• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Sheik Strategy & QnA

gm jack

Smash Lord
It's about learning the match up. I'm pretty good at it, but it's still pretty bad because of the whole "make a mistake, get tippered and get edge guarded" part of the match up. However, if you keep yourself outside his range in neutral situations, and as soon as you get a hit, keep up the pressure, you can get good damage.

Even without the lulz worthy grab combos the NSTC sheik's get, it's matter of getting grab to push him into bad positions, tilts and aerials to build percents to take him off stage and then gimping him as appropriate.

Also, never approach unless you have an opening. You have the projectile, so don't even run at a Marth. It usually ends badly because it allows him to really abuse his range and mobility on the ground.

Reptar

Smash Apprentice
So your basically saying abuse needles and camp it out? when he rushes down grab and tilt punish?

soap

Smash Hero
I like fighting marths.

fox trot to boost grab is what I mostly do during the matchup.

needles are not overrated at all. Just charge them up a little bit and marth will come running right at you.

I do alot of needle turn bairs in this matchup. allows u to aerial outside of marths utilt range and over his dtilt.

you need to play very carefully and smart however to get around his range, but much more manageable than fox imo

Ministry

Smash Ace
I will try that soap. I also need to WD OOS more. I do it, but clearly not enough.

@ Sveet

I never said he has the advantage, I just think its not a free win against a good marth.

Witchblade

Smash Cadet
Quick off-topic question: for how many frames do ledge attack and ledge roll hog the edge? Is it really the same duration and does it matter if you're over 100%?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
-------------------------------------
Ledge stand <100%

Total: 34
Invincible: 1-30
Ledge stand 100%>

Total: 59
Invincible: 1-55
Ledge roll <100%

Total: 49
Invincible: 1-39
Ledge roll 100%>

Total: 79
Invincible: 1-71
Ledge attack <100%

Total: 54
Invulnerable: 1-21
Hit: 25-34
Ledge attack 100%>

Total: 69
Invulnerable: 1-53
Hit: 57-59
Ledge jump <100%

Total: 57
Invulnerable: 1-14
Soonest FF: 40
Ledge jump 100%>

Total: 57
Invincible: 1-19
Soonest FF: 45

Reptar

Smash Apprentice
did you have all of these presaved and awaiting the question orrr copy and paste from another thread because this is some good stuff in s ashort period of time

h!tboxexplo!ter

Smash Ace
If you throw a full flurry of needles (and this next part is the most important) and exactly 1 uncharged needle, they will run at you like the world is ending. I have literally never seen a different reaction.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Oh, wow, so ledge attacks hog the edge longer than rolls <100%, but vice versa >100%. Does it matter for the duration if the animation is interrupted, i.e. if you're hit during the animation?
yeah if u get hit during your roll, you are no longer "occupying" the edge.

h!tboxexplo!ter

Smash Ace
Here's an anagram for captain falcon.
Fact: lion can't plan.
I therefore deduce that the reason the lion can't plan (to be top tier) is because of the thorn (sheiks needles) in his paw(nch?)
So speaking of needles and back to samus... it seems that some standing missiles go over my needles. Am I supposed to chafe needles for those, or jab/etc. ?

Witchblade

Smash Cadet
I have a new question.

What do you guys do if you land in front of a marth after aerialing in his shield? I find that most of the traditional options in that situation don't work. Dsmash doesn't push him back far enough (magnetic hands ftl), ftilt is too slow, jab just delays the shieldgrab and grab isn't reliably fast enough. I have most success with uptilt, dtilt and evasive stuff (buffered dodges).

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
That largely depends on how close you are to marth when you land.

Uptilt is nice because it strikes players as an odd move and not many people really get how to counter the move so uptilt is a good idea if you misspaced. If I want to be safe I usually do dash away if I spaced right. Sometimes I just do another SH fair/land grab if they're scared.

soap

Smash Hero
I have a new question.

What do you guys do if you land in front of a marth after aerialing in his shield? I find that most of the traditional options in that situation don't work. Dsmash doesn't push him back far enough (magnetic hands ftl), ftilt is too slow, jab just delays the shieldgrab and grab isn't reliably fast enough. I have most success with uptilt, dtilt and evasive stuff (buffered dodges).
I usually dash away if spaced right.

but i do autocancelled fair into a grab on shields quite a bit. It doesn't technically work framewise, but I catch people with it quite a bit

john!

Smash Hero
I have a new question.

crouch lol

soap

Smash Hero
I have a new question.

Was just watching some vids from this past weekend.
Turns out I had my first bracket match recorded last weekend against a marth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPWilOMR64s&feature=fvwk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72LS1a107Jc&feature=fvwk

keep in mind this is my first tourney since pound 4.... And the marth's not that good

Reptar

Smash Apprentice
when i approach with sheik should i approach with a nair, or just weave through plats or soemthing, basically my question is whats the most effective way to get in?

Reptar

Smash Apprentice
yea sorry, Your right ill be more specific next time and ok, ill start trying to fair for aproaching

Top Bottom