charge smashes.
How should I Smash DI against Sheik's moves? Particularly Jab and of course ftilt.
Single jabs are true combos. Multi-jabs, DI away/up. Ftilt, DI up and jump away.
EDIT: another question, a user named "Smash Gigas" once posted this:

I must not know something about ffzair, because I don't understand how this would help people "with slow fingers." What is it accomplishing that simply jumping, fast falling, and zairing does not? You don't have to use the same fingers for any of that, not even on the default control scheme.
shffz is hard to time. Most players only get the zair to reach 1/3 of it's full length. Samus' double jump is lower than her full hop, so performing an instant double jump, fastfalling, then zairing will provide the second (or third) fastest way to zair.

I'm pretty sure sh zair comes out fastest, but djffz allows for a faster follow up. Gigas didn't really mean "slow fingers", he meant 'not as good timing'.... or something like that.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
What are the chances? Especially without AR.
Same as Melee's? Who knows? That's not an answer.
Again, why was such a thing in Melee, and if it can happen there, why not here?

shffz is hard to time. Most players only get the zair to reach 1/3 of it's full length. Samus' double jump is lower than her full hop, so performing an instant double jump, fastfalling, then zairing will provide the second (or third) fastest way to zair.
But. . . how does that improve any window for doing it? You still have to wait until you stop rising, then fast fall, and zair at a certain height for maximum range and minimum altitude.

Doing it might increase the time between the fast fall and the zair, but it doesn't ease up on the precision you need for the zair itself, and as I said, the fast fall and the zair input aren't drawing on the same fingers at all.

I also don't understand what you mean by Jab being a true combo. True combos are inescapable, but that's not exclusive with SDI being meaningful. Can I move with SDI when struck by Sheik's Jab, and if so, where should I aim to escape when I eventually do?

0RLY

Same as Melee's? Who knows? That's not an answer.
Again, why was such a thing in Melee, and if it can happen there, why not here?
It was in Melee due to a glitch. And with AR we took apart and analyzed every possible action on every single frame. We don't have that kind of power in Brawl. Stop getting your hopes up. Snake has the mortar slide, Samus has practically nothing. These aren't the same games. Nintendo didn't copy and paste the characters over (though they did copy+paste the trophies). It can happen here, the chances are just absurdly low. Stick to dacus if you want speed bursts (something Samus doesn't have).
PK-ow! said:
But. . . how does that improve any window for doing it? You still have to wait until you stop rising, then fast fall, and zair at a certain height for maximum range and minimum altitude.

Doing it might increase the time between the fast fall and the zair, but it doesn't ease up on the precision you need for the zair itself, and as I said, the fast fall and the zair input aren't drawing on the same fingers at all.
Instant double jump reaches a greater height than a shorthop, widening the window to zair after a fastfall. This isn't to get maximum range/minimum altitude. This is to land sooner after the hitbox comes out so that it's possible to get true combos. Compare this to SHFFLing and SHLing in Melee. FALCO'S LASERS! NOT AERIALS. I know someone would've gotten confused... Anyways, SHL isn't fast enough to true combo into anything other than Shines, Grabs, and Jabs (maybe some others). SHFFLs are fast enough to land other moves like utilt, fsmash, dsmash, etc. There are TONS of things your opponent can do to avoid things like these, so don't make assumptions based on what I just said. I based this on the Training mode combo counter thingy.
PK-ow! said:
I also don't understand what you mean by Jab being a true combo. True combos are inescapable, but that's not exclusive with SDI being meaningful. Can I move with SDI when struck by Sheik's Jab, and if so, where should I aim to escape when I eventually do?
Can you humanly SDI out of Sheik's jabs? Do you have 2 frame reaction time? Can you SDI as soon as you see those 2 frame jabs occur? Can you move your fingers fast enough to SDI before the next jab comes out? kthxbi

I already mentioned that there's difference between her first 2 jabs and her multi jabs. You can DI out of the multijabs by DIing up and away. Just DIing away will get you hit by ftilt. Also, if you DI down to shield, Samus can't shield grab quickly, so that's not an option either. Samus is floaty, so DIing up is superior.There's a bunch of matches between Rohins (Samus) and Gimpyfish (Sheik). Check those out if you need more help.

Sorry if I sounded arrogant. Text is a poor (but effective) substitute for words. I hope I helped.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
Well.. I got a question: anyone know any smart control configuration that make the Short Hop easily? Its hard for me do in alot of rows soo any help?

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
I just use the Y button for short-hopping. Other than that, I don't necessairly think there's an "easier" controll-scheme for it.... It just takes practice and getting used to.

If you need to, you could practice in Training Mode, decreasing the speed so you can Short Hop easier. Then keep moving the speed faster and faster untill you get used to it.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Question: Can Samus DACUS? Just making sure because I was playing with her and I did a sliding Up smash...

Uffe

Smash Hero
Question: Can Samus DACUS? Just making sure because I was playing with her and I did a sliding Up smash...
I believe she can. My brother Dryn done it before. Or something like it. I know that's not helpful. :urg:

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Oh, I know Dryn...kinda. Thanks anyway, I figured it out. If you run and do your U-smash, you slide a bit...so, I did a fair, landed and it kinda very smoothly went into a sliding u-smash. I don't play Samus much so I was just kind of curious. =P

DotHack

Smash Apprentice
I've been playing Samus for a while and there is 1 match-up I'm having an extremely hard time with. Olimar. In the first tournament I went to, I got utterly annihilated by Olimars. It seems that no matter what I do, I always end up in a Pivot Grab started CG or an Up-Smash. Is there something I'm missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom