• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Falcon has a bag of tricks that you can fall back on (until they figure you out)

in my experience, when you face people who you simply cannot beat straight up, your only hope is to get lucky with favorable tech reads or confuse them using edge-cancels, platform wavelands from below, moon/sticky walks, scar jumps or extremely unsafe aggression like doing a kamikaze weak knee when they are off the stage, making you die if you miss

It's great in best of 3 series and for people more accustomed to "standard", safer styles. But sadly, playing a whack, gimmick falcon only works the first time against good players or in teams

to me at least
Safer style all the way.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
However many characters are in your gif. You can see it when you go to edit sig and see how much it takes. Probably just a quote and some words is enough to show it I bet.

Every time I see it I go FFFFFFUUUUUUUU
Its too funny, cause its 90% true.

You cant be mad.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
How do you play the Yoshi MU? It's weird. He has like the u-tilt and the u-smash, and the egg thingy, and the yoshi armor, and stuffs.

I though Yoshi was supposed to be easy.

Mokumo

Smash Ace
I thought about saying you cant do well with Falcon, but I knew Scar would say it in a funny way.
Also, Falcon autocombos? Can I have a list of these please, cause I wasn't aware these existed.
at 0% there are a lot of standard "auto combos" that falcon seems to have.

any aerial -> grab works a lot, though stomp -> grab doesn't seem to work from like 3%-5%, but i don't know the rules to it. I wouldn't call them perfect "auto combos" in the same sense that fox has infinites that easier to do than simple combos with falcon. stomp/nair/raptor boost -> knee works, I don't want to say that they are guaranteed but getting any of those hits in usually makes your opponent hold their breath. I find that the hardest part is getting that first hit in. Whenever i play scar I feel like he has auto combos, but that's just because i'm too scared to DI away.

Whats Falcon's worst matchup?
Fox, falco, sheik. I think the debate is still raging as to which is the gayest.

What do you guys think of Kongo Jungle as a CP? I love that stage, especially in teams, but I know it's a bad choice against peach.

NES n00b

Smash Master
How do you play the Yoshi MU? It's weird. He has like the u-tilt and the u-smash, and the egg thingy, and the yoshi armor, and stuffs.

I though Yoshi was supposed to be easy.
Falcon takes work to play well against almost any character even ones that should take little thought.

Space nair dd like most matchups. Just remember that he can break out of some of your combos with DJC so if you think he can get out be wary of it. Use the usual anti CC tatics.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
i know it is technical an auto combo, but i wouldnt call aerial -> nair at low percentages that, im talkin like shiek stuff, and fox/falco **** that can end or begin with a dash attack.

ORLY

Smash Master
I've been running into a lot of Samus players lately. What are good stages to counterpick / ban against her and why?

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Ban Fountain or Dreamland depending on which you dislike more: not being able to move around, or not being able to KO until 150%

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
top 3 samus stages are probably

YS
FoD
DL

Battlefield is hard for her to recover, and stadium is kinda the same way. FD is great for falcon and no platforms = sad samus.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
lol sorry not everythings captured in a vid and the fact that i dont want to be bothered by searching through every captain falcon vid to find it. if you think you've found something new, good for you for finding it on your own. I don't mean to hurt your huge ego.

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
i dont think its a new AT

i found this out in brawl like a year ago

i just havent seen anyone do it and i think it could be useful

i just made the vid to open up some creative minds out there

because im tired of people doing the same old stuff

this game to me is getting kind of old because of the fact that everything is the same

im just trying to think outside the box, and i did this

i knew it wasnt new and i never said it was

im just saying, play with it, try and use it

thats all

Scooach

Smash Cadet
I just picked up Falcon after switching from Falco (finally vs'd someone who spams lasers more than me and I don't wanna be like that haha) and I was wondering where should I even begin training with him... I can shffl and whatnot but after that... what else is there to practice? All I have are cpu's atm (which blows) so what would you recommend I practice?

tubes

Smash Ace
I've known about backair wall for awhile now and I copied it from GaWes. It's better with Gannon imo. He can do it with Fairs.

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
werd guys

idk, like i said it could be useful for someone

im sure not everyone knew

i think it would be good vs floaties

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
I just picked up Falcon after switching from Falco (finally vs'd someone who spams lasers more than me and I don't wanna be like that haha) and I was wondering where should I even begin training with him... I can shffl and whatnot but after that... what else is there to practice? All I have are cpu's atm (which blows) so what would you recommend I practice?
practice your timing on shuffling all your moves CONSISTENTLY for both whiffs and hits. i'm not sure how much you've practiced shuffling like you said but it's important especially with the late dair hitbox and whatever.

practice moving around on stages quickly and dash dancing fluidly.

ALL TECH SKILL ****. JUST PRACTICE TECH SKILL. TECH SKILL TECH SKILL TECH SKILL

D

Deleted member

know the distance of tech rolls of each major character and practice so you can punish them when you predict them going in a direction

shiek,falcon - long tech lengths

fox,falco- fairly short

jiggly- stumbles before rolling very short distance

--

being consistent in everything you do is important too

stuff like turning around and grabbing when they are right behind you without dashing, sounds simple but you don't want to mess it up and lose because of it

NES n00b

Smash Master
Fingers are indeed not fast enough... Plus I don't really like the spacies. Keeping Falco as my secondary though.
Practice comboing with nair on level ones to make sure you know the timing for doing it and running immediately after. For approaching nairs, make sure you learn how to nair early and not fastfall immediately. Time it so that second part of nair is out when you land. Make sure you can run or jab immediately after that.

I am pretty sure Falco has a really long tech roll. It is just so fast and recovers pretty quickly. I hate that character.

D

Deleted member

fox and shiek have dumber tech rolls

also you can stomp over falco's get up attack and still get him, something you can't do with fox

Magus420

Smash Master
These are based on pure distance the center of their character moves, so you need to consider how 'wide' they are (CF leans forward as he gets up from a TR away for example), as well as how good their options are on getup. All tech rolls are 40 total and 1-20 invincible. Horizontal Movement At __ is when they begin actually moving if you're reacting to that.

Code:
---------------    
Captain Falcon
---------------
*Tech-Roll Forward*
Horizontal Movement At: 11
Distance: 16.6 ft

*Tech-Roll Backward*
Horizontal Movement At: 8
Distance: 13.6 ft

---------------    
Falco
---------------    
*Tech-Roll Forward*
Horizontal Movement At: 9
Distance: 14.4 ft

*Tech-Roll Backward*
Horizontal Movement At: 6
Distance: 14.4 ft

---------------    
Fox
---------------    
*Tech-Roll Forward*
Distance: 12.6 ft

*Tech-Roll Backward*
Distance: 12.6 ft

---------------    
Jigglypuff
---------------    
*Tech-Roll Forward*
Horizontal Movement At: 11
Distance: 11.8 ft

*Tech-Roll Backward*
Horizontal Movement At: 10
Distance: 14.8 ft

---------------    
Marth
---------------    
*Tech-Roll Forward*
Distance: 15.2 ft

*Tech-Roll Backward*
Distance: 15.2 ft

---------------    
Peach
---------------    
*Tech-Roll Forward*
Distance: 15.4 ft

*Tech-Roll Backward*
Distance: 15.6 ft

---------------    
Sheik
---------------    
*Tech-Roll Forward*
Distance: 16.2 ft

*Tech-Roll Backward*
Distance: 16.2 ft

---------------	
Pichu (LOL)
---------------	
*Tech-Roll Forward*
Horizontal Movement At: 12
Distance: 8.4 ft

*Tech-Roll Backward*
Distance: 8.4 ft
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=206469

/plug

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
one dude said fingers arent fast enough for fox:

its a common misconception that you need fast fingers for fox, the only things you actually need to be able to do in order to do well with fox are things that require the same tech skill, if not less, than falcon

just l cancel bairs/nairs into shines and uthrow uair and your fox is good

but anyway, falcon thread

against yoshi, do strong moves more often instead of combo moves than you normally would, he gets out of combos and has a recovery you can make him sad about if you knock him off the level

a lot of sheiks like to tech towards you, probably due to how big their roll is. thats usually my first prediction against anything but top sheiks. honestly thats pretty bad and not useful advice, its just something i think about. if you are gonna make a guess vs sheik though, use stomp unless youre near the edge. nes noobs idea about kneeing so he can catch up with people sooner if hes wrong is pretty good, but sheiks tech is too big/fast for you to catch her anyway, so i say just go for the gold anyway

take samus to fd if they didnt ban it for some crazy reason, after that one i would take her to either stadium or story. i used to take her to battlefield, but its really not as much a problem for samus as non samus players like to think. i agree with the ban advice though, either FoD or dreamland. i've been banning dreamland lately more often, and last time i played a good samus in a tournament i won then lost on FoD, so thats some mild success i guess

im pretty uncomfortable vs samus though

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
i played hugs at pat's house. we randomed bf and i won, he counterpicked FD and won, then banned kongo jungle :( so i went PS and lost

so basically my point it i don't know if FD is THAT bad for the matchup but then again i really don't know anything about samus, and also kongo kungle seems like it'd be a good stage since she can't do grapple BS recoveries

Top Bottom