• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Lol windrose, <3. You seemed pretty damn good for only 8-9 months of playing, I was genuinely surprised. Ya I definitely wish there were more setups through out the day. Why does Brawl even exist now? They made us waste so much time! Like half the day before we even started with 8-9 setups. The first half of the day we had only 4 setups for 33 people... **** that.. lol. And also I don't really remember my matches since I was hella baked the whole day. =P

0Room

Smash Lord
You know what this board needs
A thread of guaranteed knee percents on every character

Just how do I start that

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
^ And it's probably more useful to gain it that way so you don't have to really think about it when you're playing.

Besides, vs. most floaties the dthrow -> knee will often work even when it doesn't true combo, since untumble + airdodge is fairly hard to do

Divinokage

Smash Legend
That's the sort of knowledge you gain subconsciously over playing for long periods of time.
Maybe for you, but that's not necessarily true for anyone. Someone like M2k actually studied the game inside/out to reveal to him what works and what doesn't. There are other people like him too. But there are also instinctual players like you or maybe more like rely on experience to do what works.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Well, stomp knee %s are hardly instinct haha
If you can do the knee fast enough you can hit them after a stomp xD
Until they go too high, but that's also fairly obvious to anyone playing <_<
Although sometimes you can do weird waveland things and still have it hit because stomp has infinity hitstun

0Room

Smash Lord
Maybe for you, but that's not necessarily true for anyone. Someone like M2k actually studied the game inside/out to reveal to him what works and what doesn't. There are other people like him too. But there are also instinctual players like you or maybe more like rely on experience to do what works.
This is a lot truer for me, because I constantly look at percents and know what options are open to me at what percents.
For example, I can't upthrow->knee DK at 50%, but I can uthrow->nair->knee at 50%

Stuff like that.
I wanna know when the right time to use what is.

edit:
That's the sort of knowledge you gain subconsciously over playing for long periods of time.
This is true, but at the same time some times I don't have that luxury of playing a character for a long amount of time. It's fine to go about it that way but when I'm fighting a Zelda in tournament for the first time I wanna know what percents I'm looking for.
I don't want to handicap myself and say "Oh I don't have enough experience to win." I don't want to be caught off guard, I want to be able to be ready for any situation.

And I think it's unfair to handicap newer players because "they haven't played enough."

Scar

#HarveyDent
lol well normal by children's standards

go to 4chan and have fun

i'd love to talk more about it via PM if you actually disagree

CF is so bad i got whooped by phil and brandon last weekend :( they are really good

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
s2j why don't you shield every time you see Luigi charge a missile
Reacting to misfires is risky business xD

Walt

Smash Ace
Went to my first smash thing up in norther-NorCal friday night, and I absolutely wrecked everyone but Nocturnalist. I had to start rotating on kids, my Falcon/Ganon/Fox were way too much for everyone else.

D

Deleted member

s2j why don't you shield every time you see Luigi charge a missile
Reacting to misfires is risky business xD
dunno lol

i lack a lot of smash common sense and most of the stuff i learn is by playing the matchup a million times

that set lol... there's a clear part where i stop trying to outthink him and just start playing gheyer

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Haha, my Smash common sense also sucks ... but my roommate is a former Luigi main <_<
Just shield next time and wavedash OoS to punish Luigi's slow as **** getup after side-b (applies to if he doesn't land onstage because Luigi's side-b is also super laggy in the air)
Fortunately Luigi is a bad character

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
i just watched some videos of me and realized how bad ive become

to be fair to myself, one of them was the first match i had played in a month, but the rest werent as much of an improvement as i hoped for

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I'm always twice as critical of myself than others when watching vids. I think I've made a ton of progress in the past couple months but still have several weak areas.

1) getting first hits in, particularly against Fox and Sheik, to put away their stocks when they're at mid-high percentages and after I just respawned
2) picking good times to attack and choices of attack, this kinda goes with s2j's post on smash common sense, I don't think mine is all that great either
3) racking up damage, the 40% or so needed to start combos again, after taking an opponent's stock... "protecting your stock" as P would say

ryankam10

Smash Journeyman
hmm... i dunno what it is but i think im lacking in some tactics/common sense

im not really sure what it is but... my tech skill is fine, i can combo just fine (as can pretty much any falcon who isnt brand new to the game), and i hold my own against other players that just about as good as I am... for example my friend who plays falco - he's pretty good, he's got good tech skill, pretty good spacing, and if you give him the chance (with some bad combo DI) he'll combo you 0 - death, but I can still hold my own against him - we're pretty much equal

but when I play my friend who plays falcon in dittos... I'll do well against him the first 10 matches or so, but then I start to get wrecked

It's not even that I'm being too reckless in my approach, I just think his sense of tactics is better, he knows when and how to approach basically in a way that I can't counter / hit him back

Some might say "well yeah just play really campy defensive and never approach", even when I do that I still find myself being basically outplayed by him :S

I prolly need more experience x_x

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
^ Whenever you get hit, if it wasn't because you messed up tech skill, just think about why you got hit...

You're playing DITTOS. If he's an approaching in a way that you feel like you can't counter, figure out how to do it and see what he does in response.

Windrose

Smash Lord
ryan, are you still in toronto? I really wanna play against you sometime. There's barely any falcon players in toronto.

D

Deleted member

hmm... i dunno what it is but i think im lacking in some tactics/common sense

im not really sure what it is but... my tech skill is fine, i can combo just fine (as can pretty much any falcon who isnt brand new to the game), and i hold my own against other players that just about as good as I am... for example my friend who plays falco - he's pretty good, he's got good tech skill, pretty good spacing, and if you give him the chance (with some bad combo DI) he'll combo you 0 - death, but I can still hold my own against him - we're pretty much equal

but when I play my friend who plays falcon in dittos... I'll do well against him the first 10 matches or so, but then I start to get wrecked

It's not even that I'm being too reckless in my approach, I just think his sense of tactics is better, he knows when and how to approach basically in a way that I can't counter / hit him back

Some might say "well yeah just play really campy defensive and never approach", even when I do that I still find myself being basically outplayed by him :S

I prolly need more experience x_x
if after 10 matches its probably cuz he adjusted to you

so mix it upppppp

camping is fine but sometimes its good to take the weird approach and do stuff like run past them erratically

Scar

#HarveyDent
lol that sliq quote is priceless

i just commented on a sliq commentary vid on YT saying that i love him

anyways ryank just get better

i hate tech chasing falco and being too slow to grab tech in place and getting shined FUUUUUUUUU

Brookman

Smash Hero
I posted this on one of your recent youtube matches, s2j, but I wanted to share on swf too.

You have one of the most violent falcon's that I have ever seen!!

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
but seriously juggleguy, watch my new videos vs the chileans, im awful
I thought you just won a tourney over there not too long ago.. what's going on?

I posted this on one of your recent youtube matches, s2j, but I wanted to share on swf too.

You have one of the most violent falcon's that I have ever seen!!
I like Johnny's crazy dash dance tech chase method, it seems to punish tech in place a lot more than traditional tech chase movement like just dash forward, or WD forward (SS style).

Top Bottom