• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar on the Melee vs Brawl debate: What does competitive really mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Huh?! I like Brawl better than Melee though. That MUST mean it's better!

Anyway, Melee online (with no lag) would be any Melee competitive smasher's dream. And Nintendo said if they hadn't hired Sakurai, Brawl really would've been Melee 2.0, literally.
I remember hearing this somewhere. Link please? I don't mean the one with the green hat and sword. :laugh:

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Jesus Christ, guys, you could at least try to be a little more... understanding? Tolerant? I'm not exactly sure what to say, other than sh*t like what thumbswayup and Eggm are saying should be reserved for d*ckheads and stupids. You don't like Brawl, we freaking get it. Stop bashing people who do like it just because you don't like the situation; they have every right to like Brawl and play it competitively.

I like Melee better (competitively, at least), and I'm not bashing every person who has a different entertainment preference than me.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Brawl hasn't died yet and probably won't for a while because it has a population of 30-192 people playing it in many tournaments. Why would it die if there are 192 people entering a single tournament for it? : P

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Jesus Christ, guys, you could at least try to be a little more... understanding? Tolerant? I'm not exactly sure what to say, other than sh*t like what thumbswayup and Eggm are saying should be reserved for d*ckheads and stupids. You don't like Brawl, we freaking get it. Stop bashing people who do like it just because you don't like the situation; they have every right to like Brawl and play it competitively.

I like Melee better (competitively, at least), and I'm not bashing every person who has a different entertainment preference than me.
Understanding? Why shouldn't I bash that which has overthrown my favorite game on the competitive scene? I have more hatred towards what Brawl has done to community than the game itself (although it does suck too).

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Huh?! I like Brawl better than Melee though. That MUST mean it's better!

Anyway, Melee online (with no lag) would be any Melee competitive smasher's dream. And Nintendo said if they hadn't hired Sakurai, Brawl really would've been Melee 2.0, literally.

Didn't Sakurai have a hand in both Smash 64 and Melee? *goes to check*

Yeah. Sakurai was the director of all three games. The same man who made Brawl was the same man who made Melee.

Although I would have preferred Melee 2.0. I feel like that's the direction they need to go in if they want a game that will have the same longevity.

Melee was a great game and if they just updated it, I don't think there would be many people complaining. I would love the game even more if they just fixed a few things wrong with the gameplay (Yes, Melee is not perfect. It simply has far less problems than 64 and Brawl) , added some more characters, and updated the graphics. I wouldn't even need new stages.

I really wish someone from Smashboards could head the project of SSB4.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Didn't Sakurai have a hand in both Smash 64 and Melee? *goes to check*

Yeah. Sakurai was the director of all three games. The same man who made Brawl was the same man who made Melee.

Although I would have preferred Melee 2.0. I feel like that's the direction they need to go in if they want a game that will have the same longevity.

Melee was a great game and if they just updated it, I don't think there would be many people complaining. I would love the game even more if they just fixed a few things wrong with the gameplay (Yes, Melee is not perfect. It simply has far less problems than 64 and Brawl) , added some more characters, and updated the graphics. I wouldn't even need new stages.

I really wish someone from Smashboards could head the project of SSB4.
Sakurai is independent. He left Nintendo and HAL around 2004-5ish. That is why they had to "hire"him again.

Also, yes, SSB4 (if there ever is one) towards the Melee direction would own.

Anyway, Variola, this fact was said in Iwata Says on the DOJO!.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Understanding? Why shouldn't I bash that which has overthrown my favorite game on the competitive scene? I have more hatred towards what Brawl has done to community than the game itself (although it does suck too).
That sounds like a personal problem to me. Like the great Wil Wheaton says, "Don't be a d*ck."

thumbswayup

Smash Master
That sounds like a personal problem to me. Like the great Wil Wheaton says, "Don't be a d*ck."
It's not a personal problem if it affects the entire commuity. How would you feel if the game you loved to play competitively and were jsut getting good at was ripped away and replaced by a simpler, dumbed down, boring version? I don't mind people playing Brawl competitively, hell I'll even attend a few because teams are somewhat fun, but when every tournament in the MD/VA area is now Brawl and not Melee, it really hurts me.

MD/VA was once renowned as being the best area for Smash competition. We ***** in Melee, there were smashfests every week, people came from all over to smash with chu and azen and chillin. I loved playing OOS and people from my area, because they were all amazing and I learned something new everytime I played. Now what? We're the area flooded with the most Metaknights in the whole god**** country. We might be amazing at Brawl, but is that something to be proud of? How would you like it if at every Brawl tournament you attended you were knocked out by another Metaknight? It gets old, real fast.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Yeah, that sucks and all, but guess what? Everyone is dealing with that problem. It's validity doesn't make it any more of a reason to be a d*ck to anyone. There is no reason that Brawl and Melee brackets can't exist at the same event; my next tournament will have both.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: if you aren't actively holding Melee tournaments, you have no right to complain that there are no more Melee tournaments. No johns, thumbswayup.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
If I was able to hold tournaments, I'd host a Melee one every week. But as it is now, I am unable to.

I'm not being a **** to anyone, I just can't stand when people claim that Melee is dead when it should be Brawl that is dying. I agree, though, there is no reason that Brawl and Melee brackets can't exist at the same event. Too bad that never happens in the MD/VA area. It's all Brawl tournys over here, and so now you can see why I'm so upset. I wouldn't mind if both games were at events, but it's always just Brawl and no Melee.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
I'm not being a **** to anyone, I just can't stand when people claim that Melee is dead when it should be Brawl that is dying.
...what? You don't see the double-standard here? People like Brawl just like you like Melee. If its wrong for them to tell you that Brawl should be replacing Melee (nothing should replace Melee, it's a classic), then what right do you have to tell all the people who like Brawl and play it competitively that their game should go away?

Whether or not you have logical reasons to hate Brawl, you nor anyone else should be flaming anyone else for their choice of game. That's why SWF is going down the sh*tter right now, because of crap like that.

RolandBeoulve

Smash Apprentice
I'd be perfectly happy with melee/brawl tourneys. If your not going to hold your own or play regular friendlies with good people in your area then complaining is kind of pointless. Both sides of the arguments are both rehashed every other day. Sad fact is if everyone is holding brawl tournaments it's because the majority of people want to play brawl. Being a minority sucks, but thats how it works.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
...what? You don't see the double-standard here? People like Brawl just like you like Melee. If its wrong for them to tell you that Brawl should be replacing Melee (nothing should replace Melee, it's a classic), then what right do you have to tell all the people who like Brawl and play it competitively that their game should go away?

Whether or not you have logical reasons to hate Brawl, you nor anyone else should be flaming anyone else for their choice of game. That's why SWF is going down the sh*tter right now, because of crap like that.
OK, Brawl can stay. It just shouldn't hinder the number of Melee tournaments, but it's very existence does this, precisely why I want it to die. Understand?

RolandBeoulve

Smash Apprentice
He understands, you just fail to understand that your a minority and will be less represented. I'm guessing your white and a male in a pretty well to do family>.> (mainly a joke but you get what im saying)

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
OK, Brawl can stay. It just shouldn't hinder the number of Melee tournaments, but it's very existence does this, precisely why I want it to die. Understand?
Brawl in and of itself isn't doing that, though... It's mainly the fault of TO's. Like we established, Brawl and Melee can run at the same event. Why not do it, then? You'll net more people, make more money (if that's your goal), people will be happier, AND Melee won't die off.

It's win/win/win/win. Blaming Brawl and the people who like it solves nothing. Holding Tournament Organizers to a higher standard/different practices might do something, though.

EDIT for the Dark Lord: Oh no... post 666. I can feel the darkness empowering me!

...oh, that's just Aura. Never mind.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Brawl in and of itself isn't doing that, though... It's mainly the fault of TO's. Like we established, Brawl and Melee can run at the same event. Why not do it, then? You'll net more people, make more money (if that's your goal), people will be happier, AND Melee won't die off.

It's win/win/win/win. Blaming Brawl and the people who like it solves nothing. Holding Tournament Organizers to a higher standard/different practices might do something, though.

EDIT for the Dark Lord: Oh no... post 666. I can feel the darkness empowering me!

...oh, that's just Aura. Never mind.
I completely agree.

RolandBeoulve

Smash Apprentice
All you need is love, love, love is all you need~ thumbs I can't see diddy doing his thing in your sig and that makes me sad=/

thumbswayup

Smash Master
haha just check out my public profile and you should be able to see it all. Unless the new swf is gay and doesn't let you. I have to keep Wes' quote in my sig, though, it's just too **** funny.

ShaolinAce

Smash Ace
It would be great if every tourny had Brawl and Melee. That's what Smash tourny's should be showcaseing smash games. I wouldn't even mind 64 to be included. The scene would have so much variety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom