• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scrub-Proof: The Competitive Ike Thread: Take Cover Here! -MOTD: Up Tilt!

fire_wulf

Smash Journeyman
Time to finally bring back my Ike since we have a place to talk and improve.

The only time i use Dtilt is to attempt a spike off stage. What i like to do is to stand with my back to the ledge and then let them approach. Jab-Jab-Grab-Hit-Back Throw-Then Dtilt if they are close enough or let them sweat it out. I have killed with this at 12%... worked beautifully.

I have used this as a mind game as well. Threw them behind me then crouched down, made them look for the Dtilt.. then ran off the ledge, hopped and Dair spiked them. Love killing at like 40%

VersatileBJN

Smash Ace
Bobwhiz, I wouldn't use counter like that if I were you. In general the best way to play Ike is aggressive, but with intelligent defense. Of course there are certain match ups where this isn't possible(Metaknight) and playing hardbody defense is the only feasible way to win, but yeah you get the point. Countering at a high percentage is pretty risk. When I'm about to die with Ike I try to place a bigger emphasis on defense and get as much damage in as I can without/before being killed.

Short hop eruptions would work to catch ledge jumpers I bet, but I prefer trusty uair and fair and nair for that.

Nella I am not understanding exactly how the fludd cape gimp works. Is there any video of this, or maybe someone can do it to me. I dunno. It sounds fierce.

Aether out of shield would be nasty if the invincibility frames were instant. I am pretty sure he doesn't gain SA frames right away, and the start up is probably too slow to beat out much up close after shielding. I will experiment with it soon, but I can't see it being too effective. Also, even if Aether connects its difficult to hit all of the attack, possibly leaving Ike open on the way down. Vs Meta Knight that can lead into a edge gimp very fast.

Yall should definitley listen to XYZ because his grab game with Ike is on point. Using jab to set up grabs is huge. Nair works too. Good stuff XYZ.

As for my least used move. Well, we'll just make it the move of the day.

Down tilt

By a mile. How is this move useful at all exactly? I can see for spiking stupid people who can't take advantage of invincibility upon grabbing the ledge, but that's about it. Oh also, learned this from Silven way back. If the opponent is shield happy and blocks to block all of the jab combo, down tilt after the first Jab will hit a lot if their shield is deteriorated(legs are uncovered). Sidestep owns that set up hard though.

VersatileBJN

Smash Ace
Oh yeah, and lots of nasty vids going up soon between myself and Snakeee. Fresh out the oven for yall ^_^

As soon as I can figure out why my desktop freezes as soon as my computer is started. I can't click anything. I'm posting this using safe mode. It must be some kind of awful virus I have eh?

Also note that for the move of the day/question of the day I will only be quoting 3 or 4 people's thoughts for the first post unless there is some SERIOUS development going on with the move and lots of people are contributing to it. This way we don't sound like broken records. I have nothing to say about down tilt since I think it's a borderline worthless move outside of a shoddy set up and for spiking idiots, so yeah.

Oh yeah, and one last note. As videos continue to flow through, I will be removing videos by us Ike users upon request. This is so as we improve as players our abilities can be properly reflected through new videos. How epic would it be having dozens of videos of us Ikes whooping bootay all over the states(and canada too for Trebor lolz)? Anything new from someone will be highlited with a "NEW!" next to the player's name.

One last request lmao. When you put up a video if you can do it in this format

Versatile(Ike) vs Hostilitiy(Ike)

Insert Link Here

It'd be very much appreciated. Makes it easier for me to put it up and for others viewing to navigate.

Wolt

Smash Journeyman
Looks like this is gonna be a very nice Ike discussion thread, I like it so far. Now then, Aether-ing out of the shield has its big share of ups and downs, but notably is the initial hit. I only find doing it out of the shield to work about 20% of the time, usually on the time I do it. Every other time results in a side-step and I end up getting punished.

xYz, can you get a video of that combo? I would like to see that in action for myself, looks great though.

On to the down tilt. There is not a lot to say. It doesn't have much use in Ike's repertoire other then being used in random hit or be punished mindgames and spiking. The startup and lag is too much and it'll just send em straight up or straight down. Sometimes at an angle, but that happens on the tip of the blade I believe.

For my least used move, dtilt, and surprisingly, his Bair. I can never set up for it well and in wifi I can't RAR, it just doesn't happen for me. I'm pretty good at the use of Counter though, half the time I use it for recovering, when characters like ROB try to get me in midair, or if I'm right next to the stage.

I will be getting a better recording system, or just fight people who have good recording systems, depends on my money at the time.

Hostility

Smash Ace
I'm not sure whether I should cry or jump for joy. This thread is actually accomplishing its goal? Maybe there is hope...

Ike's recovery is very gimpable, thats for sure. Anyone who plays the character against high caliber characters will know this. But, I think its still important to find out which characters gimp us worse than others. This is why I wanted to discuss the Mario situation, who doesn't gimp you with a standard aerial. Aerials reset your Up-B/Side-B, capes and FLUDDs do not. Use in combination, they are virtually simultaneous, nullifying the normal *airdodge and continue recovering* tactic that's becoming the norm. You can be right beside the stage, and can't even avoid the gimp, and this gimp doesn't even allow a second chance at recovering. That's extremely harsh, and we should be working as a community to try and figure out a way to avoid it beyond "Recover high".

Next item I'd like to discuss is Aether out of the shield. Has anyone else found this technique to be absolutely godly? I often dash at people, shield an attack and follow up with Aether for a quick 15-20%. This tactic may come from my Marth play, but I wonder if anyone else finds it useful? I also am finding Aether to be an excellent C-C-Combo breaker, if we needed another one in this game. Against character like Metaknight and Snake, having a way to get out of the multi-hit techniques like Jab Combo's and tilts is becoming important. In this regard, Aether's Super Armour and huge damage potential seems reasonable.

What do you guys think?

Unfortunetly if Ike is offstage and getting ready to get gimped, your options are near 0. Ike is not good offstage and has few options when put offstage. Avoiding gimps are really situational, so trying to find a solution that works for everything probably isn't the way to go, you really have to make a good judgement call to avoid a potential gimp as ike.

And concerning aether out of shield, I don't really like it as an out of shield attack, it's relatively sluggish, doesn't have much range, and if you miss you are giving your opponent a free hit, aether is a really risky attack on stage in general, and I really don't think using it out of shield is a good option. it's almost always better to jab, bair, or grab out of sheild.

Hostility

Smash Ace
Down tilt

By a mile. How is this move useful at all exactly? I can see for spiking stupid people who can't take advantage of invincibility upon grabbing the ledge, but that's about it. Oh also, learned this from Silven way back. If the opponent is shield happy and blocks to block all of the jab combo, down tilt after the first Jab will hit a lot if their shield is deteriorated(legs are uncovered). Sidestep owns that set up hard though.
I prefer to use down smash on someone's depleted shield rather than down tilt. I think the best use for down tilt is to gimp someone who is double jumping to catch the ledge or trying to double jump on stage without using their up B recovery. Since a lot of people aren't good at sweet spotting the ledge with their double jump, you can usually get the spike. I've gotten back throw down tilt gimps with ike on reasonably good players before, although this obviously isn't something that will work often, but it is an option. The only other use for down tilt that i've found is just using it on dedede or other characters who don't have an up B that auto sweetspots. Other than that, I think down tilt is a fairly useless move for how slow and weak the move is.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Hostility I can't agree enough about the down-tilt. Useful options are two things: spike or a mindgame kill move at high %. May or may not be useful, but use d-tilt to trade blows with some characters. It has been proven that d-tilt does not have SA frames however, it still allows you to trade blows (I'm guessing high priority) and not have knockback which I believe can be potentially useful. One example that may work is a character, say snake, approaches you with d-air. Use d-tilt and either trade blows with the incoming snake or hit him untouched, of course this is hypothetical, so I guess last use of d-tilt is trap move (not really a mindgame). There are better options though. Aether out of shield is too good.

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
D-tilt is so limited its not even funny. Even as a spike, D-air is often more effective because you can actually get them before they sweet-spot the ledge. Whenever I hit with D-tilt, its usually because I fudged a D-Smash, or tilted down F-tilt.

Speaking of tilted F-tilts, has anyone actually incorporated this into their strategy? You can aim them high and low, to clip at exposed parts of their body to shield-poke. Considering how much I f-tilt (I personally believe its an excellent move) being able to aim it at the ankles and get shield-pokes is amazing. The move is so beefy and ranged, its just excellent and satisfying when it connects. ^^

VersatileBJN

Smash Ace
Yeah unfortunately Aether out of shield sucks because of all the reasons me and hostility gave :(

I tried it Nella. Lets just say epic fail.

I had NO idea forward tilt guiding was universal. I thought only some chars could do it. I need to go try that right now. Sick.

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
Yeah unfortunately Aether out of shield sucks because of all the reasons me and hostility gave :(

I tried it Nella. Lets just say epic fail.

I had NO idea forward tilt guiding was universal. I thought only some chars could do it. I need to go try that right now. Sick.

It's not QUITE universal. Some characters can't do it, like Snake.

But, Ike can. ;)

And ****, I must be getting lucky with my Aether's out of the shield. I don't use them often, maybe 1-2 a match, but they always hit. Hmmmm, maybe its the skill of the players I'm against.

Hostility

Smash Ace
Nair -> Crouch canceled jab -> Dtilt. Their shield will be too depleted and it will hit under it.
Yea but the down tilt has so much startup lag, that you will easily get shield grabbed before the down tilt comes out. Plus down tilt only does 10%, Any other move would be better to use.

I never use DTilt, unless I'm messing with someone or poking a sheild. I use Aether and DAir for spikes, and FTilt, UTilt, and even Jab are better for...well, pretty much everything.

Kirk

Smash Champion
Alright so I be back finally.

Pretty much what everyone said before is spot on. But here are my thoughts:

--Aether out of shield: Too **** slow. It never worked whenever I tried it, and it left me open for attack afterwards. Sorry but this isn't the best thing to do out of shield.

--Dtilt: Again, everyone has said it before...its not that useful unfortunately. Spiking people double jumping to the ledge or shield stabbing are its only practical uses. The start up is slower than his Dsmash, and lag after to boot. It's only viable as a surprise attack, since almost every Ike rarely uses this move, if at all. Overall...there are better options for Ike.

--Ftilt: Great spacing tool. I really like this attack. It's got some nice range, decent start up and very good knockback. The key to this move is to space it properly...aim to hit with the tip of the sword. The lag afterwards can get you punished with improper spacing. Angling it up and down seems useful also, but I don't usually think about angling the tilt when I use it.

I recorded a set of Ike vs. Falco vids...it went pretty well I think...not as much towards the end lol. Maybe I can link those another time.

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
Alright so I be back finally.

Pretty much what everyone said before is spot on. But here are my thoughts:

--Aether out of shield: Too **** slow. It never worked whenever I tried it, and it left me open for attack afterwards. Sorry but this isn't the best thing to do out of shield.

--Dtilt: Again, everyone has said it before...its not that useful unfortunately. Spiking people double jumping to the ledge or shield stabbing are its only practical uses. The start up is slower than his Dsmash, and lag after to boot. It's only viable as a surprise attack, since almost every Ike rarely uses this move, if at all. Overall...there are better options for Ike.

--Ftilt: Great spacing tool. I really like this attack. It's got some nice range, decent start up and very good knockback. The key to this move is to space it properly...aim to hit with the tip of the sword. The lag afterwards can get you punished with improper spacing. Angling it up and down seems useful also, but I don't usually think about angling the tilt when I use it.

I recorded a set of Ike vs. Falco vids...it went pretty well I think...not as much towards the end lol. Maybe I can link those another time.
Okay, I'm convinced, I'm just lucky with Aethers out of the shield.

And Kirk, you should REALLY try aiming the F-tilt. You can can get surprise pokes in that throw your opponent for a loop! Except, unlike most shield poking attacks, this one can kill at low %. ^^

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
dtilt works on scrubs and not as skilled players and people who don't know Ike's Dtilt will spike you at 7%.

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
I find it funny that we're discussing Ike's weakest/most useless move right off the bat. xD

It's making conversation rather difficult, as we can practically only say:

"This move spikes... might work against n00bs on the ground."

Should we move onto another topic... say F-tilt?

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
i have a question are tilts easier to pull off with a gamecube controller than a classic? cause i use the classic and always end up smashing instead of ftilt which lead me to start using dtilt which sounds rly bad right now but i kinda figured it was bad already its just the only tilt i can pull of. and its pretty much only worked on my noob friend who i 3 stocked and only gained 15% dmg trough out the whole fight

also could some1 have some matches with me and tell me what i need to work on i bought a recording system but got free shipping so it might be a while before i get it lol and could u tell me what RaR and gimp are i kinda figured gimp out but id like to know exactly what it means.

edit: krath posted this combo that has dtilt.

Looked in the guide and it wasn't there. I posted it on BrawlCentral a couple days ago.

short hop dair/dtilt -> utilt -> Aether/uair

Uair and dtilt are both good for mixing it up, since if they try to dodge Aether as soon as the utilt's hitstun is done, uair will get them. Of course, like all of Ike's combos, they have to be at low %s and it's able to be dodged.

Kirk

Smash Champion
I find it funny that we're discussing Ike's weakest/most useless move right off the bat. xD

It's making conversation rather difficult, as we can practically only say:

"This move spikes... might work against n00bs on the ground."

Should we move onto another topic... say F-tilt?

That's basically it haha. I agree though...there really isn't much else to say about this particular attack...unless someone comes up with a shocking revelation of its usefulness in Ike's game. I'm all for a change...but If we wish to discuss Dtilt for a day I'm fine with it too :D

VersatileBJN

Smash Ace
New move tomorrow, and this one will be big.

A hint: Without this move, Ike would be borderline unplayable.

Until then..down tilt sucks O_O

The Great Gonzales

Smash Ace
ah its so nice to see a thread that is't scrubs saying how Ike is the best chracter in the game
I really like Ike and i've been using him exclusively in tourney's, no i dont have any videos of myself
but i will say that i have a very unique style since i play figthing games. I've been placing arigth in tourney's my best placing has been 5th but thats mainly cause i dont own the game so i dont practice and generally suicide in my sets. I've placed well at esticle wich had nearly 100 people.

Enougth about me thougth its interesting to see what people think about certain moves depending on their style.Ike is high risk higt reward so people need to realize that so they can start placing higher in tourney's. It really depends on how you play, i generally ***** AAA just because its the quikest move he has and you can play great keep away with it. Generally thougth i do AA then if they block i wont do the last A because it is punishable on block. Other players seem to love the Fair, wich is an excelent move dont get me wrong but againts some chracters it can still get punished at max range(mainly Olimar,Snake). Hopefully the metagame for Ike will develop at a good rate cause I love playing him and i would like to win a major tourney with him.

P.S Online sucks for Ike, Offline is way better.

Sans Glutin

Smash Ace
Down tilt is easily one of my most favorite moves in Brawl. Its incredibly easy to spike people who are trying to recover without using their Up-B. It's just so fun to spike with and its a really powerful spike as well.

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
jab is rendered useless against marth, samus and bowser due to being able to up B out of it.

Personally, this fact terrifies me.

I haven't been seeing Bowzers and Samuses doing this yet, but Marths definitely are. I used to think that the match-up was even with Marth, until I started running into the players that abuse Up-B at any given opportunity. It painfully strong and fast, screws around with a lot of Ike normally "safe" attacks.

I can see Samus and Bowzer becoming annoying with their Up-B's, but thankfully their's tend to be far weaker on the hit, that is, it likely won't KO. However, I don't imagine these match-ups will become much harder, as I don't NEED my Jab Combo to build damage versus either of them.

I predict that N-air will be the next move. C'mon people, that move has practically DEFINED a lot of our games I'm sure. Its either that or the F-air, as we all use it as our primary spacing tool.

Has anyone had success with aiming your F-tilts, or is it still widely untested?

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
the move is definatly the quick draw. no doubt. and aiming your f tilts is easy? depends on what character your used to playing with. i played falcon and i always aimed his f tilt so thats easy for me. i find that the f tilt works best after 2 jabs. then again i do an up smash after 2 jabs to. which works very nice.

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
(i'm pretty sure most people are ignoreing my thoughts but here goes anyway) for the d-tilt, i dont use it unless the person im playing uses their horizontal recovery, i've gotten really good at breaking fox/falco out of the illusions

3xSwords

Smash Lord
the move is definatly the quick draw. no doubt. and aiming your f tilts is easy? depends on what character your used to playing with. i played falcon and i always aimed his f tilt so thats easy for me. i find that the f tilt works best after 2 jabs. then again i do an up smash after 2 jabs to. which works very nice.
No offense but two jabs and a u-smash is just suicide. It come out way too slow to connect, but f-tilt not as slow I guess but still I think you should follow up with a grab instead. That being said what do you guys follow up a jab cancel with? I usually do another jab or grab or d-smash.

fire_wulf

Smash Journeyman
I follow up a jab cancel with either a grab, another jab, or a forward tilt depending on the distance the opponent is at.

I like the grab to put on a little more damage then either throw them up for stringing more attacks.. or back if i can throw them off stage. The jab is self explanatory... to do another jab combo.

The forward tilt is nice if they don't expect it... adds nice damage and knock back. If they shield the tilt.. it pushes them back and gives you time to make your next move whether it be offensive or defensive. Most options are situational.. just need to train yourself to do the right move instinctively.

Question for everyone... what is the TRUE jab cancel... i have been using the shield at before the end of the animation.. but i have heard of tapping down on the control stick is faster and works better? I'm not sure.. what does everyone use?

VersatileBJN

Smash Ace
jab is rendered useless against marth, samus and bowser due to being able to up B out of it.
I always thought this was nonsense and still do. I've asked a friend to literally mash up and B as I jab combo'd him and it didn't come out once. Not once. I've tried it myself with Bowser and Samus. Samus' one came out sometimes, but never actually hit Ike. If Samus players wanna up B to get out of it only to land into a forward or up smash I say bring it on :)

Seriously though, someone needs to come up in here with video or consistent personal experience before I label jab worthless vs Marth,Samus and Bowser.

Move of the day is throw.

All of Ike's throws are decent in my opinion.

First, his grab range is pure crap, so try to slide shield throw as much as you can(though this won't happen much). Shield grabbing I find to be fairly pointless most of the time because of Jab or down smash for a quick punish when something is shielded that recovers semi quick, so I realy only throw to break down defense.

Forward throw is decent. If the opponent does not sidestep or roll you can grab them again into another forward throw or whichever throw you like. Doing this opens up more options since if they anticipate this they may jump, roll behind you, roll away from you or sidestep. If you anticipate jump you can dash into a SH uair,fair,nair or RAR bair. If you anticipate them rolling behind you can short hop nair to catch them. If you anticipate them rolling away a dash attack will catch them. Nair should catch a spot dodger as they exit out of their sidestep animation unless they sidestep again, which jabs should beat.

I rarely back throw. Obviously it's the best option if your back is facing close to the ledge, setting up edge guard. Other than that the other 3 are always better options I feel.

Down throw I tend to save up in case I need it(to avoid the move staling). Reason being if for some reasons my opponent lives to be 160% or higher it will kill a good amount of the cast then. Having it at full power makes sure that grabbing my opponent can potentially kill them, so I avoid it. At low percentages, down throw into aether is solid if the opponent can't DI for ****e.

Up throw is probably my most used. I use this to pop up instead of down throw since it really can't kill at all. Follow ups after this is just a matter of reading the opponent in the air. Don't always jump and follow them. Ground-stalk them. Follow their movement. Up tilt and up smash work very well. Up tilt because it has such high priority, and up smash to beat out a mistimed airdodge. Uair works similarly in that its active frames allow it to beat out air dodge even when the opponent air dodges as you are doing it. If the opponent goes for a laggy aerial and misses, positioning yourself next to them so they land into a forward smash or fair can work at times, but that's pure situational. One option Ike's forget about is simply letting your opponent be thrown up, watch as they air doge upon landing, grab them, and toss their *** back up in the air. This alone opens up a lot of options for you since they now have something else to worry about upon landing besides just attacks. Eruption works too because of the timing being deceptive to air dodgers, but you have to ground stalk them well and be right underneath them, or jump(don't recommend this) Fair works well if they DI in front of where Ike is facing. Short hopped fair is dope with this since if they anticipate you doing that you can short hop in their face empty as they land and grab them. Nair works because it's nair: covers both sides well, has a big hit box and good priority. Bair works out of up throw because of it's sick speed. Jumping up, doing nothing as they air dodge franticly, and Bairing right after they exit air dodge animation is sexy. Lastly, jab works well if they air dodge right before landing. If you see this coming, go near them and hold A.

So yah, contribute yall!

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
I always thought this was nonsense and still do. I've asked a friend to literally mash up and B as I jab combo'd him and it didn't come out once. Not once. I've tried it myself with Bowser and Samus. Samus' one came out sometimes, but never actually hit Ike. If Samus players wanna up B to get out of it only to land into a forward or up smash I say bring it on :)

Seriously though, someone needs to come up in here with video or consistent personal experience before I label jab worthless vs Marth,Samus and Bowser.
So yah, contribute yall!
It's 100% possible and expected when its blocked with a shield. Its extremely easy. I've tested it thoroughly, Bowzers and Samuses Up-B's aren't threatening though. However, it doesn't work if they get hit, as far as I know.

VersatileBJN

Smash Ace
It's 100% possible and expected when its blocked with a shield. Its extremely easy. I've tested it thoroughly, Bowzers and Samuses Up-B's aren't threatening though. However, it doesn't work if they get hit, as far as I know.

Yah, but saying Jab is punishable on block by up B is way different than saying Jab is worthless vs them.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
a lot of jabs a punishable by blocking. But still jab anyways waiting to get up b in the face lol. still hasn't happened to me.

throw, hmm Ike isn't dependent on throws, but throws aloud Ike to get people who are shield happy. it is possible to win without throws though.

Wolt

Smash Journeyman
Dang this moves fast.

Forward and back throws can catch people in a fsmash if they don't suspect it and roll into you. I tend to use a fair after it though. The up and down throw can easily combo into Aether, as thats an easy given, provided you fight someone who doesn't know about it, in which case theres always uair. He doesn't need throws in my opinion, but they're nice to have in case you want to mix things up.

I hope the ftilt or utilt is next, I love those moves. Aether is gonna be fun to do, in which I think we should spend 2 days discussing Quick Draw and Aether, because they have so many ways of being implemented.

Top Bottom