• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
Since this is the closest thing to a social thread you guys have I thought I'd post in here.

Im pickin' up Melee because Brawl has gotten a little stale in the mouth, like a zesta cracker thats been under the oven for 3 months.

Captain Falcon was my first main in brawl, until I got tired of having my *** beat beyond my control. He's fan****ingtastic in Melee, fun to use, not half bad, and the way his character moves just feels right. (Also picking up Mewtwo because Mewtwo is the ****).

I can L cancel fairly consistently. Gentleman is hard as **** right now but I will get it sooner or later(no help from lvl 9 CPU's that DI out of CF's first 2 jabs). Im still slow compared to the rest of Melee players though. Right now Im just trying to get a grasp on how Melee is played, what characters do in what situation and so on and so forth.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TL DR

Im new. Captain Falcon is my main.

Walt

Smash Ace
Learn how awesome dash dancing is! Also Jump Canceled grabs are 100% needed for Falcon and pretty much every character in melee.

Windrose

Smash Lord
I have the best name for a S2J combo vid...

MillioNair
Sequel: Billionair

Does anyone remember this captain falcon ditto where dark rain get's comboed across the stage with nairs and a few uairs? I forget the name of the falcon that did that...

Windrose

Smash Lord
I've seen that one too, i was just on youtube looking for it. But there was also this time when jiano combos darkrain across the stage with nairs and a few uair peppered in. It was one of the first long extended combos i've seen on youtube. There's like a dozen matches between jiano and darkrain

EDIT: actually it might've been romeo....

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
@ thread title

falcon was intresting a year ago

fox is way more fun

quick fingers + quick thinking = instant fun

0Room

Smash Lord
Lol guys. We're getting a bad rep
Not that we don't deserve it

but seriously

here are my pointers for making melee bigger:

*make character guides/REAL advice threads (all the character-specific advice threads have turned into social threads). melee is a complicated game which makes it less inviting; if top pros would work together to write guides for their characters then newer players would have something to study
this is a good point. the falco forum is arguably the best character forum going right now b/c of players' willingness to discuss and critique, with peepee being the catalyst. he responds to a wide range of posts whether they be from scrubs like myself, from other top players, or those in between, which keeps the thread active by offering varying levels of discussion. i don't mean to make it sound like he's the only one putting in work in that thread b/c there are many others who make significant contributions; however his status carries a lot of weight

contrast this w/the falcon forum (sorry to pick on you guys), where the main thread houses a lot of off topic discussion (i have contributed to it a couple of times). granted it has been far more on point since ~pound v w/scar restoring some order and s2j offering advice-- when he isn't banned lol-- and every large thread is going to have some ot talk but it derails easily

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I do my part with the Ganon forums, but I'm not really comfortable giving Falcon advice.

0room, if not mindgames then it's instinct. Darkrain's instinct is very strong!

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
That's why I find that I learn more from watching s2j and GG7 vids. They don't have as much godly talent as Darkrain, so you can actually tell what their intentions are and why they chose to take a certain position/approach at some point in the match. Watching Darkrain is like... holy ****, didn't see that coming, but hey, it worked for him, and now there's a Falcon on the victory screen, hooray, now let me try that in one of my own matches, ouch, it didn't work for me, I suck.

ryankam10

Smash Journeyman
That's why I find that I learn more from watching s2j and GG7 vids. They don't have as much godly talent as Darkrain, so you can actually tell what their intentions are and why they chose to take a certain position/approach at some point in the match. Watching Darkrain is like... holy ****, didn't see that coming, but hey, it worked for him, and now there's a Falcon on the victory screen, hooray, now let me try that in one of my own matches, ouch, it didn't work for me, I suck.
I agree, matches like GG7 vs macd really just show what is the correct thing to do in whatever situation... when its safe to do this, and its easy to see why he did certain things. theyre just good for overall learning. whereas ppl like silentspectre
they do some crazy unconventional **** that doesnt work when u try it but when they do it they can just put it into a combo video

Divinokage

Smash Legend
It's very tough.. looking at something vs being in the heat of the moment. And also I'm fairly certain that the top players play at a greater speed than from the general mid-level guys, decisions happen left and right so fast. There's a certain feeling... which tells you, you can attack. Maybe Darkrain has it, I'm pretty sure he does. Can you imagine being in Darkrain's mind for one day? I'm sure some of you wouldn't mind lol.

0Room

Smash Lord
I agree, matches like GG7 vs macd really just show what is the correct thing to do in whatever situation... when its safe to do this, and its easy to see why he did certain things. theyre just good for overall learning. whereas ppl like silentspectre
they do some crazy unconventional **** that doesnt work when u try it but when they do it they can just put it into a combo video
****ing MacD man
I watched him go 2v1 against a shiek/peach and almost win at pound

It's very tough.. looking at something vs being in the heat of the moment. And also I'm fairly certain that the top players play at a greater speed than from the general mid-level guys, decisions happen left and right so fast. There's a certain feeling... which tells you, you can attack. Maybe Darkrain has it, I'm pretty sure he does. Can you imagine being in Darkrain's mind for one day? I'm sure some of you wouldn't mind lol.
This
I'm really happy with my ability to do this now. Sometimes it's wrong but it's a really strong intuition and sense.

Also, to your other posts
You can easily give advice, it's not like we're going to say "OMG KAGE YOU SUCK GTFO NOOB"
I'd like to see your ideas on Falcon's playstyle, especially flavored from Ganon.

And also, it was more of a joke post about Darkrain. I know how he literally does it, and why, it just strikes me as strange that he would, or interesting that he has to in order to hit.
It's these things that really open my mind to the options.

Walt

Smash Ace
I just watched recent darkrain stuff to analyze his decision making/intuition you guys were talking about and really I think he just play very smart, all of his choices made sense he just made them REALLY quickly. Which is not surprising with his ridiculous techchasing. But he rarely makes a poor risk vs reward decision while on the stage. Once the opponent goes off the stage he seems to take bigger chances. While on stage though he picks very good times to attack.

Also to me it looks like every time he approaches or gets a hit he has a somewhat preplanned combo waiting just really to get imputed and if the hit doesn't land or they DI in a weird way the combo is half set up as pressure anyways.

I only watched like 8 matches so I'm not sure how accurate any of this is.

Top Bottom