• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
sorry i left for a few days scar, way to answer some questions for once

tech chase someone away from you on yoshis/maybe dl64 and run forward sh stomp ledgecancel it into backflip onto the platform and charge up that forward/down smash

uair only beats samus if shes above you, while thats all you should do once shes in the air its pretty incomplete in terms of giving advice on fighting samus since the hardest part of the matchup is getting her to go above you

jump around, jump over her, make the fight vertical so shes tempted to jump sometimes. this applies to jiggs and lots of other non falcon/spacies/marth as well

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
that dude shouldve rested you like 15 times

its hard to give advice cause there were no consequences for your mistakes

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
to be fair he missed two rests. In only one game. I was more looking for things like what i should and shouldn't approach with. saying. You could, for instance, comment on what got me into the rest combo(whether it had a successful ending or not).

if there were no consequences to my mistakes shouldn't I have been 4 stocking him? XD

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
i dont mean the rests he missed

i mean every time he ducked a grab, you shouldve been rested

every time you teched right into his body (3 times i think) you shouldve been rested

he didnt even attempt the rests that im referring to

the reason its hard to give advice is because it would be stupid for me to tell you not to go for grabs against him, seeing as he doesnt punish them and it gets you kills. if you play a jiggs that knows how to take advantage of the crouch, you will get rested over and over again by trying that. if i were playing against a jiggs that didnt punish it, i would grab a lot too, even though "dont grab" is advice i would normally give

dthrow uair is pretty good for mid %'s when he may potentially rest you out of the dthrow knee and the spacing gets tough, it often leads to a knee too

throw in some dumb utilts every once in a while, jiggs players hate that

Scar

#HarveyDent
help meh please
run forward, shffl dair, turn around run the other way shffl dair, repeat

question for scar

ive been learning falcon for a while but i still feel like im missing something
l-canceled aerial into JC grab
DD to wavedash
wavelanding on platforms
getting good @ combos
getting my tech chasing down good
moonwalking
wall jumping (workin on it)

what else should i be practicing in terms of tech skill
those are nice technical things to be good at but you need to know why you're doing them

to up your overall speed just make sure all your aerials are coming out as fast as they can. to make sure you're being tight, short hop and fastfall as soon as you can. notice if when you do an aerial that you're actually using that same timing for your fastfall. sometimes nair will be a bit slower, that's okay, but make sure your moves are coming out.

if your fastfall timing is perfect that's good but you still need to be inputting the aerial as soon as you can after you jump. once you're doing your move as soon as possible, fastfalling it at the perfect time, and l-canceling properly you're ready to start hitting enemies with those moves because the fastfall / l-cancel timing is different. if you're l-canceling consistently while hitting and missing you're doing what you should be doing.

next thing to learn is to run immediately after, but that's after you have all that.

n00bking what would you like to add

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Can you guys watch my matches with blunted object?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrgGpCAKoUU

<3

advice plz. Even though I know where i screwed up, lul.
LOL @ the commentary. Your Falcon is sexy and was doing great, but I noticed a few times you stomped him into the ground and just stood there waiting for him to roll or something. Jab reset to knee there, it freaking ***** and would have gotten you the kill several times.

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
smoke2joints is really good

i like his style

he got a MM up on waffles channel

i was trying to play as i was watching

and he got the tech chases while i would have missed them like 75% of the time

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
Can you guys watch my matches with blunted object?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrgGpCAKoUU

<3

advice plz. Even though I know where i screwed up, lul.
yo

i dont know if you do it but

at 9:15 you did an upair into a grab, missed some stuff

then bo10 did a nair that went behind you into a shine

and you stomped OoS and it hit him straight down

when that happens jab so you can jab reset into a grab or knee or something

you could have done it a couple of times

and tech chase with grab a little bit more, you only did it like once i think

usually people tech chase left/right then the next time they either tech in place or dont tech

so knee that

edit: i didnt see what you wrote thumbs lol

and my cell phone fell on the floor and disappeared

why cant stuff fall on the floor and stay put

things always go like across the room from where you dropped it

Afro_Chris

Smash Ace
ight so me and I.B were doing some CC testing for Falcon vs Marth, this is what we found. We only tested moves that Marths would usually approach with. This chart shows the last % it works at after which Falcon will be knocked down. You can punish Marth with grab, d-tilt, f-tilt, etc. but I'm too lazy to write which %s they work up to so you'll have to figure that out for yourself.

Falcon vs Marth
Crouch Cancel

Moves ..........................................................................Tip.............................................................Mid Hit

Dash Attack .....................................................................63% .........................................................70%

Fair.............................................................................. 77%.........................................................124%

Down tilt ....................................................................180%.........................................................232%

Nair ........................................................................... 74%....................................................There is no mid hit

Dair .................................................................... Cant CC and punish.......................................did not look for

Side Notes
Nair, mid-hit Dash Attack, mid-hit Down tilt, mid-hit Fair (can all be CC grabbed you gotta find the % though)
Tip Fair (can never be CC grabbed, and if u down tilt they can CC the down tilt and punish u)

the one really good use for it that i've found is when ur running away from marth if they dash atk u, and u get hit by the tip, it makes falcon turn around and u can grab them for it :)

but i'll leave the rest up 2 you guys to figure out wat u wana do wit it i hope this helps in the marth match up

i will prob do the other top tiers if ppl think this is a good idea/thinks it helps, unless someone else beats me to it

edit: i dunno wat happened but the format like ****ed up

edit: on a side note, noobking are u coming to toronto wit the rest of EC before pound? if so i wana play ur falcon in the ditto

xXx-NoobKing-xXx

Smash Hero
LOL @ the commentary. Your Falcon is sexy and was doing great, but I noticed a few times you stomped him into the ground and just stood there waiting for him to roll or something. Jab reset to knee there, it freaking ***** and would have gotten you the kill several times.
Word, I don't ever jab reset, thanks. =)

yo

i dont know if you do it but

at 9:15 you did an upair into a grab, missed some stuff

then bo10 did a nair that went behind you into a shine

and you stomped OoS and it hit him straight down

when that happens jab so you can jab reset into a grab or knee or something

you could have done it a couple of times

and tech chase with grab a little bit more, you only did it like once i think

usually people tech chase left/right then the next time they either tech in place or dont tech

so knee that

edit: i didnt see what you wrote thumbs lol

and my cell phone fell on the floor and disappeared

why cant stuff fall on the floor and stay put

things always go like across the room from where you dropped it
Thanks as well Jona.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Word, I don't ever jab reset, thanks. =)
You absolutely should. Not only does it look sexy as hell when you combo into it, but it puts spacies into positions for kills that you wouldn't normally get. Force yourself to jab after the stomp, after a while you'll get the timing down and know when it'll work and when it won't. I'd almost say it's necessary to take down a high level spacie.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
There are times where you should grab after a stomp rather than jab, like at the 40 to 50% range generally, where they pop up enough to get grabbed, but not high enough to really do anything else. Jabbing them can give them an opportunity to get away.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
There are times where you should grab after a stomp rather than jab, like at the 40 to 50% range generally, where they pop up enough to get grabbed, but not high enough to really do anything else. Jabbing them can give them an opportunity to get away.
Nair -> stomp doesn't pop spacies up. It regrounds them, making a jab reset knee possible. Grabbing after the stomp is impossible at any percent because they're lying on the ground. I know what you're talking about, but it's a different scenario.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
And the best part about the jab reset is you can do anything from it. Doesn't have to be a knee, could be a grab, stomp, raptor boost, hell even upsmash and dsmash. Either way it is EXTREMELY useful and should be integrated with your play style.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Ah, ok, I just saw people talking about jabbing after stomps.

I have to say, though, that I have popped people up in the air with a stomp after nair, though the last time I definitively remember it happening was in Falcon dittos.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
yeah it can happen, depending on if the stomp hits them after theyre done bouncing or not

D

Deleted member

when you are fighting a noob, jab reset to knee *****

but if you fight a better person its better to jab and wait to see what they do and grab (to me) since most people will hold a direction to roll

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I never said CC Marth's d-tilt to d-tilt. I said CC mid hit d-tilt to grab.:dizzy:
if you get a chance, CC a marth dtilt and try to grab before marth grabs you.

if nothing else, i think marth would get the grab out of spacing (because CCing dtilt sends you away still)

`DNS`

Smash Lord
ight so me and I.B were doing some CC testing for Falcon vs Marth, this is what we found. We only tested moves that Marths would usually approach with. This chart shows the last % it works at after which Falcon will be knocked down. You can punish Marth with grab, d-tilt, f-tilt, etc. but I'm too lazy to write which %s they work up to so you'll have to figure that out for yourself.

Falcon vs Marth
Crouch Cancel

Moves ............................Tip...................................Mid Hit

Dash Attack ......................63% ....................................70%

Fair......................................77%......................................124%

Down tilt ..........................180%...................................232%

Nair ................................. 74%.....................................There is no mid hit

Dair ................................. Cant CC and punish............did not look for

Side Notes
Nair, mid-hit Dash Attack, mid-hit Down tilt, mid-hit Fair (can all be CC grabbed you gotta find the % though)
Tip Fair (can never be CC grabbed, and if u down tilt they can CC the down tilt and punish u)

the one really good use for it that i've found is when ur running away from marth if they dash atk u, and u get hit by the tip, it makes falcon turn around and u can grab them for it :)

but i'll leave the rest up 2 you guys to figure out wat u wana do wit it i hope this helps in the marth match up

i will prob do the other top tiers if ppl think this is a good idea/thinks it helps, unless someone else beats me to it

edit: i dunno wat happened but the format like ****ed up

edit: on a side note, noobking are u coming to toronto wit the rest of EC before pound? if so i wana play ur falcon in the ditto
fixed

code @ http://pastebin.ca/1739548

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
do it with ganon!

jk, but you shuold try that at low percent and see if it combos into reverse knee, then it would be the sickest thing i've ever seen

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
and if you mess up, youll just dash dance and up smash them when they double jump and forward b onto the level, maybe

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
when you are fighting a noob, jab reset to knee *****

but if you fight a better person its better to jab and wait to see what they do and grab (to me) since most people will hold a direction to roll
If I remember correctly, Falco is forced to get up in place until a certain point, something around 25% ish? I think Falcon's 'jab breaking point' is even higher. Magus posted a chart with specifics a couple months ago.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
its puff's thats really high (up to like 40% or something)

but i agree with s2j, usually you have to watch which way they roll. After 1 or 2 hits, they are out of the forced getup range. This isn't fox where you have a way to put them on the ground for a reset (shine) at 0%.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
DOes anyone esle dayfream of falcon with falco's shine? (shine knee)

Is a running bair smart to you to tech chase? like IU will aim the bair at where they would tech in place and try to grab other wise. I sometimes use that.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
DOes anyone esle dayfream of falcon with falco's shine? (shine knee)

Is a running bair smart to you to tech chase? like IU will aim the bair at where they would tech in place and try to grab other wise. I sometimes use that.
lol, most definitely. This would be uber broken lol. and fun as hell.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
Chred, I just watched all the falcon dittoes between you and thumbs and skyheart. I have to agree, you are more flashy than thumbs. Although I LOVE ME SOME THUMBS (No homo).

Top Bottom