• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

tubes

Smash Ace
Ok so juggling with raptor boost for as long as humanly possible before grabbing, and juggling them off the throw for as long as possible before letting them tech. Good idea or bad idea?

Also back air, great edge guard or greatest edge guard?

Afro_Chris

Smash Ace
I will likely be coming to a Canadian tournament soon. I saw one on facebook that was interesting and then I saw some others in tournament listings. I'll definitely come and it will be tons of fun. Canada's a great place to travel to smash.
awwww yeaaa :)

lol ima 3 stock ur falcon like last time, lol jk just beat it :)

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Ahhh maybe, it'll be sweet either way!

but my fox does the work these days ;)

I sold out a little bit. Probably 60/40 a little more fox in tournament than falcon.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I'll do the first match. btw Juggleguy, my old tag was Mask (I saw you commented on a match of mine from a mad long time ago), just so you don't think I'm a scrub who just started playing.

:07 - wasn't a good time to nair approach. Dope was jumping down from above, so an uair would've been better.

:11-:17 - nice.

:17 - if you did a ledgehop stomp, it probably would've been harder for Dope to tech. You might have even been able to kill him with an edgehog.

:32 - stomp would've been better. It kinda looks like you messed up around here though.

:36 - don't do that against a good Falco when they're so close to the ledge and undistracted.

:37 - see above, although you traded with him.

:51-53 - don't use up B when he's standing right in front of you. He can edgeguard you sooo easily like this. When your opponent is standing towards you at the edge, try to sweetspot and/or tech the ledge when he tries to hit.

1:14 - Dope did the same thing he did at :07. A ton of spacies do this (stalling an empty full hop to double jump to bait an attack/grab). Don't try to dash dance in hopes that he'll just fall down and miss an attack. Double jump an uair or something.

1:18 - lol, be careful. Dope predicted that you were gonna attack, which you did, but you barely missed him. You would've gotten eaten by his up tilt if it hit. Be weary of when to attack and not to attack.

1:23 - Dope spotdodged. Take note of this for when you try to approach/attack/grab again.

1:27 - he did it again. Why were you trying to get onto the tree branch...? When you approached him, he spotdodged. You ran back and missed a waveland onto the tree, but you could've ran back and grabbed him (if you were quick enough), or you could have knee'd him when he thought you were gonna grab him (when he spotdodged). This is really important to notice against spacies because it's incredibly punishable. Make them flinch every time they spotdodge.

1:50 - wut

1:58 - you had it! I guess you were trying to mindgame him or something, but if you did a bair at the end of your double jump you probably would've gotten him.

2:10 - late on the timing. This really messed you up.

2:27 - ...? I guess you messed up the timing of the uair and mistakenly full hopped.

2:28 - don't attack on your way back down. When you miss something, most (skilled) people will bait you to attack again (like you did here). Like I said before, know when to attack and not attack. But I'll tell you that when you miss an aeriel, don't attack immediately after unless there's no way you can get punished.

2:33 - retreated laser. When he's being defensive like this, he wants you to approach. This is a tricky situation to handle, but I probably would have kept dodging the lasers until a punish came up for me.

2:50 - he was sitting in his shield, why stomp?

Rest of match - ugh

Overall:

- tighten up your tech skill
- know when to use your attacks and where (spacing) - probably most important
- notice your opponent's habits and punish

General tips:

- shield to spaced nair is amazing for messing up Falco's laser approach and getting grabs. You should try it more.
- when you get a grab, don't always initially guess where they're going to tech. Learn to regrab off of reaction and punish with an educated guess when you think you'll get him.
Thanks a lot man, I'll definitely keep this stuff in mind. I'm usually aware of opponents' spot dodges, I just can't get a good feel for punishing them as you pointed out. I see Darkrain punish spot dodges so hard and it's mesmerizing how consistently he does it. btw, I def. know who you are, I've watched a lot of your matches, haha. You going to P4?

All i can suggest is you change your dair edge guards into bair/knee edge guards.

edit: also, dope seemed to not use the platforms much, which leads me to believe he might not be great with them. The few times he was on a platform he did something half-reckless (the very first time he jumped at you then double jumped high and came from above with a dair). Basically, just make sure you keep an eye out for exploitable things. This would have been something to test him on, maybe get a stock or so out of it.
I dunno. He did ban FD, if that counts for anything

$mike

Smash Ace
Thanks a lot man, I'll definitely keep this stuff in mind. I'm usually aware of opponents' spot dodges, I just can't get a good feel for punishing them as you pointed out. I see Darkrain punish spot dodges so hard and it's mesmerizing how consistently he does it. btw, I def. know who you are, I've watched a lot of your matches, haha. You going to P4?
No problem. I really want to go to Pound, but I just can't afford it. I don't really have a ride either. I'll be at the next huge EC tournament though for sure.

And yeah, Darkrain is probably the best at punishing spot dodges consistently. He jumps on that.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
wowowowowow falcon board drama, i missed it
props to manalord for not editting his ****alk and keeping it mad real (when keeping it real goes wrong?)

-WoMp-

Smash Cadet
Falcon in 64 is especially manly. Upair is probably my favorite imo, but usmash comes in a close second. Oh and Up+B, that **** has ridiculous range sometimes lolz.

Brick_Top

Smash Apprentice
Or the spike that can be held out for like 15 seconds and still hit anywhere on his body. His nair was an improvement to. Imagine trying to start something with the 64 nair

D

Deleted member

so I main Falcon in 64 now, and I just wanted to let you guys know you definitely got the **** end of the stick, especially with usmash :laugh:
congrats on maining the boringest, n00b character in the game

(if u want any tips I can give them to u)

---

ur supposed to up-throw knee Marths, not down-throw. If the percentage isn't high enough then up-throw double up-air

or just up-throw up-air if you are scared

D

Deleted member

nope

money johns

im going to try my best to go to the next norcal sfsu though

Scar

#HarveyDent
good **** well i'll be at that socal tourney on the 30th probably

...maybe not idk work johns MAYBE

i get paid this friday tho sonnnnn what WHAAAAT

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
lol, I've seen it... I mean, it's good if they don't get out of it, but you have to understand, in 64, it has absurd range/priority, hits only once, and is perfect for starting low % combos. There's no question, he lost out big time with the usmash switch between the 2 games.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
lol no one was denying that. I mained him in 64, I'm well aware how awesome usmash was haha. But think about it, even if they DI out of the usmash it sets up for a dsmash or something else if they miss the tech. One time a Fox DI'd out of my usmash on the edge of Yoshi's and then I jab reset to drop zoned him. It was the hottest thing ever.

D

Deleted member

you must have trouble reading, I said Falcon, not Kirby :p

and I mean, I'm just casually getting into the game like 1847128947293 years since it's been out, of course I'm going to pick an easy character (who has fun combos rather than utilts).
you are one funny dude

Kirby takes more skill to use than Falcon in 64

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
i'll money match falcons with my marth at pound

marth players say every character ***** marth, you cant trust anything they say

im like 40 posts late but w/e

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
mogwai we got a mm at pound as well that we made a loong time ago when jona said you'd beat my falcon with pikachu, right?

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
eh, just play friendlies with me. I play on VC with a GC controller and wouldn't really have any confidence in a MM, I just find the game fun.

s2j, w/e dude, I'm sure you know much better than I do, I'm just saying at my scrubby level of play, Kirby's utilt is really really dumb and I have a hard time believing that Falcon's easier to play than Kirby

edit: bigD, yea, $5 Falco vs. Falcon and $1 Pikachu vs. Falcon I think , though I'm open to w/e really. I'm more interested in just playing you again than I am with the MMs.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
Oh, ok i remember now. Thumbs swore something about changing the metagame with falcon upsmashes. I remember.

I like upsmashes, they usually lead to knees because honestly, when do falcons upsmash? Its kinda like suprize buttsecks, but instead its like...."o **** i got hit by a falcon upsmash" *no DI input* "KNEE *****"!

Zephyr

Smash Lord
Oh, ok i remember now. Thumbs swore something about changing the metagame with falcon upsmashes. I remember.

I like upsmashes, they usually lead to knees because honestly, when do falcons upsmash? Its kinda like suprize buttsecks, but instead its like...."o **** i got hit by a falcon upsmash" *no DI input* "KNEE *****"!
This is not so among my friends. Upsmash is a regular occurence when we play. >_<

Can't trust anything Marths say? They say they suck in every matchup?

I wonder what other character we play that sounds exactly like. XD

Niko45

Smash Master
I'm not sure where BigD is getting that. It seems to me that its the high tier boards that are plagued with people whining and complaining about their own character's limitations and how much they swear said character sucks.

Top Bottom