• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
so i heard darkrain lost to a mew2 and samus last week, and two ICs this week. hard matchups? discuss
Darkrain's aggressive style plays exactly into every IC's hands. I recall Trail telling me that he has played Darkrain multiple times and hasn't lost or only lost once, but has a winning record against him when Darkrain was clearly better. He said his aggressive style is what was his downfall. BigD gave Trail a much harder time due to his style difference.

It seems like a fairly even matchup though from my little experience.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
actually i'm pretty sure darkrain did better vs trail than me overall, and i know he has beaten him before

but considering how much better darkrain does than me vs anyone else, he should be handling trail pretty well if i can play trail pretty evenly

edit: upon further reflection, i'm pretty sure that darkrain and jiano are the only falcons who have ever beaten trail, but jianos record is like 1-4 while darkrains is actually pretty close to even

Pr0jecT

Smash Ace
UberIce beat Darkrain at CEO yesterday. UI was playing AMAZING, and sadly Darkrain was sent into losers by Chu via Wobbling. (**** wasn't banned yo, wtflux) Either way, the match up is pretty even once you know what to do.

A mediocre falcon will get ***** by a great IC's and vice-versa. If they are both at equal skill level, its a toss up.

The problem people face when fighting IC's is they just have 0 idea of what to do. People SHFFL Nairs at them thinking it'll do them good only to be SADLY mistaken. Stomp, Knee, and Raptor Boost should be your bread and butter verse them. An experienced IC will be aware of this and most likely Crouch-Cancel boosts and bait bad stomps or knees. Depending on the style of IC is pretty important too. Some like to camp, Chu plays a much more aerial game as to UI is VERY fond of keeping you on the ground and surprising you with smash attacks.

Seperation is key to this fight

Uairs are great if Popo is above you, Nair's can combo somewhat well on IC's too (but not so much a great approach). GRABBING IC'S WHEN NANA IS ALIVE IS NOT A GOOD IDEA IN GENERAL. If Nana is separated, that would be a good time to grab. However, its best to be avoided.

Popo vs CF on the other hand with Nana dead, Grab grab grab grab grab grab some more. D-Throw knee works well against a single IC and if you can't knee, you can most likely Uair or Regrab etc...

Seperation, and playing smart is key. Not getting grabbed is probably the most important thing, Staying aerial helps. Full hops are nice ways gauge and bait, just be careful. DI'ing chain-grabs ISN'T AS BAD as it seems. Depending on where nana hits you from popo's dthrow (if its a fullhopped nana, most likely you're gonna get sent DIRECTLY behind popo, meaning DI twords them so you're out of Popo's reach) If Nana is shorthopping, NANA'S HIT WILL SEND YOU INFRONT. (this is the easiest way to to DI out) DOWNWARD AND AWAY WHILE HOLDING C-STICK AWAY AND R SO YOU CAN ROLL FIRST FRAME POSSIBLE. DI'ing NANA's HIT is probably the most important part about escaping the chain throws.

Handoffs, Version grabs (1.0 allows IC's to Dthrow>utilt>regrab falcon with ease), and other IC trickery are pretty hard to escape.

Hope this helped for anyone inexperienced to IC's.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
dthrow knee doesnt work vs chu

i dont know how, i hit every other ice climber player with it all day, but chu can get out every time vs me at least

uthrow uair works pretty well in that case though

Pr0jecT

Smash Ace
As long as hes off the stage and trying to make it back, he should be dead. Edge guarding a single IC isn't too hard.

D

Deleted member

sometimes if u f-throw another falcon into 4 shy guys they will fly really hard off the stage at 0 percent and die

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
i know who he is.

and lol at smash fly-guy di away.

i swear i use the fly guys to my advantage. i get super di off them and have smashed down and teched on a platform several times cause of them.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
One time my roommate ryan uthrew voodoo's falcon straight up as marth, and because he was holding out and hit like 5 shy guys hi just straight up died off the side. I think he was at like 60ish.

Also guys, I had the best experience ever playing vanz ever on friday. It's so much fun playing a jiggs who hates falcon. Things suddenly work.

Like knee ->ftilt -> knee.

Dammit vanz.

I get a combo on his peach and he's like "that's so gay". Then he 0 to deaths me.

Either he sandbags against falcon to prove a point, or he just straight up doesn't know what to do against him, but either way he makes for silly practice >_<

thumbswayup

Smash Master
I don't understand why people hate Falcon like Vanz does. It's a straight forward matchup for the top tiers. Falcon just gets ***** haha

Also Chred next time I'm going in your guys car, it was bs that I couldn't make it to No Johns but at least I won at syphers lol

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
i di'd from shyguys straight off the side from a stomp at like 80%, it looked more like i got knee'd it was ridiculous...

PEEF!

Smash Hero
After watching D-rain play all weekend, I think he is back at it.

He didn't place too well at CEO (7th), but he got beat last stock last game by 2 IC mains, ChuDat and Uberice. I think he would have gotten top 3 otherwise. He was kindof ****** ColinBol in friendlies and he was going even with Hbox too. I think he is back, but needs work vs ICs.
PS: He DEMOLISHED Everlastin yayuz. The videos will be amazing.

I learned/came up with some new names for Falcon moves while I was here:
Uair to Dair = The Trashcan
Uair to Uair to Dair = The Wheel of Trashcans or Trashcan of Fortune
Knee to offstage Dair = The Depth Charge
Gentleman to Dair = The Beetlecrusher
Moonwalk to Grab = The Smooth Criminal (hahahah!)
Double or Reverse Moonwalk to Grab = The Slipnslide Criminal

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord
i like "the smooth criminal" but the other ones sound like an inside joke between you and some other people so i dont really get them

PEEF!

Smash Hero
LOL the trashcan...if you watch the combo it just looks like someone is taking a bag of trashcan and throwing it up over their head, then slamming it into a trashcan.

The Depth Charge, just think about it. It's perfect.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
lolz.... yea darkrain doesn't like to play vs. IC's :(

also SCAR I APPROACH BECAUSE I HAVE FUN WHEN I APPROACH IS THAT OK

Top Bottom