• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Senate Sponsored: SWF Suggestion Box (No smiley suggestions!)

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Just because a word is supposedly one gender doesn't mean it can't be applied to both, for example "hey guys" can be directed at a group of individuals of both genders and is not seen as a problem ever.
You only think that because you're a guy. It's already been seen as a problem, as evidenced by the complaint with the request to change it. Be a little more open minded and less gender restrictive, please.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
To me "fellas" is ambiguous (depends on the context), however, historically it was a male-dominate word. Fellow is an Old Norse word, usually referred to a business partner (like for trading livestock, etc.). We could probably see why it has male connotations and why it could refer to males today.

If you want to change the description's ending, I'd suggest omitting "fellas" altogether (like what someone already mentioned) or replacing it with a gender-neutral word like, "folks", "friends", "everyone", etc. It may be more inclusive to some.

Last edited:

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Thanks for being so considerate, aerodrome. Interacting with you is always very pleasant.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Watch the Three Stooges and you know "fellas" is definitely for men!
You mean the show that started in 1930? Everything was for men 75 years ago. Use something more relevant next time you argue something.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Honestly the word fellas is not great anyways haha. It's right up there with the word buddy, which is much better as a dog's name

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
You mean the show that started in 1930? Everything was for men 75 years ago. Use something more relevant next time you argue something.
Yeah, after the great depression, women never had to get jobs and/or became actresses either. Sure. So "fellas" is used today for women? I can't argue all this over 1 word that's simple enough to change.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
It's already been changed, I'm just saying that your choice of argument is very outdated.
Even if it's still relevant today? The word is pretty much entirely known as a term used for males. I asked if the word "fellas" is used for women in present day. Is it?

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
It's used for a group of people, the same way 'guys' is.
You really see a lady walk into a room with both boys & girls and say "okay, fellas...." ? Can you give me an example?

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
@ Mic_128 Mic_128 Could do what you're suggesting, but that would result in a drop down selection to choose between like 400+ options

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
@ Hayzie Hayzie I've used it before towards a class I've been teaching (Year 6/7)

@ Mic_128 Mic_128 Could do what you're suggesting, but that would result in a drop down selection to choose between like 400+ options
Yeah, realised that right after posting, and then saw yours and realised that you were right. Quite indeed.

Last edited:

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Not a great example when you're the one doing it, but okay, point taken. I'm just trying to understand your frustration when it's a word that is strictly used towards males. It's the same reason you never see campaigns or marketing towards unisex using only "fella" or at all. You won't see a Smash Bros. trailer saying "Get ready to Smash, fellas!" especially with the higher focus for female fighters in the roster, which is unrelated to the userbase regardless.

Anyways. :4kirby:

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
@ Hayzie Hayzie I've used it before towards a class I've been teaching (Year 6/7)

Yeah, realised that right after posting, and then saw yours and realised that you were right. Quite indeed.
Are you thinking it'd be one huge dropdown list? I dunno if it's anymore feasible to create a subdropdown list based on which character you chose

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I'm just trying to understand your frustration when it's a word that is strictly used towards males.
*that used to be strictly used towards males. If you want another example, I can mention one of my uni tutors who's female, towards the tutorial, which contained mostly females (Males are the minority in the Primary Education units)

Guys used to be strictly a male thing as well, but not anymore.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
That's certainly possible, not sure if xenforo supports it though.

Think of when you pick from a list of countries, then the state you're from on some forms.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Hi, I posted this in the other suggestion thread but I'll state it again:

Could the character boards not be shut down until we know of the possibility of DLC?

Last edited:

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
The character boards will not be reopened until we know they are doing DLC. There has been no announcement of any, no hints, nothing whatsoever, as yet, to suggest any, so there's no reason to keep it open until then.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
If you ever plan to make more layout styles, is it possible to have some more light-coloured ones? 15/17 themes are dark; some have dark backgrounds, including various shades of dark blue, purple, gray, etc. (well, the Gold theme is more light, but the background is dark-ish) and sharp text colours or maybe it's just my eyes seeing this. I was thinking something akin to the light Smashboards or Tourmaline theme, especially with soft colours going on.

It's not like these dark themes are life-threatening to me. It's just a suggestion for the future, as I'm a bigger fan of light themes.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
If you ever plan to make more layout styles, is it possible to have some more light-coloured ones? 15/17 themes are dark; some have dark backgrounds, including various shades of dark blue, purple, gray, etc. (well, the Gold theme is more light, but the background is dark-ish) and sharp text colours or maybe it's just my eyes seeing this. I was thinking something akin to the light Smashboards or Tourmaline theme, especially with soft colours going on.

It's not like these dark themes are life-threatening to me. It's just a suggestion for the future, as I'm a bigger fan of light themes.
That's cool! So hers some Dark Pit. :p

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Leave it just to bother all the OCD guys who use adblock.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Has there ever been a suggestion to include a "Gift" option for the Premium section to gift Premium to others straight from Smashboards?

If so, what was the verdict on that?

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
Has there ever been a suggestion to include a "Gift" option for the Premium section to gift Premium to others straight from Smashboards?

If so, what was the verdict on that?
It's not a simple addition to make, and there is an add on to add the functionality, but it has a few bugs that need to be fixed. The author is somewhat MIA, and I've tried getting in contact with him to no real avail

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Once smash 4 releases, there will be online tournaments held for users who aren't fond of or too far from the scene. Since I have a job at a theme park, my chances of participating are limited. Might I suggest online rankings for us?

Morin0

Smash Lord
I'm getting kind of tired of this.

The entire background is one giant hyperlink! Change it up at least :mad:

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I know this is sort of a smilie suggestion, so please feel free to tell me off if so.

I was thinking it would be nice to have an icon come up when you typed in <3. It would also be cool if we had some items from Smash to use as emoticons, or give features like that to Premium users.

Again, this is more of an idea, and if it can't be implemented I understand. I just wanted to see what you guys would think.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
Oh! Some of the guys over at reddit.com/r/smashbros dug up the high quality renders and the official stock icons! Now my OCD can be satisfied. :p

Top Bottom