• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Secret to the Gentleman's Combo

philipawalker

Smash Rookie
I believe I have found a way to perform the Gentleman's Combo (AAA [Punch Punch Knee]) consistently. When hitting an opponent, if the three A's are executed as an:

- Eighth Note, Dotted Quarter, Eighth Note (8th, DQ, 8th)
- At a bpm of 200-235

the Gentleman's Combo will execute.

Here are what the ranges sound like.
200 bpm: http://www.mediafire.com/?z8svxp7e96eb3g8

235 bpm: http://www.mediafire.com/?lglo7qsrtndznsw

*This was tested against Falco, and has not been tested against other characters. I have executed it more than 30 times in succession at 235 bpm.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Or you can just hold A after the third hit assuming one or two of the first two punches hit.

Windrose

Smash Lord
I think the second of the first two hits need to hit or else it won't work.

I was practicing against a standing still pikachu. The second hit sometimes misses because he's short and you'll get the rapid jab after the third hit. I don't know if this is true or I just happen to mess up every time the second hit misses. But if the second hit connects, I never miss the gentlemen (holding the third A that is)

Windrose

Smash Lord
Do you have to change your timing of the third hit a bit to adjust? or is it still just AAA (hold) for you no matter what?

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I change the timing. I can't really explain it. It took me a long *** time to learn how to gentlemen in different situations.

Mokumo

Smash Ace
you don't have to change the timing, as long as you only press A three times and hold it the last time and as long as one of the three moves hit something (whether its a character, shield, or shy guy)

Windrose

Smash Lord
Are you sure? I just tested it out in training mode. choose a small character like pichu. I space my self in situations such that the 2nd hit in the 3 hits doesn't hit and i can't get the gentlemen. But if all 3 hits get in, i guarantee myself the gentlemen....

I don't know maybe i'm just doing it wrong or something but I'm pretty sure i'm doing it right...

AAA (hold last A).

Help :(

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
there may be a few stipulations but i can't remember, try not to do other inputs, and the timing for hold a is sort of long and awkward. hold a and also down iirc and will earn visual confirmation by the crouch so you can learn the timing.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
All I do is A A A+Z
I know it's suboptimal in every way possible (other than it doesn't give you the light shield bubble) but I can't get A A A(hold) to work for me :(

Walt

Smash Ace
Nah, you guys should just feel shame since you are playing Falcon on easy mode in the Baby Version of the game.

Windrose

Smash Lord
Don't forget the falco and sheik nerfs. Where is the challenge? XD jk.

Mokumo

Smash Ace
falcon sucks in PAL. the gentleman is possible in both games, and if you're not a ***** it's easy in NTSC. good falcons gentleman without thinking about how to do it.

falcon is worse in PAL because the knee sends them at a lower trajectory, making double/triple knees completely impractical.

Beat!

Smash Master
I've never ever heard that before. Is that really true?

The only differences I've heard of is the easier Gentleman and the removal of the Nipple Spike.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
falcon sucks in PAL. the gentleman is possible in both games, and if you're not a ***** it's easy in NTSC. good falcons gentleman without thinking about how to do it.
>implying good falcons gentlemen without thinking
>implying that Etwist is a good Falcon

something isn't adding up.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
falcon is worse in PAL because the knee sends them at a lower trajectory, making double/triple knees completely impractical.
This is false. Both the third hit of Gentleman and his Fair have the exact same hitbox damages, knockback values, angles, offsets, and sizes.

"Nipple Spike" also still exists in PAL.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Even if it was a lower trajectory is that even a bad thing
Just think about the idiotic knee gimps you can do with a trajectory as low as like, Sheik's Fair O_O
Besides Sheik can do double Fair and she's like a snail

Mokumo

Smash Ace
yeah i suppose. it sounds like it turns into an advantage but i have trouble capitalizing on it.

probably just because i'm bad/too used to ntsc

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Don't forget the falco and sheik nerfs. Where is the challenge? XD jk.
falco isnt nerfed and a sheik that knows what hes doing can still tech chase cf 0-death by reaction in pal (just wd forward and then react).
and the nerfed uair actually aids her since it improves her combo game vs cf
sheiks nerf does however make her worse...IN OTHER MATCHUPS

and arguing that the way gentleman works in ntsc is better is like arguing that fps on consoles is better then on pcs. which alot of you people probably think, because youre flopmericans who dont play games on pcs because youre scrubs with add

your point?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Mike: good luck comboing a good Falcon with any Sheik uair. Directional Influence anyone?
and Falco is definitely nerfed. his dair is not as ********.
hmmm the angle definitely seems a little bit of a lower trajectory to me. but if you have the stats to prove it i guess i can't argue.
Trajectory is 32 degrees in both games. 45 on Gentleman.

The way Gentleman works in NTSC is ********. Jabs shouldn't be technical, period.

Walt

Smash Ace
falco isnt nerfed and a sheik that knows what hes doing can still tech chase cf 0-death by reaction in pal (just wd forward and then react).
and the nerfed uair actually aids her since it improves her combo game vs cf
sheiks nerf does however make her worse...IN OTHER MATCHUPS

and arguing that the way gentleman works in ntsc is better is like arguing that fps on consoles is better then on pcs. which alot of you people probably think, because youre flopmericans who dont play games on pcs because youre scrubs with add

your point?
Nobody argued that gentlemen works better in ntsc.

I would love if knee sent at a lower angle. That sounds mad broken.

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
doesnt make much difference tbh. I get spiked just as much as an NTSC falcon would by falco. It's not hard to delay the dair a little bit, and all of falco's combos still apply.

Falco is ****ing gay really.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Only the start or the first half spikes. In NTSC all 19 active frames spike people.
oh my god what a terrible nerf, its almost impossible to time it in pal, falco should move down a tier
in practice it doesnt change jack ****
Mike: good luck comboing a good Falcon with any Sheik uair. Directional Influence anyone?
yes if you can read wether they do uair or fair perfectly every single time
in ntsc reading thats not a problem, since if youre at low percent enough for the uair to combo you you dont fear the slap quite yet
and also its still possible in some situations even if cf di's

Ryzol_

Smash Apprentice
Greenville, SC (school) Charlotte, NC(break)
Got a timing question on the gentlemen. It' AAA hold the last A, and hit some other button to interrupt rapid jab. When do you hit the other button to interrupt the rapid jab? Is it asap after holding A, or is there a brief delay?

Windrose

Smash Lord
You don't need to hit any other button to get the gentlemen/no rapid jab as long as you hold the last A.

Unless you're talking about when you can immediately move/jump/do something after gentlemen...

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Thought you needed to do something (like run) when you canceled gentleman that way
Not that I'd know ... A A A+Z for life <_<

ryankam10

Smash Journeyman
honestly a a a + z is prolly the best way and the most practical, it lets you actually follow up as opposed to a a hold a.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
honestly a a a + z is prolly the best way and the most practical, it lets you actually follow up as opposed to a a hold a.
Actually it's the opposite. AAAZ is slower, it makes you light shield at times, and it's harder to follow up.

If you AAA you can cancel the hold part with a roll, dash, jump or shield. I think AAA is over all better. AAAZ is just easier.

Windrose

Smash Lord
Actually it's the opposite. AAAZ is slower, it makes you light shield at times, and it's harder to follow up.

If you AAA you can cancel the hold part with a roll, dash, jump or shield. I think AAA is over all better. AAAZ is just easier.
That's what I thought too, but I wasn't sure as I rarely used A A A+Z. I'm still much more comfortable with AAA and just hold dash or jump, it feels easier to me too (having tried AA A+Z a bit today in training mode).

Top Bottom