• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar on the Melee vs Brawl debate: What does competitive really mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
The unfortunate part is there still aren't many combos in Brawl. That Lucario is beast. Too bad there aren't a lot of other characters that have real combos (except really stuid chaingrabs or locks against walls).

g-regulate

Smash Hero
i like that brawl is solely based on prediction. that means that someone has to outsmart me to beat me, not abuse gayness.

oh wait nevermind, all good brawl players abuse gayness too :p

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
i like that brawl is solely based on prediction. that means that someone has to outsmart me to beat me, not abuse gayness.

oh wait nevermind, all good brawl players abuse gayness too :p
<_< No, what you said was still valid.
>_> Gayness = Smart Thing to do = Winning.

See?
-DD

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
This same thing happened to Halo 2 when Halo 3 came out. I know poeple who still like Halo 2 better. The Melee/Halo 2 effect is more of a reaction from poeple who feel that they perform better in Melee. I believe that this is only becuase they have played Melee for 7 years. Remember when SSBM came out? There were some 64 players complaining that Melee "just felt too different".

Just my opinion, though...

Pikario

Smash Rookie
when melee came out I hated it because it was too different than 64(best game EVER...maybe not quite).
When brawl came out, I liked it more than melee for some reason, maybe cause I was better at it and my 64 tactics worked a little better. But 64 is still better. man that game rocks. Sorry im not gonna read the thread and waste my life, that thing was like 4 pages long on the first post.

too many reflectors in brawl. Any ol joe can reflect. Only fox could do it before, made fox cool, now hes just another joe and I cant play with him. Brawls also too defensive. Jeez you can sheild, airdodge, counter, roll, even landdodge(wtf????). When I play against some good brawl players all they do is dodge every single attack while shooting missles and doing quick hits between my move time. yeah thats really not too fun. and man anyone can grab the edge in this game, I never see people that miss the edge by like 2 feet, you always make it back or get hit so hard you fly off the screen. wtf.

Brawl is a fun game and I do enjoy it but I just think 64 is funner and better and more skilled....hmm that last point is debatable but ima stick with it.

Pikario

Smash Rookie
well your post doesnt have much value either does it. Im merely expressing my feelings while you feel the need to berate others.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
well your post doesnt have much value either does it. Im merely expressing my feelings while you feel the need to berate others.
So you hated Melee because you sucked at it?

Also, if you want this thread closed, it's only because you can't take the truth.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
I felt like responding with something disparaging rather than picking apart your entire post and pointing out exactly what was wrong with each statement.

Pikario

Smash Rookie
yeah I hated melee because I sucked at it. Also it just felt way too different then the 64 version, very different game play. but brawl is better then melee....probably not competitively though. Competitively 64 is better then brawl.

Ban3

Smash Journeyman
is fighting for his friends at Sugar Land TEXAS
when melee came out I hated it because it was too different than 64(best game EVER...maybe not quite).
When brawl came out, I liked it more than melee for some reason, maybe cause I was better at it and my 64 tactics worked a little better. But 64 is still better. man that game rocks. Sorry im not gonna read the thread and waste my life, that thing was like 4 pages long on the first post.

too many reflectors in brawl. Any ol joe can reflect. Only fox could do it before, made fox cool, now hes just another joe and I cant play with him. Brawls also too defensive. Jeez you can sheild, airdodge, counter, roll, even landdodge(wtf????). When I play against some good brawl players all they do is dodge every single attack while shooting missles and doing quick hits between my move time. yeah thats really not too fun. and man anyone can grab the edge in this game, I never see people that miss the edge by like 2 feet, you always make it back or get hit so hard you fly off the screen. wtf.

Brawl is a fun game and I do enjoy it but I just think 64 is funner and better and more skilled....hmm that last point is debatable but ima stick with it.
how old are you 8? 9? this statment makes no sense a second grader can organize there thoughts better

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
yeah I hated melee because I sucked at it. Also it just felt way too different then the 64 version, very different game play. but brawl is better then melee....probably not competitively though. Competitively 64 is better then brawl.
Well at least you acknowledge.

Still, the part I BOLDED is one of the main issues at hand here going on here at SWF.

Pikario

Smash Rookie
if you disagree with what I said go ahead and "pick it apart". You cant really do that though because most of what I said is opinion and not fact but if you see I have said somethin wrong by all means criticize me. The whole point of me posting is to share my opinion, have it criticized, and attempt to defend it. gameon!

Ban3

Smash Journeyman
is fighting for his friends at Sugar Land TEXAS
if you disagree with what I said go ahead and "pick it apart". You cant really do that though because most of what I said is opinion and not fact but if you see I have said somethin wrong by all means criticize me. The whole point of me posting is to share my opinion, have it criticized, and attempt to defend it. gameon!
backing up ur opinion with proof would help

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Oh yay, another one of those people who go "Nuh uh! I'm not wrong because OPINIONS are NEVER wrong!"

UberBlackCleric

Smash Cadet
Didn't we do this like, 5 pages ago? I mean, it wouldn't be that hard for this guy to just the back button a few times and see that his argument has already been done

gantrain05

Smash Master
i fail to see how brawl is competetive, taking out AT's doesn't make it non-competetive. it just means u have to rely on your reflexes and tactics rather than waveshining everyone into an Usmash and winning. its just a different playstyle its not non-competitive.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
i fail to see how brawl is competetive, taking out AT's doesn't make it non-competetive. it just means u have to rely on your reflexes and tactics rather than waveshining everyone into an Usmash and winning. its just a different playstyle its not non-competitive.
This post is one big contradiction.

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
Hmm. That infinite jump thing is intriguing... I'll see if it could potentially affect my game a lot (in a positive way).

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Jack Kieser a Smash Director, eh? Congrats, and good luck (that is, if your tournament hasn't already happened).

Sliq

Smash Master
People who sucked at Melee are just going to say Brawl is better because they aren't getting wrecked as bad anymore. Give them time to start sucking again, and only the people that do well at tournaments will say they like it better, and that's ONLY because they are better at it.

Anyone that says Brawl is better is a newbie with no idea what he is talking about, or someone who is considerable "better" at Brawl than they were at Melee. The end.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Jack Kieser a Smash Director, eh? Congrats, and good luck (that is, if your tournament hasn't already happened).
Hehe... thanks ^_^. I'm actually looking into some bigger venues for some more tournaments. Until then, I'm going to see about striking up a deal with a local place for more tourneys.

EDIT @ Sliq: Actually, I kind of do worse at Brawl; I actually lose against my friends now and then. :laugh: I still think Brawl is pretty good, though; I enjoy it and I've seen how well it can do in a competitive setting, so that's enough evidence for me (for now; we'll see how long Brawl lasts...).

kr3wman

Smash Master
People who sucked at Melee are just going to say Brawl is better because they aren't getting wrecked as bad anymore. Give them time to start sucking again, and only the people that do well at tournaments will say they like it better, and that's ONLY because they are better at it.

Anyone that says Brawl is better is a newbie with no idea what he is talking about, or someone who is considerable "better" at Brawl than they were at Melee. The end.
This isn't closed yet? There isn't any valid arguments on either side! I mean, look at what is quoted. Really. Really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom