• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda Scariest Moment In Zelda History?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I only saw the videos because the written story was TL;DR

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
the videos were pretty neat and creepy, but the story was anything but well written
Relatively, compared to the others in the genre. It was refreshing not having an incredibly terrible video game based creepy-pasta.

But as an actually story, no, it wasn't very well written.

The written story only seemed better BECAUSE of the videos, anyway.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
for me, it would be ReDeads (specially in Wind Waker) and that cutscene in Twilight Princess where Lanayru tells the origin of the fused shadows.

Also in Twilight Princess, Yeta's transformation into Blizzeta and in Skyward Sword, the first time you follow Fi, when a Remlit reveals its agressive nature for the first time were also creepy. Majora's Mask also had a few disturbing moments, but not too scary for me to get creeped out.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Molgera. Just it's entrance and attacks makes you wonder why Fado was even killed by that monstrosity.

Spire

III
BRoomer
OoT/MM Great Fairies might earn the creepiest character award. They all seem like old seductresses preying on poor Link. They're genuinely disturbing.

"Come see me anytime".

Jeff the Killer

Smash Cadet
1) The Dead Hand in Master Quest. In fact, ALL Dead Hands that pop up and that thing comes out after an amount of time.

2) What made me do a military backflip was the Guardian's attack in Skyward Sword. That thing ALMOST took a life out of me. It was close, because that thing was like "Surprise Motherf***er".

3) What really got me was that ReDead at the corner of that room where that Poe was in the Arbiter Grounds. It swung it's sword at me before I knew it and I shield broke myself (which means I jumped in the air and landed on my back after a few backflips).

Spire

III
BRoomer
See, Dead Hand is scary, but you can kill it. You can't kill the Great Fairies.

zaneebaslave

Smash Journeyman
The entire game of Majora's Mask is scary as hell to me. See, redeads and dead hand are pretty scary, but they are more like "jump out and go boo" kinds of scary. Majora's Mask is a well thought out, intricate, and other-wordly forms of horror.

You will probably think I'm over-thinking the game after I'm done with this conversation, but here is my point. Link is teleported to a world that is completely alien in almost every way, aside from the fact that everyone is completely identical to people he knew from his home. The difference though, is that they aren't the same people. They are complete strangers. And no matter if he has saved their lives in the other world, in this one, they have no idea who he is. That in and of itself is creepy to me. Added to the fact that there is a bloody great apocalypse happening in only three days, which will wipe everyone you thought you knew completely out. That in and of itself is frightening.

So what does Link do? Well, he tries to help these people, of course! But how? There is no way to save these poor people from this grim demise. All Link can do is sortof... Ease their passing. But the sad part is, you cannot even ease everyone's passing at the same time. So Link has to keep re-living these people's last few days, over and over and over, trying to help one or two people out of so so many before the moon falls. That is pretty deep and terrible.

No wonder you never saw the Hero of Time Link anymore! I would have retired too!

... I'm also scared of the talking skull walls.

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
When I was about 4-5 years old the scene were Skull Kid is standing on top of the clock tower used to scare me. The Sacred Meadow Moblins from Ocarina of Time. I remember as a little kid walking into the maze expecting there to be Mad Scrubs like usual only to have a heart attack when I heard one of those things make that sound then get pushed back while being able to do nothing. I used to turn the volume down when I walked into that section. Though I think we can all agree there is nothing scarier then when you're in a boss fight with only one heart left and you have used up all the spare hearts that are provided in the chamber.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
That guy was certainly making reference to that creepypasta meme BEN DROWNED or whatever rather than anything in the game itself. if you haven't played it, that Link is just a statue that you can make with an Ocarina song, to hold down switches and stuff.

but even without that creepypasta, just look at it. it looks creepy. it was creepy when i was a kid and it's still creepy. all the shell forms are eerie looking by design.

justinrobk

Smash Rookie
Honestly, in Majora's Mask when I first encountered a giant bee. I'm absolutely terrified of stinging insects in real life and there was something just so unexpected about seeing them, even though it makes sense when you destroy something that looks like a hive. When you broke them in OOT, occasionally an item dropped, but that was it. It's also messed up how if you shield, their stinger hits it like an automatic weapon and will actually back you into a corner. I honestly don't think I've been as scared of anything in a video game...

DekuTree

Smash Rookie
Wallmasters create a real sense of fear...but nothing can compare to the dead hands. Suddenly being grabbed by one of their hands and it abruptly appearing out of the ground is downright scary, especially when you're a kid. Plus their appearance looks like something out of Resident Evil...

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
Death Sword in Twilight Princess. Figuring it was just the Nintendo standard flying sword enemy, it took me a while to work out to use my senses, and was totally taken off guard by what I saw. And the noise it made. The game had been grim and humourless from frame one, but that thing was still pretty surprising.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Getting ***** as Young Link by either Redeads, mummies, or that scary *** mid-boss you fight to obtain the Lens of Truth.

Seriously though... I know at least 3 people who have chilhood traumas from Redeads after playing Zelda. So speaking of scary stuff in Zelda, OoT Redeads should always be mentoined. Always.

And Wall Masters yeah. If only for the dramatic sound effects.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Not sure if it was mentioned yet, but LikeLikes, especially in MM are HORRIFYING. They're so huge and that undulating motion they do just sends shivers down my spine. The fact that they are the ONLY creatures that can consistently and semi-permanently remove pieces of your equipment only give more reason to stay the hell away from them.

Ultimate kaos

Smash Cadet
Well, I was really terrified of the great fairy in the fountain from ocarina of time. I mean look at that cut scene, the camera angles are evil! :(

Scarletta

Smash Rookie
After reading through this entire thread, I can't believe no one mentioned the deep python bit from MM!! The first time one popped out at me I nearly jumped out of my skin! And to make matters worse, once you deal with one you have to then go into MORE alcoves, where there may or may not be another snake. So you edge your way into the next alcove, expecting the worst, then just as you start to think "naw, this one is empty" --BAM!! Heart attack. I've always been freaked out by deep water and underwater snakes/eels, so I'm sure that helps, but surely loads of people found that scary?

Agree about LikeLikes...those things caused me so much anxiety as a kid.

Definitely agree with a lot of the above though. MM was mega creepy, but there are a lot of unsettling bits in Zelda games.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
You mean the underwater part with the horrible snake monsters that attacked from those holes? Yeah I agree, it was goddamn scary. There was a reason I had forgotten about it.

joY

Pot splitter
Ugh, the opening sequence in aLttP showing Agahnim kidnapping and warping all the damsels. I honestly thought he was zapping them into oblivion. I was eight.

Or having that **** in Kakariko village rat me out to the guards. For some reason the idea of me being the villain in a peaceful town made me sick.

Like I was some kind of monster.

itsameluigi1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
luigitime1290
Probably either Beneath the Well or the Shadow the Hedgehog Temple. Those were some seriously scary places! Oh, and the first time I got captured by a Redead in Wind Waker. *Shudders*

Shirekeldeo7

Smash Cadet
Serioisly rarley anyone is saying redeads they're scary

Posted from Smashboards.com App for Android

YoshiLeoot

Smash Rookie
Is no one going to mention the stress hellishness that is the silent realms? That is the definition of tension.

Schoo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4811-7465-8082
I always found Twilight Princess' night time in the overworld to be excessively creepy. I don't know what it is, the monsters, that music. It all just builds up paranoia inside me.

For me, though, the scariest moment in Zelda history would be in the Pinnacle Rock in Majora's Mask. I have always had an aversion to deep, and/or murky water, and aquatic life. 2spokky5me

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
When I was little I would always get scared during the small cut scenes whenever Link changed forms after a mask change in Majora's Mask. The scream, the bulging eyes... Even to this day I find it fairly creepy.

The moon would also scare the crap outta me especially if it was the final day.

Hell Majora's Mask in general was one huge nightmare inducing mind ****.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Probably when I first saw Gohma in OoT...that was horrifying haha. Also the spiders in OoT that were hideous and made horrific noises when you saw them.

Xandr7272

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3711-8590-0513
When I was little I would always get scared during the small cut scenes whenever Link changed forms after a mask change in Majora's Mask. The scream, the bulging eyes... Even to this day I find it fairly creepy.

never ever again, that stuff got to me as a kid and it still gets me

Every time I go through WW, I have to mentally prepare myself before the Forest dungeon for the mothulas, I don't know what it is about them, they just... bug me.

BoomToon

Smash Apprentice
I always thought changing into the Zora was the worst...easily the scariest of them all for me.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Link putting on the Deku Mask was kind of freaky to me when I first had him put it on. None of the transformation masks bothered me after that though.

Also, I've never really been afraid of Redeads, Wallmasters or Floormasters (although I was startled when a Wallmaster first attacked me in Oot, and when I first came across WW'd Redeads) but Dead Hand....my God, I thought I'd have nightmares the night after I first saw it. I entered the Shadow Temple before I went to the well, and I was far from pleased to see it again in the Bottom of the Well. I've long gotten over my fear of it though.

drawingpandagirl

Smash Rookie

etecoon

Smash Hero
The thing about elegy of emptiness statue Link is that it's suggesting something that you don't really consciously register while you're playing(most people wouldn't at least)

The masks you wear all represent dead people, you can only leave a zora statue or a goron statue behind because you take the form of a dead zora and a dead goron...

Top Bottom