• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Well, if falcon is near enough to the edge when throwing, even a properly away DI'd uthrow will let falcon follow up with a knee or uair at least.

The other problems I see with the purely reaction-based regrab techchasing are:

1). How does falcon cover the missed tech on reaction? The CC method? I guess falcon can do it, doesn't getup attack break CC at a fairly low percent though?

2). the main one: if you DI the throws so you end up kinda near the edge (but not right by it), when falcon throws you again you can DI towards the edge so you slide off and grab the edge, ending the tech chase. I mean I guess this could get predictable but then it becomes not a purely reaction-based techchase.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
1) Get up attack can be CCed until like 100%+ so no.

2) I'm not sure how Falcon would beat that but it sounds excruciatingly situational, namely because they would need to position themselves so that Falcon's throw would just put them near the edge for the edgecancel, and he has two throws with widely varying knockback to use that put space animals into knockdown, and situationally combo. They would also, I think, have to prematurely tech near the edge, which, you're correct, ends the reaction-based part, but it also traps them near the edge at disadvantage, which is great in its own respect anyway.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Jumping back with Fair requires being in the air at some point. Though admittedly you don't really get above them because of moving back.

I still maintain the matchup is extremely underdeveloped for ICs and it's much, much easier to play it as Ganon, but at this point in time I'm certainly willing to say that Ganon destroys them hideously.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
I get out of IC's chaingrab all the time as falcon. I just mix it up betweem SDI in and SDI out and eventually the IC either faces the wrong way or doesn't move out fast enough when I SDI out. It's also possible to SDI in and Up, so you end up right above popo's head and he has to pivot to grab you, and then you can jump., but since the ICs player can't do any of those grabs on reaction, it's not hard to get out of.

Linguini

Smash Master
Ive been watching this discussion for a good while, but I feel like it needs some input on the ganon side since kage is getting outnumbered lol. Peef, ive beaten fly twice in tournament before, same with Uber Ice, and beat Chu at pound 4. I do not contribute these wins to the matchup though. I am pretty knowledgeable on how to fight ice climbers, but I have never played an icee's player that thoroughly knew the ganon matchup as well.

I personally think that the matchup is 55-45 in ganons favor, only because of his ease in disposing nana. The main reason it is such a close matchup regardless is because of popo's single ice climber chaingrab on ganon that can be the saving grace once nana is dead. Wavedash to jab also wrecks ganons approach and it's not too hard to finish off ganon in a grab with two icee's,even if you mess up, because there's always the normal d-throw chaingrab.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
I need help. I don't know if anyone here would bother but I'm posting this anyway.

I've really been struggling to narrow down the characters I use in tournament, etc. (a main in general really) I simply can't decide who to play. I enjoy playing them all and have been successful in MMs and tourneys with each of them so none of that has cleared this up for me or been an issue, I just simply don't know who to stick with so even use random often.

If anyone cares about having 1 more Falcon player, or wants me to stick with him if you know me or anything, please vote. :\

Any input is good but meaningless votes are completely welcome too if you don't know me/don't care but would still want me to play Falcon or something. :)
I just need help. :(

Thanks. hahah
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=10468126#post10468126

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Well that's why you don't play above the ICs as Ganon, it's just dumb and the ICs will get free aerials.
ICs can uair, and your fist will hit their hammers even if they are right in front of you with proper spacing on the ics part.

Jumping back with Fair requires being in the air at some point. Though admittedly you don't really get above them because of moving back.

I still maintain the matchup is extremely underdeveloped for ICs and it's much, much easier to play it as Ganon, but at this point in time I'm certainly willing to say that Ganon destroys them hideously.
This is really correct. Right now, pretty much every IC gets ***** terribly by Ganon, but I don't think it is because of the character, instead it is about the underdeveloped matchup. No ICs claim to know the matchup inside and out. Fly came to the boards one day and said "wow blizzard is terrible" and then like a month later said "Blizzard might be the most important tool in this matchup" or something along those lines. We are still figuring it out, give it a min =D

Ive been watching this discussion for a good while, but I feel like it needs some input on the ganon side since kage is getting outnumbered lol. Peef, ive beaten fly twice in tournament before, same with Uber Ice, and beat Chu at pound 4. I do not contribute these wins to the matchup though. I am pretty knowledgeable on how to fight ice climbers, but I have never played an icee's player that thoroughly knew the ganon matchup as well.

I personally think that the matchup is 55-45 in ganons favor, only because of his ease in disposing nana. The main reason it is such a close matchup regardless is because of popo's single ice climber chaingrab on ganon that can be the saving grace once nana is dead. Wavedash to jab also wrecks ganons approach and it's not too hard to finish off ganon in a grab with two icee's,even if you mess up, because there's always the normal d-throw chaingrab.
Yeah, I think this is a good post. Being smart about Ganon's sheild pressure is something basically no IC does. The Dthrow CG is really good and fairly easy, and killing out of grabs isn't an issue for sure. Right now, ICs get pummeled as everyone agrees, but with more experience and sharing of information, the ICs DO have the right tools to deal with him when you factor our Nair, Bair, Blizzard, and grab stuff.

Peach, for example, we just don't have the right tools to deal with that MU. We could make it a little better, but that will NEVER be even. Ganon however, could perhaps be an even matchup with more work and better use of our tools.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
a decade later and people are STILL trying to figure out high tier matchups like ganon vs ic?

i love melee.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
kage, all you and hax do is 0-death each other.

i honestly expect it to happen 4-5 times each match.

falcon suck. why talk about him?

but honestly........gtfo with this ICs ganon ****. this thread is @ its best when no serious melee discussion is going on.

Niko45

Smash Master
Yeah, sure, Falcon can 0-death everyone (except of course Jigglypuff and IC's... and bad chars that don't matter), but against fast-fallers you pretty much have to outright guess at where they're going to tech. 0-deaths aren't even close to being guaranteed as Falcon, ever, whereas Marth, Fox, IC's or Donkey Kong (yeah, shut up) can get a grab against a spacy and get at least 60% off if not a KO via edgeguard instantly.
How does Falcon's recovery not matter? You act as if he just never gets hit off the stage because he's always 0-deathing his opponent as soon as they spawn. If this were true, everyone would be using Falcon. He works hard to get 0-deaths and it can be tied up by a low% gimp by like... anyone.

Wait, what?

what da fucckkk

dthrow is so broken it rarely combos into anything against good DI.

do you just know nothing about this game?

rest is definitely worse than Knee, yup. you're bad.
Worst post ever.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
What do you guys think of CPing mute city vs marth? I did it (we were playing best of 7 and I was out of my go-to cps) and liked it because it helped even out the big edgeguard advantage marth has. I sat there and charged fsmashes when that platform was moving to edgeguard. That platform is pretty cramped, but there's a good bit of room when you "land." Neither myself or my opponent are really any good, would this be a decent cp in higher level play?

Animal

Smash Lord
****ing opc jona **** you ya fuking fucjk falcon me ur never there fuking *** up all uuuuuu

Alukard

Smash Hero
yoooo SCAR ... we miss you ... we just had an EPIC NO JOHNS ... but u weren't there =[

come back soon son!

let me know if ur ever going to visit i'll host sumthing for u bro!

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
What do you guys think of CPing mute city vs marth? I did it (we were playing best of 7 and I was out of my go-to cps) and liked it because it helped even out the big edgeguard advantage marth has. I sat there and charged fsmashes when that platform was moving to edgeguard. That platform is pretty cramped, but there's a good bit of room when you "land." Neither myself or my opponent are really any good, would this be a decent cp in higher level play?
Idk, it seems like Marth can kill Falcon off any hit on Mute City really often. Like, a lot more often than he can on normal stages. With good DI on a normal stage fthrow by the edge doesn't gimp falcon, but on mute city he has no chance. The stage is small enough and has no platforms for a lot of the time, so I think Marth can just 0-death him with grabs in those sections.

Top Bottom