• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar on the Melee vs Brawl debate: What does competitive really mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I'm still not following how wavedashing is a glitch. You jump, okay. You air-dodge into the ground, okay. You slide along the ground due to the air-dodge momentum, okay. Where's the unintended part here? The fact that gamers decided to use this momentum to their advantage?
For characters with low traction, Luigi, it would make sense, but with the little to no friction from the space animals or other characters it didn't. If you ram into the ground you should stop moving, jumping six inches and sliding ten on non slippery surfaces.

How is Wobbles a glitch? Isn't boost grabbing still in Brawl? Hell, didn't they expand on that by allowing boost upsmashes? I'm so confused here...
Wobbling resets the grab time, Boost grabbing expands a persons grab range to three times the normal amount even from a normal dash grab, shiek's grab range triples in size. If it made i's way into Brawl, meh it happens. Not all glitches are caught by developers.

kamekasu

Smash Ace
Wavedashing was discovered by the dev team, and was left in, intentionally. Even by your definition of a glitch it isn't one.

Wobbling isn't a glitch, it's just resetting the grab timer with Nana's F-tilt so that you can infinitely keep your opponent in a grab.

IC's Freeze Glitch IS a glitch, but nobody uses it because it's banned so it doesn't really matter anyways.

Moonwalking is just abusing the games physics, and it's only useful with a handful of characters. It's hardly gamebreaking or game-changing in any sense.

Yo-yo Glitch can only be used by one character. Not to mention Ness' metagame is based around DJC not Yo-yo glitch. Either way, nobody expected the Yo-yo Glitch to return anyways,

Supercakes

Smash Rookie
Melee is amazing because of the physics, not the "glitches". Yea even though I learned it recently, the official site of smash 64 told us how to z-cancel, which is akin to l-cancel in Melee.

Even if you don't l-cancel or wavedash in Melee, you can still pull off combos, edgeguard, go on the offensive, etc, because of the nonfloatiness and the hitstun.

Brawl is super defensive. If you go on the offensive the whole match, you're gonna get punished because of less hitstun shielding is super easy and you can punish multihit moves easy.

People like Brawl because it's easier and it's a new game, but it will definately not last.

RDK

Smash Hero
Gliches =/= everything/all advanced techs

There is more, I just named a few off the top of my head. There is Wobbling, dash cancel grabbing, Freezing Glitch. A lot of glitch techs involved wave dashing to some extent being the moist abused Glitch in Brawl.

You can use them, but due to the nature of glitches being unintended events from accidental programing, don't expect them to return in a sequel.
ALL fighting games have glitches. Just be glad the Smash series doesn't have ridiculous infinites and pseudo-infinites like MvC2 or GG, just to name a few. In fact, glitch-wise, Melee doesn't even come close to some other games.

And just for the record, neither L-cancelling nor wavedashing (the two adv. techs n00bs like to call upon the most) are true glitches. The devlopers knew about them and left them in. L-cancelling was in both 64 and Melee; the Smash website when 64 came out told you how to perform it. Wavedashing was found by the devs in pre-game development, and was left in.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
For characters with low traction, Luigi, it would make sense, but with the little to no friction from the space animals or other characters it didn't. If you ram into the ground you should stop moving, jumping six inches feet and sliding ten on non slippery surfaces.

Wobbling resets the grab time, Boost grabbing expands a persons grab range to three times the normal amount even from a normal dash grab, shiek's grab range triples in size. If it made i's way into Brawl, meh it happens. Not all glitches are caught by developers.

Wobbling doesn't reset the grab time btw. Which is proven because you can't just mash the A button at any pace and expect it to work. It has to do with hit stun.

And I don't see why WD should not have been a part of the game. I still don't see it as a glitch.

Your momentum slides you from your airdodge. If it makes sense for one character why doesn't it make sense for every other character?

Corigames

Smash Hero
For characters with low traction, Luigi, it would make sense, but with the little to no friction from the space animals or other characters it didn't. If you ram into the ground you should stop moving, jumping six inches feet and sliding ten on non slippery surfaces.
You are discussing inconsistencies in physics for a game that features floating puff balls VS dinosaurs VS talking animals from space VS plumbers with shroom addictions.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Link can read just fine, he just doesn't talk. Unless it's Ancient Hylian, in which case he needs the Book of Mudora; that's a translation aid, though, so anyone not specifically trained would need the book.

[/fanboy]

Aesir

Smash Master
Link can read just fine, he just doesn't talk. Unless it's Ancient Hylian, in which case he needs the Book of Mudora; that's a translation aid, though, so anyone not specifically trained would need the book.

[/fanboy]
I would say no one likes a smartass but I myself am one, and I like myself, touché >_>

you win this round Jack.

gantrain05

Smash Master
Melee is amazing because of the physics, not the "glitches". Yea even though I learned it recently, the official site of smash 64 told us how to z-cancel, which is akin to l-cancel in Melee.

Even if you don't l-cancel or wavedash in Melee, you can still pull off combos, edgeguard, go on the offensive, etc, because of the nonfloatiness and the hitstun.

Brawl is super defensive. If you go on the offensive the whole match, you're gonna get punished because of less hitstun shielding is super easy and you can punish multihit moves easy.

People like Brawl because it's easier and it's a new game, but it will definately not last.
how can you be so ignorant to say brawl will not last? it got a perfect 10 score on almost every single review and its hands down the best game on the wii to date, and u can't just generalize the game as being all defensive and if you go on the offense you lose, yeah maybe if ur a nub and don't know how to mix it up and throw in other things to ur attacks. im not saying in any way brawl is better than melee, personally i prefer melee but i love brawl as well, but you can't just claim a game wont last because of the way you play doesn't fit the way YOU like it or remember it from melee.

Corigames

Smash Hero
By that theory, we shouldn't have played Melee for so long because it didn't score that great much anywhere, if I remember correctly.

gantrain05

Smash Master
By that theory, we shouldn't have played Melee for so long because it didn't score that great much anywhere, if I remember correctly.
its not really a theory moreso of a fact that it did score very high, and if i remember correctly melee scored incredibly high too, i don't know what reviews your looking at.

gantrain05

Smash Master
oh yeah, heres some game reviews on melee from a few popular gaming magazines etc. just so u can see.

Game Informer
Melee is wholesome original, and the most rewarding multiplayer experience available for any console. [Feb 2002, p.86]

Electronic Gaming Monthly
Suffice it to say, if the first game made you happy, this jam-packed sequel will make you crap your pants with glee. [Feb 2002, p.160]

IGN
SSB Melee puts the original to shame with its countless options and longevity. This has become and will likely become one of my favorite GameCube titles of all-time. It's that good.

G4 TV
A showcase of a game. There is so much to do and unlock, both in the single-player and multiplayer modes, that the title can easily eat up dozens of hours of your time.

Nintendo Power
Smash Bros. is known for its deep game play, and Melee is a bottomless pit. [Dec 2001, p.166]

Corigames

Smash Hero
Oh... Gamespot gave it an 8.9, so I guess that's the only one I remember. Then again, I kinda abandoned GS since their whole firing a guy for giving a bad review to a MS game.

Anyway, ok. (BTW: Watch the double posting, they are touchy about that here.)

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Wavedashing was discovered by the dev team, and was left in, intentionally. Even by your definition of a glitch it isn't one.
It was an something that had to come into Melee due to problems with dodge or something like that.

Regardless the development team probably couldn't have seen the abuse coming from this technique, probably not thinking much of it.

Wobbling isn't a glitch, it's just resetting the grab timer with Nana's F-tilt so that you can infinitely keep your opponent in a grab.
I thought the whole reseting your grab time was a glitch, oh well.

IC's Freeze Glitch IS a glitch, but nobody uses it because it's banned so it doesn't really matter anyways.
It was banned after discovery, it is the ultimate stall tactic in which you'll never be able to move after it's use unless IC's want you to.

Considering how detrimental it was to the competitive scene to warrant a ban, it was worth a mention.

Moonwalking is just abusing the games physics, and it's only useful with a handful of characters. It's hardly gamebreaking or game-changing in any sense.
Isn't it a glitch with the physics engine, even so my argument isn't the

Yo-yo Glitch can only be used by one character. Not to mention Ness' metagame is based around DJC not Yo-yo glitch. Either way, nobody expected the Yo-yo Glitch to return anyways,
I was naming what was on top of my head to address Corey's question.

You are discussing inconsistencies in physics for a game that features floating puff balls VS dinosaurs VS talking animals from space VS plumbers with shroom addictions.
Even fantasy is expected to be believable/consistent to a degree.

ALL fighting games have glitches. Just be glad the Smash series doesn't have ridiculous infinites and pseudo-infinites like MvC2 or GG, just to name a few. In fact, glitch-wise, Melee doesn't even come close to some other games.

And just for the record, neither L-cancelling nor wavedashing (the two adv. techs n00bs like to call upon the most) are true glitches. The devlopers knew about them and left them in. L-cancelling was in both 64 and Melee; the Smash website when 64 came out told you how to perform it. Wavedashing was found by the devs in pre-game development, and was left in.
If you actually took time to read my past posts you would see I acknowledged other fighting games had exploitable glitches. I even address how L-Canceling wasn't a glitch.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
For characters with low traction, Luigi, it would make sense, but with the little to no friction from the space animals or other characters it didn't. If you ram into the ground you should stop moving, jumping six inches and sliding ten on non slippery surfaces.
Have you been playing the same game I have? All the characters slide different distances based on their traction. Compare Bowser's/Zelda's/Peach's wavedash to Marth's/Luigi's/Mewtwo's. In fact, Brawl is even more slippery, and the only reason you can't wavedash conventionally in Brawl is because they completely rewrote the air-dodge system. Tell me, does this look any more "realistic" to you?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL4DFxJLO5M

Wobbles increases grab time because percentage increases faster than the grab time goes down. Boost grabbing only expanded grab range that much for Sheik; it barely affected several and might even kill G&W's grab range. In addition, Brawl's physics and control system feel so different that I'm convinced they rewrote the entire engine from scratch.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rUyVlILgjrQ

Yeah, enjoy. They took some "glitches" out, left other "glitches" in, and introduced some more glitches while they were at it, in a very arbitrary fashion.

Samochan

Smash Master
It was an something that had to come into Melee due to problems with dodge or something like that.

Regardless the development team probably couldn't have seen the abuse coming from this technique, probably not thinking much of it.
Or they just didn't care with melee because they wanted it out quickly.

Or that they're really so incompetent they cannot think outside the box and leave such things in, like how many stupid things they left in on brawl. >_>

I thought the whole reseting your grab time was a glitch, oh well.
Lol, stop being such a scrub and thinking everything is a glitch. Desynching is entirely intentional game physic, there is nothing glitchy that breaks game engine on wobbling. Learn the difference between normal physics, exploit and glitch.

It was banned after discovery, it is the ultimate stall tactic in which you'll never be able to move after it's use unless IC's want you to.

Considering how detrimental it was to the competitive scene to warrant a ban, it was worth a mention.
Not on Pal version, yay. Not that anyone even cares about ic freeze glitch anymore. >_>

Isn't it a glitch with the physics engine, even so my argument isn't the
*facepalms*

I was naming what was on top of my head to address Corey's question.
Yo-yo glitch happens to be awesome and not detrimental to competitive melee. The glitch is not overpowered and hard to setup, can be also avoided easily and can be disabled, It is a glitch yea, but not detrimental to competitive melee.

If you actually took time to read my past posts you would see I acknowledged other fighting games had exploitable glitches. I even address how L-Canceling wasn't a glitch.
Was it halloween captain or you that told us L-canceling was a glitch a while back? >_>

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
How does that add imbalance? It changes what needs to be done to properly edgeguard. Are they going to airdodge? Predict it, it's not that hard. They will cancel prematurely if they think your going to auto attack when you jump near them. you wait a few frames and then attack.
Again, you misunderstand the post. What he was saying is that some characters can't edgeguard at all because they don't possess multiple jumps or a decent vertical recovery move. In Melee almost every character had an edgeguard game, while in Brawl not so much because edgeguarding is too risky for some characters.
People have claimed due to Brawl removing the previous advanced techs and currently lacking some as of late makes it less competitive. I disagree as although people have studied the game and are researching to find something to abuse. New things will be discovered, the lack of them for the moment doesn't mean it lack competitiveness.
This again! Removing ATs made the game less deep, and for this reason people believe it is less competitive. From what you've posted, it seems like you don't quite understand how ATs added to the complexity of Melee. Other reasons stated for Brawl being less competitive: floatiness, no hitstun, lack of reliable combos (due to lack of hitstun), downplay of the edgeguard game, camping made infinitely more advantageous, and others I can't recall but I'm sure others could pitch in.
Thats nice and dandy for newer players, but I'm trying to explain it from a more competitive perspective. More experienced players should be able to already, Brawl has snapping to make ledge grabbing easier, it's nifty for newer players, but doesn't affect tournament play when people can do the same tactics as before with an increase in difficulty in performing them.
You're referring to edgeguarding? Please make your posts more clear, so people don't misunderstand you. This game mechanic affects tournament play IMMENSELY. Why do you think standard tournament rules switched to 3 stock matches rather than 4 stock matches like before? It's because matches take forever with 4 stocks, due to how difficult it is to kill people thanks to a difficult/nonexistent edgeguard game.
The only really difference between Melee and Brawl is that different techniques and skills are required to work with one game compared to another. Power works in Football to rush in with a football, but doesn't help in golf which requires more control to land on the green. Both games are equally competitive thanks to the huge sums of money being spent on each sports/prize money.
It's no different here when comparing Melee and Brawl.
Wrong. The same basic techniques that are used in Melee are used in Brawl, because that's all that Brawl has left. Apart from some novelty differences like gliding, and techniques that are character specific, the basic game has stayed the same. Shieldgrabbing, edgeguarding, techchasing, short hopping, powershielding, and many more, are in both games. However, Brawl has effectively dumbed down or made virtually useless many of these. Recovering to the edge was changed with snapping so that everyone could sweetspot, edgeguarding was made too risky for some characters and in some cases simply impossible depending on the matchup, short hopping was made less useful because you can't cancel the lag from aerials with L-canceling, powershielding lost its ability to reflect projectiles, consistent combos (while present) are almost nonexistent thanks to lack of hitstun. In so many cases, the same techniques from Melee were diminished to the point that it really feels like Sakurai had a vendetta against the competitive community.
As for the last point about MK and Pit. I was referring to new players being able to learn to recover with their great recoveries, another reason why edge guarding is harder in Brawl, but even if they learn how to recover to a degree, chances are they can't fight for crap.
Who says they need to fight all that well? Pit just arrow spams and footstools, while MK just uses tornado, downsmash, up-b.
People say the gap was shortened for skill between newbies and pros. If this was true then tournament standing would be near randomness, lacking consistency.
Right now what is keeping the tournament standings relatively consistent is how familiar with the game people are. Knowing the duration, lag time, and range of all 35 characters' moves is no easy feat, but it gives you a big advantage over someone who's not as experienced. When the distribution of game knowledge stabilizes and virtually every competitive player is familiar with character weaknesses or strengths, I think tournament results will start to fluctuate wildly.
I never said increasing recovery for the cast made it less competitive, I said it was just easier, no other loaded messages involved.
The argument here is which game is more competitive. If you didn't mean for it to support your argument, it has no place in this thread.
As for your examples, I'd say both. Both are viable tactics in which both can work in Brawl. Option one is more difficult, but is much more rewarding compared to option two. I'd even say option one is more viable if people learn the timing on air dodges more.
Option one is also way more risky and sometimes impossible to pull off depending on the character you're playing as, and what character your opponent is playing as.
I'm saying if edgeguarding as a tactic isn't working so well you need to either,
a.) Learn new ways to edge guard.
b.) Try using mind games
c.) Try something else
If your tactic for edge guarding isn't working, you may need to rethink your strategies and tactics involving it, or try something else. Edgeguarding at eighty wasn't working, go for a higher percent and try again, or just forget it if you can't do it.
You make it sound as if any of these options are an easy fix. Learn new ways to edgeguard? So far the only proven ways are to jump off and either hit them into the side of the stage or hit them away from the stage. Both carry high risks because of how low or how far away from the stage you have to get in order to execute. Mind games? They're not nearly as effective off the stage because you can only use one or two moves in a limited amount of time, or else you fall to your death. Try something else? I'll take this as let them get back on the stage, put some more damage on them, and then try to get another kill move off. This is not very advantageous to you because they can easily trade blows and rack up damage on you at the same time.

To summarize: Brawl is less competitive than Melee not just because of the removal of advanced techs, but mainly because of the huge changes made to the basic game mechanics.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Lol, stop being such a scrub and thinking everything is a glitch.
QFT, and who cares if it's a glitch or not, it's a part of the game. Labeling things is always silly, take it for what it is. Saying wavedashing "doesn't look real" is a phenomenon that goes back to the very beginning, and either all you guys are taking this argument from eachother or it's just something people say to make themselves feel better after they try to do it for 15 minutes and can't. Double jumping looks far less real than sliding around.

Melee is a deep game that is very hard to learn and even harder to get good at. By its very nature, it isn't for everyone (read:Red Ryu). Brawl is extremely easy to pick up and requires a certain amount of natural talent and exposure to the various "infinites," and nuiances of the game to reach a competitive level, but no real time devotion or skill from experience. Also, not for everyone. Not for players who are looking for a competitive gaming experience.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Man, I love "wavecheating" and "L-hacking" all over the place in Melee! I whip out a few of these babies and win by default because my friend only plays Brawl and doesn't know how to do them!

^This is what I think pro-Brawl anti-Melee people think of us.

Beat

Smash Ace
Melee is a deep game that is very hard to learn and even harder to get good at. By its very nature, it isn't for everyone (read:Red Ryu). Brawl is extremely easy to pick up and requires a certain amount of natural talent and exposure to the various "infinites," and nuances of the game to reach a competitive level, but no real time devotion or skill from experience. Also, not for everyone. Not for players who are looking for a competitive gaming experience.
I'd argue that natural ability has its tentacles in Melee, too. I was naturally awful at Melee, I never drastically jumped in ability. Admittedly I didn't go to as many venues as you by any stretch, but I'd like to think I was supposed to have gotten better than the level I at which I piqued.

Also, I mained Samus, so there's that.

You're up early. Text me.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
QFT, and who cares if it's a glitch or not, it's a part of the game. Labeling things is always silly, take it for what it is. Saying wavedashing "doesn't look real" is a phenomenon that goes back to the very beginning, and either all you guys are taking this argument from eachother or it's just something people say to make themselves feel better after they try to do it for 15 minutes and can't. Double jumping looks far less real than sliding around.

Melee is a deep game that is very hard to learn and even harder to get good at. By its very nature, it isn't for everyone (read:Red Ryu). Brawl is extremely easy to pick up and requires a certain amount of natural talent and exposure to the various "infinites," and nuiances of the game to reach a competitive level, but no real time devotion or skill from experience. Also, not for everyone. Not for players who are looking for a competitive gaming experience.
Just because some flawed parts of melee's physics engine were removed doesn't mean skill or experience isn't needed for Brawl. The main reason Brawl feels easier to learn in the early stages is because you played melee for ages, and the basic controls carry over easily.

Also - developers will often leave unintentional methods of exploiting physics which they don't have time/are to lazy to remove. For example, in the fist halo, you would not face the direction of your gun when it was pointed straight down, so you did not always have to point a gun in the direction it looked like you were facing, which allowed for the popular Red v. Blue series, but they eliminated this problem in the sequel, Halo 2. The only reason Red v. Blue was able to transfer was because the developers decided at the last minute to allow players to point their weapons down while facing up, as a courtesy to the makers of Halo-based web series. I got this information from the audio commentary of the third season of Red v. Blue.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Actually, Brawl's all about experience. Everything moves so slowly that as long as you know what anyone can do, you can react to everything without having to predict at all.

The only things that need a lot of skill are the ISJR, which takes more timing than I'd like to spend for a relatively small reward, and the ICs infinites, which, ironically, people are arguing about banning.

Samochan

Smash Master
Just because some flawed parts of melee's physics engine were removed doesn't mean skill or experience isn't needed for Brawl. The main reason Brawl feels easier to learn in the early stages is because you played melee for ages, and the basic controls carry over easily.
I'm sorry what? Flawed?

Developers intentionally left in wavedash and made L-cancel accessible on melee from the ssb64, only modified it. Wavedash works exacly how it's supposed to, it does not break the game, same with L-cancel. It's far from flawed if the developers themselves approved and added such things for us to use.

Brawl does not work how the developers intended, by your logic brawl engine is flawed. Snakedashing, infinites, chaingrabs etc. etc. are far from casual friendly and defy sakurai's logic when he was making brawl. Sakurai did not want such things on brawl, thus he removed them but seemingly messed up and now is beating himself for not noticing such things and thus brawl engine is flawed.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Actually, Brawl's all about experience. Everything moves so slowly that as long as you know what anyone can do, you can react to everything without having to predict at all.

The only things that need a lot of skill are the ISJR, which takes more timing than I'd like to spend for a relatively small reward, and the ICs infinites, which, ironically, people are arguing about banning.
Your probably right. I actually don't mind, though, because I am very experienced, and like Brawl for the fact that experience is so important. Anticipation for the win.

By the way, tell MK that Brawl is all about reaction.

Intentionally leaving something in does not mean it was origonally intended, Samochan. It just means that for whatever reason, the developers choose not to go through the effort to eliminate it.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Just because some flawed parts of melee's physics engine were removed doesn't mean skill or experience isn't needed for Brawl.
I find Brawl's physics to be clunky and inferior to Melee's physics. Prove me wrong.
Your probably right. I actually don't mind, though, because I am very experienced, and like Brawl for the fact that experience is so important. Anticipation for the win.
LOL WUT? You're very experienced? I suppose this is what made you "the best at the non-glitch scene" in Melee? Yes, those are your words. I'm going to go out on a limb and call shenanigans. Not only are you ignorant and a liar, now you've got an ego to boot?

This backs up what I posted. Thanks, Ankoku! :D
Right now what is keeping the tournament standings relatively consistent is how familiar with the game people are. Knowing the duration, lag time, and range of all 35 characters' moves is no easy feat, but it gives you a big advantage over someone who's not as experienced. When the distribution of game knowledge stabilizes and virtually every competitive player is familiar with character weaknesses or strengths, I think tournament results will start to fluctuate wildly.

RDK

Smash Hero

By the way, tell MK that Brawl is all about reaction.

Intentionally leaving something in does not mean it was origonally intended, Samochan. It just means that for whatever reason, the developers choose not to go through the effort to eliminate it.
Creator's intent doesn't factor in when considering what should / should not be done in a game. Once it leaves the development team and hits the shelves, its up to the players to decide how it's going to be played. If it weren't that way, then we'd all be playing 5-minute coin matches on Pictochat with items, because that's obviously what Sakurai intended.

If you want to experience creator's intent, go read a book or watch a movie.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Variola - I'll admit that I occationally tell half-truths.

I spent about three hours total time on wavedashing, and virtually no time on L-cancelling. After a couple of half-hour practice sessions, I could wave dash, but I couldn't shffle or wavedash well, so I got bored with the trick. This was all just a few weeks before Brawl's release.

Half the reason I never learned the tricks was due to the way my friends stupidly wavedashed into attacks/death when a basic attack would have been extremely effective in the same situation.

The people where I live were terrible at melee. You would expect out of hundreds of students there would be at least one person close to my ability with the ATs, since I didn't use them, but no one was even close to my ability with or without them, so I felt no need to learn them, or put in any significant effort.

Ever since the melee match counter exceeded 1000, I have come to think of myself as experienced. Without AT's melee is after all, only about anticipation. If you disagree, try melee without so much as short-hopping and prove me wrong, that skill is still important.

P.S. - On a personal note, I love arguements, and always take the underrepresented side often reguardless of personal opinion. Sorry if I'm upsetting you, and you can play the game any way you want, RDK. Before you complain about Brawl and its campy tactics though, you have got to take Final Destination with Fox out of your sig. Fox users go to Final Destination in my experience because Fox's horizontal attacks work best there, giving Fox users a significant, often slightly unfair advantage in melee. I swear, I dislike the type of person who thinks they're better than everyone else because of how good their Fox is on Final Destination more than I dislike people who think they are better because they camp. At least the campers can handle different stages.

I'm sorry, RDK, but your sig keeps distracting me from your points, which on this occation is a very good one.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
So... you occasionally lie. You're a d*uchebag, you know that? Even I'm fed up with you, THC, and I have a really long fuse. GTFO if you're going to continue this crap.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Variola - I'll admit that I occationally tell half-truths.

I spent about three hours total time on wavedashing, and virtually no time on L-cancelling. After a couple of half-hour practice sessions, I could wave dash, but I couldn't shffle or wavedash well, so I got bored with the trick. This was all just a few weeks before Brawl's release.

Half the reason I never learned the tricks was due to the way my friends stupidly wavedashed into attacks/death when a basic attack would have been extremely effective in the same situation.

The people where I live were terrible at melee. You would expect out of hundreds of students there would be at least one person close to my ability with the ATs, since I didn't use them, but no one was even close to my ability with or without them, so I felt no need to learn them, or put in any significant effort.

Ever since the melee match counter exceeded 1000, I have come to think of myself as experienced. Without AT's melee is after all, only about anticipation. If you disagree, try melee without so much as short-hopping and prove me wrong, that skill is still important.
I'm with Jack. Leave the god**** thread and take your pretentious, elementary school level "half-truths" with you.

Smooth Criminal

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
We love this thread, too. ...we hate you, though.

...now that I think about it, I should probably get something to eat before my blood sugar gets low and I really get nasty. :chuckle:

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
No, just you. Unless that's your usual side. : j

I'm surprised that for someone so against the "glitch-exploiting" side of Melee, you've never heard of the "No Items. Fox only. Final Destination." meme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom