• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

Scar

#HarveyDent
Back on track guys, seriously.

Regarding tech chasing by the way, SS is from what I've seen quite clearly the scariest player to be grabbed by. Hax is quite scary as well, as was Darkrain in his prime.

Johnny is getting there too, GG7 is pretty good at following up from the grab but his combos are whack save pretty notable exceptions.

Scar

#HarveyDent
@ rubyiris S2J i think is better than me right now, GG7 has a bit to go but he's definitely better than me in some matchups and not as good as me in others. Johnny Hax and SS have really good fundamentals which is why I think I really like their play.

**** you hax I'll moneymatch you too *****

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Combos are irrelevant when you live to 180%+ and have the best grab follow-up in north america.

Yall really underestimate how good gg7's grab follow-ups are, even if they arent the prettiest.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Well having played him I say from experience that he doesn't in fact have the best grab follow-ups, quite to the contrary -- the fact that his followups are weak combo-wise makes him far less scary than being grabbed by SS to name a really painfully obvious example

anyone who has played both players i'm sure can agree (besides maybe you, or someone he plays often) that jeff grabs >>> gg7 grabs, and yes i used 3

and iirc he dies at about the same % as players with pretty good DI

i think that your opinions are valid sometimes but it seems like you're making entirely unfounded claims and that's about all i have to say about that

SCAR IS GOING TO BE THE BEST SOON! HE HAD AN EPIPHANY!

caps

edit; I <3 sj2
i lol'd, turns out that there's no substitute for playing the game

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
hey guys im about to go out of the country again right at a point when i'm feeling like my falcon is getting super solid again

i'm gonna get to play while in chile though, so hopefully i keep movin up this time unlike last time when india set me back

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
Well having played him I say from experience that he doesn't in fact have the best grab follow-ups, quite to the contrary -- the fact that his followups are weak combo-wise makes him far less scary than being grabbed by SS to name a really painfully obvious example
Scar advice on what to do on platforms and what you do against Doc?

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
he hits you once, and then a million more times until you die

and he bairs your down B even though you're dead if he jus rolls

HAX$ IM COMIN FOR YOU THIS WEEKEND *****
I'm rootin for HAX! xD but I still love you Shroomed.

Can't you just Stomp Foxes at low percent? Then grab or tech-chase some more?

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I'm rootin for HAX! xD but I still love you Shroomed.

Can't you just Stomp Foxes at low percent? Then grab or tech-chase some more?
Yeah, it's so easy to land stomps on Fox.
:|

If it was that easy to land stomps on good Foxes this matchup would be a breeze

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
I need help vs Falco. Please watch these matches and give advice accordingly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb0TIHNL35U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWJsDfpCy94
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IVfZwBXVvc

I basically lost all hope and got frustrated the last match, which is very evident in playstyle >.> =(

The guy im playing is really good though, for example at this tournament he beat Pepito who is usually considered 5th in sweden. We play each other alot and although its fairly even he consistently beats me.
If any falco players want to give ROFL advice im sure he'd appreciate that aswell.

Thanks in advance.

0Room

Smash Lord
my apologies then; i've never heard of him and presumed too much
I need help vs Falco. Please watch these matches and give advice accordingly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb0TIHNL35U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWJsDfpCy94
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IVfZwBXVvc

I basically lost all hope and got frustrated the last match, which is very evident in playstyle >.> =(

The guy im playing is really good though, for example at this tournament he beat Pepito who is usually considered 5th in sweden. We play each other alot and although its fairly even he consistently beats me.
If any falco players want to give ROFL advice im sure he'd appreciate that aswell.

Thanks in advance.

I think if anyone presumed too much it was me.
I probably should have asked if you guys if you wanted a video critique thread before making it, but I suppose I can just ask for forgiveness now.

I just didn't see one, so I figured we could use one like the Falco boards in particular, which it was kind of modeled after.
So if you guys want a separate thread, let me know, if not then I can take it down.

Also, I'll come back to help you on these videos soon. Papers to do.

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
Some stuff I noticed/think you should work on:

- Learn to consistently punish tech in place with regrabs and use them more often. A good tech chase game revolves around conditioning your opponent to every option feeling equally bad and that's hard to do when you never use grabs. There are also lots of different ways to tech chase that I think you should implement (wavedash -> grab/jab reset, empty short hop -> grab, etc) to confuse your opponents more.
- Don't worry too much about playing gay with chaingrabs and the likes vs spacies, their innate homosexuality warrants playing to win to the max.
- Sometimes a good counter to high lazers is short hopping into them and then immediately double jumping out. Can surprise people and is relatively safe if spaced correctly.
- Running up to a falco and shielding just outside his "control zone" is a decent baiting trick that can result in badly planned approaches from the falco.

you could probably just disregard all that though since i suck and would probably get ***** by rofl

edit: i'm going to upload myself getting destroyed by ivp and pepito pretty soon, advice/h8/luv/etc would be appreciated

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
nah man, we can all learn from each other, your advice sounds great and i appreciate it =). youre also very good, pretty sure youre better then me.
its true that i need to mix up my tech chase game ALOT more. i basically just uthrow->guess tech->knee/stomp, and i never combo from it if they **** up the di. it never really works for me vs rofl anymore since hes gotten so good @ mixing up his techs.
i avoided lots of that because lots of the gothenburg players told me i play gay (because, lets be honest, most of them suck) and i listened to it to much. all the players better then me that i asked advice from @ beast told me i needed to play more gay, and theyre right lol.

0Room

Smash Lord
Okay well I'm going to just separate these into matches, hitting on important things

1) You need to stop those lasers. The entire time, his lasers were just absolutely wrecking your approach, and that was really messing with your head. You were doing really well at the beginning of the first match, really keeping pressure on Falco and keeping him from Lasering a lot. However, I feel like you struggled a lot with them from the second life on. Keep the pressure on, keep grabbing Falco, and keep him off balance.

2) Vary your throws. You always uthrow, and that's a great throw. But try and throw a dthrow in there every now again, make him change his tech timing. You always want to keep changing up your appraoches/throws/responses to keep him from getting too comfortable with one particular method. If you start randomly dthrowing, he might miss the tech and you get a free knee off that dthrow. Also, if you do get that dthrow->knee, you can get another grab off of it at low % :]

Also I really like your recoveries, your techs on the Dair and Dsmash were beautiful.

3) Don't give away your hand too early. At 2:00 and 3:02, you upB'd really early. I personally don't think you should have done that, as it commits you to an option. I say this a lot to people who charge smashes when people are on the ground, for instance. You always want your opponent to be guessing what you're doing until the last second. Don't show your hand too early, because you will be punished for it.

4) Go after him! 2:18 first match, he just upBs off stage. While initially we're afraid of going off stage to punish him, let me remind you that Falco is worse off than Fox for 2 reasons. 1) is that it's a shorter distance, but 2) he has NO UPB HITBOX ;D So go after him and knee/uair him to death! Don't be afraid of going out there and really wrecking his recovery. He'd do the same to you given the chance! Alternatively, lazy falcon does the job really well. [utilt]

5) Don't fight for priority. 3:13, your nair traded with Falco's Bair. While you went flying, he did not. My friend Darksyde told me something that I'll remember forever while fighting spacies: You have to grab them to death. If you fight them hit for hit, you'll always lose. They simply have more priority than our friend the Falcon.

6) Finally, don't jump. Another beautiful piece of advice from Darksyde, don't jump until you need to. At the end of the first match, you literally jumped straight into his dair. If you had waited and piloted around it, you could have made it back to the stage and began edgeguarding him.

That's about it for the first match. If the other two matches really have something stand out to me, I'll edit this post, but I hope you got something from this. Also, don't take my diction wrong: I don't think you suck or anything [I actually really like your Falcon]. It's just the way I write sometimes.
Hope I helped!

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
thanks for the advice.
yhea sometimes i kind of panic and just do up-b high. i shouldve fell a bit and waited, and then done my double jump.

you can skip watching the last match, i got frustrated and did pretty much everything wrong. (i wouldve been 4-stocked if i hadnt ragequitted). i basically just ran around like an idiot aggressively spamming uairs for no reason and missing every single easy oppurtunity i had of hitting him.

0Room

Smash Lord
thanks for the advice.
yhea sometimes i kind of panic and just do up-b high. i shouldve fell a bit and waited, and then done my double jump.

you can skip watching the last match, i got frustrated and did pretty much everything wrong. (i wouldve been 4-stocked if i hadnt ragequitted). i basically just ran around like an idiot aggressively spamming uairs for no reason and missing every single easy oppurtunity i had of hitting him.
Yeah man, it gets really frustrating sometimes.
But with Falcon especially, if you lose your cool, you lose that one edge you have over your opponent.

Top Bottom