• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Well, I guess this is one way to perpetuate the melee community going. Rile it all up until they can't wait to prove how much better they are than the other person.

Scar

#HarveyDent
i also like tech chasing on the platforms on yoshis story
lol Teach me plz

Haha I've wanted to play Scar for a while. Any big EC melee tourneys comin up? I've been wantin to come out for a while. I'm going to one in the midwest in a couple months.
Which mw tourney? I don't think we can make it out but I know that Cactuar loves you and friends of Cactus are friends of mine, so yeah I have been excited to play you and the rest of the crew.

I want to do a huge 2-day EC tourney but it's looking like we can't really get a convenient venue for a long time. We'll see I guess. Maybe over the summer, like late August.

If you played Brawl lol you'd be here this weekend, COT4 seems like it's getting national attention. I hate that game.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
lol Teach me plz

Which mw tourney? I don't think we can make it out but I know that Cactuar loves you and friends of Cactus are friends of mine, so yeah I have been excited to play you and the rest of the crew.

I want to do a huge 2-day EC tourney but it's looking like we can't really get a convenient venue for a long time. We'll see I guess. Maybe over the summer, like late August.

If you played Brawl lol you'd be here this weekend, COT4 seems like it's getting national attention. I hate that game.
Does that mean you are not going to show me your moves nine? I believe the pre-attendance list said you were.

Scar

#HarveyDent
I don't think I can make it, I'm def not flying out and the drive is ridiculous, I would do it if it were a 2-day but I can't travel 10+ hours for a 1 day event.

Scar

#HarveyDent
OH **** BIG D... **** that would be too nice. Good thing it's friggin' like 3 days before the tourney haha I have a lot of time to put it together. I'll ask around.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Depends on which one will lead into a knee I guess, so depending on character weight and % they switch. If you mean like safe as opposed to sorry I'd say uair since uair will almost always lead to another uair, but nair has more hitstun so that's usually what I'd do.

IrArby

Smash Ace
Question about Falcon's Nair (sorry if this has been answer 1000 and 7 times or more).

Should I be getting the Nair out of the jump as soon as possible or should I be waiting a bit. I find when I get it asap, it doesn't seem to combo as well. I'm still adjusting to fastfalling it correctly. I'm a Marth main so timing aerials is much more obvious for him.

Also, should I be waiting for the second kick to start fast falling. I think fastfalling earlier stops it from hitting a lot of times. IDK Falcon's kinda got this grey area for me. Even on Dair sometimes I feel the timing could be a lot better.

Thanks in advance.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Question about Falcon's Nair (sorry if this has been answer 1000 and 7 times or more).

Should I be getting the Nair out of the jump as soon as possible or should I be waiting a bit. I find when I get it asap, it doesn't seem to combo as well. I'm still adjusting to fastfalling it correctly. I'm a Marth main so timing aerials is much more obvious for him.

Also, should I be waiting for the second kick to start fast falling. I think fastfalling earlier stops it from hitting a lot of times. IDK Falcon's kinda got this grey area for me. Even on Dair sometimes I feel the timing could be a lot better.

Thanks in advance.
Always right after jump. Always. Wait a little while then fastfall so the second part comes out a little bit before you hit the ground but this if your opponent is grounded. If you hit with the first hit and they are popped into the air then make sure to get the last part of the nair to hit basically no matter what. Almost always run away after your nair on sheild or crouch cancelling. ^_^

IrArby

Smash Ace
Always right after jump. Always. Wait a little while then fastfall so the second part comes out a little bit before you hit the ground but this if your opponent is grounded. If you hit with the first hit and they are popped into the air then make sure to get the last part of the nair to hit basically no matter what. Almost always run away after your nair on sheild or crouch cancelling. ^_^
Sweet thanks. This will help my thus far inconsistent combos a lot.

Ja

Smash Journeyman
Depends on which one will lead into a knee I guess, so depending on character weight and % they switch. If you mean like safe as opposed to sorry I'd say uair since uair will almost always lead to another uair, but nair has more hitstun so that's usually what I'd do.
What about taking DI into account? If you think they will DI like X then you should generally nair, and if you think they will DI like Y then you should generally uair?

meatsauce

Smash Rookie
Well I think if they DI away you would be most successful with a nair and if they di up, depending on their percentage, a uair or nair would be good.

DrewB008

Smash Lord
nah dude just do whichever one is more likely to hit, or do uair if youre hoping it might on some off chance kill them at high %

scar, i watched you vs eggm and you throw those jabs around in the middle of combos and let him get out, dont do that bro

Scar

#HarveyDent
I just started using like pseudo-darkrain timing. Of course there are times when this isn't the best idea, but this is generally how it's done.

You should practice with dair first. short hop, dair ASAP, and fastfall ASAP. This timing will allow the dair to come out AFTER you fastfall, so the way to see if you're doing it right is to practice it on a computer and see if you l-cancel both with and without hitting the opponent.

If you dair and then dsmash it's not a problem with your ff timing, it's a problem with your jump timing, after hitting the opponent you need to wait a little, the hitlag slows your fall but not enough to mess with the l-cancel timing, only enough to mess up your next action.

If you aren't l-canceling, you're not doing it right.

This timing can apply to every move, though l-canceling is not as nice since the moves come out before the fastfall. But if you do things as soon as you can, both hits on nair come out and the move in its entirety is VERY short and makes comboing MUCH easier.

What about taking DI into account? If you think they will DI like X then you should generally nair, and if you think they will DI like Y then you should generally uair?
Are you in the middle of a combo or going for a first hit? In the middle of a combo you just do whatever will hit, but I guess your question is odd b/c there aren't many times where either uair or nair will work interchangeably, their hitboxes really aren't in similar places.

If the opponent is in front of you, nair, if he's above you, uair. If you want him to go more away, nair, if you want him to go higher, uair. For example (I guess) against CC DI, you don't want him to go straight down, you want him to go higher, so you uair and depending on % hope you can get a regrab/nair/uair or knee.

Nair vs down DI = either a missed tech or a tech faaar away from you, so you prob can't follow up besides techchase grab.

scar, i watched you vs eggm and you throw those jabs around in the middle of combos and let him get out, dont do that bro
yeah it's a really bad habit, i just broke the habit of dair>jab at 0%. wow what a dumb idea, since dair>grab combos.

i'll rewatch idk when specifically i do it but that's why it's a bad habit.

DrewB008

Smash Lord
in the fd match you do it once each on a stomp, forward b, and an uthrow im pretty sure, he gets out all those times

i didnt notice in the other matches but it mightve been there too

Scar

#HarveyDent
thx bigD I'll keep it in mind, yo what do you think the best idea was on the last grab, Eggm was at like 94% or something and he slight DI'd a uthrow back, he was like right on top of me... I'm thinking pivot grab or just let him fall and try to tech chase him.

DrewB008

Smash Lord
i would think you could fsmash that, but to be honest i dont know the %'s, i'd probably bair if i was in that situation and try to edgeguard but regrab is ok too

check if you can fsmash though cause i think you can

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Scar, when you fastfall a Dair (that you fastfell before it hit), do you keep holding down until after the hitlag or do you just tap it? (i can explain why im wondering this if you want to, but right now im to lazy to type that)

Scar

#HarveyDent
i would think you could fsmash that, but to be honest i dont know the %'s, i'd probably bair if i was in that situation and try to edgeguard but regrab is ok too

check if you can fsmash though cause i think you can
yeah if fsmash would work but since he was RIGHT on top of me i'm not sure if it would hit... plus it goes in such crazy random directions Eggm would prob just have to DI up and he'd be fine.

now i'm sort of thinking ftilt to edgeguard, but him being on top of me again i'm not sure where that hitbox is. i'm kind of sold on letting him land and tech chasing from there.

Scar, when you fastfall a Dair (that you fastfell before it hit), do you keep holding down until after the hitlag or do you just tap it? (i can explain why im wondering this if you want to, but right now im to lazy to type that)
no i just tap it because i'm running away immediately after i land

Scar

#HarveyDent
I honestly believe that an fsmash to either side, left or right, would whiff vs weak backwards DI. Next time I see Cactuar I'll try it.

DrewB008

Smash Lord
you can stomp fsmash when they go directly above you, so im inclined to disagree

edit: plus i mean if you can turn around and jab, fsmash he at least would move to the side, i dunno man im just about positive that in that situation you couldve fsmashed, i think fsmash can cover any di except forward but sometimes it may be hard to read if you should do it backwards or forwards

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
ok so scar

SCAR

not jona diaper

i can't beat marth

i played lol master with my falcon (his marth) for like 10 matches

i lost them all

and he was tech chasing the **** out of me

wtf do i do vs a good marth? we never played those falcon dittos =(

also when do you get back from class?

Top Bottom