• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
Guys, it may be getting close to the end for Dylly.
I'm not sure if he can read or hear everything, but if you want to impart some farewells or wishes in case, this is the time.
Tell him he's been awesome, and tell him goodbye for me.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I'm not sure if he can read or hear everything, but if you want to impart some farewells or wishes in case, this is the time.
I'm glad I met him. Reminds me a lot of myself when I joined my first forum years back: happy to be part of conversations and being active 24/7. Unlike me, he doesn't irritate people. He has that innocence about him you don't see everyday on the internet which is a breath of fresh air.

Dylly, I'm praying for ya man.

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
I really wish I got that video done sooner. Dylly would've liked it.

I'm really regretting putting my work above my friends.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It may not be totally the end. We'll have to see.. It just may look like it, or it may really be it.
Either way, I wish peace,

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I really wish I got that video done sooner. Dylly would've liked it.

I'm really regretting putting my work above my friends.
Sadly, Spy, life is a son of a ***** like that. No matter how lucky or hard working we are, we're destined to turn into dust. For some, it'll be way overdue, for others, it'll be far too soon. But we gotta keep ourselves together. Because if we shatter, we're likely never going to come back from this.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Wait, who is Dylly and why is it "close to the end"? Does he have cancer or something? Regardless of that, he or she doesn't deserve to leave this world. I've been through a ton myself throughout my life, but I never gave up because life is too short and we have to make the best of it. I'm sorry to hear that Dylly is going through a lot of pain, but there are people out there that care about him or her and are willing to help. Please don't give up so soon, we are all here for you regardless if we've known you for years or just met. No one deserves to go through this at all.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
The "he's getting in" part. More specifically the "he stole a slot" part, actually.
The "he fills the indie role" part.

Steve's not indie anymore. I think he's first party now. So Steve wouldn't be able to quote-on-quote "steal" a spot.

Shantae still has DLC if not base roster. Who knows.
So I guess I'm answering both parts.

"he's getting in": I believe Vergeben. While some would say he's just guessing, I don't think so. He was able to predict not only Ridley, but when he was revealed, and Simon, who nobody would have guessed would get in had it not been for Vergeben. And while some say "oh he's being vague", I personally think he's just trying to play it safe, just in case any of his sources did give him false info. But that time hasn't come yet, if it will at all.

"he's filling the indie role/he's staling her slot": I honestly don't know if he's being counted as indie. It's up to Sakurai to see how it is. However, if Steve does get in, Shantae's support could possibly drop, since some of the people who wanted her in because she's indie are satisfied with MC. Flimsy reasoning, I know, but I can't shake the feeling.

Support means making your desire for a character in Smash known. No matter what. No leak or stupid reason given by Sakurai should be a deterrent.

It shouldn't matter whether a leak is true or not, your voice needs to be heard 24/7 until the goal is achieved... and then maybe continue for further Smashes. You can't just turn it off and on again whenever it's most convenient, because that sends mixed or insufficient signals.

You could avoid most of the drama posting things that supposedly hurt Shantae's chances if you just end them with an uplifting note to keep fighting regardless. Otherwise you come across as trying to get people to give up.
I have trouble convincing myself to be positive. Regardless, I'm happy that there are optimistic supporters, since guys like that are what led to characters like Daisy, Chrom and King K. Rool getting in. However, I have trouble thinking about further Smash games because they might not even exist.

For those of you who haven't given up hope: keep going so that maybe you can prove me wrong.

Sure hope you can pull through Dyllybirdy Dyllybirdy , but if you can't, you did a lot of good around here, and you'll be missed.
Please hold on, Dylly!

Last edited:

Splendid_Days

Smash Rookie
Oh dear... I'll pray for him.

He sounds like a great fellow and it would hurt me seeing you all lose a close friend.

Autobot N

Smash Apprentice
Praying for Dylly too!

He's losing credibility by the day.
Um, you do realize that literally the opposite is happening, right? His claims are only getting more accurate as time goes on.

You don't have to believe Vergeben. But you don't need to rant about him every time his name comes up.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Prima Leak is fake.

Vergeben...literally the only "vague" thing he's said is "Gen 7 Pokémon" along with "Square Enix character," and that's because of the info his sources gave him. He only confirmed Incineroar when all of his sources agreed on that Pokémon. His sources haven't even agreed on what Minecraft is getting.

I'm not completely sure he will turn out 100% correct, but as a reminder, he has no effect on other characters' chances.

edit: I read yall's posts about what's happening with Dylly. I offer my prayers and condolences

Last edited:

Autobot N

Smash Apprentice
Prima Leak is fake.
Mind explaining the Prima leak? I haven't been following Smashboards for the last few days, so I must have missed it.

Vergeben...literally the only "vague" thing he's said is "Gen 7 Pokémon" along with "Square Enix character," and that's because of the info his sources gave him. He only confirmed Incineroar when all of his sources agreed on that Pokémon.
Pretty much.

With Verg, we definitely shouldn't treat his words as gospel, since he could end up being Gematsu 2.0. However, it's pretty safe to say that he has at least some inside information, and should at least be taken seriously (with some skepticism, of course).

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord

"he's getting in": I believe Vergeben. While some would say he's just guessing, I don't think so. He was able to predict not only Ridley, but when he was revealed, and Simon, who nobody would have guessed would get in had it not been for Vergeben. And while some say "oh he's being vague", I personally think he's just trying to play it safe, just in case any of his sources did give him false info. But that time hasn't come yet, if it will at all.

"he's filling the indie role/he's staling her slot": I honestly don't know if he's being counted as indie. It's up to Sakurai to see how it is. However, if Steve does get in, Shantae's support could possibly drop, since some of the people who wanted her in because she's indie are satisfied with MC. Flimsy reasoning, I know, but I can't shake the feeling.

I have trouble convincing myself to be positive. Regardless, I'm happy that there are optimistic supporters, since guys like that are what led to characters like Daisy, Chrom and King K. Rool getting in. However, I have trouble thinking about further Smash games because they might not even exist.

For those of you who haven't given up hope: keep going so that maybe you can prove me wrong.

Please hold on, Dylly!
As for Steve getting in. You can believe Verg and still not have Steve in. Verg said "Minecraft would get some form of representation" He never said "Steve from Minecraft is playable)
Now, "representation" could mean a fighter, could mean a just a trophy like what Captain Video and Rayman had, could mean an assist trophy like Shovel Knight, or could mean a stage with no fighter (like Hanenebow)

Of these, should Minecraft get any representation, my bets would go to a stage. Minecraft more than any other game is about it's world more than the character and a stage would be the best way to represent it. A stage with slight randomization like the Mario Maker stage had, with destructible environments.

I could also see a creeper assist trophy as they are the most recognizable creature from minecraft that would translate pretty easily to Smash mechanics (i.e. unleash it and it runs toward an opponent and explodes if not destroyed fast enough)

As for Steve. I just don't see it. A lot would have to be changed to make him look appealing in battle among everyone else. In the source material, Minecraft avatars have no expressions and 6 points of articulation (neck, shoulders, waist and each hip) If you stick with those limitations you get a very stiff, static character which would look odd next to all the fluidly moving and flexible roster.

One could point to game and watch being no better, but he gets his expressions and personality by constantly changing shape. Further all his positions and shapes are organic, so even tho he doesn't animate between poses, they are all still starkly different from one another. With Steve, regardless of if he is swinging a sword, punching a tree or throwing a splash potion all the actions would look the same.

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman

Okay, I can't speak for everybody, but whether Vergeben is flimsy or spot on, we can all agree that he is concerning. Its irritating how he's right, and that makes us worry for our favorite.

EDIT: Crap, meant to say I think we can all agree that he is concerning.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

everyone please stop we should problably get some rest instead of arguing and going off topic people have to sleep you know I have to sleep I GOT SCHOOL TOMORROW!!! so lights out!

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Really begs the question why this guy hasn't been investigated yet and have his sources traced back to the culprit. You'd think leaking would be against some kind of law. Nintendo we know certainly hates it.

Last edited:

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Mind explaining the Prima leak? I haven't been following Smashboards for the last few days, so I must have missed it.

Pretty much.

With Verg, we definitely shouldn't treat his words as gospel, since he could end up being Gematsu 2.0. However, it's pretty safe to say that he has at least some inside information, and should at least be taken seriously (with some skepticism, of course).
The Prima leak was basically a Guy who claimed to have seen the Prima guide for smash in advance. People are taking him seriously because the Prima Guide was officially announced for preorder shortly after he leaked the information from the guide.

It had Shantae as an Participation err... I mean "Assist" trophy.

It had Shadow, Black Knight, Geno, Black Shadow, Ken, Dixie, Minecraft Steve, Vault Boy, and Mach Rider as playable Characters.

Last edited:

Autobot N

Smash Apprentice
Of these, should Minecraft get any representation, my bets would go to a stage. Minecraft more than any other game is about it's world more than the character and a stage would be the best way to represent it. A stage with slight randomization like the Mario Maker stage had, with destructible environments.

I could also see a creeper assist trophy as they are the most recognizable creature from minecraft that would translate pretty easily to Smash mechanics (i.e. unleash it and it runs toward an opponent and explodes if not destroyed fast enough)
I agree. Minecraft's significance to gaming is undeniable, and I think that a stage (and maybe a Creeper AT) would be the perfect way to represent it in Smash.

As for Steve. I just don't see it. A lot would have to be changed to make him look appealing in battle among everyone else. In the source material, Minecraft avatars have no expressions and 6 points of articulation (neck, shoulders, waist and each hip) If you stick with those limitations you get a very stiff, static character which would look odd next to all the fluidly moving and flexible roster.
This is basically my main point against Steve. Unlike most, I wouldn't be upset if Steve got in Smash. I just think that it would be very weird, since Steve's style of movement would not translate well into Smash.

The Prima leak was basically a Guy who claimed to have seen the Prima guide for smash in advance. People are taking him seriously because the Prima Guide was officially announced for preorder shortly after he leaked the information from the guide.

It had Shantae as an Participation err... I mean "Assist" trophy.

It had Shadow, Black Knight, Black Shadow, Ken, Dixie, Minecraft Steve, Vault Boy and Mach Rider as playable Characters.
Thanks!

I don't really buy it, though.

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
I still kinda wish we didn’t have to fight on these “leaks” and “rumors”, though... this isn’t what I had hoped for when making the thread.

I mainly... just wanted to see people be happy about talking about Shantae while also making friendships along the way.

I’d hate to see those friendships be severed over all this leak and rumor talk...

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
Really begs the question why this guy hasn't been investigated yet and have his sources traced back to the culprit. You'd think leaking real legit info would be against some kind of law. Nintendo we know certainly hates it.
Don't ask me how I know this..

There is a Web program called Tor that hides your tracks. If you have a VPN, and certain other deep programs, you could REALLY hide your tracks. Works too.

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
Really begs the question why this guy hasn't been investigated yet and have his sources traced back to the culprit. You'd think leaking would be against some kind of law. Nintendo we know certainly hates it.
Vergeben only announces his leaks when all his sources agree on something. This is potentially to counteract measures used to root out leakers. If every team is told of a fake fighter unique to that team, then you can find out there the leak came from systematically.

I still kinda wish we didn’t have to fight on these “leaks” and “rumors”, though... this isn’t what I had hoped for when making the thread.

I mainly... just wanted to see people be happy about talking about Shantae while also making friendships along the way.

I’d hate to see those friendships be severed over all this leak and rumor talk...
Yellow, we are mostly together and getting along. It's too bad that it's not the case for everyone but if we try to be the best person we can hopefully it'll rub off.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

Pretty much.

Someone claimed to have the Prima guide for Ultimate, and gave a long list of characters, assist trophies, and stages.

Things that really stick out about it:

-Wii Remote Safety Guy is an assist trophy
-Vault Boy and HELIOS One from Fallout are in

Also, yeah. Vergeben could end up having incorrect information, but at the moment, there's no reason to not at least keep his information in mind. Still, however, if he is correct, he doesn't have complete info. Any other characters could come along as well; I just hope people realize this so that they stop freaking out. Not only does it hurt anyone who does like Steve or any other character they may be freaking out about, there's really no reason to do so, and they could end up hurting themselves if they keep stressing so much.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey

Oh yeah... I personally wished that we could have a "silencer" for certain things, but it might not really be used in the "right" way.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Isabelle is probably the reason Minecraft Steve is suddenly popping up in these leaks(that coupled with Vergeben claiming that there will be some sort of Minecraft content). Alot of these leakers are probably of the mindset "Hey, if Isabelle was shoehorned as a Unique playable fighter solely because she is from a lucrative series then a Minecraft rep is a shoe-inn!".

I've seen this sentiment echoed among users in other message boards, and it wouldn't be surprising if some fake leakers picked it up. Because, all the justifications cited for Isabelle's inclusion can also be applied to Steve; In spades.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Isabelle is probably the reason Minecraft Steve is suddenly popping up in these leaks(that coupled with Vergeben claiming that there will be some sort of Minecraft content). Alot of these leakers are probably of the mindset "Hey, if Isabelle was shoehorned as a Unique playable fighter solely because she is from a lucrative series then a Minecraft rep is a shoe-inn!".

I've seen this sentiment echoed among users in other message boards, and it wouldn't be surprising if some fake leakers picked it up. Because, all the justifications cited for Isabelle's inclusion can also be applied to Steve; In spades.

And let’s not forget fake leakers herd about Bethesda and smash (which would break an nda)

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Someone claimed to have the Prima guide for Ultimate, and gave a long list of characters, assist trophies, and stages.

Things that really stick out about it:

-Wii Remote Safety Guy is an assist trophy
-Vault Boy and HELIOS One from Fallout are in

Also, yeah. Vergeben could end up having incorrect information, but at the moment, there's no reason to not at least keep his information in mind. Still, however, if he is correct, he doesn't have complete info. Any other characters could come along as well; I just hope people realize this so that they stop freaking out. Not only does it hurt anyone who does like Steve or any other character they may be freaking out about, there's really no reason to do so, and they could end up hurting themselves if they keep stressing so much.
Im pretty sure Nintendo has never officially recognized the "character" in the wii instructions bits as being an actual character. its a meme made by the community.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Im pretty sure Nintendo has never officially recognized the "character" in the wii instructions bits as being an actual character. its a meme made by the community.
But to be fair, Nintendo has acknowledged fan memes before. Like during 2015's E3 when they kept repeating the Fan Memes "My body is Ready" and "Do a Barrel Role."

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration

Except Isabelle is a Nintendo character with an actual design and personality, unlike the colored blocks that make up "Steve".

Top Bottom