• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Samus

Otterz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Otterz
ChoZox just made Top 8 at Paragon, repping our girl Samus! We might see a rise in popularity if he places high enough!

Last edited:

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
Chozo's play is really really good, you guys shouldn't miss it. He has really good spacing and patience but knows when to flip the switch and chase down. Very hype and super useful data!

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Mixing up landing with bombs and Up B's are whats impressing me the most, I like to see some B reversal implemented tho!

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Chozo's play is really really good, you guys shouldn't miss it. He has really good spacing and patience but knows when to flip the switch and chase down. Very hype and super useful data!
Vids??????????

kxiong92

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kxiong
Chozox was very patient in all of his matches. UpB out of shield is so good. I love his use of Samus' Charge Shot.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Step 1: Learn to confuse people with Morph Ball and bombs. (Down B)
Step 2: Confuse people more with Charge Shot by charging to and shooting at different points in the charge.

Otterz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Otterz
Step 1: Learn to confuse people with Morph Ball and bombs. (Down B)
Step 2: Confuse people more with Charge Shot by charging to and shooting at different points in the charge.
We had this discussion in another thread, but bombs are not good in excess because of their miniscule damage/knockback and end lag. So be careful spamming them to confuse people.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
We had this discussion in another thread, but bombs are not good in excess because of their miniscule damage/knockback and end lag. So be careful spamming them to confuse people.
Fair enough points. Just wanted to point out the less obvious but important aspects of Samus play.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Good fun Roach!
You're definitely the better Samus. I learned a lot playing you.
I banished the down-air from my repertoire and you got so much mileage out of it, I have to reintroduce it... particularly that down air fastfall up-b.
The lag was at points utterly insane. I couldn't do a damn thing off stage.

RoachCake

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RoachCake
3DS FC
2621-3061-7090
Good fun Roach!
You're definitely the better Samus. I learned a lot playing you.
I banished the down-air from my repertoire and you got so much mileage out of it, I have to reintroduce it... particularly that down air fastfall up-b.
The lag was at points utterly insane. I couldn't do a damn thing off stage.
Good games man! D-air is probably my favorite move for Samus, so whenever I can, I'll go for it. D-air > Up B is really good for racking up that extra %.
At least the lag got better after a while. We should play again sometime.

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
Haha Im back after trying out Pacman but I like Samus better ~<3 (I prefer my fellow woman) jk

EDIT: Lol nvmd

Last edited:

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Don't know if its already known or particularly that useful, but you can change the direction you're facing just after starting your screw attack, could help with ensuring you're facing the right way to snap ledges n stuff

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
Don't know if its already known or particularly that useful, but you can change the direction you're facing just after starting your screw attack, could help with ensuring you're facing the right way to snap ledges n stuff
She has been able to do that since Melee (I don't know about ssb64). It was more useful then since you would just die if you faced the wrong way, but its still good info as Samus won't sweetspot if her back is to the edge during the up+b as you mentioned.

Last edited:

GdspdUblkprzdnt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GdspdUblkprzdnt
Guys, I'm making a comprehensive list of combos and strings so I can make a chart which sorts all her combos in order of average percentages they can start at sorted in order of percentages from earliest to latest. Send me your obscure combos/strings.

Once I'm done all make it all pretty in PS and post it for everyone to have.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
GdspdUblkprzdnt, that sounds great.

I'm not available to test these with my WiiU at the moment (work week...) but I'll definitely get back to you as I would really like that list as well and willing to help you with it and give you more specific %s

Here are some true combos as confirmed in training mode combo calculator:

D-air -> up-B as soon as they start to launch circa 30% until high percents
D-air -> jump -> Down-air (very specific char dependent percentage may link to others)
D-air -> jump -> nair mid-high percents
D-air -> jump -> up air mid percents (to get good number of multi hits in)
D-air -> jump -> up-air -> jump up-air true combos at low percents on certain heavies like DK timing is hard
Grounded opponent uptilt -> up-B as soon as they start to launch circa 30% but because uptilt launches harder it stops working earlier instead you use...
Grounded uptilt -> up B low %s
Grounded uptilt -> jump -> up-B mid %
Grounded uptilt -> jump -> jump -> up-B (does work !) High %s. True kill combo on basically any platform and at specific percents on specific characters on the ground (eat that ZAMUS)

Some strings:

cross-up dash attack -> SH jump -> cross up-air -> SH jump -> b-air -> b-air only chains at zero %, this is the RC string totally stole it from him. I love this string. But I have improved on it! See...
cross-up dash attack -> SH jump -> cross up-air -> SH jump -> b-air -> b-air -> reverse aerial charge shot! I dub this the DM string. It's 75% damage poetry if you can land it. Best done on an aggressive opponent you just took a stock from. They have 0% and you have a charge shot. If started close to the edge, this kills.
SH -> nair -> SH -> nair -> nair gimp starting from the edge. Basically only strings at 20%. Some char dependence and your opponent must reflexively jump into the 2nd nair.
jab 1 -> jab 2 -> run off stage d-air. 30% or around when the 2nd jab becomes a true combo. They are standing at the edge and you are facing them from onstage. A very quick spike, my go to.

I'm experimenting with RAR cross up-air recently.

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Not sure, if you or anyone are, post here and will watch on twitch!

Last edited:

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Cant say I've ever faced a high level Megman, but the pellets seem incredibly difficult for samus to break through if the Mega Man knows what they're doing and can space well, especially since we're a big enouigh target for them to use nair safely on too.

Did u capture any footage/will the games be uploaded at all @ Xyro77 Xyro77 ?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The issue Megaman players seem to have with her in his bad matchup thread is that her half-charged
shots blow through most of Megaman's projectiles.

Xyro77

Stop getting bodied.
Sorry, man. I've lost too much from brawl to smash 4. I don't know what to do with a watered down samus.

But hey, 7th is good for a guy who doesn't play smash until tournament day.

Last edited:

RoachCake

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RoachCake
3DS FC
2621-3061-7090
I've been doing this thing for awhile now in some of my Jab Lock setups that's being called a "Jab Cancel", and wanted to know if any of you guys have known about this. I'm not sure if it has any significant use outside of Jab Locks for Samus though.

It may have just bumped Link up on the tier list. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWmtA1VCHWY

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
Any tips/tricks for dealing with rush down characters like sheik, falcon, fox, or Zss.

RoachCake

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RoachCake
3DS FC
2621-3061-7090
Any tips/tricks for dealing with rush down characters like sheik, falcon, fox, or Zss.
Be patient.
Use Homing missiles for your approaches.
Pivot grabs and pivot tilts are really good against all of these guys.
Try not to be too trigger happy with CS, mostly go for Roll punishes, Ledge getup/roll reads and offstage kills.

Walking and Bombs are some mixups I like to use.

Xyro77

Be patient.
Use Homing missiles for your approaches.
Pivot grabs and pivot tilts are really good against all of these guys.
Try not to be too trigger happy with CS, mostly go for Roll punishes, Ledge getup/roll reads and offstage kills.

Walking and Bombs are some mixups I like to use.
Patience, is a MUST. remember, THEY excel at aggro, you do not. So dont play their game but instead make them play yours (its very hard but it can be done).

I disagree with pivot/dash/regular grab usage. One missed grab vs those characters can lead to you being KOed (fox/falcon) or combo-ed to hell and back (ZS/Sheik). In fact i recommend NOT using grabs unless you notice habits that allow you to land them safely.

Never use missles if the enemy is on stage especially vs those characters because they are extremely fast and can catch you EASILY while you are in missile lag.

F tilt/jab 1 are great (but unsafe when shielded) and UP+B out of shield does wonders because all of these characters must be in your face to do their work.

CS i totally agree. Abuse rolls, teching and airdodges into the ground with CS. Zair off stage when possible.

Stay away from bombs. worst move she has by far.

Last edited:

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529

Thoughts on Samus' placing on most recent (publicly voted) tier list?

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
At any given time on this forum I see a couple of threads of the type "how to not auto-lose against Samus" and similar.
I don't see that with Bowser forum, let's say. They may not be be highest competitively minded players that are struggling in the matchup, but irrespective, I don't feel the same level of despair in this forum than I do when I read other threads like "nerfed into the trashcan", "a dead end character", etc...
These votes are mostly for player preference. We'll see where the chips fall ultimately, and I personally think that despite assurances to the contrary there may be a patch come Mew2.
I'm having great fun as it is, there are weaknesses but they're nowhere near as bad as brawl.

Last edited:
Top Bottom