• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

Scar

#HarveyDent
nair is my favorite attack to recover with and at this point in my career it works about 0% of the time

WE SHOULD ALL STOP DOING IT

Scar

#HarveyDent
bigD this is my professional advice. i am talking to you on AIM and could give it to you there but i want everyone on the boards to see my superiority here

first stock you ***** the balls off him and carried that momentum into the second stock, between stocks i saw you do the bigD and be patient on platforms, and you waited for your opening, which was a shielded dair, anticipate the missed shine, grab which started with an epic 35% combo that eventually ended up with you having a 2 stock lead

even kels' 3rd stock started with you again being very patient, waiting for an opening, you had a dair that could have combo'd into grab which prob would have been the stock that you passed up for a probably far superior dashdance away from him so that's a fine option too

stock 1 goes away from fox ******ry but that's fine, the problem is after that though, you were just tempted by the shieldgrabs and aerials oos that had worked the whole match, but kels is on you with nairs. every time you try to challenge nairs like that you lose, unless you're darkrain. then the one time you shielded he grabbed, which is just gay, but that's part of the game

also 1:20 in where you get that epic dair that he meteor cancels, i would like to suggest invincible aerials to edgeguard, grab the ledge and time it so that your invincibility coincides with fox passing through you, even a simple fastfall dj uair at the ledge will most likely stagespike him and kill him. this is classic scar b/c if he techs it you're in a bad spot, so if you want to be safe i usually go for the invincible reverse knee, which works a lot but would be hard considering his angle

again your 2rd stock is lost b/c of a tempting dair oos but kels just quickly baired you, there's nothing you can do about that after you start the dair, you're just a sitting duck for fox.

if fox nair shines it's relatively much safer to dair, put money on them wavedashing directly under you so they can shine again in which case you dair the balls off them, or they wavedash away after the shine and youre safe. the only problem is foxes that nair shine nair/bair, but they are few and far between. anyways yeah if he nairs and doesn't shine gtfo of there, youre at a huge disadvantage.

alright well i guess that sums it up because just watching your 3rd stock you take 100% right off the bat and it's all in VERY sharp contrast with your first stock, you were controlling the match and choosing your spots and afterwards when you clearly had the lead and the win you were being baited way too much into challenging fox's aerials, you had a few trades but trading with fox is soooo bad for you

3rd stock again is lost by a bair outright beating your dair

last stock you lose b/c a bair hit you after you daired, so that's 3x. also tho you're playing the match perfectly at the beginning of last stock again, he just happened to get the first hit this time, which is fine, but you're letting fox get all that momentum by challenging. hold your shield and try to get away, once you reset the momentum try again for that first hit, once you get them you're ****** really hard.

<3

Juke

Smash Journeyman
Bigd had that ****. If he didn't mess up that one edgeguard it would have been done.

Also, here is some advice for everyone. Use the double bair as shown in the picture below.

stelzig

Smash Lord
hey man i have found a way of doing perfect gentlemans! just need to do the first punch and wait a little bit then press a twice: no matter how fast you press it as long they are 2 times will do it XD

btw which is the exact percent to tapion punch a falco?
Or just play the PAL version and press thrice as fast as you want :bee:

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Only good thing in PAL. But the rest of the game sucks big time, nair doesn't combo ROFL and there is tons of other garbage nerfs in the game.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
i asked pal'ers and they said that's the only dif they think so somebody lied to me! **** auto gentlemen must be so nice... =(

i just use aaz lightshield its the most reliable and you dont need timing. imo

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
Nah, Isai gentleman cancel works the best I think, but is it possible to cancel it with a dash? I'm only able to cancel it with a shield so far :(

How do people tech read so good? I was watching SS vids and he reads techs like crazy. Also, sometimes I see falcon players just d-throw and then just knee them on the ground, as if they knew their opponent wasn't going to tech. Is this mostly just guesswork? I mean, obviously if you play someone a long time you'll get to know how they tech, but if it's someone you just played in a tourney or something?

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
He plays them a lot.

And yes, it is guesswork. But it is also catching onto your opponents patterns. Say in the heat of action you grab do a super fast dthrow at very low percent, chances are they MIGHT miss it, why not throw out the knee? if it whiffs whatever they were in a tech animation you won't get hurt for it.

and typically people tech where they DI. if they're DI'ing away to the left they'll likely tech to the left...

but these are all just general patterns

all people are different, but there are only so many things you can do, if you guess your chances aren't that bad

j00t

Smash Champion
a note for everybody who will ever post again

if somebody tech chases with a knee, stomp, smash attack, or forward b, they predicted it

if they regrabbed, they probably reacted
Well, yeah, that's what I meant. >_>;

L:(

stelzig

Smash Lord
wait for real? pal auto-gentlemans? goddammit.
Yeah, i remember a while back i really didn't get what people was talking about with this gentleman stuff. Then a few months back i borrowed my cousins NTSC copy, and of course i quickly noticed something was different haha. I knew pretty much all other differences between the versions, but this one i had to discover on my own :p

Your falcon has been great inspiration to me btw scar. You're the reason i picked up falcon... Well not solely, i've been watching falcons for a long time, but you turned me over ;)
If only i had people to play with in this country. I pretty much have to go to Sweden (or Germany i guess) to play anyone. :(

I disagree with mana btw. PAL is much more balanced than NTSC (and gets rid of stuff like marths Dair as a spike. IIRC fox's Usmash gets slightly weaker as well. Still powerful killer, but weaker). The Nair not comboing is new stuff to me as well. Granted i rarely play against people (as said Denmark and competitive smash... Doesn't exist), but Nair combos sure does work in training mode where the CPU doesn't DI :p

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
It's more balanced but less fun. Nerfs are never fun =(

(the top tiers at least lol, yoshi is decent i think but GANON wtf did they do to him god v.v)

anyways falcon stuff

SCAR: how do I beat a falco? a campy one? (arent they all)
what can I realiably do? i try raptor boosts sometimes to go under and often i just jump in but it never works all the time.. what do i have in this matchup?

g-regulate

Smash Hero
high jumps and spaced nairs to lead to grab or knock them on the ground, you just wanna get the hit. also go for powershield to running grab if you are confident in your PS abilities.

stelzig

Smash Lord
It's more balanced but less fun. Nerfs are never fun =(

(the top tiers at least lol, yoshi is decent i think but GANON wtf did they do to him god v.v)

anyways falcon stuff

SCAR: how do I beat a falco? a campy one? (arent they all)
what can I realiably do? i try raptor boosts sometimes to go under and often i just jump in but it never works all the time.. what do i have in this matchup?
Bah as long as it's only minor tweaks, i think the nerfs (and buffs if there are any... I suppose auto-gentleman could be considered one) to balance this game are good :)
Especially when they work to your own preferred characters advantage ;)

I think i'll go back to lurk these boards for a few months now. Clearly i just start off-topic discussions when i post anyway:laugh:

g-regulate

Smash Hero
if falcos do full jump lasers than simply running under them is the best option. you just have to react accordingly. full jumping anyone = falcon **** time

PCjona

Smash Rookie
its not that easy man, have you seen falco's idjdl? lol thats a crazy acronym.. its immediate double jump double laser...its fast falled, 2 lasers come out, one at his highest peak and the other should be at ground level, its very fast... you really wouldnt have time to get under that unless you were already in his face...

thats the one thing i think that falcons only option is to shield or power shield.. because theres no avoiding the laser on top and bottom... unless you like jump and airdodge in between lol

DrewB008

Smash Lord
if he runs he can cover considerable distance before the lower laser comes out

falco can only stop falcon from advancing on the ground by just repeatedly shl'ing, and fulljump goes over that

falcons own instant double jump navigates lasers pretty well

you just dont get hit and get close, go around the lasers

PCjona

Smash Rookie
yea thats true i guess...but alot of time when i land i'll do a shine if your close so idk i think raptor boosting is really the best way around lasers

g-regulate

Smash Hero
no one is disagreeing that falco vs falcon on FD with lasers is a tough thing to overcome, but it just takes a lot of familiarity and practice, it cant really be explained with words as well as it can be felt. i still think dedicated practice of powershielding is a giant advantage for that situation in specific.

PCjona

Smash Rookie
oh yea i knew that bro
i know how tough lasers are, but i also know the other side of the coin on how to use the lasers

i was just saying that being a falco player its like if i wanna laser spam/gay im gonna do it good and not let you in lol

but yea your right tho, you gotta say what works best... but i think like g-reg said that power shielding is easily the best thing you could do...but its not the easiest thing to do

metashinryu

Smash Ace
Or just play the PAL version and press thrice as fast as you want :bee:
dont wanna sound n00bish but what is pal?:confused:

and Uair recover always work for me:)

and one more thing i can quad-Nair now just needed to put a moonwalk stick move before jumping to null the momentum of dashes and jump in place:laugh:

Scar

#HarveyDent
Nah, Isai gentleman cancel works the best I think, but is it possible to cancel it with a dash? I'm only able to cancel it with a shield so far :(
yes you can cancel it with anything, just hold A until CF does the next action you input then release A

How do people tech read so good? I was watching SS vids and he reads techs like crazy.
I was going to answer this too, but

a note for everybody who will ever post again

if somebody tech chases with a knee, stomp, smash attack, or forward b, they predicted it

if they regrabbed, they probably reacted
why do i even bother?

wats good son
perma-banned.
if falcos do full jump lasers than simply running under them is the best option. you just have to react accordingly. full jumping anyone = falcon **** time
epic g-reg post. and additional epic g-reg advice go for the fulljump uair falling uair to **** them and if they catch on and start dairing, act like youre going to fulljump uair them and instead run around and get the grab before the land

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
yes you can cancel it with anything, just hold A until CF does the next action you input then release A
I don't suppose there's a way to buffer dashes are there? And will buffering a jump by holding "up" (since pressing x or y while doing a gentleman is highly unfeasible), make me jc the gentleman?

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
WHAT ABOUT NTSC TAKING OUT FLAME CANCELING!?!?!?!? caps ****
Apparently I was incorrect, I apologize. I was unaware because I don't hear too many people complaining about Bowser nerfs (that's who has/had flame canceling, right?), since he isn't played for his battle aptitude to begin with. Thank you for pointing that out, I could have misinformed someone.

Top Bottom